Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
He has that look while he's skating where he just looks like a dangerous player...not sure how to describe it but you probably get what I mean.
I agree, he looks like he knows what to do with the puck immediately after he gets it on his stick.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
CapFriendly has Tippett's ELC as:

First year; 925k salary (92.5k of that in signing bonuses) and potential 500k as performance bonuses.
Second & Third year; 925k salary (92.5k signing bonus) and 850k in performance bonuses.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this. Curious about what the advantage is of signing him to an ELC at this point? He can't play in the AHL right? Why not give him the 9 game try-out and sign him if he makes the team? Or send him back to Jr. if necessary without burning an ELC year?

Does this indicate that we're leaning towards keeping him with the NHL?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this. Curious about what the advantage is of signing him to an ELC at this point? He can't play in the AHL right? Why not give him the 9 game try-out and sign him if he makes the team? Or send him back to Jr. if necessary without burning an ELC year?

I could be, but it doesn't mean it's set in stone.

"What is an Entry Level Slide?
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player."

Anod

Aug 12, 2007
Toronto, ON

You can't get a 9 game tryout unless you have an ELC. The first year of the ELC doesn't kick in unless he plays more than 9 games in NHL though. So he can still be sent back to OHL.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You can't get a 9 game tryout unless you have an ELC. The first year of the ELC doesn't kick in unless he plays more than 9 games in NHL though. So he can still be sent back to OHL.
Correct, which is why I put the three years as first/second/third, instead of naming actual seasons.

Crouse signed his ELC on 7/15/15 and didn't make the team that year.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
it also shows good faith for the club showing a commitment to their 1st round pick. it also prevents the player from re-entering the draft i believe.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
it also shows good faith for the club showing a commitment to their 1st round pick. it also prevents the player from re-entering the draft i believe.

He wouldn’t be able to re-enter for a few years I believe, so that’s kind of irrelevant. He wouldn’t be able to go into next years draft, for example.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If he does play more than 10 games in Florida, can he be sent to Springfield or it's only back to the OHL because of his age? Feel he doesn't have much to prove in Mississauga but isn't ready for the NHL just yet. Springfield would be perfect, good competition which keeps him working harder to earn minutes.

If he does go back to Mississauga, I'm only 20 mins from their barn and will go see him live.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If he does play more than 10 games in Florida, can he be sent to Springfield or it's only back to the OHL because of his age? Feel he doesn't have much to prove in Mississauga but isn't ready for the NHL just yet. Springfield would be perfect, good competition which keeps him working harder to earn minutes.

If he does go back to Mississauga, I'm only 20 mins from their barn and will go see him live.
NHL or OHL, until his OHL season is done. Then he can be re-assigned to Springfield.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
NHL or OHL, until his OHL season is done. Then he can be re-assigned to Springfield.

Thanks Soup. That's what I assumed. Guess it can't hurt to continue building his confidence in the OHL. Vrbata signing seems like his stopgap anyhow. I'll go see 5-6 games this year when I can and write up a review.

EDIT: Tallon saying he thinks Tippett will compete for a spot? Does he really jump above Dad and Vrbata though? He'd be on 3rd with Bjugstad? Doesn't scream defensively sound but could be interesting if it's Mamin-Bjugstad-Tippett. They have speed and goal scoring capability, just need to play good positional hockey in all 3 zones.

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Thanks Soup. That's what I assumed. Guess it can't hurt to continue building his confidence in the OHL. Vrbata signing seems like his stopgap anyhow. I'll go see 5-6 games this year when I can and write up a review.

EDIT: Tallon saying he thinks Tippett will compete for a spot? Does he really jump above Dad and Vrbata though? He'd be on 3rd with Bjugstad? Doesn't scream defensively sound but could be interesting if it's Mamin-Bjugstad-Tippett. They have speed and goal scoring capability, just need to play good positional hockey in all 3 zones.

Can Vrbata play LW? I'm wondering if Tippett might push Happala down to 3rd line? Also, it's a valid question on whether or not the Panthers would keep Tippett up for the whole season if say for example, he's playing 3rd line and 2nd unit PP minutes...

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I wouldn't put too much stock into what management says about training camp this early in the offseason, remember that Crouse was supposed to get his 9 games too and they didn't even give him a proper chance at TC before sending him back to juniors.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Can Vrbata play LW? I'm wondering if Tippett might push Happala down to 3rd line? Also, it's a valid question on whether or not the Panthers would keep Tippett up for the whole season if say for example, he's playing 3rd line and 2nd unit PP minutes...

Ya I'm not sure if Vrbata has previously played LW. Don't catch a lot of Coyotes games.

The Score has an article thinking Tippett will play alongside Barkov and Huberdeau and that he could win the Calder and pot 30 goals. Sounds a bit ambitious but that's the only spot that makes sense, if not send him back to OHL. Giving him 3rd line minutes seems like a waste and pairing him with trocheck doesn't make sense as they're both shoot first guys. What's your thoughts on what we should do with him? He does have the speed, size and shot to play in the NHL but his defensive side needs work as we all know.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I wouldn't rush him& just for fun waste a year of his ELC.

Quality ELC contracts are damm important in todays NHL with the cap. Just look at the Cup winners/teams in cap hell.

For budget team those quality ELC contracts are even more important.
Florida has 2 prospects with elite/great potential, Tippett& Borgstrom.

1 year in juniors with dominating WJC& then NHL.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Ya I'm not sure if Vrbata has previously played LW. Don't catch a lot of Coyotes games.

The Score has an article thinking Tippett will play alongside Barkov and Huberdeau and that he could win the Calder and pot 30 goals. Sounds a bit ambitious but that's the only spot that makes sense, if not send him back to OHL. Giving him 3rd line minutes seems like a waste and pairing him with trocheck doesn't make sense as they're both shoot first guys. What's your thoughts on what we should do with him? He does have the speed, size and shot to play in the NHL but his defensive side needs work as we all know.
I see quite a few Coyotes games and Vrbata played RW in every game that I watched. I'm sure he is experienced enough to play his off wing but the coaches feel that for whatever reason his game is more suited for the right side. If Haapala is so bad, then it's possible Vrbata could play the off wing.

Realistically I really don't think it makes much sense to give Tippett 9 games. There is no way he goes on the top 2 lines without injuries as Dadonov and Vrbata have those slots sewed up, and IMO Mamin has the 3rd line RW sewed up. Tippett's best chance is next season depending on the season that Vrbata has and if they resign him. If they resign Vrbata then it's likely Tippett stays in the OHL for the next 2 years. If I were Tippett, I'd head to Switzerland if that's the case. :)

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't rush him& just for fun waste a year of his ELC.

Quality ELC contracts are damm important in todays NHL with the cap. Just look at the Cup winners/teams in cap hell.

For budget team those quality ELC contracts are even more important.
Florida has 2 prospects with elite/great potential, Tippett& Borgstrom.

1 year in juniors with dominating WJC& then NHL.

Would we be rushing him if he is insulated by Huberdeau and Barkov? Otherwise I agree, 2nd or 3rd line is not what we drafted him for. It's 1st line or OHL for me, just wish he was eligible for Springfield which would be ideal. A lot depends on what he does at camp, feel he earns a 9 game tryout whether it's at the start of the season or end of it when we're out of the race.

I agree he will probably be sent down and could really benefit from building his confidence while working on his skating and two-way game in Mississauga. Their first home game is September 22nd, may go see it if he's in the lineup. Always love the WJC, he's a lock for the team if available :popcorn:

I see quite a few Coyotes games and Vrbata played RW in every game that I watched. I'm sure he is experienced enough to play his off wing but the coaches feel that for whatever reason his game is more suited for the right side. If Haapala is so bad, then it's possible Vrbata could play the off wing.

Realistically I really don't think it makes much sense to give Tippett 9 games. There is no way he goes on the top 2 lines without injuries as Dadonov and Vrbata have those slots sewed up, and IMO Mamin has the 3rd line RW sewed up. Tippett's best chance is next season depending on the season that Vrbata has and if they resign him. If they resign Vrbata then it's likely Tippett stays in the OHL for the next 2 years. If I were Tippett, I'd head to Switzerland if that's the case. :)

So you'd go Vrbata with Huberdeau and Barkov? Dadonov with Trocheck and possibly Haapala?

Can't Dadonov play both wings? He can be 2LW.
If Tippett does earn the 9 gamer, I'd try:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Tippett
Dadonov - Trocheck - Vrbata
Malgin/Haapy - Bjugstad - Mamin
Mack - Repo - Sceviour

You think he spends 2 years in OHL? I'd put some money he's on the roster by next year full time. Look at the teams on the rise. Carolina, Philadelphia, Columbus and Toronto (Arizona is a team to watch this year as well). They're all built with some solid players who have at least 4-6 years of experience and then loaded with rookies. We aren't in this category or close?

Teams like Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, Montreal, Minnesota, San Jose and Washington are on the wrong side now but still have 2-3 years left until they need some major re-tooling. :)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would we be rushing him if he is insulated by Huberdeau and Barkov? Otherwise I agree, 2nd or 3rd line is not what we drafted him for. It's 1st line or OHL for me, just wish he was eligible for Springfield which would be ideal. A lot depends on what he does at camp, feel he earns a 9 game tryout whether it's at the start of the season or end of it when we're out of the race.

I agree he will probably be sent down and could really benefit from building his confidence while working on his skating and two-way game in Mississauga. Their first home game is September 22nd, may go see it if he's in the lineup. Always love the WJC, he's a lock for the team if available :popcorn:

What would be the point for the team?
Barkov& Huberdeau need career years for Florida to get into playoffs.
Huberdeau- Barkov- Dadonov could be a true 1st line, both Dadonov& Haapala are better players than Tippett today, +ppg players in pro leagues.

Tippett's just 18y, he's no McDavid/Eichel/Laine/Matthews, he's never played against men& Barkov line will see the best in the league.
Yes Huberdeau- Barkov could carry him skill/chemistry wise but again they'll see the best in the league, or should see the best in the league and that's a tough place for Tippett.
He had some concerns around him pre draft, let him work on those in juniors.

This should not be all in year for Florida and in no way should they be in rush to burn a year of that damm valuable ELC contract.
Tippett was drafted to address Floridas biggest weakness/need forward group wise, develop him to become that player& be cheap as long as possible.

Huberdeau- Barkov- Dadonov
Haapala- Trocheck- Tippett
Borgstrom- Malgin/Bjugstad- Mamin
for 18/19.

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
to link me into this Discussion i thouhgt about that myself.
Are we playing with Tippet will he stay or play only the usual 10 Games.

In my Opinion i dont wanna see him a single Game with the Panthers. He has skill and a great shoot, what you like to see from a Winger special when you look back at our last Winger Prospects.

First he only played 2 OHL Season, in the current Game you need to play both Sides on the Ice, not so sure if a 18 Year old are willed and consistent can play this Game.
Second thought i dont like the 10 Games, if you looked back this Season, in the first 12 Games you find scores like 7:1, 6:5, 7:4.
As usual most Defenders and Goalies are been horrible in the Time Span. Where a young Winger like Tippet can look better then the later Season could be.
Third more worst Situation, from my sight, let him play 10 Games and he score 3-4 Goals and make 8 Points, and then get send back to the OHL. How motivated will be a young Player getting "Downgraded", sure most Player play the usual Season. But from my point of view, i dont wanna lick the Ice once, i wanna taste it till the end.

I know he is that Winger we are looking for, shoot and scoring first Winger. But i thing its to early.

And i agree with BB88. Lets bring in Borgstrom and Tippet next Season if both stay healthy the Season and continueing in their process. And then give them some ice time on 3rd of 4th line. But steady Ice Time so the get from Game to Game into the Pro level. Both showed already skills to pass on the Years of AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad