Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Whats your guy's opinion on looking at Jordan Sambrook from Erie? Would he be a better acquisition over Lyle, and would the prices for each be much different?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'd be open to it Cost Pending.

He's easily an upgrade on Cameron.

I would be comfortable running with a top 4 of

Durzi
Friend
Phillips
Brady Lyle

With Bourque/Cameron/King (Rather have King) as the 5-6.

That defence is just as deep and good as anyones in the league.

I'd imagine North Bay would want skaters in return considering at least in my opinion Lyle isn't the only skater who wants out of NB.

Wonder if something like
Beamish/ and or Groulx and a pick or two would get that done.

With the play of Doherty lately and the fact that Russell needs ice time, I'd hate to see a guy like Groulx get moved but him and Moro are the spares up front.

Just all a thought though.

Lyle is a bit of an interesting option his numbers aren't great although the Battalion haven't had great teams of late in the past few years.

However the down side is what Lyle could bring to the Attack if Dale did in fact pick him up his best numbers where last year when he had 25 points in 58 games an was a -14 on a struggling squad in North Bay.
Whats your guy's opinion on looking at Jordan Sambrook from Erie? Would he be a better acquisition over Lyle, and would the prices for each be much different?

You kind of answered your own question in the question both Lyle and Sambrook are pretty much even with each other stats wise the only real difference is 1 game difference between them as Lyle only has 2 points in 9 games Sambrook has 4 points in 10 games each tallying 2 goals the difference is assists where Sambrook has 2 Lyle doesn't.

I'd say Dale probably won't go in for either if at all on both those guys just cause of the fact that both clubs would want big pieces for the future and Dale although has picks into the future both guys wouldn't really bring much more to the Attack's roster that they already have now so I'd say Owen Sound will probably sit pat until a point where the team could need a piece for a run but for now the Attack are in good shape depth wise

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
I wouldn't trade Dudas either. We don't need a drastic upgrade on D. A bottom end top 4, or a really good 5/6. I think Bourque is a solid 4 but a great 5/6. Honestly the D lapses haven't been that bad. But it will take another game against a team like Sarnia to know where the D stand in relation to a speedy attack. I wouldn't sell much to upgrade the D at this point. I just don't think we have enough games played yet to completely know the holes. Goaltending is weak but can the D and the O overcome that.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Thanks for your feedback

I too agree our D doesn't need much upgrade, we could use Lyle but many teams could and I see us being outbid easily, and we should use those assets elsewhere. I think we should wait, say 10 more games with the team we have and after about 20 games we can look into improving where need be. I do think getting another solid d-man would be beneficial, depth is important especially in the playoffs should one of our top guys go down. Goaltending should be re-evaluated in those 10 games as well, but I don't think its a huge issue some people are saying. While our offense is great, I wouldn't hate if we looked into a good middle six center, someone like Cordell James from last year.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I wouldn't trade Dudas either. We don't need a drastic upgrade on D. A bottom end top 4, or a really good 5/6. I think Bourque is a solid 4 but a great 5/6. Honestly the D lapses haven't been that bad. But it will take another game against a team like Sarnia to know where the D stand in relation to a speedy attack. I wouldn't sell much to upgrade the D at this point. I just don't think we have enough games played yet to completely know the holes. Goaltending is weak but can the D and the O overcome that.

Unfortunately Dale doesn't have enough assets in the up and coming draft to bring a depth D man in right now I'd think a shuffling of future picks is more key right now so that when Suzuki and Phillips are gone that will have the picks and youthful players to build from missing 2nds and 3rds in the up and coming draft is a bit more concerning cause that's what should turn into the bulk of depth in the roster.

Dale more needs to shuffle picks around for the next two drafts then picking up a D-Man

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack are ahead of last year at this time.
That team never clicked until the end of November.

I'm not a fan of making trades just for the sake if moving players.

The team has a winning record, I'm ok eith watching these kids develop.

Sometimes the best deal you make is to stand pat.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Something to look at so far this season - how have the Attack replaced 5 IMPACT players from last years team; Palmu 40g + 58a / James 21g + 11a / Schmalz 16g + 15a / Centorame 7g + 66a / McNiven 41w - .915 spt.

I know there is always the hope of replacing graduating players with existing players that are developing within the system, but with losing 5 IMPACT players from last seasons roster, it is looking like there needs to be some additions to this years team to replace a big chunk of the production of these missing pieces.
Yes, the team is hoping for breakout seasons with the likes of Struthers, Dudas, Sushko, Durzi along with the additions of Lyszczarczyk and Bowman - but is it going to be enough to bring this team to where they were last season let alone put them a step or two higher knowing it will take even more than last years successes to "win it all"?
To look ahead to next year for a moment, now that Gadgovich has signed with the Canucks he will be lost to either the BIG club or the AHL, Suzuki will certainly be given every opportunity to make the Golden Knights starting roster next season after what will be a special year for him this season point wise and Friends muscle and toughness will be lost to age graduation.
In saying all of this I think this may just be the year to "go for it" for the OS Attack. Are there targets out there that DD should be trying to bring into the fold here (Day-Sambrook-Brown-Luchuk-DiPietro-Helvig) or does he sit back and watch things unfold within the league until the trade deadline? Any thoughts?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Something to look at so far this season - how have the Attack replaced 5 IMPACT players from last years team; Palmu 40g + 58a / James 21g + 11a / Schmalz 16g + 15a / Centorame 7g + 66a / McNiven 41w - .915 spt.

I know there is always the hope of replacing graduating players with existing players that are developing within the system, but with losing 5 IMPACT players from last seasons roster, it is looking like there needs to be some additions to this years team to replace a big chunk of the production of these missing pieces.
Yes, the team is hoping for breakout seasons with the likes of Struthers, Dudas, Sushko, Durzi along with the additions of Lyszczarczyk and Bowman - but is it going to be enough to bring this team to where they were last season let alone put them a step or two higher knowing it will take even more than last years successes to "win it all"?
To look ahead to next year for a moment, now that Gadgovich has signed with the Canucks he will be lost to either the BIG club or the AHL, Suzuki will certainly be given every opportunity to make the Golden Knights starting roster next season after what will be a special year for him this season point wise and Friends muscle and toughness will be lost to age graduation.
In saying all of this I think this may just be the year to "go for it" for the OS Attack. Are there targets out there that DD should be trying to bring into the fold here (Day-Sambrook-Brown-Luchuk-DiPietro-Helvig) or does he sit back and watch things unfold within the league until the trade deadline? Any thoughts?
I'm not so sure it will take more this year than last year - No "Super" teams out there this year, lots of good teams and I think OS does not need a lot to stay ahead of the pack this year.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

The Attack need to get better goaltending, and reduce ga and penalties.

They've currently got 8 players scoring over a point a game.
Last year they had 5.
A contender needs 6.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
What are ppls thoughts on Cam Dineen of the troops? North Bay is a bottom team in the east. He wouldn't cost as much as a Sambrook or Hague (if the Steelheads don't get Tippett back they may sell).

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Dineen would cost more than Sambrook and probably not much less than Hague. I think Russell would have to be included.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I'm not so sure it will take more this year than last year - No "Super" teams out there this year, lots of good teams and I think OS does not need a lot to stay ahead of the pack this year.
no offense but there was no super team last year before trades
there was no super team in 2015 until erie, ssm, oshawa loaded up with major moves
guelph did the same in 2014
london made really no moves in 2016 but they basically had 3 nhl players on one line and a top level goalie to do the rest - nobody has that this year and nobody ever will for a long time

you have to make moves to win it imo. Though london made small moves in 2016, it benefited them that Erie, who was probably the 2nd or 3rd best team that year, made no moves. and niagara didnt and sarnia didnt do enough as before moves they were only middle pack teams. but imagine if erie had the assets and added a top 4 defender, and 2 top 9 forwards? maybe things are different.

OS in my view didnt do enough last year by just adding James. He was good but not near that elite level pickup. Especially considering OS was young last year.

this year they have the experience but they cant expect to stand pat. One has to figure that Kitchener will make another splash or 2 considering they have already made "go for it" moves. Sarnia, with their record, probably is going to make some moves. Peterborough should make moves. One would think SSM will do something. Standing pat is never a good option. OS should improve the goalie situation or nothing else will matter anways. Probably could afford to add a top 6 forward and 5/6 defender as well. If they dont, and lets say SSM adds a 2/3 pieces and Sarnia does the same, then it will be a mistake.

everyone always says there are no super teams around this time of year. but trades will change everything.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I warned you guys Bowman probably wasn't going to be the answer. Murdaca might be (maybe) and could be relatively cheap. If Helvig becomes available the Attack would be rolling with him. It's still early and Sarnia is the only team I currently find as scary as Owen Sound.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Point taken.

The Attack need goaltending. It matters not if you score 12 goals but give up six.

Whether McNiven covered up for defensive mistakes last year, or some thing has changed, sooner or later they've got to reduce ga.
Last night made it plainly obvious .

DeGray needs to be on the phone shopping .

The Attack has the weakest goaltending in the Midwest . I believe they have a dominant group of skaters.

They've got to bring in a solid tender.

Reactions: OHL insideout

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Another concern for the Attack is that the top line cannot be a combined -9. It's great to see your top line score 2 or 3 power play goals in a game but when they are even strength out there they cannot be minus. Not to mention on defence #2 being a -4 and #5 being a -4 last night. I'll mention this again, where is the second line production? Hopefully they can rebound today with a much better effort!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Attack receive G Christian Propp from Barrie Colts for 2nd, 5th and 7th Rd picks

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
What do we know about Propp other than what we see on the OHL website? I'm assuming Guzda gets sent down to play full time minutes in tier II

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Attack receive G Christian Propp from Barrie Colts for 2nd, 5th and 7th Rd picks

Very interesting move. Propp is a good up and comer but is he gunna be the guy OS trusts to take them on a deep playoff run? Can’t see OS paying that much if their plan is for Propp to be the backup

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
What do we know about Propp other than what we see on the OHL website? I'm assuming Guzda gets sent down to play full time minutes in tier II

Attack pick up Propp from the Colts should be a big improvement over Bowman.

Zach was given a good chance to be a starter but certainly failed to live up to expectations and take the reigns as a starter.

Hopefully Propp can step in and fill the inconsistencies that Bowman seemed to have in his game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad