Pacioretty and Perron [2009 thread]

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Since the 2007 draft all we've heard is why the Habs didn't pick David Perron. Moreover, recently people have begun to question why we picked Pacioretty over him.

Now, I know stats don't tell the entire story but...

Pacioretty 3g and 11a 14points
Perron 10g and 10a 20 points

That's only a 6 point difference and you have to remember the really hot start that Perron had.

The point of this thread is...

...Wait more than 2 years before you start complaining because no one can predict how young players will develop.

I will still defend the Pacioretty pick over Perron as Pacioretty has added much needed size. He's a great forechecker and has yet to fill out his size.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Since the 2007 draft all we've heard is why the Habs didn't pick David Perron. Moreover, recently people have begun to question why we picked Pacioretty over him.

That's only a 6 point difference and you have to remember the really hot start that Perron had.

...Wait more than 2 years before you start complaining because no one can predict how young players will develop.

I will still defend the Pacioretty pick over Perron as Pacioretty has added much needed size. He's a great forechecker and has yet to fill out his size.

Perron actualy didn't have a point until his 8th or 9th game of the season, currently receives no power play time, plays on the 4th line and has something similar to 3pts in his last 3 games while doing so..

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not a whole lot of complains about that pick since most people understand that we needed a type of player like Pacioretty, especially if he's more in the Cole area, than on the 3rd line grinder area, something we have too many.

The only "problem" in hindsight was that the Habs are looking for snipers while AT THIS TIME, Pacioretty seems to fit more the type of a great 3rd liner than the top 6 type of player scorer that Perron might become.

Mind you, I have all the confidence in the world that Pacioretty will indeed become a top 6. Something which there seems to be less and less hope from posters in here that it will happen. But something seems sure though, is that Perron will definatley be top 6 material. At this time, it's still too soon to tell for MaxPac.

But the whole "Let's wait before complaining" is all really fine. Still if so, it takes more than 2 more years for any other picks or players we drafted or acquire. A d-man takes way more time to develop. So are goaltenders. And then there are late bloomers in forwards. It's been 4 years that I've seen bust threads for Gilbert Brûle....where are they now? The guy didn't play for my team and I was on his bandwagon for as long as he was in Columbus. Still, people had some right to call him a bust after his subpar seasons. But then, he is playing obviously much better. So in the end, we use this board to express our opinions, as "way too soon" as they can be or to every post, we respond "let's wait and see". It might be exactly what needs to be done, but it might not make the most interesting board.

tdecheno

Aug 18, 2006
Awesome. Now start a Kostitsyn vs. Carter thread. Or a Chouinard vs Gagne thread. Latendresse vs Lucic maybe?? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Perron actualy didn't have a point until his 8th or 9th game of the season, currently receives no power play time, plays on the 4th line and has something similar to 3pts in his last 3 games while doing so..

Perron plays with Berglund and Crombeen. That's not the 4th line. They've received limited ice time recently because they've been poor defensively and soft in transition.

Perron's also received an average of 2:24 PP ice time / game over the course of the season, and 15:54 per game. This is compared to Pacioretty's 12:43 ice time / game, and average of 0:29 PP ice time per game.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

I'm not sure where you're going with this. Perron is the leading scorer and second pointer on a team that's struggling. Last year he was an important player on a team that made the playoffs and was part of the great comeback they did. This year he's having a tough time and he's still way ahead of Pacioretty. Max barely hits, doesn't score and doesn't play more defense than the next guy. I'm not sure why you can come up with the Pacioretty is as good as Perron thing and wait for the other guy to struggle to hype your guy. Perron with his 10 goals would be 3rd with the Canadiens. I'd take that in a heartbeat over a supposed power forward who doesn't play a power game at all.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Perron plays with Berglund and Crombeen. That's not the 4th line. They've received limited ice time recently because they've been poor defensively and soft in transition.

Perron's also received an average of 2:24 PP ice time / game over the course of the season, and 15:54 per game. This is compared to Pacioretty's 12:43 ice time / game, and average of 0:29 PP ice time per game.

Perron doesn't play with Berglund and Perron is far from a poor defensive player. I'm not sure what game your watching.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Perron doesn't play with Berglund and Perron is far from a poor defensive player. I'm not sure what game your watching.

Well, yes they do, and Perron's been awful defensively the last stretch of games which is why his ice time has been cut.

For the games I've been watching, a good chunk of recent Blues games.

But thanks for the scintillating arguments. ;)

The fact that you think Perron and Berglund don't play together is indicative of the fact that you're not watching the games.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Well, yes they do, and Perron's been awful defensively the last stretch of games which is why his ice time has been cut.

For the games I've been watching, a good chunk of recent Blues games.

But thanks for the scintillating arguments. ;)

The fact that you think Perron and Berglund don't play together is indicative of the fact that you're not watching the games.

if for you playing 30 minutes of ice-time together makes them play together then fine

... and even if you remove Perron's production on the powerplay, he still outscores Max

Last edited:

Habsfanatical

Jun 25, 2009
1) Bertuzzi and Vinny didn't start producing until their 6th or 7th years, so no rush on Pacioretty.
2) If we want to start who over who threads, you can add Fischer over Giroux to it..

Regardless, true power forwards always take a couple more years to develop fully.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
1) Bertuzzi and Vinny didn't start producing until their 6th or 7th years, so no rush on Pacioretty.
2) If we want to start who over who threads, you can add Fischer over Giroux to it..

Regardless, true power forwards always take a couple more years to develop fully.

just wondering why people gave up on Latendresse and couldn't stop trash talking the guy at 22 for not improving while Max is 21 and in his case we have to wait even though he doesn't score, doesn't hit and doesn't play particularly good defense

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
... and even if you remove Perron's production on the powerplay, he still outscores Max

My comment was in response to the other Perron apologist who claimed he wasn't getting PP time. Just like your assertion that Perron & Berglund don't play together (who knows why you're arguing this to begin with), it was patently false.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
just wanted to point out, in the game tonight, 2 goals for Latendresse and 1 for Perron

6 goals in 13 games for Guillaume in Minny, all even strength ... anyway back to Perron

Tell me: what game have you watched recently where Perron and Berglund didn't play together?

well that's what I meant, if you said they play together as in they played together in the last 3 games then fine. If you mean they play together as in they play together regularly then no they don't play together.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Perron is struggling with defensive zone play and poor turnovers as well.

These 2 players are pretty different in terms of what they bring, but I really like pacioretty's progression thus far. He's already shown that he's got smarts and excellent closing speed... we'll see about the hands around the net.

Rgolt

Sep 27, 2008
montreal, qc
a lot of people are expecting a power forward type player out of patches but i dont really know
just because hes a big guy doesnt necessarily mean hes a power forward, i mean when u watch him play he has incredible speed and has the ability to dangle around players, now obviously his shot and scoring abilities are a bit rusty but if he can work on that i could see him being a wojtek wolski type player
big guy like patches but also has the speed to make him a dangerous type player (now i may be very off with the comparison because ive only seen wolski play a few times but thats what ive seen from him)
basically what im saying is patches might become an entirely different player than what u expect, but from what ive seen so far from patches u wont be dissapointed

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
well that's what I meant, if you said they play together as in they played together in the last 3 games then fine. If you mean they play together as in they play together regularly then no they don't play together.

That's not 'what you meant'. The context from the beginning from the poster I was responding to was the games played recently.

You were obnoxious to interject as you did, and now you're proven wrong and try to pass it off as miscommunication.

scottyG

Jul 3, 2009
Montreal,Qc
just wanted to point out, in the game tonight, 2 goals for Latendresse and 1 for Perron

6 goals in 13 games for Guillaume in Minny, all even strength ... anyway back to Perron

Lol and 5 where empty netters or tap-ins. Anyways i really like what im seeing in pouliot he's finishes his checks and is 10x the skater lats is potential is there that's for sure.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Lol and 5 where empty netters or tap-ins. Anyways i really like what im seeing in pouliot he's finishes his checks and is 10x the skater lats is potential is there that's for sure.

yeah, he's a really lucky guy, he really does nothing to get those goals but anyway. I don't expect "haters" to give him his due.

SooperSingh

Sep 19, 2008
Calgary
I've watched few of minnesota's games. The difference is Latendresse has been working hard there and the bounces have been going his way.

I'm happy he's doing well there, as it didn't seem like he was going to take off in Montreal and the change of scenery has been good for him, so far anyways. We got a good player in return so it's a win-win situation for both teams.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I've watched few of minnesota's games. The difference is Latendresse has been working hard there and the bounces have been going his way.

I'm happy he's doing well there, as it didn't seem like he was going to take off in Montreal and the change of scenery has been good for him, so far anyways. We got a good player in return so it's a win-win situation for both teams.

Outside getting more ice-time there's not a whole lot that has changed. He didn't play in Montreal, now he's playing 15 minutes a game and he scores again. When Andrei didn't get any ice-time what did he say, can't score when you don't play. When they get the ice-time they start scoring again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad