Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I have to think that DD had a sense from Barnes that he would report to OS, otherwise why take him with that #24 pick? Maybe the player changed his mind since the draft, or else like Seb suggested perhaps he is holding out at this time.

Or maybe there was a sense among OHL GM's that Barnes was leaning toward the NCAA, hence why he fell to the second round. On the other hand, it was a deep draft though, so maybe the reason he fell to the 2nd round had nothing to do with possible NCAA interest.

Hard to say at this point. Would definitely sting if he does not end up reporting here since we lack higher picks the next few years.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I have to think that DD had a sense from Barnes that he would report to OS, otherwise why take him with that #24 pick? Maybe the player changed his mind since the draft, or else like Seb suggested perhaps he is holding out at this time.

Or maybe there was a sense among OHL GM's that Barnes was leaning toward the NCAA, hence why he fell to the second round. On the other hand, it was a deep draft though, so maybe the reason he fell to the 2nd round had nothing to do with possible NCAA interest.

Hard to say at this point. Would definitely sting if he does not end up reporting here since we lack higher picks the next few years.

At the same time though, he was an easy top 15 pick, so why did so many teams pass on him if he wasn't going NCAA?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I notice a number of teams have signed their top guys already .

Maybe the Attack should do that.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
At the same time though, he was an easy top 15 pick, so why did so many teams pass on him if he wasn't going NCAA?
He was not a lock for first round. There were about 30 kids who could have went in the first round. He likely fell because he is a one-trick pony as a goal scorer on the PP.

Maybe their was a lack of communication from Owen Sound? Maybe he was not happy a fellow Ottawa kid in Seed was picked ahead of him? Heard the Attack dont have a rookie camp following the draft like most other teams do. Those camps give a chance for teams to connect with these players face to face. Maybe that missed opportunity made the family uneasy.

Tons of possibilities.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Maybe the Attack couldnt match the offer from Penn State. Any way you slice it, it's left a little egg on the face.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
An article from January 2018. He sounded pretty non-committal about the OHL.

Barnes says he isn’t sure what route he will take — OHL, or CCHL and the pursuit of an NCAA scholarship.

“To be honest, we don’t know yet. See where I get drafted,” said Barnes. “It kind of depends where and what opportunities are there.”

Bright future for Barnes

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
An article from January 2018. He sounded pretty non-committal about the OHL.

Barnes says he isn’t sure what route he will take — OHL, or CCHL and the pursuit of an NCAA scholarship.

“To be honest, we don’t know yet. See where I get drafted,” said Barnes. “It kind of depends where and what opportunities are there.”

Bright future for Barnes

I just reread the Attack website, where they said sll five OHL Cup players would be attending the Bbq early in June.
Obviously they've had a change of heart at team Barnes.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
how many players were locks to be a 1st round picks?.....every draft you keep hearing how this player or that player dropped due to "NCAA commit". With this past deep draft Barnes may have been the 50th sure thing 1st round draft pick. ;)

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
how many players were locks to be a 1st round picks?.....every draft you keep hearing how this player or that player dropped due to "NCAA commit". With this past deep draft Barnes may have been the 50th sure thing 1st round draft pick. ;)

I had Barnes ranked 16th. And if he hadve played in the GTHL against better competition, it likely would’ve been higher

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
If I recall correctly, I believe Dale indicated that Josh was looking forward to playing with Nolan Seed, as they were very familiar with each other, having played numerous games against each other. Have heard of other players who said they were committed to NCAA but then changed their minds. Hopefully this is the case. Guess we will see if he is at the BBQ on June 3rd or reports to training camp in August.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
The problem is the commitment came after the draft. That’s not a good sign at all.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Andy Lehoux Retweeted
Popternative‏ @popternative 1h1 hour ago

Aidan Dudas talks about his year with the @AttackOHL,
representing
@HC_Men at U-18s, preparing for the #NHLDraft and more!
Watch:

https://goo.gl/cE2LLa
Direct Download and listen:

https://goo.gl/7sviwT
#PodernFamily
#Hockey
pic.twitter.com/NuKmyg0JkU
DdvapVEUwAEczIo.jpg

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
He was not a lock for first round. There were about 30 kids who could have went in the first round. He likely fell because he is a one-trick pony as a goal scorer on the PP.

Maybe their was a lack of communication from Owen Sound? Maybe he was not happy a fellow Ottawa kid in Seed was picked ahead of him? Heard the Attack dont have a rookie camp following the draft like most other teams do. Those camps give a chance for teams to connect with these players face to face. Maybe that missed opportunity made the family uneasy.

Tons of possibilities.
High risk for ncaa prior to draft

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Heard Fred Wallace on CFOS today, he's sports director and Attack pbp guy.

Hes reporting The Attack talked to Barnes family just before they picked him, were assured he'd report.

They offered him a top package, his agent said he'd report.

His agent and Attack are puzzled.

I understand kids and parents changing their minds, etc. It's all part of the biz. There's just no way of guaranteeing these picks work out .

This unfortunate development stings the Attack . Barnes would have replaced Suzuki moving forward.

Last edited:

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Heard Fred Wallace on CFOS today, he's sports director and Attack pbp guy.

Hes reporting The Attack talked to Barnes family just before they picked him, were assured he'd report.

They offered him a top package, his agent said he'd report.

His agent and Attack are puzzled.

Sounds like they got jobbed.

Here's a recent article confirming Penn State move
Cornwall Colts’ Josh Barnes turns to NCAA’s Penn State

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
There’s an opening on the wing of what will be one of the OHL’s top lines next year with Suzuki and Hancock. Sorry Josh, but there won’t be any better opportunity than that coming for you in the next 3-4 years.

Bad decision on the kid’s part. I hope he’s not surprised when he becomes a mid-round NHL pick.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
There’s an opening on the wing of what will be one of the OHL’s top lines next year with Suzuki and Hancock. Sorry Josh, but there won’t be any better opportunity than that coming for you in the next 3-4 years.

Bad decision on the kid’s part. I hope he’s not surprised when he becomes a mid-round NHL pick.

At this point we move on .

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
At this point we move on .

Whatever....

If Josh played 5 years say in Owen Sound and pro hockey didn’t work out, he would have his education to become a dentist paid for. I’m still waiting to hear from NCAA proponents about how, say, a BSc and DDS from Queens or U of T are inferior than those obtained from Penn St. or Michigan.

If the kid got into an Ivy League school, then go for it. But he didn’t. The hockey/school combo is better in the CHL otherwise.

Edit: you put “Or a dentist....” and have since deleted that. That is what I responded to

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Bench Talk / Off The Wire
Barnes Door Closes
Fred
By Fred Wallace

The Curious Case Of The 2nd Rounder

Length:

Hi, this is Fred Wallace with " Off the Wire ".

The Owen Sound Attack will hold their annual awards barbeque on Sunday, primarily at the Harry Lumley-Bayshore Community Centre.

As of this moment, among those NOT expected to attend is second round draft pick Josh Barnes.

Barnes who was selected by the Attack 24th overall from the Cornwall Colts, recently announced his intention to stay in Cornwall, play Junior A for the Colts, and eventually attend Penn State University & play hockey in 2 years time.

You may wonder how & why the Attack would make such a risky pick, or take a wild flyer with such a high pick in the Ontario Hockey League's Priority Selection.....

Well, trust me when I tell you the Attack brass are very conservative in nature and extremely cautious & calculating with their draft picks- they have to be based on the division and conference they compete in.

The story goes, from inside the draft room walls, Barnes and/or his family were contacted mere minutes before the 24th selection.

Barnes and/or his family were informed the Attack were highly interested and then they were asked straight up, would he report to Owen Sound if chosen by the Attack ?

Barnes and/or his family answered in the affirmative and the Attack made the pick.

Imagine how flabbergasted the Attack brass were by the recent announcement !!

When this sort of scenario unfolds, suspiciously, you tend to wonder if the agent is playing some sort of game.

Well the agent, as I understand it, is Uptown Hockey, fronted now by Todd Reynolds, carrying the family tradition started by his father, Don, a tradition that values people; the Primeaus, Chris Neil among many others, and has no such reputation for participating in the shell game of Junior Hockey.

In fact, a colleague of mine who's familiar with the inner workings of Uptown Hockey relates a prominent NHL defenceman was once dropped as a client by Uptown, because the agency tired quickly of both the very gifted player.....and his pushy mother.

Again, from inside the Attack walls, Uptown Hockey attended an Attack Playoff game in Owen Sound that followed the 2018 OHL Priority Selection and the word was the agency was pleasantly delighted that the Attack offered all the maximum perks with minimum discussion.....

It's a free country and Josh Barnes can choose the hockey path that he sees fit, but the reported turnabout likely has a well respected sports agency and certainly a well respected OHL club very puzzled.

I'm Fred Wallace

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
After reading the latest articles and posts it really is unfortunate for the Attack to lose out on a good talent like this player has shown to be so far as a 15 year old but there isn't much more DD or the scouts can do. They for sure did their due diligence before the draft making sure the boy/agent had all intentions of coming to Owen Sound. This sort of thing is happening more and more these days to other teams as well. The organization will move forward and it will be business as usual. Next up, the BBQ and awards Sunday 3'rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad