Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What would be the point for the team?
Barkov& Huberdeau need career years for Florida to get into playoffs.
Huberdeau- Barkov- Dadonov could be a true 1st line.
Both Dadonov& Haapala are better players than Tippett today, +ppg players in pro leagues.

Tippett's just 18y, he's no McDavid/Eichel/Laine/Matthews, he's never played against men& Barkov line will see the best in the league.
Yes Huberdeau- Barkov could carry him skill/chemistry wise but again they'll see the best in the league, or should see the best in the league and that's a tough place for Tippett.
He had some concerns around him pre draft, let him work on those in juniors.

This should not be all in year for Florida and in no way should they be in rush to burn a year of that damm valuable ELC contract.
Tippett was drafted to address Floridas biggest weakness/need forward group wise, develop him to become that player& be cheap as long as possible.

Huberdeau- Barkov- Dadonov
Haapala- Trocheck- Tippett
Borgstrom- Malgin/Bjugstad- Mamin
for 18/19.

To spread the wealth 5 on 5.
Even up the minutes on the PP.
Tippett brings exactly what we need more of, speed, size and an accurate shot on the wing. Why not pair him with our best playmaker in Huberdeau and Barkov, who is our best defensive forward. Owen has the NHL body already while being projected as the best NHL ready shot in the draft class.

I'd even be open to the idea of having Dadonov and Tippett with Barkov and slide Huberdeau down with two shooters in Trocheck and Vrbata. We have options which is fun and Tallon has stated the core players have to be the leaders now. Doesn't look like we are going to be in cap trouble for a while, probably 4-5 years which should be our current window at chasing a Cup.

Don't see it as an all in move, as I stated before, teams like Toronto, Carolina and Philly are going with 1-2 rookies and 6-8 core players with at least 4-6 years of experience. As much as I want to this happen, I agree Tippett will probably be OHL bound to fine-tune his game.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
To spread the wealth 5 on 5.
Even up the minutes on the PP.
Tippett brings exactly what we need more of, speed, size and an accurate shot on the wing. Why not pair him with our best playmaker in Huberdeau and Barkov, who is our best defensive forward. Owen has the NHL body already while being projected as the best NHL ready shot in the draft class.

I'd even be open to the idea of having Dadonov and Tippett with Barkov and slide Huberdeau down with two shooters in Trocheck and Vrbata. We have options which is fun and Tallon has stated the core players have to be the leaders now. Doesn't look like we are going to be in cap trouble for a while, probably 4-5 years which should be our current window at chasing a Cup.

Don't see it as an all in move, as I stated before, teams like Toronto, Carolina and Philly are going with 1-2 rookies and 6-8 core players with at least 4-6 years of experience. As much as I want to this happen, I agree Tippett will probably be OHL bound to fine-tune his game.

Florida doesn't have the talent/right players for that.

Barkov should play against the elite, that's not an easy spot to start your NHL career, especially at 18.
Barkov should be what Bergeron is to Bruins, and bringing in rookies with him is very very tough. Barkov needs to be the driver of the team.

Dadonov- Barkov- Tippett 1st line is just too much to ask from Barkov, again he's the teams best player and have to put up a career year for Florida to have a chance. With that line you'll end up with the Barkov is the most overrated player thread on HF at the end of year when he's scored 50 points. You don't see Boston play Bergeron like that.

Tippett is a great prospect, but he's nowhere near Nylander/Matthews/Aho/Marner and he's just 18y, but he could be close in a year where they were at the time of their rookie seasons.

Aho spent the +1 season in Liiga dominating and did something that hadn't been done in 30 years, he had experience at the mens Worlds& World Cup.
Nylander had SHL games under his belt, around 100 AHL games& 23 NHL games before his real rookie season.
Marner spent his +1 season dominating the OHL, he wasn't ready for NHL after his draft but looked amazing after 1 more year, Toronto didn't rush him or Nylander& I bet they are pretty happy today.
Matthews spent his draft year dominating a mens league& had experience from Worlds& World Cup.

Konecny spent the +1 season in juniors, Provorov another elite prospect spent the +1 season in juniors dominating.
Rantanen spent the +1 season dominating AHL before he was truly NHL ready.

None of them started on the 1st line.

Next year shouldn't be considered as part of the Cup window years, that just ends up hurting the team when it's time to go. Next year should be just figuring out what you have in Haapala/Mamin/Dadonov/Repo/Matheson/Ekblad and letting prospects playing elsewhere develop for 1 more year while still trying to make the playoffs, but without hurting the future. From 18/19 starts your Cup window years when prospects like Borgstrom& Tippett should be ready to produce and ELC's will be important to Florida, especially if they can't spent to the max.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So you'd go Vrbata with Huberdeau and Barkov? Dadonov with Trocheck and possibly Haapala?

Can't Dadonov play both wings? He can be 2LW.
If Tippett does earn the 9 gamer, I'd try:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Tippett
Dadonov - Trocheck - Vrbata
Malgin/Haapy - Bjugstad - Mamin
Mack - Repo - Sceviour

You think he spends 2 years in OHL? I'd put some money he's on the roster by next year full time. Look at the teams on the rise. Carolina, Philadelphia, Columbus and Toronto (Arizona is a team to watch this year as well). They're all built with some solid players who have at least 4-6 years of experience and then loaded with rookies. We aren't in this category or close?

Teams like Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, Montreal, Minnesota, San Jose and Washington are on the wrong side now but still have 2-3 years left until they need some major re-tooling. :)
Dadonov is playing with Barkov unless he completely blows it at training camp. I firmly believe that was part of the signing deal with Tallon. It makes the communication much easier for Dadonov who probably speaks pretty good English but still would feel more comfortable communicating with his C in Russian.

Yes, Dadonov can play both wings but he is likely more effective on the RW. If the 2nd line is struggling with Haapala, then you could see Huby slide back to 2LW and Vrbata move up to the 1RW. I still wouldn't feel comfortable having Tippett slide into 2RW with his inexperience. Plus he has never seen anything like the limited white ice he will face in the NHL and the defensive responsibilities that are necessary to be successful at the tender age of 18. I think he would be overwhelmed.

It's too soon to say what Tippett's situation will look like for the 18-19 season. Much depends on the success/failure of the new guys throughout the year. If Tallon feels they needs to give him a shot next year because of significant improvement in his game and the failure of the other guys, then they will find a slot for him.

I originally thought Repo would play on the 3rd line but I think he is probably slated to be in the AHL most of the year with call-up for injuries or he could alternate with Haley when appropriate. Malgin likely has the 3LW sewed up to help communication with Mamin who speaks little English. :)

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Barkov should play against the elite, that's not an easy spot to start your NHL career, especially at 18.
Barkov should be what Bergeron is to Bruins, and bringing in rookies with him is very very tough. Barkov needs to be the driver of the team.

Dadonov- Barkov- Tippett 1st line is just too much to ask from Barkov, again he's the teams best player and have to put up a career year for Florida to have a chance. With that line you'll end up with the Barkov is the most overrated player thread on HF at the end of year when he's scored 50 points. You don't see Boston play Bergeron like that.

Tippett is a great prospect, but he's nowhere near Nylander/Matthews/Aho/Marner and he's just 18y, but he could be close in a year where they were at the time of their rookie seasons.

Aho spent the +1 season in Liiga dominating and did something that hadn't been done in 30 years, he had experience at the mens Worlds& World Cup.
Nylander had SHL games under his belt, around 100 AHL games& 23 NHL games before his real rookie season.
Marner spent his +1 season dominating the OHL, he wasn't ready for NHL after his draft but looked amazing after 1 more year, Toronto didn't rush him or Nylander& I bet they are pretty happy today.
Matthews spent his draft year dominating a mens league& had experience from Worlds& World Cup.

Konecny spent the +1 season in juniors, Provorov another elite prospect spent the +1 season in juniors dominating.

Next year shouldn't be considered as part of the Cup window years, that just ends up hurting the team when it's time to go. Next year should be just figuring out what you have in Haapala/Mamin/Dadonov/Repo/Matheson/Ekblad and letting prospects playing elsewhere develop for 1 more year while still trying to make the playoffs, but without hurting the future. From 18/19 starts your Cup window years when prospects like Borgstrom& Tippett should be ready to produce and ELC's will be important to Florida, especially if they can't spent to the max.

You're a Bruins fan right?

You're one of the posters who brings the most common sense into Panthers discussion!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Dadonov is playing with Barkov unless he completely blows it at training camp. I firmly believe that was part of the signing deal with Tallon. It makes the communication much easier for Dadonov who probably speaks pretty good English but still would feel more comfortable communicating with his C in Russian.

Yes, Dadonov can play both wings but he is likely more effective on the RW. If the 2nd line is struggling with Haapala, then you could see Huby slide back to 2LW and Vrbata move up to the 1RW. I still wouldn't feel comfortable having Tippett slide into 2RW with his inexperience. Plus he has never seen anything like the limited white ice he will face in the NHL and the defensive responsibilities that are necessary to be successful at the tender age of 18. I think he would be overwhelmed.

It's too soon to say what Tippett's situation will look like for the 18-19 season. Much depends on the success/failure of the new guys throughout the year. If Tallon feels they needs to give him a shot next year because of significant improvement in his game and the failure of the other guys, then they will find a slot for him.

I originally thought Repo would play on the 3rd line but I think he is probably slated to be in the AHL most of the year with call-up for injuries or he could alternate with Haley when appropriate. Malgin likely has the 3LW sewed up to help communication with Mamin who speaks little English. :)

We mentioned it earlier that Barkov was likely the selling point for Dadonov, for Dadonov it's about a perfect spot to come back to NHL.

I believe Tallon also mentioned the potential of,
Haapala- Trocheck- Vrbata
top6.

You're a Bruins fan right?

You're one of the posters who brings the most common sense into Panthers discussion!

Yes.

I have to admit that I don't know a lot but when the season is on I watch games everyday, including Florida games.

I don't mean to be too rude but to me the goal should be for Tippett to become part of core and for him likely the best thing is to go back to juniors, dominate and work on those question marks there were around his game. With his point totals he should/could have been a higher pick.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
We mentioned it earlier that Barkov was likely the selling point for Dadonov, for Dadonov it's about a perfect spot to come back to NHL.

I believe Tallon also mentioned the potential of,
Haapala- Trocheck- Vrbata
top6.

Yes.

I have to admit that I don't know a lot but when the season is on I watch games everyday, including Florida games.

I don't mean to be too rude but to me the goal should be for Tippett to become part of core and for him likely the best thing is to go back to juniors, dominate and work on those question marks there were around his game. With his point totals he should/could have been a higher pick.

I don't think anyone will disagrees with that or thinks you're rude! You and CPF both like **** football teams :) but otherwise...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-pastrnak-looking-like-a-steal-for-the-bruins

Here's an interesting article on Pasta, why didn't you mention him? :sarcasm: I know he didn't start on the 1st line but the 3rd, he did debut as an 18yr old and this article makes an argument he should have been moved up into the top 6.

I agree it's not common place to thrust a rookie into a top line role but I'd try it for at least 3-4 games of the 9 game tryout he may earn and see where it goes from there.

Isn't next year 2018/19? I'm a little confused?

At worst he is in the AHL, he's eligible at the end of this OHL season. I'd expect around the same numbers from Tippett in Mississauga, you expect him to have a drop off when looking into that crystal ball? :naughty:

Feel Repo would bring some much needed grit and scoring ability, he may be another Howden/Skille type guy but seems willing to drop the gloves even if he isn't outright winning most of them. Haley can do the same. The Mack contract is the one that doesn't make sense. We also can't really bench him, being our Captain.

Malgin is definitely an option, his speed and creativity is welcomed, just needs to keep up the defensive work. As I said above, we have options and our cupboards aren't as barren as many think. :)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

I have no words. What is with our players/prospects and getting drilled hard enough to make headlines? It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^I luv that name......Mismash.:laugh:

Tippett may be 200 lbs but it's not a solid 200 lbs. He's like Barkov in that he's a large framed kid but soft. Needs to get to work in the weight room. Mismash is 20 lbs lighter and caught him turning low and off balance. These are the typical mistakes by guys who don't anticipate well and it leads to putting you body in a vulnerable position in lieu of protecting yourself. Same mistake that Ekblad makes. :(

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-pastrnak-looking-like-a-steal-for-the-bruins

Here's an interesting article on Pasta, why didn't you mention him? :sarcasm: I know he didn't start on the 1st line but the 3rd, he did debut as an 18yr old and this article makes an argument he should have been moved up into the top 6.

I agree it's not common place to thrust a rookie into a top line role but I'd try it for at least 3-4 games of the 9 game tryout he may earn and see where it goes from there.

Isn't next year 2018/19? I'm a little confused?

Pasta played in AllSvenskan on his draft year, he started in the AHL(played the 1st half there) and was great on the 2nd half in a sheltered role, he had his faults but he was 18y.
He certainly shouldn't have been given a 1st line role.

You can't developed Tippett like you could Pasta and you can't afford to miss on Tippett.
This season is 17/18.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think the rules for CHL players is set in stone at 20 yrs old prior to Jan 1st. If you have further info, let me know. :)

I believe Juolevi had the chance to play in the AHL after this season but Vancouver wanted to shut him down and focus on his weight gain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_contracts
"An Amateur Try Out (ATO) is found in the NHL, the AHL, and the ECHL. This type of contract is for players who are leaving college and attempting to turn professional, are done with college, or are graduating from the junior leagues. An ATO is a very common practice near the end of the professional seasons as they go deeper into the year than college or junior schedules."

I'm a Finn so my english isn't perfect but I guess it's a chance for Tippett. But for +2 season it's again either junior or NHL due to february birthday.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

"When a player’s CHL season ends, they are allowed to join an AHL club on an amateur tryout contract for the remainder of that AHL season. But when the next season begins, the player’s options fall back to the NHL or CHL if he’s under 20."

That's what I was looking for.

If Florida thinks(at the end of his season) that Tippett is going to push for a spot next season giving him some AHL games makes a lot of sense.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
"When a player̢۪s CHL season ends, they are allowed to join an AHL club on an amateur tryout contract for the remainder of that AHL season. But when the next season begins, the player̢۪s options fall back to the NHL or CHL if he̢۪s under 20."

That's what I was looking for.

If Florida thinks(at the end of his season) that Tippett is going to push for a spot next season giving him some AHL games makes a lot of sense.
Sounds reasonable unless someone else has more info, I'll buy into it. I did mention awhile back another option. If the Cats feel he won't make the team this year and the OHL would not help him, I think he could elect to go over and play in Europe ala Switzerland. :)

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I would much rather him go to Juniors to gain his confidence then rush him. We are not likely going to compete for the cup this season so why waste a year on his ELC and rush him at the same time.

Unless he really shows it in pre-season and is lighting it up in his 9 game tryout(like close to a point a game) send him down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad