Proposal: Pacioretty for O'Reilly (other adds)

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Nah he's not.

He's a high end 2C but he doesn't have close to the offensive production nor does he actually drive the play himself from the middle well enough to be a legit 1C.

A large amount of his production(Almost half) comes from the PP. Last year for example(If I remember correctly) he had just ~30 even strength points while having almost 30 on the PP. His even strength points ranked 57th in the league just among Centers.

He's a high end 2C but he's not a 1C if your team wants to contend for a cup. And looking at the contract of other high end 2Cs right now, it's clear he's about 1M overpaid. This likely changes in the next couple years as the cap goes up and other high end 2Cs start earning ~7M contracts however, but for now it's true.

Dont get me wrong, as an Avs fan I know the guy is a work horse and extremely valuable and important player to have. But he's not worth the 3rd overall pick especially in this years draft. When you have the chance to draft a Hughes/Zadina/Kotkaniemi/Dobson level player at the picks from 3-6. All 4 guys have tremendous upside greater then what ROR is as a player and all 4 have fairly realistic chances of hitting that kind of upside. For a team like Montreal that's about to go into a rebuild it would be foolish to trade a potential franchise player for a very good but not franchise level player like O'Reilly. Just wouldn't make any sense at all. Then again it is Bergevin so if there's one GM in the league who would make such a move, he's the guy to do it.
So Chicago has no 1Cs then. Good to know..
Point being if he can go to a team and be the 1C there, he's a 1C. AZ, CHI, STL. I could probably go on

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It’s funny because they’d probably thrive playing together

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So Chicago has no 1Cs then. Good to know..
Point being if he can go to a team and be the 1C there, he's a 1C. AZ, CHI, STL. I could probably go on

...That's not how it works at all. There's not 31 #1C's in the league. There's not enough #1Cs for every team to have one.

Also funny you would use Chicago as an example. If Jonathan Toews isn't a 1C(And he's not IMO either) I dont see how anyone can even consider ROR to be a 1C.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I think Paciorertty with a reasonable extension for O’reilly is a pretty close base. 1 year of Pacioretty doesn’t come close though.

I think after July 1st the Sabres could be interested in one of Pacioretty or Petry in a deal for O’Reilly depending on what happens with their free agent targets.

Pacioretty (Extended) or Petry
Lehkonen

For

O’Reilly

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
At this point it's been beaten to death. No reasonable person believes Pacioretty can be the main piece back for ROR. He's either a one year rental in a non-contending year anyway. Or he is extended and in decline on a bad contract when Buffalo wants to contend. A fine player now... but should be sent to a team looking for a wing to contend NOW. If montreal wants ROR it would need to be young pieces... at least 2 of Mete, Poehling, Scherbak, and Juulsen plus a pick. Otherwise Buffalo is better off keeping him or sending him elsewhere for players that do fit the timeline. So can we stop the Pacioretty garbage already?

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
At this point it's been beaten to death. No reasonable person believes Pacioretty can be the main piece back for ROR. He's either a one year rental in a non-contending year anyway. Or he is extended and in decline on a bad contract when Buffalo wants to contend. A fine player now... but should be sent to a team looking for a wing to contend NOW. If montreal wants ROR it would need to be young pieces... at least 2 of Mete, Poehling, Scherbak, and Juulsen plus a pick. Otherwise Buffalo is better off keeping him or sending him elsewhere for players that do fit the timeline. So can we stop the Pacioretty garbage already?

It’s time for Buffalo to start winning now. The longer a team loses the more comfortable they get. See Hall/Eberle Oilers. Buffalo has elite pieces down the middle in Eichel and Mittelstadt and a solid base on defence with Scandella/Risto/Dahlin.

They should absolutely be aiming to be a playoff team next year with eyes on being contenders by the end of Dahlin’s ELC.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
It’s time for Buffalo to start winning now. The longer a team loses the more comfortable they get. See Hall/Eberle Oilers. Buffalo has elite pieces down the middle in Eichel and Mittelstadt and a solid base on defence with Scandella/Risto/Dahlin.

They should absolutely be aiming to be a playoff team next year with eyes on being contenders by the end of Dahlin’s ELC.
But ya do it smart... giving a way your best tradable asset for a winger who would be gone or on a bad contract after this year is bad asset management and is how a team like Edmonton has gotten stuck in a loop of failure. Build with young quality pieces that grow together like the ones I mentioned or someone like Hanifin from Carolina. Assets that will improve you short AND long term. Absolutely NOT Pacioretty .

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I
But ya do it smart... giving a way your best tradable asset for a winger who would be gone or on a bad contract after this year is bad asset management and is how a team like Edmonton has gotten stuck in a loop of failure. Build with young quality pieces that grow together like the ones I mentioned or someone like Hanifin from Carolina. Assets that will improve you short AND long term. Absolutely NOT Pacioretty .

I don’t think Buffalo would trade for Pacioretty without negotiating the extension themselves beforehand.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Paciorertty with a reasonable extension for O’reilly is a pretty close base. 1 year of Pacioretty doesn’t come close though.

I think after July 1st the Sabres could be interested in one of Pacioretty or Petry in a deal for O’Reilly depending on what happens with their free agent targets.

Pacioretty (Extended) or Petry
Lehkonen

For

O’Reilly

It really isn't.

Those +30 longterm contracts are ....ng garbage,
+ROR is clearly younger, better, plays more important position& is signed longterm without risk.

ROR gives them a better chance at that now and longterm.

It would be fun having an anchor of an contract you can't move when Dahlin's ELC runs out.

Last edited:
Reactions: normaliswear

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012

So much wrong with this post it makes my head hurt.

You're comparing ROR to Hall or Eberle. Scoring wingers vs two way center. While Patches is a scoring wing

ROR is not the problem in Buffalo. Hall and Eberle were not the problem in Edmonton. Most people agree Edmonton lost those trades.

Edmonton didn't make the playoffs this past season in case you didn't see.

Sabres have depth problems. Edmlonton had depth problems. Trading your best player for an older winger will not solve that problem.

Throwing Mittelstadt to the wolves at 2C because ROR isn't around to shelter him is a total Edmonton thing to do.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
So much wrong with this post it makes my head hurt.

You're comparing ROR to Hall or Eberle. Scoring wingers vs two way center. While Patches is a scoring wing

ROR is not the problem in Buffalo. Hall and Eberle were not the problem in Edmonton. Most people agree Edmonton lost those trades.

Edmonton didn't make the playoffs this past season in case you didn't see.

Sabres have depth problems. Edmlonton had depth problems. Trading your best player for an older winger will not solve that problem.

Throwing Mittelstadt to the wolves at 2C because ROR isn't around to shelter him is a total Edmonton thing to do.

I’m not comparing ROR to those players. I’m comparing the parallels between a talented young Edmonton team and the talented young Buffalo team we see now. Edmonton needed some success but once losing became easy they had to blow it up.

Buffalo should have been better. I think that’s obvious. But they won the lottery and now they have a young 1C and a young soon to be #1 D. Just because they aren’t contenders yet doesn’t mean they can afford to keep losing.

Buffalo should first try to add wingers and a middle pair right shot defender via free agency. But if that fails I think they should explore some trades and I think ROR makes the most sense. Whether it pacitoetty or skinner or someone else I don’t know.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I’m not comparing ROR to those players. I’m comparing the parallels between a talented young Edmonton team and the talented young Buffalo team we see now. Edmonton needed some success but once losing became easy they had to blow it up.

Buffalo should have been better. I think that’s obvious. But they won the lottery and now they have a young 1C and a young soon to be #1 D. Just because they aren’t contenders yet doesn’t mean they can afford to keep losing.

Buffalo should first try to add wingers and a middle pair right shot defender via free agency. But if that fails I think they should explore some trades and I think ROR makes the most sense. Whether it pacitoetty or skinner or someone else I don’t know.
Trading ROR for the right package is fine. Pacioretty is not the main piece in any trade that makes sense

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Buffalo needs an experienced leader to guide the young players. ROR can either stay or be traded, there is no urgency. Just to clarify, I don't believe his is a true 1C in comparison to other Forwards, but he is close. I'm not trying to be negative against his abilities, since it really depends on the team. Habs or Canes would be their 1C, while EDM 3C. So it really doesn't matter, it is the manner the team uses that player as their C.

So what is his true worth?

Montreal needs ROR much more than Buffalo and the inclusion of Patches is a non-starter. Too old and 1 year remaining on his deal, doubtful on extending on a rebuilding team. So revamping and lowering my earlier proposal without Patches (likely worth a 1st) & not asking for their 1st round pick:

ROR

For

Poehling
Mete
Juulsen
2018 2nd-35th (MTL)
2018 2nd-38th (CHI)

I know Habs fans will complain about the prospects, but none of them have succeeded in the NHL. Poehling (similar to ROR) remains in college. Mete was not an offensive force at the WJC, but Makar with much less minutes (30%) far exceeded his play. Juulsen after 3 years has been a bust. Finally given a chance due to injuries or marketed for trade played 23 NHL games amassing 3 points and added only 6 points in the AHL. The others are 2-2nd round picks and a crap shoot.

Montreal needs ROR much more than Buffalo, so if they want him they will need to offer a sizeable package.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Buffalo needs an experienced leader to guide the young players. ROR can either stay or be traded, there is no urgency. Just to clarify, I don't believe his is a true 1C in comparison to other Forwards, but he is close. I'm not trying to be negative against his abilities, since it really depends on the team. Habs or Canes would be their 1C, while EDM 3C. So it really doesn't matter, it is the manner the team uses that player as their C.

So what is his true worth?

Montreal needs ROR much more than Buffalo and the inclusion of Patches is a non-starter. Too old and 1 year remaining on his deal, doubtful on extending on a rebuilding team. So revamping and lowering my earlier proposal without Patches (likely worth a 1st) & not asking for their 1st round pick:

ROR

For

Poehling
Mete
Juulsen
2018 2nd-35th (MTL)
2018 2nd-38th (CHI)

I know Habs fans will complain about the prospects, but none of them have succeeded in the NHL. Poehling (similar to ROR) remains in college. Mete was not an offensive force at the WJC, but Makar with much less minutes (30%) far exceeded his play. Juulsen after 3 years has been a bust. Finally given a chance due to injuries or marketed for trade played 23 NHL games amassing 3 points and added only 6 points in the AHL. The others are 2-2nd round picks and a crap shoot.

Montreal needs ROR much more than Buffalo, so if they want him they will need to offer a sizeable package.
That'd a much more realistic proposal. I might swap out juulsen for Scherbak but the value is fair each side.

Reactions: Patagonia

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Terrible for the Sabres!

Considering the little return for Galchenyuk, there is no chance Buffalo would accept this package. Pacioretty will have more value to a competitive vs rebuilding team. The HABs need to include their 1st - 3rd (unlikely) or package prospects with their 2nds:

ROR

For

Pacioretty
Poehling
Mete
2018 2nd-35th (MTL)
2018 2nd-38th (CHI)
Go away dreamer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad