Pacioretty and Perron [2009 thread]

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Not a whole lot of complains about that pick since most people understand that we needed a type of player like Pacioretty, especially if he's more in the Cole area, than on the 3rd line grinder area, something we have too many.

The only "problem" in hindsight was that the Habs are looking for snipers while AT THIS TIME, Pacioretty seems to fit more the type of a great 3rd liner than the top 6 type of player scorer that Perron might become.

Mind you, I have all the confidence in the world that Pacioretty will indeed become a top 6. Something which there seems to be less and less hope from posters in here that it will happen. But something seems sure though, is that Perron will definatley be top 6 material. At this time, it's still too soon to tell for MaxPac.

But the whole "Let's wait before complaining" is all really fine. Still if so, it takes more than 2 more years for any other picks or players we drafted or acquire. A d-man takes way more time to develop. So are goaltenders. And then there are late bloomers in forwards. It's been 4 years that I've seen bust threads for Gilbert Brûle....where are they now? The guy didn't play for my team and I was on his bandwagon for as long as he was in Columbus. Still, people had some right to call him a bust after his subpar seasons. But then, he is playing obviously much better. So in the end, we use this board to express our opinions, as "way too soon" as they can be or to every post, we respond "let's wait and see". It might be exactly what needs to be done, but it might not make the most interesting board.

HA LOL!:laugh:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

He's right, Pacioretty wasn't much of a goal scorer until he came with the Habs. From 2008 to 2010, he scored 14 times in 141 games with Hamilton and Montréal. It's funny now because he has a 39 and 33 goals season, but at the time it wasn't realistic to think he'd do it.

Also, right after that bolded part, WS says he's still confident Max Pac would becore a top 6 player.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
He's right, Pacioretty wasn't much of a goal scorer until he came with the Habs. From 2008 to 2010, he scored 14 times in 141 games with Hamilton and Montréal. It's funny now because he has a 39 and 33 goals season, but at the time it wasn't realistic to think he'd do it.

Also, right after that bolded part, WS says he's still confident Max Pac would becore a top 6 player.

I know, I just find it really funny in hindsight.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
this is the kind of thread that you have to be carefull.. just the way we are talking about Galchenyuk being the best pick in the 2012 draft... It's still early to label him has the best one!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Sorta..after stating that Perron was definitely a top 6 guy going forward. :)

This thread is a reminder of why you don't count your chicks pre-hatch..two years after a player is drafted it's still very much up in the air on how prospects will eventually turn out.

Not a surprise that a familiar poster (rhymes with pathetic) was leading the charge in the hastiness department just as he did with McCarron (old habits die hard)...always a puzzle when so-called stats guys disregard important factors like that Perron was 19 when he was drafted, and that Patch had barely scratched the surface with his NHL career in 2009.

You can't simply look at the stats and project..you study the player and project. Pacioretty was considerably bigger stronger and faster than Perron when he was 20...he was also much better defensively. All the cards stacked in Perron's favour in 2008 as the Blues lacked depth and needed a cheap top six guy....to Perron's credit he seized the opportunity and put up some numbers before Hitchcock saw the real player...fringe top six guy who isn't ideal in a bottom six role on a good team.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

This thread is a reminder of why you don't count your chicks pre-hatch..two years after a player is drafted it's still very much up in the air on how prospects will eventually turn out.

Not a surprise that a familiar poster (rhymes with pathetic) was leading the charge in the hastiness department just as he did with McCarron (old habits die hard)...always a puzzle when so-called stats guys disregard important factors like that Perron was 19 when he was drafted, and that Patch had barely scratched the surface with his NHL career in 2009.

You can't simply look at the stats and project..you study the player and project. Pacioretty was considerably bigger stronger and faster than Perron when he was 20...he was also much better defensively. All the cards stacked in Perron's favour in 2008 as the Blues lacked depth and needed a cheap top six guy....to Perron's credit he seized the opportunity and put up some numbers before Hitchcock saw the real player...fringe top six guy who isn't ideal in a bottom six role on a good team.

:laugh:

Funny you didn't mention my post when the Gallagher draft day thread popped up when I said it was a great pick despite people not wanting another smurf on the team. Besides, I don't know in what universe Perron isn't a top-6 forward. Although I'm not arguing in any way that Perron is better than Pacioretty, last season Perron had 57 points and Max 60. Sure Max is clearly better but it's not like Perron is a complete bust either. Was off to a great start to the season until he started having concussion issues few years ago.

Btw, don't feel like commenting on the Giroux vs. Fischer pick? That I had Hudon, Toffoli, Benn and Severson as a first round talents?

... besides Perron and Max were born in the same year, and don't feel the need to lecture me on age. Anwyays, we'll see if McCarron turns out like a regular 25 goal guy like you have him. Also, in case you weren't present back at the time, I changed my mind pretty quick on Max (before his breakout season). Just wasn't mentioned in that particular thread.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

So....people laugh at my post based on hindsight and yet, nitpick what it pleases them to make a point? How about the part where I say that
Mind you, I have all the confidence in the world that Pacioretty will indeed become a top 6. Something which there seems to be less and less hope from posters in here that it will happen. At this time, it's still too soon to tell for MaxPac.
Besides, didn't I added "Still too soon to tell" to show how I understood it was JUST 2 years after his draft?

As far as Perron is concerned....didn't Perron had 4 seasons of 45+ points, with 3 seasons of more than 20 goals. Wasn't Perron top 6 in points in forwards in most if not all his St-Louis seasons and 1 in Edmonton? Did I say 1st line all-star material? Or top 6? Can you be a top 6 if let's say you are forward #6? And your point about St.Louis lacking depth....well it could be applied to a lot of teams. Thank god, I didn't say "Perron will become a top 6 on a strong contender....". Implying that a player would become a top 6 player is just that.....no relations to how good, desperate or bad a team is. As of now, he played on 2 teams, and was a top 6. Who do you want in Montreal in a top 6 role? Desharnais or Perron? But I guess we're lacking depth too?

By the way.....each and everyone, the ones with opinions, also have some funny stuff to their credit. But hey, I guess that one-liner is funny. So be it. I'm sure everybody knew he'd be a 40-goal scorer. Everybody knew it since he had way more passes in his 2 years in the USHS, twice the passes in his 1 year in the USHL, more passes in his NCAA year, more passes in his first 2 years as a Habs and 2 years as a Dogs.......So let's not have any opinions people....might as well wait....Like right now, we might start having an opinion on David Fischer. Though, be careful, D-man takes a longer time to develop....

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I don't think it's farfetched to say Perron could be a top6 player on most teams. Pretty sure the Penguins would take him before Blake Comeau or Nick Spaling.

As for the goalscoring, I personally think Perron is a better finisher than Pacioretty. Better hands, more creativity and he has many tricks up his sleeve.

With that being said, today Pacio vs Perron is not even close. Pacioretty is more complete and is one of the better goalscorer in the league.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I think David Perron will be a Hab soon. RW shoots right.

Gallagher
Perron
Parenteau
Weise

on the right side.

Apr 28, 2010
Really don't want Perron. It's like having another Parenteau-type player. Not what we need, imo.

Sekac is fine as a right winger. He's not even struggling so why do we need one? Because of the fact that he's a lefty?

I really hope people can move on. Besides, just think about the prospect we would lose for him, Tinordi? Beaulieu? Just not worth it.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Personally I believe if we're still a top team by deadline (or close to) MB is going to go after some real players. Who knows if he'll succeed, but I doubt David Perron is one of them. I think he'll break the bank and get us a #3 d-man and/or a top line winger. We've been finding ways to win and adding some much needed scoring and defense could really help push us to that next tier.

When I think of David Perron, I most certainly don't think of him as a piece that would push us up to that next level.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
So glad I didn't post one of my legendary predictions in this thread...

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I don't think it's farfetched to say Perron could be a top6 player on most teams. Pretty sure the Penguins would take him before Blake Comeau or Nick Spaling.

As for the goalscoring, I personally think Perron is a better finisher than Pacioretty. Better hands, more creativity and he has many tricks up his sleeve.

With that being said, today Pacio vs Perron is not even close. Pacioretty is more complete and is one of the better goalscorer in the league.

First you say Perron is a better finisher, then you say pacioretty is one of the better goal scorer in the league.

For the record, Perron is a lazy middling top 6 player. while pacioretty is one of the better wingers in the league.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Pacioretty has turned himself into a pure goal scorer who is becoming a reliable fixture on the PK. Compare that with how he came as advertised (including McGuire comparing him to mike McPhee style) and you realize that that the advertisements are not always accurate. Pacioretty has blossomed but perhaps not in the mould that we were expecting. The underlying lesson is to not always take the original advertisements at face value.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pacioretty has turned himself into a pure goal scorer who is becoming a reliable fixture on the PK. Compare that with how he came as advertised (including McGuire comparing him to mike McPhee style) and you realize that that the advertisements are not always accurate. Pacioretty has blossomed but perhaps not in the mould that we were expecting. The underlying lesson is to not always take the original advertisements at face value.

At 19, when I first saw Patches, I projected him as a potential Frank Mahovlich, in other words someone who could be an all-star winger every third or fourth year, and a high performing player most other years, with strength and speed.

I may not be far off. Patches was what, 4th in the league in goals last year among wingers?

thewall

Jul 9, 2010

BINGO!!!!! great prediction bro!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
BINGO!!!!! great prediction bro!

;)

Just traded a first round pick for him.

:laugh: Honestly, that wasn't a prediction, I just picked a good team to show that Perron could fit in a top6 on most teams.

First you say Perron is a better finisher, then you say pacioretty is one of the better goal scorer in the league.

For the record, Perron is a lazy middling top 6 player. while pacioretty is one of the better wingers in the league.

I know it sounds illogical and goal numbers don't defend this, but I'd rather have Perron all alone against a goaltender than Pacioretty, if that makes more sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad