Rumor: Pagnotta: Josh Bailey's name keeps popping up as the player getting traded so NYI can sign Kadri and RFAs. Varlamov staying

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Because GMs aren't going to help out Lou so he can sign Kadri, If Lou wants to move out Bailey it's going to cost him big time. Perhaps as much as a 1st or 2 2nds or a 2nd and B prospect he's 32 making 2 x $5,000,000 and i'm sure few teams are dying to take on that cap hit right now. Most teams are either over tight up against the cap or have an internal budget like Anaheim and Buffalo.
Buffalo is not operating with an internal cap per se. Sure the owner wants to use as little as possible to help recoup the loses from Covid. For buffalo they have a bunch of young players on the team. Most of the regular dressed roster will be players drafted between 2016-21. The only players pre 2016 draft are Skinner, Girgensons, Okposo, Olofsson , starting goalie ( both older) , and possibly Hinostroza/ Bjork if they are dressed.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Because GMs aren't going to help out Lou so he can sign Kadri, If Lou wants to move out Bailey it's going to cost him big time. Perhaps as much as a 1st or 2 2nds or a 2nd and B prospect he's 32 making 2 x $5,000,000 and i'm sure few teams are dying to take on that cap hit right now. Most teams are either over tight up against the cap or have an internal budget like Anaheim and Buffalo.

Andrew Ladd cost two 2nds to unload with the exact same contract Bailey has now.

Ladd was/is an absolute zero while Bailey is a solid middle-6 winger.

Ladd was 35. Bailey is 32.

Clearing out Ladd enabled Lou to sign Palmieri. Bailey would help with Kadri.

Not saying the Isles wouldn't pay, but I think you're overestimating the price.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Andrew Ladd cost two 2nds to unload with the exact same contract Bailey has now.

Really i'm over hyping the situation, Let's look at it this way. Only about 5 teams can afford to take on Baileys salary without moving out any bodies, That's basically Anaheim who has an internal budget, Buffalo ditto as Anaheim. Arizona and Chicago who are tanking and that basically only leaves Detroit who is set with their roster. So i'm hardly over hyping the situation seeing that Lamoriello doesn't have many trading partners so yeah that ups the price on Bailey tremendously.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

idk, with Ladd it is 5 million in real dollars (2.5 per year) to pay for 11 million of cap space. It had value for a team to reach the floor

With Bailey it is 7 million salary for 10 million of space. Plus, these teams have already made their moves to reach the floor.

I do agree with you about the point that Bailey should be worth more of as a player, but he will be 33 and 34 for this deal. I think the Ladd cost is comparable. I do admire Lou for trying to pretend they are just trying to dump Bailey to get Kadri, as if he'd rather keep Bailey if he could, but this is clearly a negative value player and in a huge way. That 2nd year is the killer.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If Lou really did come to a deal with Kadri, at some point he will have to file that and announce it. But after that he doesn't have to move out salary until 10/13. That's 2 months from now. Things can happen in the meantime.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
this is clearly a negative value player and in a huge way. That 2nd year is the killer.
Bailey looks the same now on the ice as he did when he was 20. He does not play a style that ages a guy's body. He'll be an effective player getting .6 or .7 points per game when he's 35+. This is not Mike Peca we're talking about. :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The price to sell off players has increased this season for Bailey vs last season for Ladd.

For teams taking on cap dumps the price is usually more focused on how much cash the team has to pay the player and the cap hit. Arizona for example doesn’t care one bit whether Bailey is a better player then Ladd—the team is tanking, not trying to improve for 2022-23. Arizona simply wants to be paid to take on the overpriced contracts based on remaining cash and AAV.

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Just using the Coyotes as an example, they really wouldn’t care that Bailey is a bit younger or that he is better than Ladd. He doesn’t have trade value and they’re not trying to win. Neither Bailey nor Ladd have trade value and neither are LTIR candidates. Ladd was a fine 4th liner in AZ. Good leader and played hard. Set a good example. Bailey should put up quite a few more points. But it really doesn’t matter to AZ. They want last place anyway.

It all comes down to balancing the cash and the assets. I really don’t think on-ice production is a factor. At least not for AZ.

Reactions: shadow1 and mouser

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There’s just too many teams trying to move cap right now, and only a few who will take it. So if there’s 10 teams trying to dump $4-$5 million and only 3-4 who have a slot available? The price is insane. Not only that, the chance they take a player with more than a year lessens by the day. They’re either taking a better player than the team was looking to dump, or they’re taking huge sweeteners.

The Isles don’t have that other player like a Bjorkstrand to move. So they’re going to pay a really nice asset to move one of the three guys they’d likely consider to move, and frankly, those 3-4 teams (who can take salary) probably have better options to take right now.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The price to sell off players has increased this season for Bailey vs last season for Ladd.

For teams taking on cap dumps the price is usually more focused on how much cash the team has to pay the player and the cap hit. Arizona for example doesn’t care one bit whether Bailey is a better player then Ladd—the team is tanking, not trying to improve for 2022-23. Arizona simply wants to be paid to take on the overpriced contracts based on remaining cash and AAV.

to add

this is not a close to net zero trade
everybody knows why he wants to move Bailey
how many teams have$5M in cap space? About 4-5.
do any of them need Bailey— no. Their rosters are set.

it’s just like the real estate market.

a cap neutral trade you’d get fair value. You are

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Moving Bailey is going to be so expensive to the Islanders.

I’m a vacuum, Nelson should have a lot of value. But we’re not in a vacuum. If Nelson were waived today, I’m not sure he’d get claimed. Who claims him? No contender has the cap space. So which non contender signs up for 3 years of a 30+ year old that doesn’t time up with their core and won’t have treated value until he’s a rental in 2+ years.

Saying Brock Nelson would not be claimed is just McSilly.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If Kadri wants 9M aav, then forget about it, Lou. He is not worth that, especially if that kind of salary should translate to a problem retaining young Isles core players or losing too many high picks and prospects. Isles can stay status quo for another year and hope some players will break out or rebound next season, or the year after, or land a top prospect in the entry draft if the team should regress further next season and end up in the bottom 10. Let that 9M aav be another team's bad contract - maybe Detroit, Sens, or? I say $7M aav at the most for someone his age.

There are some bigger name UFAs next season too to go after and maybe by then, they may find cap space.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Saying Brock Nelson would not be claimed is just McSilly.

Is it, though?

Take a look at the teams that could fit him in:

Sabres, Senators and Ducks are more or less confirmed to be on a budget and probably can't afford to add 6m to their payroll for 3 more years for a 30+ year old player.

The Yotes and Blackhawks are tanking hard which a player like Nelson would hurt. Especially considering that with his rather large salary (for a contender who usually already has his core pieces in place) for three more years he can't be flipped for assets at the deadline to a contender most likely.

That leaves the Stars who need the money to sign Robertson and Oettinger and Detroit.

So yeah. And considering that Yzerman needs money to extend Larkin and a few others over the next few years, I am not even sure he would claim him.

Not saying that this would happen and there is a decent chance one of these GMs claims him anyways but it is not as unlikely as you make it out to be.

Capspace is as valuable right now as it has ever been. Its crazy . Everybody wants to free up cap but nobody has the space or budget or will to help out.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Again, the Sabres do not have a internal cap/budget. If a good player were to magically appear that wouldn’t interfere with their prospect’s growth we would open up our check book.

The Sabres are presently well under the cap due to their roster being incredibly young and lacking large contracts. Skinner pretty much stands alone.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Is it, though?

Sabres, Senators and Ducks are more or less confirmed to be on a budget and probably can't afford to add 6m to their payroll for 3 more years for a 30+ year old player.

The Yotes and Blackhawks are tanking hard which a player like Nelson would hurt. Especially considering that with his rather large salary (for a contender who usually already has his core pieces in place) for three more years he can't be flipped for assets at the deadline to a contender most likely.

That leaves the Stars who need the money to sign Robertson and Oettinger and Detroit.

So yeah. And considering that Yzerman needs money to extend Larkin and a few others over the next few years, I am not even sure he would claim him.

Not saying that this would happen and there is a decent chance one of these GMs claims him anyways but it is not as unlikely as you make it out to be.

Capspace is as valuable right now as it has ever been. Its crazy . Everybody wants to free up cap but nobody has the space or budget or will to help out.
It's McSilly.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Is it, though?

There is 100% a GM claims him.

Reactions: The Real JT

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Kadri is taking longer to sign than he usually takes trying to "avoid" a goaltender while crashing the crease.

My Best-Carey

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The Isles don’t have that other player like a Bjorkstrand to move. So they’re going to pay a really nice asset to move one of the three guys they’d likely consider to move, and frankly, those 3-4 teams (who can take salary) probably have better options to take right now.
I mean, they kind of do in Beauvillier. (Hasn't been quite the finisher + had a bad year last year, but he's been pretty comparable).

Still NYI moving salary to secretly sign Kadri to a big long term deal seems more incredible by the day. This is not an RFA resigning, the signing of a 37 year old to a 1 year contract, or even the resigning of a UFA that everyone knew about despite it being unannounced. The way people talk about LL, he is either incompetent or employs jedi mind tricks on the whole pro hockey world. Seems sillier and sillier.

The way I think things stand now is that nothing will happen with NYI (beyond signing of RFA's, which I do believe LL could keep silent) until camp starts + injuries or other surprises create opportunities.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If the tanking teams demand a 1st to take Bailey, I think the Jets could take him for a slightly lesser payment, like 2 2nds. Jets don't have a ton of flexibility but they do have enough space for Bailey and they could use his abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad