Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Here's a quick look at what I feel might be the roster for early next season.

Lazerchuck-OA Hancock-OA Suzuki-99
Sushko-99 Dudas-00 (Import-00/01)
Roberts-99 Russell-01 Groulx-00
Doherty-00 Barnes-02 Robinson-99
Waters-02

Phillips-99 Durzi-OA
(Trade-00/99) Lyle-99
Chibrikov-01 Seed-02
(Trade 00/01)

Guzda-01
(Trade-99/00)

Last edited:

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
What a great series guys. With all the ups and downs this year, you guys did well. Can;t wait for next season. Congrats on a great season

Reactions: zman77

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Here's a quick look at what I feel might be the roster for early next season.

Lazerchuck-OA Hancock-OA Suzuki-99
Sushko-99 Dudas-00 (Import-00/01)
Roberts-99 Russell-01 Groulx-00
Doherty-00 Barnes-02 Robinson-99
Waters-02

Phillips-99 Durzi-OA
(Trade-00/99) Lyle-99
Chibrikov-01 Seed-02
(Trade 00/01)

Guzda-01
(Trade-99/00)

Don't discount the possibility the Attack could bring in an import defense man . We've seen a number of great dmen from overseas.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attacks goal against average vs. Soo was 3.85. During the regular season, it was 3.63.

Soo went from 2.74 to 4.42.

The 3 wins for the Attack the goal differential was total 13

The four for the Soo was total nine. Their 3 regulation wins included empty net goals in each.

So Attack goaltending was pretty consistent throughout. .

I suspect Lafrenierre was nursing his groin in the playoffs, and thus Guzda got games 6 and 7.

A tough spot to put a rookie. Valuable experience gained.

Reactions: OSMike and Noofgoof

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Congrats Owen Sound on a gutsy performance against the Soo!
You were very close with beating the #1 team in Canada.

Nick Suzuki had another great year!

Mike Stubbs Retweeted
980 CFPL London News‏Verified account @AM980News 17h17 hours ago

For the second year in a row,
#Ldnont’s Nick Suzuki of the Owen Sound Attack
has been named the OHL’s Most Sportsmanlike Player.

pic.twitter.com/49IzqsWDkM
Dbk13t6V4AAl2d_.jpg

Reactions: MordredGK and LDN

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
One of my favourite types of players are big hard nosed Dmen. Going to miss Jacob Friend in the OHL. Love those types of Dmen that continually punish opponents in the Dzone. This guy played right on that edge. Type of player that make opponents keep their noggins up.

Reactions: AttackSound

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
So here’s an interesting fact. If Dale DeGray has done his job and gotten the Attack a decent goaltender, the Attack probably would have been playing in the OHL Finals. With Acadie-Bathurst and Swift Current both playing in the Q and W finals respectively, it’s conceivable that Owen Sound could have been the biggest CHL market to qualify for the Memorial Cup this year. If the Attack got a few favourable calls in such a Memorial Cup it would have been hilarious to hear complaints from other fans about how the CHL favours big markets.

Reactions: SebJHockey

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Wow, do the Attack have a real good one on the way in Nolan Seed.

HMO didn't have a great day but Seed was noticeable.

Moves well, Decent size. Very calm with the puck and had more then a few clean, tidy break outs.

Carries the puck well and doesn't seam to panic much.

He is listed at 155 pounds I believe, he'll likely be closer to 165-170 before camp. He's going to be a beast.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Saw this tweet by The Scout.ca......How Josh Barnes fell to the 2nd round is one that will continue to be a mystery for us. Ridiculous shooter who can score at will. He could score 25-30 as a rookie @AttackOHL

I figured DeGray had to hit a home run with picks 1 snd 2, due to missing some picks on the first five rounds .

In Nolan Seed and Josh Barnes, I believe he's done just that. I look forward to watching them both this fall.

Reactions: OHL insideout

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
While watching the playoff run this season and the games played since the Attack where eliminated, I'm seeing that size and strength are definitely making a difference in most games. While it's nice to have a very talented, offensive team I think it is imperative to blend in some size and toughness throughout the roster.
The Attack do need to replace a Friend and a Gadjovich and maybe bring in a Schmalz type as well. The roster moving forward is talented for sure but many similar style players. I know that you need skill and slick skating players these days to compete and win but to have the championship caliber team you need to also have a few big, tough "put some fear in the opposition" types as well.
Oh, and a #1 goalie...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
While watching the playoff run this season and the games played since the Attack where eliminated, I'm seeing that size and strength are definitely making a difference in most games. While it's nice to have a very talented, offensive team I think it is imperative to blend in some size and toughness throughout the roster.
The Attack do need to replace a Friend and a Gadjovich and maybe bring in a Schmalz type as well. The roster moving forward is talented for sure but many similar style players. I know that you need skill and slick skating players these days to compete and win but to have the championship caliber team you need to also have a few big, tough "put some fear in the opposition" types as well.
Oh, and a #1 goalie...
I think this is one thing that will not be an issue for the Attack next year - you have a "seasoned" 17 year old goalie that will be turning some heads next year - Guzda. Goaltending will be the least of your problems.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I love Guzda and hes going to be great but you always gota be weary of the “sophmore slump” where some guys almost take a step back not on purpose but the opposition starts to figure them out it usually turns around but saying the Attack will be ok with out a true number 1 and running a 17 year old might be pushing it

Reactions: HLLYWD99

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
I love Guzda and hes going to be great but you always gota be weary of the “sophmore slump” where some guys almost take a step back not on purpose but the opposition starts to figure them out it usually turns around but saying the Attack will be ok with out a true number 1 and running a 17 year old might be pushing it
Agreed!
Guzda should prosper from the exposure he had as a 16 year old, however I doubt that he will become a true #1 at the age of 17.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Congratulations Connor Walters on becoming league champion.

Always great to see a former Attack player do well.

Good luck at the Memorial Cup !

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Saw this tweet by The Scout.ca......How Josh Barnes fell to the 2nd round is one that will continue to be a mystery for us. Ridiculous shooter who can score at will. He could score 25-30 as a rookie @AttackOHL

I guess he fell to the 2nd round because he isn't coming to the OHL.... Tough to waste the 24th overall pick on a guy who isn't coming

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Well there's a gap that can't be filled. That'll leave a hole in two years.
I guess the Attack couldnt pony up $$

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
:soap:Come on Dale, geez. Strike out on Knierim, that kid from Buffalo (Krug?) and now Barnes.

The 2nds need to be spent on players that will report. If Dale didn’t take the risk on Knieriem, he could have drafted Kyrou or Katchouk that year and we’d probably be on our way to Regina.

:facepalm:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Can't dwell on the players who aren't in camp can only focus on the one's who are.

Team is in good shape moving forward a few ???'s in key areas like tending that will hopefully be answered in training camp beyond that team is in good shape moving forward into 2018/19.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I have seen it in the past where a higher profile 2nd round pick will hold out or commit to an NCAA program in order to get a Gold Education package or whatever they are called now. The ones that all 1st rounders get. Could be seeing that here.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I figured DeGray had to hit a home run with picks 1 snd 2, due to missing some picks on the first five rounds .

In Nolan Seed and Josh Barnes, I believe he's done just that. I look forward to watching them both this fall.

We'll, I was looking forward .
Looks like I'll have to settle for Nolan Seed.

Barnes departure before arrival means someone else gets a crack at the roster.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Wow if Barnes doesn't end up here that was a BIG WASTE of a pick in a deep draft..

I concur. Getting nothing for that Erie pick how could it have gone so wrong so fast ?

You'd think there would have been an inkling he was looking elsewhere ?

The Attacks depth takes a hit very time we miss on those picks, and it's been three in recent years.

This will really hurt in a couple years, when the picks are still thin and no Barnes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad