Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Few things....

I would rather have Propp. He seams like a good young up and comer. Heard raves from barrie fans.

On the other hand I am excited about Brady Lyle. He's a good young defencemen.

On my left foot though it scares me. Does this trade signal that Bourque might be out super long term?

If not then you can bet a corresponding move will come soon

Phillips
Friend
Durzi
Lyle
Bourque
Cameron
King
Bemish
Chibrikov

That's 9 active D on this team.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Well Ironically a few days ago I mentioned the possibility of getting Lyle and it came true.. I would have to believe theres more moves coming likely sooner then later with the clogged up blue line and the major questions in goal. I would think flipping some young d or a d and young forward for some picks or a goalie would be on its way

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Few things....

I would rather have Propp. He seams like a good young up and comer. Heard raves from barrie fans.

On the other hand I am excited about Brady Lyle. He's a good young defencemen.

On my left foot though it scares me. Does this trade signal that Bourque might be out super long term?

If not then you can bet a corresponding move will come soon

Phillips
Friend
Durzi
Lyle
Bourque
Cameron
King
Bemish
Chibrikov

That's 9 active D on this team.

Would have to think a d-man would be moved and would have to think the likelihood would Cameron might be on the way out.

King I can't see being moved and Chibrikov will be the guy for the future on the back-end with Beamish.

Cameron is a decent blue liner but has seemed to be a lost sole in the Attack's back-end this year with depth and now adding Brady Lyle from the Battalion who's a year younger would think another deal to move Cameron who's young depth blue-liner to free up the rotational back-end would be a likelihood.

Would have to think Cameron would be the odd man out now since Lyle is a late birth-year and a 99 birth-year and Cameron is a 98 also.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Well looks like Bowman for the start again.. lets hope the boys play some D and he decideds to show up tonight

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
So it's Brady Lyle for a 2nd, 5th and 10th Rd picks. When all is said and done.

Something is wrong with the defensive play on this team. They've allowed almost 4.5 goal a game so far. That won't win you a playoff series.

The ' starter' has numbers about identical to the rookie.
One guy in his fifth year, the other in his fifth week .

Except for Centorame, it's the same core of 7 dmen as last year.

Did McNiven cover up for miscues all last year, and make them look good?

Or has the Gill led Attack lost its way ?

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
So it's Brady Lyle for a 2nd, 5th and 10th Rd picks. When all is said and done.

Something is wrong with the defensive play on this team. They've allowed almost 4.5 goal a game so far. That won't win you a playoff series.

The ' starter' has numbers about identical to the rookie.
One guy in his fifth year, the other in his fifth week .

Except for Centorame, it's the same core of 7 dmen as last year.

Did McNiven cover up for miscues all last year, and make them look good?

Or has the Gill led Attack lost its way ?

Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

If you ask me, I think it's the bolded!

Bowman is clearly not the answer. I also thought it was quite stupid to start him today. He has done nothing to better this team and as an O/A in this league with less then impressive numbers, you don't owe him anything so why not play your back up? I mentioned it after Guzda's win that he should be able to ride out until he has a bad game, then put bowman back in and just rotate. You win and your in situation. If this is the goalies we are going to have at least until the trade deadline, let them fight this out. Bowman hasn't earned the cage. He wasn't even terrible today VS Erie but 2 of those goals he should have had.

Defence wise, I don't think it's taken a step back. I think the break outs that they run clearly don't work.. They aren't making in game adjustments which is something McGill was great at. Durzi now that he is clearly a good puck mover is carrying way too much and forgetting that hes got to come back and play defence. Friend seams to have regressed. He'll have 1 good game, 2 bad ones.

I'll never understand why Cameron continues to play over guys like Nick King. Who is just as good, younger and a much better skater. Hell I'd rather have Chib in over Cameron but I feel like sometime in the coming days we are going to see Chib re-assigned. Also not sure if it was just me but Cameron played a ton of minutes tonight in Erie. Think he might be getting shopped.

This was not a good showing on the Attack, early in the season or not. I give credit to Erie. They swept the weekend and honestly deserved it more. But considering where OS is and where Erie is Roster wise, leaving Erie with out a single point is not a good look.

People will always use the it's still early but these points are going to be valuable when Suzuki, Gadjovich, Sushko, are all gone for a month.

I hope they tighten up soon. And hopefully we see Guzda start a game next week. Also would like to hear some news on Bourque.

Sorry for the rant fellow posters.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

If you ask me, I think it's the bolded!

Bowman is clearly not the answer. I also thought it was quite stupid to start him today. He has done nothing to better this team and as an O/A in this league with less then impressive numbers, you don't owe him anything so why not play your back up? I mentioned it after Guzda's win that he should be able to ride out until he has a bad game, then put bowman back in and just rotate. You win and your in situation. If this is the goalies we are going to have at least until the trade deadline, let them fight this out. Bowman hasn't earned the cage. He wasn't even terrible today VS Erie but 2 of those goals he should have had.

Defence wise, I don't think it's taken a step back. I think the break outs that they run clearly don't work.. They aren't making in game adjustments which is something McGill was great at. Durzi now that he is clearly a good puck mover is carrying way too much and forgetting that hes got to come back and play defence. Friend seams to have regressed. He'll have 1 good game, 2 bad ones.

I'll never understand why Cameron continues to play over guys like Nick King. Who is just as good, younger and a much better skater. Hell I'd rather have Chib in over Cameron but I feel like sometime in the coming days we are going to see Chib re-assigned. Also not sure if it was just me but Cameron played a ton of minutes tonight in Erie. Think he might be getting shopped.

This was not a good showing on the Attack, early in the season or not. I give credit to Erie. They swept the weekend and honestly deserved it more. But considering where OS is and where Erie is Roster wise, leaving Erie with out a single point is not a good look.

People will always use the it's still early but these points are going to be valuable when Suzuki, Gadjovich, Sushko, are all gone for a month.

I hope they tighten up soon. And hopefully we see Guzda start a game next week. Also would like to hear some news on Bourque.

Sorry for the rant fellow posters.
Is the Lyle pick up a response to Bourques injury?

You get spoiled watching the country's best junior coach and top goaltender night in, night out.

Now we are just ordinary in those regards, it is a big shock to the system .

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Is the Lyle pick up a response to Bourques injury?

You get spoiled watching the country's best junior coach and top goaltender night in, night out.

Now we are just ordinary in those regards, it is a big shock to the system .

That's one of my worries with this deal, because at the end of the day we could use any type of goalie help before a defencemen.

Propp being brought in made sense.

Him being shipped for Lyle is a bit of a question mark.

Blue line gets better, We are likely going to get 2.5 years out of Brady Lyle. He could fill the hole that C left.

But was he brought in because 17 is going to be out long term is the question I have been asking all day.

We'll see I guess. And you're right we did get spoiled last year. I still think this is going to be the team to beat with a few moves.

Reactions: Millpond

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack pick up Lyle giving the team 9 men to patrol the blueline with Bourque sidelined for the potential long term.

The Attack seem to have logical issue in this past doubleheader weekend appeared to address that on the defensive side of the puck against the Otters.

Bowman is as good as he's gonna get and unfortunately he's a career backup in this league.

The team is missing Michael unfortunately this year and it's starting to show in the results when the team needs a tender to shut the door on a consistent basis there not getting it from Zach unfortunately and this team can't pin all its tending hopes on Guzda as a rookie in the league when the team can score at will but the team needs to come back a support the defense a bit more in the next game.

Hopefully Brady Lyle can help bring some steady support to the Attack blueline

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Based on the highlights Erie beat our D last night not our Goalie. Trade wise I like this move. Propp wasn't the answer any more than Bowman was at this point. Maybe platooning Propp and Bowman would have worked, see if you could get a guy hot, create competition, maybe that is still an option depending on what goalies are available. But I am not upset we flipped Propp.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Helvig from Kingston in my opinion is one of the only other options with out getting depietro. Part of me wonders how much Degray is trying to hold out incase that sleight chance Mcniven comes back.. which leaves him with less adjustments needed and the team more tweakable.. problem is if they sell the farm on a goalie now and Mcniven comes back that leaves them in a bit of an interesting spot.. if they hold on with what they have while making some more minor adjustments along the way and miraculously get back Mcniven the whole scenario changes

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Based on the highlights Erie beat our D last night not our Goalie. Trade wise I like this move. Propp wasn't the answer any more than Bowman was at this point. Maybe platooning Propp and Bowman would have worked, see if you could get a guy hot, create competition, maybe that is still an option depending on what goalies are available. But I am not upset we flipped Propp.

Also ,there is no one pushing Bowman ,like there has been in the past. He knows one way or another he's getting in 50 or more games this year. A lot IMO for a guy who's never had more than 30 in any of his past four years.

Even MM had older guys pushing him and he was sat at times.

I'd have liked to see Guzda start Sunday, and see how he has progressed.

Yes the defensive side of the game seems to have taken a big dump. Not sure if it is guys trying to play a hybrid of McGill and Gill systems or what the issue is.

Lyle move is a good one, for now and into the future.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Not a good weekend... Did like the Lyle pickup though. Wasn't super expensive. Would like to put those losses behind us and focus on this weeks 3 in 3

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I think this deal will solidify the blueline moving forward.

Phillips 99 Durzi 98
Friend 97 Lyle 99
Bourque 98 Cameron 98

Chibrikov 01 Beamish 00

King 99 - likely to be moved

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
I was asking in the Windsor thread what it would take to acquire dipietro and this was the reply I received hockey legend. And I quote "More then likely 5-2nds,2-3 3rds,Dudas and a prospect.
Keep in mind a team that would acquire Dipietro could recoup much of those assets next season,very rarely seen,main reason for high price.". So I don't see DD giving up that much and still having to admit he made an error with bowman

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
good call lol
Official King moved to Battalion for Conditional 15th round in 2018 bringing the blueline down to 8 d-men unfortunately Nick was the odd man out on the blue-line since bringing Brady Lyle to the club.

The team now has reset back to 8 defensemen by my count

(Not in defensive Pairings Order Just Listed)

Friend - Phillips

Cameron - Durzi

Lyle - Chibrikov

Bourque - Beamish

Best of luck Nick up in the northern gateway with the Battalion hopefully he gets a better shot at getting the ice time

Last edited:

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Wow, good guess on the above move!! Good luck to King in North Bay!
Also; Attackfan71, You should reply back that "NO ONE" is worth that return on a player trade! This has gotten a little out of whack here with what some of these teams are asking for their players. I'm thinking DD will not be "selling the farm" to obtain Dipietro. There has to be a fit out there for a goaltender that will require a much less ransom. (fingers still crossed) McNiven can come back for free!!!
A tough weekend on the road is now behind the Attack but watching the play of the young guys recently is really getting quite enjoyable! Solid efforts from Groulx (great goal), Moro (great pass), Doherty, Chibrikov, Beamish and Guzda. Maybe Guzda will get a few more starts as the team will be searching for answers between the pipes.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Battalion fan here, not expecting much of a report but what's the word on king? Reliable bottom pair or a liability?

Lyle will do well, arguably battal second best d behind dineen only, wasn't getting the ice time he thought he deserved(should have been given more an opportunity). Great skater and good puck mover, susceptible to the odd gaff defensively.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Battalion fan here, not expecting much of a report but what's the word on king? Reliable bottom pair or a liability?

Lyle will do well, arguably battal second best d behind dineen only, wasn't getting the ice time he thought he deserved(should have been given more an opportunity). Great skater and good puck mover, susceptible to the odd gaff defensively.

King is a solid blue-liner on any team in the league unfortunately the Attack had 9 men on the blue-line when adding Brady Lyle in a recent deal with the Troops.

Best of luck to Nick in up in North Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad