Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'm glad to read that the guy hit intense training after being drafted. Having Kessel as a role model is not bad but not great either. He may be physically powerful but he has a tendency to slack during the off season and gain weight. Just watching him on the bench during the Cup finals was painful as the guy was gassed after every shift and Malkin was not happy with his back checking. I do tip my hat to the guy as he beat testicular cancer which manifests itself in many young male adults.

Tippett has had a rough go for such a young guy growing up. Hopefully this has made him stronger as he wanted to quit hockey at 12 due to being bullied. I know the feeling of being bullied as it's something I went thru at that age and it can make you or break you. Fortunately most kids at that age are resilient and bounce back.

He wasn't my pick but that doesn't mean I won't be rooting for the kid to make it. :)

FLPANTHERS

Jun 12, 2017
Miami
I'm glad to read that the guy hit intense training after being drafted. Having Kessel as a role model is not bad but not great either. He may be physically powerful but he has a tendency to slack during the off season and gain weight. Just watching him on the bench during the Cup finals was painful as the guy was gassed after every shift and Malkin was not happy with his back checking. I do tip my hat to the guy as he beat testicular cancer which manifests itself in many young male adults.

Tippett has had a rough go for such a young guy growing up. Hopefully this has made him stronger as he wanted to quit hockey at 12 due to being bullied. I know the feeling of being bullied as it's something I went thru at that age and it can make you or break you. Fortunately most kids at that age are resilient and bounce back.

He wasn't my pick but that doesn't mean I won't be rooting for the kid to make it. :)

He's been training his ass off at the Biosteelsports camp with McDavid, Simmons, Seguin, Demers, McCann and a bunch of other NHLers.

http://instagram.com/biosteelsports

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i love everything i read about him in that article. going through the stuff he has, the bullying, the family issues, the tough life decisions. the fact that he hit the gym immediately after getting drafted, working really hard, at the biosteel camp (one of the instagram pics there he's sitting in the front to hear what the "coach" is saying). he seems mature beyond his years. this is stuff i expected from ekblad and was immensely disappointed how he "coasted" during his first 2 years, was out of shape in year 3 after signing a mega contract no less, and hopefully he gets back on the right track. but that definitely didnt sound like leader material from a guy we thought could be a future captain. tippett sounds lile he wants to work, he does work, wants to learn and listen, strives to make the team and will work hard to do so.

hes kessel-like in his abilities, but as people i don't think theyre identical. he has the size/frame/strength, has the speed, has surprisingly slick hands, an incredible shot, isnt a bad passer. i think he has to be more engaged on both ends, he seems to wait/float a bit from the outside waiting for the puck to come to him or having his line mates do the digging while he waits for them to find him. he has the size and strength and speed to get in there. the way that marchy was, if tippett does that he'd be lethal. he has nhl ability as of now, needs to work on some things such as defensive play/positioning and the stuff i mentioned. I'm sure he'll get a 9-game look.

I'm completely ok with him going back another year, I'm actually leaning more towards that. but he has the body, speed, shot to make it, so if he impresses i wouldnt be surprised. like they mentioned in the article, keseel made it immediately, didnt break 20g the first 2 years but year 3 hit 36 and 30+ goals for the following 7yrs so coming in at 18 didnt seem to hurt him too much, just took the first two years to get used to it.

my only issue is playing on the 3rd with bjugstad. id want him to play with a guy like trocheck, or a playmaker or some sort but thats the opposite of bjugstad and don't see them as a good fit for each other. bjugstad isnt great defensively and tippett is learning more of that so id rather someone who's more competent in that aspect, also nick isnt a passer which doesnt help tippett. he does have the frame to dig in and do the dirty work, so that is a good thing. let nick go into the corners, keep possession, cycle, and maybe if you have a playmaker like haapala on the lw that could work.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^I would be surprised if he got a 9 game tryout. The Cats have a brutal schedule to start off and if he can't start in the top 6 then I think it would be a total waste of time on the 3rd with Nick. The only slot open for him if no injuries is Haapala's 2LW. They would likely have to move Vrbata to that spot and slide Tippett into 2RW. Not saying it couldn't happen but I think it's highly unlikely barring no injuries. He definitely needs more seasoning with his defensive game and has had his bell rung a few times by putting himself in vulnerable positions. These are all areas that he could work on back in juniors without the pressure of the NHL and then give it a legitimate shot in 18-19 when Vrbata's contract is up. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
and thats pretty much how i view vrbata, as a tippett stop gap. I'm more on the side of going back to the ohl, like 75% more than not, and hopefully he and borgstrom both have great seasons and can make the jump next year. theres just no telling what tallon, boughner and co. do tho.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Don't see how he wasn't the consensus pick/depth choice at #10? We needed more speed, goal scoring and a long term fit for Huberdeau and Barkov at the RW position. Tippett checks off all those boxes, feel like we had enough playmakers and two-way prospects already in the pipeline. Tippett should have a good shot at multiple 35+ goals seasons playing with JH and AB. How could we possibly pass that up after missing out on Rantanen?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^I just think Suzuki is a better overall player. No he doesn't have Tippett's elite speed or shot but he has top 6 status in all categories necessary to be a quality second line winger. IMO Tippett will either be a top line winger or a bust. I don't think there is any in between for him. His biggest challenge will be how he handles the pressure of less ice to work with and the physical hits that will come his way to intimidate him in the O-zone. I don't like his overall awareness and anticipation of where the defense is in front of him. He has had his bell rung twice because he thinks defenders will play nice with him. He is in for some concussion down time if he doesn't understand that defenders will try to hurt him if he continues to toe drag and circle with his head down.

That said, Tallon made the decision to draft him and I will support the kid and trust he will blossom as he matures. :)

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
and thats pretty much how i view vrbata, as a tippett stop gap. I'm more on the side of going back to the ohl, like 75% more than not, and hopefully he and borgstrom both have great seasons and can make the jump next year. theres just no telling what tallon, boughner and co. do tho.

Didn´t come Mascherin also next Year to the Panthers. That would make Mascherin, Tippett and Borgstrom all entry on the same Year.
Is hard to say, but starting the Year together could be, the better option for all of them. No matter that i pretty interisting, to see a few of those in the "yearly impress us Rookie Tournament".
We all know shine out in this Tournament, or let an great overall look behind is a big Step to the Panthers Roster.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
^I just think Suzuki is a better overall player. No he doesn't have Tippett's elite speed or shot but he has top 6 status in all categories necessary to be a quality second line winger. IMO Tippett will either be a top line winger or a bust. I don't think there is any in between for him. His biggest challenge will be how he handles the pressure of less ice to work with and the physical hits that will come his way to intimidate him in the O-zone. I don't like his overall awareness and anticipation of where the defense is in front of him. He has had his bell rung twice because he thinks defenders will play nice with him. He is in for some concussion down time if he doesn't understand that defenders will try to hurt him if he continues to toe drag and circle with his head down.

That said, Tallon made the decision to draft him and I will support the kid and trust he will blossom as he matures. :)

Tippett will use that speed to back off defenders so we can enter the offensive zone and then he can pass off to either playmaker in Huberdeau or Barkov, if he wants to be selfish, he can take it to the house himself or get set-up to fire the laser. Consider Trocheck, Matheson and Tippett as our fastest skaters so they should help drive possession through the neutral zone. Barkov, Huberdeau and Happy become the playmakers with Tippett, Trocheck and Dadonov becoming the finishers. Add Borgstrom and Monster Masch to the mix soon and we're shaping up to be a well drafted team on paper. Only took 7 years of Tallon time but the pieces are starting to fall into their place.

I strongly believe the H-B-T trio will have a ton of magic for us all to see in the near future.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i would've been fine with suzuki too, but isnt he primarily a center? i hate switching positions or assuming they can make the switch. only if they've had enough experience in that other position, like vilardi who had tons of time at center and at rw and had success at both. i see trocheck in suzuki, but trocheck wasnt nearly as good at rw as he is at his natural position of center. if we drafted suzuki with the assumption he could play rw and the switch doesnt go well? same with borgstrom, id rather keep him at center. bjugstad is a rare case where I'm fine with experimenting because of his physical characteristics and play style attributes.

Huberdeau-Barkov-???
Dadonov-Trocheck-Tippett
Mascherin-Borgstrom-???/Mamin

long term this looks great, and this could take place as soon as the following season from this one. barkov, tro and borg down the middle? yes please. huberdeau, tippett, mascherin, dads, go add someone like atkinson if he hits free agency and ill be extremely happy with this lineup moving forward.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^He is a natural center but played on Kevin Hancock's RW (96 pts/45 G's) all season but did take some draws when needed. He is not a very good FO guy at this point in his career and that will have to improve on the NHL level if he is slotted as a Center. Much will depend on whether he makes LV this year or goes back for another year of juniors to get bigger and stronger. It's my guess they will not rush him. :)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Drafting on need is always a bit of a gamble. Nevertheless I like the sounds of a big fast winger with a laser cannon. My personal preference was Panthers going with Tolvanen and I do think he will end up the better player than Tippett. A hat-trick and KHL record in the debut at 18 years is something crazy. Not even Tippett has the kind of wrist shot than this kid has. Then again, Tolvanen doesn't have his speed nor size. Still, would've been nice seeing a Finnish duo on the ice for the next decade or so, especially after missing out on Rantanen of who I was extremely high about going into the 2015 draft. Knew he was going to be the real deal, no matter there being quite many who doubted his abilities and goal scoring in particular.

Anyway, I do trust Tallon and hope his got this right. The team is indeed looking good in the longer run. Who would've guessed just some years ago. Seems as if the ship changed it's direction as soon as Tallon decided to go slightly of the course and draft Barkov over Drouin and Jones (and of course Florida lucking out by not winning the first draft pick at 2013). Besides a few pretty bad signings got a lot of respect for the guy as a GM.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Watched Tippett today vs the Storm in preseason.

He got the game tying goal to take it to OT where Mississauga lost in SO

He looked incredible though, best player on the ice, a constant threat. Great backcheck, good defensively but obviously all those offensive tools, incredible shot. Almost a perfect all around game where you never really saw him make a bad decision or be in a bad spot.

wondering what the chances he makes the team out of camp or is he sticking with the steelheads?

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I'm always one that doesn't like to rush kids. Let him go back to Mississauga, work on his game some more, and hopefully dominate.

-ghoste

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I'm always one that doesn't like to rush kids. Let him go back to Mississauga, work on his game some more, and hopefully dominate.

-ghoste

Agreed, especially if there's any lingering concern over that "undisclosed injury" a month ago. Lord knows we have the worst luck with injured young talent so no sense in forcing him to play against NHL-sized competition just quite yet.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i wouldnt put it past tallon and co to green light him. boughner has said they don't mind playing the kids. if he shows well in the preseason, knowing that he already has the nhl size/strength, speed, and shot? i say theres a decent chance he cracks the lineup. i personally would rather him go back one more year.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Needs to have a 100 point season, and a memorial cup run, with an ATO at the end of the year hopefully with the T-Birds still in the playoffs.

Unless he scores 5 goals in his 9 games, I dont see him staying up or them burning the ELC year. Already under contract, they dont need to rush unless ready.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Agreed, especially if there's any lingering concern over that "undisclosed injury" a month ago. Lord knows we have the worst luck with injured young talent so no sense in forcing him to play against NHL-sized competition just quite yet.

There was no injury. He was hit hard but was kept out as a precaution and has played in several preseason games this past week or so.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
ill stop u right there. we didnt hit on tippet. hes not good. but theres no if about borg and hepo. gildon is an if but its looking good.

What didn't we hit on with Tippett?
We needed a top 6 RW long term
We needed more speed on the wing
We needed more size on the wing
and more importantly we needed a selfish shooter mentality.

If it's just his defensive game then ya I agree on that part but he can learn it in the lower leagues. I live 15 minutes from his home rink in Mississauga, I'll be going to some games this year to check in on him. Let me know if you want me to keep an eye on specific aspects of his game to change your mind.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
ill stop u right there. we didnt hit on tippet. hes not good. but theres no if about borg and hepo. gildon is an if but its looking good.

You can't possibly say that right now. For a player straight out of the draft he did pretty well in the NHL.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Hate to pile on but c’mon, that’s not true. The skill and speed is there, he showed that much. Just needs to refine his game and not get played on a checking line.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah way too early to know what Tippett has in the end. Although I'm not nearly as enamored as some here with what I saw from him. Looked a lot like Jake Virtanen.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
What didn't we hit on with Tippett?
We needed a top 6 RW long term
We needed more speed on the wing
We needed more size on the wing
and more importantly we needed a selfish shooter mentality.

If it's just his defensive game then ya I agree on that part but he can learn it in the lower leagues. I live 15 minutes from his home rink in Mississauga, I'll be going to some games this year to check in on him. Let me know if you want me to keep an eye on specific aspects of his game to change your mind.
we didn't hit on a true scorer with tippet. he shoots from literally anywhere and prays. he's not smart and he can't pass well. defensively he was the worst fwd by a mile but I don't care as much about that cause he's young. he had 7 games and a bunch of preseason to show flashes of brilliance. I saw basically nothing to make me think he'll be a 40 goal scorer which is kind of what he's supposed to be. I think he'll get 30 goals in his prime and be a minus player. that's worthless to me. suzuki was the obvious choice or at least vilardi who fell like crazy for us. now I just hope tippet proves me wrong but I don't think he'll get the chance. I see us trading him in a package deal to either rid ourselves of yandle or get a great D man or both. but u just know tallon will instead trade heponiemi to make me kill myself :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad