Rumor: Pagnotta: Josh Bailey's name keeps popping up as the player getting traded so NYI can sign Kadri and RFAs. Varlamov staying

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If the tanking teams demand a 1st to take Bailey, I think the Jets could take him for a slightly lesser payment, like 2 2nds. Jets don't have a ton of flexibility but they do have enough space for Bailey and they could use his abilities.
Not saying this can’t happen but to summarize:

Isles sign a 32 yo to a potential 7x7 contract while they lose a productive but limited second line forward and then also lose 2 second round picks from their team with one of the weaker farm systems in the league.

:huh:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area

Isles sign a 32 yo to a potential 7x7 contract while they lose a productive but limited second line forward and then also lose 2 second round picks from their team with one of the weaker farm systems in the league.

Yeah, it's bizarre, and yet rumour is that it's true that Lou is gonna do this.

Reactions: lanky

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If the tanking teams demand a 1st to take Bailey, I think the Jets could take him for a slightly lesser payment, like 2 2nds. Jets don't have a ton of flexibility but they do have enough space for Bailey and they could use his abilities.
Not paying 2 2nds for Bailey.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Saying Brock Nelson would not be claimed is just McSilly.
By Who exactly? Onlys enario woukd be player injured goes on LTIR to make room.

Chicago and arizona are tanking fir 1OA

buffalo and Anaheim have a young team due contract raises in 3 yrs.

all 4 want to keep cap space open fir 2024 UFA season with Matthews, Aho, and others. Even if not signing them, they could get some really good players from teams who want to. Taking on year 3 hurts those plans.

If they shorten their roster to 13/7/2. Do you want to sacrifice a roster spot?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Nelson at $6m/AAV for 3 more years is a good contract for a good player....he had 37 goals last year! Can't see the Islanders shopping him.

Per Cap Friendly, the Islanders have $11.2M in cap space:
-Sign Kadri ($8m/AAV?) = $3.2M in cap space
-Trade Bailey+ ($5M) = $8.2M in cap space
*-Sign Dobson (5x$6.5?) = $1.7M in cap space
-Trade Bellow - only remaining RFA

If the Dobson deal cost more than $8.3M/AAV (which I can't see Lou paying) or additional $$$ are needed to fill out the roster...then move JGP or Mayfield.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
When Kadri finally signs somewhere, Pagnotta will break the story 12 minutes after Friedman tweets it.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Wouldn't moving Brock Nelson make a bit more sense?
There isn't a lot of cap league-wide, and Islanders want to keep Nelson more than they want to keep Bailey. If they make a trade, the options are "make a relatively cap-neutral trade and get proper value, but it doesn't solve your cap problem, which is why you wanted to make a trade in the first place", or alternatively "send cap the other way and get nothing or less than nothing back for it". If they're going to give away a play for free, Islanders would much prefer to lose Bailey than Nelson.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Nelson at $6m/AAV for 3 more years is a good contract for a good player....he had 37 goals last year! Can't see the Islanders shopping him.

-Trade Bailey+ ($5M/AAV) = $8.2M in cap space

If the Dobson deal cost more than $8.3M/AAV (which I can't see Lou paying)...then move JGP or Mayfield.

I think the intention of suggesting Nelson is that a hockey trade might be able to be consummated vs the limited cap dump options. So rather than paying or giving away Bailey for free, Isles are paid a fee to downgrade from Nelson and take the cap space to extend/sign whoever they are targeting.

I think Flames can absorb around 2-2.5 mil in cap after extending their last RFA.

If it's something like... Flames take Nelson and return Monahan retained to give that 2 million to the Isles + a little more, could that concept work for the Isles? That way there's an evaluation of a option other than the premium to the teams aiming to weaponize cap space to absorb cap space this season?

Isles could be running Barzal, Kadri and Monahan down the middle. Flames fans are hopeful Monahan makes a 2/3C comeback for us. We don't expect him to be LTIR, but TBH, there's so many fans out there that seem to consider LTIR cap space a bonus anyways. Monahan has one year left, so expires at a good time to allow a UFA Kadri signing to fit in future seasons.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I find it hard to believe that Lou would go over $7M for Kadri. That's' the highest salary on the team right now, and he's gotten guys like Pelech and Pulock to sign team friendly long term deals. Paying Kadri $8M would kind of mess with things.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
I find it hard to believe that Lou would go over $7M for Kadri. That's' the highest salary on the team right now, and he's gotten guys like Pelech and Pulock to sign team friendly long term deals. Paying Kadri $8M would kind of mess with things.
Defensive-minded players are undervalued. A smart GM would exploit this.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain

-Trade Bailey+ ($5M) = $8.2M in cap space

If the Dobson deal cost more than $8.3M/AAV (which I can't see Lou paying) or additional $$$ are needed to fill out the roster...then move JGP or Mayfield.
Don’t forget about Romanov…

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

This is what happens when your 80 year old GM backs himself into a plan instead of having a plan pre free agency.

Mad respect for Lou, but he has too much emotion invested into Kadri from his time in TO.

Time for him to hand over the keys and ride off into the sunset before making a big move that is going to cripple the franchise for the better part of a decade.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
the issue is that it is for 2 years at 5 million AAV, for a player who will be 33 and 34 years old. Forwards tend to age faster as well

So yeah, it's a big cost to unload
The way Josh Bailey plays he’s good to do his norm for years

He rarely gets hit or dishes one out. He prefers to read the play and react. For nearly a thousand games and rarely injured.

Canuckle

West Coast Express
Feb 20, 2008
I just want to remind everyone that Lou Lamoriello traded:

Devon Toews
2022 1st round pick

For

Alexander Romanov
2021 2nd round pick
2022 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

TERRIBLE asset management

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Devon Toews
2022 1st round pick

For

Alexander Romanov
2021 2nd round pick
2022 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

:huh::skeptic:

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp

Devon Toews
2022 1st round pick

For

Alexander Romanov
2021 2nd round pick
2022 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

Dude what is so hard to understand.

The jury is out on the Romanov deal. A mid round first in a weak draft for a guy who they believe will lock into a top 4 role for years to come is a good deal. Wayyy too much stock being put into unknown draft picks. Isles have had the ability to watch Romanov develop and move to the cusp of a top 4. What guarantee can u give me that Frank Nazar develops into anything beyond a 3rd liner?

As for Toews, how many times does this need to be spelled out? He was a cap casualty and wasn’t the player he is currently playing in a wide open offensive system. The deal stung when it was made and now as well. I’d have preferred them to move Leddy but at the time he was the suprerior player of the two.

So let’s stop the nonsense. These were both fine if not necesssary trades.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Devon Toews
2022 1st round pick

For

Alexander Romanov
2021 2nd round pick
2022 2nd round pick
2022 4th round pick

I'm entertained by the logic that trading away a 26 year old defenseman with a career high of 28 points was a mistake because his improvement should have been anticipated juxtaposes with the logic that trading for a 22 year old defenseman was a mistake because he is too old to continue improving his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad