Proposal: Pacioretty for O'Reilly (other adds)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah he's consistently a 1st line center. 60 points a year is a 1st line player. He led the led the league in icetime for forwards 2 seasons ago and came in the top 10 again this year. Totally a 2nd line player. :laugh: O'Reilly gets the tough defensive zone matchups because he's elite at the faceoff dot and is elite defensively. Jack Eichel takes more of the offensive zone starts because "gasp" he's an elite young offensive player and his defensive game is nowhere near O'Reilly's. This isn't really that difficult to grasp. If you'd like I can get the crayons out for you and draw you a picture.

:laugh:

You can argue ice time, defensive zone starts, etc. etc. all you want. Anybody with half a brain knows the guy simply isn't a #1C.

You completely ignore so many factors when spewing your stats it's actually hilarious. ROR was Top 10 in ice time and yet he still only managed 34 even strength points, not exactly impressive. Of course in actual reality he led the league in ice time because he played major PP minutes and major PK minutes, which have very little effect on calling the guy a 1C, the majority of 1Cs dont play heavy PK minutes like O'Reilly does because they're much more useful at even strength and generate points.

ROR starts a lot of his shifts in the Defensive zone? That's because the ENTIRE BUFFALO SABRES team starts the majority of their shifts in the Defensive zone. Bad teams tend to have this happen to them.

Being elite at face-offs has nothing to do with being a 1C either. Derek Ryan is elite at faceoffs is he a 1C? Evgeni Malkin is awful at them, does that make him not a 1C?

Is Nazem Kadri a 1C? He had more even strength points(36 versus ROR's 34), in less games, getting less ice time, tougher matchups, and an even lower Offensive Zone start% on a team that actually started more then 50% of its shifts in the offensive zone?

Patrice Bergeron is the best two-way player in the game but he started 60% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Do you know why(Obviously you dont)? Because he's also an elite player who creates a tonne of offense at even strength so his coach puts him out in favorable situations to create this offense. That's what 1Cs do. It doesn't matter if they're elite defensively or not. A 1C has to be able to generate high end offense on the PP but especially at even strength. Ryan O'Reilly plain and simple does not do this at the rate a 1C does.

It's his defensive game that makes him a truly elite 2C and one of the very best in the game because he can take those difficult defensive assignments and harder minutes and not only play the role fairly well, but also can create some offense in those minutes. But he doesn't create offense well enough to be a 1C. If he did he would get more opportunities and favorable minutes to do so. But he cant.

Call Ryan O'Reilly a #1C is actually an insult to the legit #1Cs in the league who play those extremely tough defensive minutes and on top of that produce offense at elite 5 on 5 numbers. Alex Barkov(Who plays even tougher minutes then O'Reilly), Patrice Bergeron, Anze Kopitar, Sean Couturier.

Those are the #1Cs who actually play tough minutes and also generate major offense in those tough minutes. Ryan O'Reilly is not one of those guys.

The frustrating part of this argument is I actually love ROR's game and would absolutely in a second trade for him to be the 2C behind the Avs. He's elite at what he does. But arguing that he's a 2C and using stats to back it up, but failing to use the stats in proper context is incredibly frustrating and now you've got me taking what looks like an extremely negative stance on one of my favorite players in the game today. Calling him an elite 2C is not an insult to him at all. There's very, very few players in the league who are better at what they do then ROR. Nazem Kadri might be the only one. But neither guy is a #1C.

Ask Leaf fans if they think Kadri is a 1C. I guarantee you 90% of them will say no but he's one of the best 2Cs in the game. The exact same thing applies to O'Reilly.

Reactions: Shad

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
:laugh:

You can argue ice time, defensive zone starts, etc. etc. all you want. Anybody with half a brain knows the guy simply isn't a #1C.

You completely ignore so many factors when spewing your stats it's actually hilarious. ROR was Top 10 in ice time and yet he still only managed 34 even strength points, not exactly impressive. Of course in actual reality he led the league in ice time because he played major PP minutes and major PK minutes, which have very little effect on calling the guy a 1C, the majority of 1Cs dont play heavy PK minutes like O'Reilly does because they're much more useful at even strength and generate points.

ROR starts a lot of his shifts in the Defensive zone? That's because the ENTIRE BUFFALO SABRES team starts the majority of their shifts in the Defensive zone. Bad teams tend to have this happen to them.

Being elite at face-offs has nothing to do with being a 1C either. Derek Ryan is elite at faceoffs is he a 1C? Evgeni Malkin is awful at them, does that make him not a 1C?

Is Nazem Kadri a 1C? He had more even strength points(36 versus ROR's 34), in less games, getting less ice time, tougher matchups, and an even lower Offensive Zone start% on a team that actually started more then 50% of its shifts in the offensive zone?

Patrice Bergeron is the best two-way player in the game but he started 60% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Do you know why(Obviously you dont)? Because he's also an elite player who creates a tonne of offense at even strength so his coach puts him out in favorable situations to create this offense. That's what 1Cs do. It doesn't matter if they're elite defensively or not. A 1C has to be able to generate high end offense on the PP but especially at even strength. Ryan O'Reilly plain and simple does not do this at the rate a 1C does.

It's his defensive game that makes him a truly elite 2C and one of the very best in the game because he can take those difficult defensive assignments and harder minutes and not only play the role fairly well, but also can create some offense in those minutes. But he doesn't create offense well enough to be a 1C. If he did he would get more opportunities and favorable minutes to do so. But he cant.

Call Ryan O'Reilly a #1C is actually an insult to the legit #1Cs in the league who play those extremely tough defensive minutes and on top of that produce offense at elite 5 on 5 numbers. Alex Barkov(Who plays even tougher minutes then O'Reilly), Patrice Bergeron, Anze Kopitar, Sean Couturier.

Those are the #1Cs who actually play tough minutes and also generate major offense in those tough minutes. Ryan O'Reilly is not one of those guys.

The frustrating part of this argument is I actually love ROR's game and would absolutely in a second trade for him to be the 2C behind the Avs. He's elite at what he does. But arguing that he's a 2C and using stats to back it up, but failing to use the stats in proper context is incredibly frustrating and now you've got me taking what looks like an extremely negative stance on one of my favorite players in the game today. Calling him an elite 2C is not an insult to him at all. There's very, very few players in the league who are better at what they do then ROR. Nazem Kadri might be the only one. But neither guy is a #1C.

Ask Leaf fans if they think Kadri is a 1C. I guarantee you 90% of them will say no but he's one of the best 2Cs in the game. The exact same thing applies to O'Reilly.
Yeah I can make valid arguments all day and it won't have any impact. You've dug in on this ridiculous stance and you're prepared to die on that hill with no one else supporting you. Best of luck to you bud I've wasted enough time on you.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Both teams fans will hate it, but...
Pacioretty Nylander/or SJ first
Danault O’Reilly
Weber Scandella

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Fits no need for the Sabres, and the value is not there. Bad proposal

No needs? Sabres LW's for next season are: Girgensons-Nylander-Nolan-Wilson. Its just the worst deph in the NHL at LW.

But your right its fit no need at all......

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
No needs? Sabres LW's for next season are: Girgensons-Nylander-Nolan-Wilson. Its just the worst deph in the NHL at LW.

Yeah... fills no needs as an organization. The Sabres aren't winning the cup next year. Pacioretty will either be gone or will have so declined he will be a contract the Sabres wish they could dump by the time they need that scoring lw for the playoffs.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Pacioretty +2nd (#35 pick) + Lindgren (under some condition Pacioretty resigns)

for

O'Reilly + 2nd (#32 pick)

Not happening. O'Reilly is the better player and this is basically O'Reilly for Patches and Lindgren which isn't enough. Please stop thinking that there is any traction for an almost 30 year old offensive only forward who while would help Jack, doesn't fix our overall issue. Team speed. In fact this is downright insulting. The pick is worth more than moving down to 35, and additionally O'Reilly is a better younger forward. Not a chance. O'Reilly is not going to be traded to Montreal for anything less than #3 and futures. We're the worst team in multiple categories and adding a player whose at the start of his decline makes zero sense. We're not buying anyone out which further signals a slow process. Why trade for Patches when we can overpay a 30's something for a year or two. Please stop making P'Reilly to Montreal threads, it isn't happening.

Reactions: normaliswear

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

We have other ways to acquire LW than to send our best overall hockey player to a rival when it doesn't help the team now or long term. Just stop, you're convincing no one.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah... fills no needs as an organization. The Sabres aren't winning the cup next year. Pacioretty will either be gone or will have so declined he will be a contract the Sabres wish they could dump by the time they need that scoring lw for the playoffs.

Fair enough. If the Sabres are planing to tank for another 3-4 years in that case I can see your point.

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Both teams fans will hate it, but...
Pacioretty Nylander/or SJ first
Danault O’Reilly
Weber Scandella

HAH, No. We're not trading for a broken down 30 something defensemen who just had major surgery. Buffalo is not trading you O'Reilly, Nylander, a first and Scandella for Patches, a broken down in decline Weber and Danault. This is even more insulting.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
We have other ways to acquire LW than to send our best overall hockey player to a rival when it doesn't help the team now or long term. Just stop, you're convincing no one.

Convincing?

I don't care about O'Reilly at all..... I want MTL to tank for the next 3 years so I want first round pick back not a second line center.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
A trade around these three is not crazy if Buffalo really wants to move O'Reilly. I think though Montreal needs to add more value. I think Buffalo would need to know they can extend him to a deal that makes sense before the move. If they could do that a couple 2nds should close the gap, maybe a bit more. I don't see Buffalo adding anything.

Patches could help with a much needed culture change and give Eichel a proper LW to work with. Montreal get's their C.

Yes, yes it is crazy. Because not only are we trading the best player in the draft, we're playing a better pick with more value. As someone always slips. Not only is this infeasible, it's a laugh. O'Reilly is up for the Lady Bing, led the league in face off wins and appearances and over the past five years has been an above average regular who plays in all situations. Moving him for that package is a joke. We're looking for #3, Poehling, and a defensive prospect at the minimum. Patches doesn't fit the structure or at the pace that Botterill/Housely want to play. So again, look at the overall situation and this screams "NO".

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Terrible for the Sabres!

Considering the little return for Galchenyuk, there is no chance Buffalo would accept this package. Pacioretty will have more value to a competitive vs rebuilding team. The HABs need to include their 1st - 3rd (unlikely) or package prospects with their 2nds:

ROR

For

Pacioretty
Poehling
Mete
2018 2nd-35th (MTL)
2018 2nd-38th (CHI)

This is closer to reality and it still makes no sense for the Sabres to trade for Pacioretty who could walk after a year.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Lol being realistic isn't tanking. But if ya think that will sell this garbage trade offer I have bad news for ya.

I DON'T WANT O'REILLY.

Is it better for you guys? you can read that? Nice!

BTW garbage doesn't equal Pacioretty, he would be Buffalo best goalscorers 7th of last 8th seasons.... go figure!

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
I DON'T WANT O'REILLY.

Is it better for you guys? you can read that? Nice!

BTW garbage doesn't equal Pacioretty, he would be Buffalo best goalscorers 7th of last 8th seasons.... go figure!
I guess you haven't quite figured out the laws of physics. Yes... garbage... see the Sabres wouldn't be trading for Pacioretty's last 8 years, they'd be trading for his one contract year left and the possibility of overpaying for his declining years. And I'm glad ya don't want ROR... you're right... Montreal needs to rebuild. I don't think it's a fit for them. But it appears MB disagrees with us and wants to pursue it. If he does... he'll have to give assets that fit the Sabres needs.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Oreilly:ppg=0.65,-53
Paccioretty:0.72+36

You can ignore his effect on games, how he is actually valued around the league, the fact that he plays the least valuable position in hockey, is old, is going to be a UFA coming up on his last NHL deal when guys take every dime they can get, doesn't fit in anyway into the Sabers plans....and the ultimate fact that Paches has the value of a second round pick and a "B" prospect all you want, it isn't going to change ANYTHING

You aren't getting anything good for patches a 2nd and a "B" prospect, the longer you wait the less it will be

Those are the facts, live in fantasy land if you want

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018

They have no need for a veteran winger who probably wants to play for a contender, and there's always free agency if they need a LW stopgap. This is not the need that O'Reilly should be used for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad