Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

platers fan

Nov 12, 2017
Owen Sound fans should not buy into this narrative of “middle seed team giving the #1 team all they could handle and just falling short in game 7”. It’s BS! This Attack team was supposed to BE that #1 team.

Dale DeGray had a job this year that was more important than anything else; get a good ****ing goaltender. That was it!! He failed spectacularly at this. Olivier Lafrenniere ought to have not been on any contending OHL team’s roster for the playoffs let alone a damn starter.

This game 7 has played out as a microcosm of the season. The Attack work hard, get a lead then a deflating goal against happens shortly thereafter followed by a slew of others. By the end of the game, the Attack, yet again, out shoot their opponent but lose handily because the goaltending is sporting an .800 save %.

Outside of the goaltending, this Attack roster was Championship caliber. The players knew it. They deserved much, much better from the GM. I’m quite proud of the guys for taking the Hounds to 7 amid the goaltending circus, but make no mistake, this was NOT a successful season.

Yet with sub par goaltending they still took the number one team in Canada to game 7.........
I’d still call that a success

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Buzzer sounds to end the 3rd, and the Hounds players on the ice just stand there. It looked like they can't believe they won.

platers fan

Nov 12, 2017
Congrats on the great season boys. You should all be proud of yourselves.

Never would have thought they could come back that strong. Great third period.

Reactions: zman77

Gohoundsgo

Oct 28, 2017
Hell of a series. Full credit to Owen Sound. Even down 8-4 they never once gave up... but they did come close to giving me a heart attack!

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
And imagine if they actually had decent goaltending.....which was the point I was making

At this point hindsight is 2020.

But I mean since were discussing it. Decent goaltending likely has them up there near the 2-3 range. This team on paper to me was no worse then Kitchener or Sarnia.

Likely don't play Soo in the 2nd round.

but at the end of the day that didn't happen.

Made it interesting but Soo is heading on and we are heading home.

Ill be the first to say that I am pleased with the turn around. Would have loved not to see this team go through that funk during the dog days in Nov and Dec but hey they fought through it.

Szypula and Friend are two guys that i've been hard on before but they really where the back bone for this team and will be missed moving forward. I can finally live with the price we paid for McKenzie. Rough back half of the season but in the playofss he showed his worth. Too bad we couldn't get that production last year out of Cordell lol.

Anyways ill wait a few days to post my full season thoughts. Might add some grades as well.

Reactions: zman77

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
He might be, goaltending:facepalm: was an issue before the season began and became more obvious from the 1st period of the 1st game to this the last game of the season.

The GM failed miserably!:golfnana:

This was a championship calibre team and it was evident from day 1 what it needed. It only got worse as the season went on. To not address that is a fireable offense. He just wasted a shot at an OHL title

Reactions: OHLhockeywatcher

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
What a series. I dont think the Soo players realized what they were in for. Seems like game after game they underestimate the caliber of the Attack. Shows how strong the west is... Owen Sound likely could have won the east or if placed higher met us in round 3. Nothing but respect for that team, and fan base. Great series guys and hopefully our Hounds learn some consistency and defense for round 3.

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Suzuki's playoff #'s = very underwhelming.:golfnana:

Playoffs

SeasonTeamGPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGGWGFOWFOAPTS/G
2018 PlayoffsOS113912-4220430631331.09
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Hell of a series I was rooting for yas underdog that wasn’t very well matched series. Can’t wait to see Gadjovich in a canucks jersey!

Reactions: Attack Fan

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
At this point hindsight is 2020.

This has been obvious since Day 1, though. It's too bad London didn't go full heel and trade Raaymakers to OS after Raftis refused to--that would have been an all-time great Hunter move. (I bet Marty Williamson would have done it!)

I think DeGray is a good GM, but that was an all-time blunder, absolutely. When your team allows a league-low number of shots but has the league's second-worst save percentage, you may have a goaltending problem. Fireable offense? Well, that depends on whether you think you can get someone better, I guess.

Reactions: SebJHockey

OHLhockeywatcher

Apr 17, 2018
Owen Sound fans should not buy into this false narrative of “middle seed team giving the #1 team all they could handle and just falling short in game 7”. It’s BS! This Attack team was supposed to BE that #1 team.

Dale DeGray had a job this year that was more important than anything else; get a good ****ing goaltender. That was it!! He failed spectacularly at this. Olivier Lafrenniere ought to have not been on any contending OHL team’s roster for the playoffs let alone a damn starter.

This game 7 has played out as a microcosm of the season. The Attack work hard, get a lead then a deflating goal against happens shortly thereafter followed by a slew of others. By the end of the game, the Attack, yet again, out shoot their opponent but lose handily because the goaltending is sporting an .800 save %.

Outside of the goaltending, this Attack roster was Championship caliber. The players knew it. They deserved much, much better from the GM. I’m quite proud of the guys for taking the Hounds to 7 amid the goaltending circus, but make no mistake, this was NOT a successful season.

This ^^

OHLhockeywatcher

Apr 17, 2018
This was a championship calibre team and it was evident from day 1 what it needed. It only got worse as the season went on. To not address that is a fireable offense. He just wasted a shot at an OHL title

This is a vary frustrating day for Attack fans. Should have been a mem cup year. Very frustrated with DD

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
This has been obvious since Day 1, though. It's too bad London didn't go full heel and trade Raaymakers to OS after Raftis refused to--that would have been an all-time great Hunter move. (I bet Marty Williamson would have done it!)

I think DeGray is a good GM, but that was an all-time blunder, absolutely. When your team allows a league-low number of shots but has the league's second-worst save percentage, you may have a goaltending problem. Fireable offense? Well, that depends on whether you think you can get someone better, I guess.
Hats off to the Attack for a great series. They were relentless.
Kyle Raftis was wise in his handling of Raymakers request for a trade. Moving him to London was a good move.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team just ran out of gas in this one good for them to make it respectful on the scoreboard in this one but hat's off to the Soo they capitalized on the chances and limited ours.

Now we prepare for 2018/19 season

Reactions: SebJHockey

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Tough year to have to pick up a goalie. There is a reason goalie rules are being changed with not counting them as OAs and allowing imports again. Raaymakers was the guy they needed to pick up. Helvig never became available . Culina has been good but that's hindsight. His price would have been a lot more if consensus was he would turn out as he did. Was it a fireable offense not to pick up a goalie? I doubt it. If it is, I would think DD's phone will ring off the hook. Be careful what you wish for - there's a lot of bad GMs out there.

All in all 2 very good seasons back to back all things considered. Congrats.

Reactions: AttackSound
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad