Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This has been obvious since Day 1, though. It's too bad London didn't go full heel and trade Raaymakers to OS after Raftis refused to--that would have been an all-time great Hunter move. (I bet Marty Williamson would have done it!)

I think DeGray is a good GM, but that was an all-time blunder, absolutely. When your team allows a league-low number of shots but has the league's second-worst save percentage, you may have a goaltending problem. Fireable offense? Well, that depends on whether you think you can get someone better, I guess.

Don't underestimate the Hunters. They acquired Raaymakers knowing that either they would have a shot at contending, or to move him at the deadline considering the premium on top goalies in the league this year.

Once they started selling in London, no doubt Raaymakers was also made available to the highest bidder. Once DiPietro came off the board, no doubt the Hunters decided that they would either move Raaymakers for steep ransom or keep him to use next year as an overager.

No way teams like Kitchener and Owen Sound, contending teams in need of goaltending, did not call London and inquire about Raaymakers. Because London did not have to deal him because he is almost guaranteed to return as an overager next year, they could afford to ask for large return playing teams off each other. Raaymakers cost London two 2nds, a conditional fourth and the backup Johnson. No doubt that London would have been looking for considerably more for him at the deadline.

As far as Kitchener was concerned, the last body they brought in was Culina. So they had already spent large to bring in Brown, McEneny and Smith. If I'm London, any deal for Raaymakers would have had to include the two 2nds in 2018 the Rangers still had. Too expensive for MM.

In the end, neither team chose to pay that huge price that they would've demanded for Raaymakers. Kitchener picked up Culina on the cheap and Owen Sound made the same type of move bringing in LaFreniere.

And London is set in net next year.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Tough year to have to pick up a goalie. There is a reason goalie rules are being changed with not counting them as OAs and allowing imports again. Raaymakers was the guy they needed to pick up. Helvig never became available . Culina has been good but that's hindsight. His price would have been a lot more if consensus was he would turn out as he did. Was it a fireable offense not to pick up a goalie? I doubt it. If it is, I would think DD's phone will ring off the hook. Be careful what you wish for - there's a lot of bad GMs out there.

All in all 2 very good seasons back to back all things considered. Congrats.

A few too many setbacks early on caught up with them in the end. No one's fault really just didn't expect the team to have the injury bug all season and tender issues that came out of nowhere when it did good to see the team make noise in the post-season after stumbling out of the gate early on future bright for the team headed into next season

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Yet with sub par goaltending they still took the number one team in Canada to game 7.........
I’d still call that a success
If you guys would of had a true #1 goalie I think you guys would have won this series you got to give your forwards and defence credit they could have easily gave up when it was 7-2 they kept coming and coming. I just want to say thanks for the great series it was far better than the Saginaw series it was true playoff hockey,you just never knew who was gonna win any games by for now and it was a pleasure chatting with you guys

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I have no evidence, but I believe the Attack were playing thru a number of injuries.

DeGray has been slammed for months about the goalie situation , but credit where due, Brett Mackenzie and Alan Lyszcarczyk were among our best playoff performers, as was Sean Durzi, who , through 2 rounds, the top performing Dman in the O.

Friend, Bourque, Durzi all suffered significant injuries this season and Then Phillips in the playoffs. It's amazing those four played as solid as they did.

Reactions: OhSheila

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I'll pile on with hound girl. I think you guys take the series in six with OHL calibre goaltending. Overall you guys appeared to be the better team, but you gave up some costly goals. Didn't seem like you could get a big save when you needed it at times.

Either way, heck of a series from both sides I commend your relentlessness even when down big. Trying to give us a heart attack haha

Reactions: Noofgoof and zman77

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Hi Owen Sound from SSM. Thank you for that series. I was saying all series that whoever wins between us 2 will have a strong chance at representing the O in Regina. Hell of a team you have this year. Thanks for the banter and the ups and downs. See you next year!

Reactions: zman77 and Noofgoof

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Well this wasn't the way any of us Attack fans wanted the season to end but I for one can honestly say, "thank you" to this group of players. They worked hard through both good times and through tough times. The leaders lead and the supporting cast did what they needed to do to make for one heck of a hockey season for us OS fans.
It's time now for the management group to focus on next year and years beyond, we can only hope us fans will be entertained with the effort's of these young hockey players like we witnessed this year, for years to come.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
What a battle. Hate to see the boys go out but they didn't quit and made a game of it. I called it at 9pm and was certainly surprised to see the final score when my daughter got up at 2am. Proud of all the boys. Sad to see Szypula, Friend and McKenzie go. The future looks bright still and I think we have the ability to make a run next year. Now it's officially spring..

Reactions: Noofgoof

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
If the Attack had even a half decent OHL back up goalie they take this series. Not to beat a dead horse but what a waste of championship caliber roster.

Reactions: OSA

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Wow, what a great series. What a finish. The Attack battled right to the end. Attack fans have a lot to be proud about. The players gave their all and almost pulled off an epic comeback. Congrats on a great season.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Don't underestimate the Hunters. They acquired Raaymakers knowing that either they would have a shot at contending, or to move him at the deadline considering the premium on top goalies in the league this year.

Once they started selling in London, no doubt Raaymakers was also made available to the highest bidder. Once DiPietro came off the board, no doubt the Hunters decided that they would either move Raaymakers for steep ransom or keep him to use next year as an overager.

No way teams like Kitchener and Owen Sound, contending teams in need of goaltending, did not call London and inquire about Raaymakers. Because London did not have to deal him because he is almost guaranteed to return as an overager next year, they could afford to ask for large return playing teams off each other. Raaymakers cost London two 2nds, a conditional fourth and the backup Johnson. No doubt that London would have been looking for considerably more for him at the deadline.

As far as Kitchener was concerned, the last body they brought in was Culina. So they had already spent large to bring in Brown, McEneny and Smith. If I'm London, any deal for Raaymakers would have had to include the two 2nds in 2018 the Rangers still had. Too expensive for MM.

In the end, neither team chose to pay that huge price that they would've demanded for Raaymakers. Kitchener picked up Culina on the cheap and Owen Sound made the same type of move bringing in LaFreniere.

And London is set in net next year.

All good points. Hard to blame teams for balking at overpaying under those circumstances.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Thanks for a great series OS, we'll see you in the playoffs next year as it seems to be a trend over the past few years for us to meet you guys at some point...ps Guzda looks like he'll be solid next season, played a helluva series against our team

Reactions: AttackSound

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
A hounds STH with a few things to note-

1. Great series. Win or lose, on whichever end. This series was one of the best that I’ve watched in the last 10 years. You have a great team, and a great coach. From what I can tell, you have a majority of your players returning and I would be quite happy knowing Guzda is beyond the normal rate of development on both skill and experience because of this playoff run. He will be a good goalie for you.

2. A great team, a great coach but I will make the obvious comment. Your GM missed the boat on this one. It’s about mismanagement and that cannot fall (and should not fall) on anyone else’s shoulders. A serious oversight on his part has put the burden on an otherwise productive coach and team. That is not a burden they should wear and ownership/board of directors should be asking your GM and his immediate management staff some hard questions that may lead to an early end for him. Then again, I’m sure you can say his specific action, or lack thereof, has lead your team to an early end. So, what’s good for the goose.....

3. A quick kudos to #11 - Daylon Groulx. My wife and myself were just arriving to our seats at the end of pre-game warm-ups. A group of young boys were congregating at the glass in the bottom of our section. Not only did he come over and acknowledge their presence during a time where, I’m sure he was trying to maintain focus and his preparation, he proceeded to toss a puck or two over the glass.
- to all that may not remember what it was like to be unbiased and see every player, regardless of team, as a star of the game because of sheer love for the sport. This was a moment those young boys, one in particular, will not soon forget.

4. Typically, I will not speak on behalf of anyone, except for my dog. This time, for fear of continuing the disappointment I felt, I will speak on behalf of any Greyhound fan that wishes to stand behind me.
- My apologies for the lack of candor and general show of disrespect when #18 Markus Phillips went down. I have coached for many years at the 16-18 year age group and my wife and I have a 22 and 19 year old of our own. I will say with complete assurance, these are children. Even at 22, my daughter is still very much a child. I get the very small, OHL world, expects more from these players, but they are children. The call to suspend our player for slewfooting was not his doing. I don’t have to like it and because of this, I won’t even begin to debate it’s merit. However, to chastise a player in a way that the fan base did last night, it was appalling and I will say, something we should be a shamed of. This series has brought out the best success for us by bringing out the worst in us. I hope that I have seen the nervousness your team has caused our fan base to be fully expunged with last nights win.

Just a few things I wanted to point out. Have a good summer, if we ever get one.

See you in the fall.

Last edited:

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Nothing but praise and respect from myself and the fans that I know sitting around me for the Attack! Great team and great fans alike.

Kudos to you all and best of luck next year. Thank you for teaching this Hounds team how to ramp up your intensity level, something I hope won’t be lost on them.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This series has provided a couple of positives going forward:

1. Your coaching staff is among the top in the league, and got the most that your players were able to deliver. They worked with them through a high level of adversity during the season, and got the team within a single game of advancing to the Conference final game.

2. The goaltending issue is well on it's way to being solved. Your rookie backup has gotten the most from his playoff exposure, and looked quite solid against the CHL's top ranked team, when given the opportunity. I suspect that he will only improve to the point of claiming the #1 starter's job beyond this season.

3. In spite of the inevitable graduating players, your team still has a very solid core to build around. If the draft picks yield a few players who'll make the roster, they'll have that experienced core to help them toward continuing the team's " never, ever quit" personality that they've established so strongly.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You can debate the goalie issue as you wish but looking to the future OS will have a top notch goalie for the next few years in Guzda. He may very well develop into the top goalie in the league in a couple of years.

Fun series to watch - OS exposed some flaws in the Soo line up. Kitchener you are on the clock now. Make the Soo work for the right to represent the "O", the pressure in on to follow OS's lead.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
A hounds STH with a few things to note-

1. Great series. Win or lose, on whichever end. This series was one of the best that I’ve watched in the last 10 years. You have a great team, and a great coach. From what I can tell, you have a majority of your players returning and I would be quite happy knowing Guzda is beyond the normal rate of development on both skill and experience because of this playoff run. He will be a good goalie for you.

2. A great team, a great coach but I will make the obvious comment. Your GM missed the boat on this one. It’s about mismanagement and that cannot fall (and should not fall) on anyone else’s shoulders. A serious oversight on his part has put the burden on an otherwise productive coach and team. That is not a burden they should wear and ownership/board of directors should be asking your GM and his immediate management staff some hard questions that may lead to an early end for him. Then again, I’m sure you can say his specific action, or lack thereof, has lead your team to an early end. So, what’s good for the goose.....

3. A quick kudos to #11 - Daylon Groulx. My wife and myself were just arriving to our seats at the end of pre-game warm-ups. A group of young boys were congregating at the glass in the bottom of our section. Not only did he come over and acknowledge their presence during a time where, I’m sure he was trying to maintain focus and his preparation, he proceeded to toss a puck or two over the glass.
- to all that may not remember what it was like to be unbiased and see every player, regardless of team, as a star of the game because of sheer love for the sport. This was a moment those young boys, one in particular, will not soon forget.

4. Typically, I will not speak on behalf of anyone, except for my dog. This time, for fear of continuing the disappointment I felt, I will speak on behalf of any Greyhound fan that wishes to stand behind me.
- My apologies for the lack of candor and general show of disrespect when #18 Markus Phillips went down. I have coached for many years at the 16-18 year age group and my wife and I have a 22 and 19 year old of our own. I will say with complete assurance, these are children. Even at 22, my daughter is still very much a child. I get the very small, OHL world, expects more from these players, but they are children. The call to suspend our player for slewfooting was not his doing. I don’t have to like it and because of this, I won’t even begin to debate it’s merit. However, to chastise a player in a way that the fan base did last night, it was appalling and I will say, something we should be a shamed of. This series has brought out the best success for us by bringing out the worst in us. I hope that I have seen the nervousness your team has caused our fan base to be fully expunged with last nights win.

Just a few things I wanted to point out. Have a good summer, if we ever get one.

See you in the fall.

Thank you for your kind words it helps take the sting out of the loss.
I believe Daylon Groulx has a strong connection to the Soo some years ago his Dad played there, and was the leagues leading scorer.
He's a fun kid to watch, as a rookie he developed nicely .Plays over the edge at times, but I think he will smooth that out with age.

I was pleasantly surprised with the job Todd Gill and staff did, once theY got familiar with their new charges.

And let's tip the cap to Drew Bannister, who was 2 weeks away from being the Attack head coach. He is well respected in this town . If the Attack had to lose to anyone, glad it's Drews team .

See you in a few short months

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Relagated to the off season status, now it sinks in.
30712759_10156368607448464_8064975900644474880_n.jpg

As for Guzda he was given a free pass all year simply because of his age and time will tell what kind of player he will become, but if I was the GM I would try to pick up a seasoned starter so you are not in the same situation you had this year.

Last edited:

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Heck of a series but my big question is why no timeout after the second goal if not the third goal! Coulda been a game changer Good luck Sault from here on! Dont take anyone lightly although after this I feel you should be better in the long run. I really felt this Attack team had a chance ever since they flipped the switch after the northern road trip some 30-40 games ago. They have been lights out until they ran into the sault and even scared them I think. I dont care what people say about the McKenzie trade but I loved it from day 1 even suggested him before the deal ever happend. It worked great for Struthers also but man what a playoff warrior McKenzie was!

Reactions: zman77

TO Attack Fan

Mar 4, 2018
Hats off to the Attack for sweeping the Knights in four games, pushing the top-ranked Greyhounds to seven games, and playing an entertaining season of hockey for us fans. Already looking forward to September and the 2018-2019 season!!

Reactions: Attack Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad