Ovechkin/Semin or Crosby/Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Crosby vs. Ovechkin is too close to call.(Personally I prefer Ovechkin's all around game.)
Malkin>>Semin to me so that tips the scale.

Crosby and Malkin for me.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
slats432 said:
Crosby vs. Ovechkin is too close to call.(Personally I prefer Ovechkin's all around game.)
Malkin>>Semin to me so that tips the scale.

Crosby and Malkin for me.

Malkin may have more upside but he has yet to show it against NHL quality players. Though you may disagree with the "kids" terminology, it is clear Semin has shown the capacity to play and not be out of place with Top line NHL talent. Until Malkin surpasses that Semin>Malkin. It's AO and Semin for me. I'm not saying potential is not there. We just don't know if his play translates as well as AO & Semin. It's quite a reach in my mind.

Claypool_*

borro said:
Until Malkin surpasses that Semin>Malkin.

Has Semin played in the World Championships? Is he going to play in the Olympics?

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Malkin and Crosby

AO=Crosby (so close right now, its a wash)
Malkin>>Semin

Malkin is putting up better numbers than AO did at the same age in the RSL (not saying who is better out of the two, just the stats behind it). No evidence to suggest that Malkin will not continue to improve.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Claypool said:
Has Semin played in the World Championships? Is he going to play in the Olympics?

I think proving a point by asking a question is a little too complex for the creator of this thread. :shakehead

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
This seems like a pretty pathetic attempt to pimp Semin.

I think AO would be the first to tell you that he would rather have Malkin as his linemate.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Malkin and Crosby by an enormouse margin.

We can claim that highly touted prospects have to prove their worth, and people always bring up Daigle... but in honesty they usually do live up to expectations.

From the previouse 5 years - these are the top two picks.

Sidney Crosby
Bobby Ryan
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeny Malkin
Marc-Andre Fleury
Eric Staal
Rick Nash
Kari Lehtonen
Ilya Kovalchuk
Jason Spezza

Malkin is a strong number two choice, and I can't think of why he would be any worse that most of the players listed here... and all the players here >> Semin

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
I'd love to build a team around Crosby and Malkin as 1-2 centers.
Crosby and Malkin rather easily for me, and I prefer Ovechkin over Crosby.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Looking at how some guys, like say Zherdev have turned out, it is a VERY reasonable thing to point out that performance may not be what some fans exxagerate it to be, and his performance may degrade some against better talent. It is practically a given. It's amazing that people cannot even QUESTION Malkin without fans acting like their apple cart has been turned over. I'll stick with AO & Semin. If you had to have a shootout goal, AO & Semin would be picked before Crosby and Malkin. If you needed a big hit, Crosby's name would never come up. If you needed someone to backcheck, Crosby's name would never come up. AO's game is clearly more complete.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Ovechkin=Crosby [pick your fruit..apples or oranges]
Malkin>Semin

Assuming both Malkin and/or Semin are over here next season then we can see if Semin could close the gap but hey malkin is a C and Semin is just a LW.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
oil slick said:
Malkin and Crosby by an enormouse margin.

We can claim that highly touted prospects have to prove their worth, and people always bring up Daigle... but in honesty they usually do live up to expectations.

From the previouse 5 years - these are the top two picks.

Sidney Crosby
Bobby Ryan
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeny Malkin
Marc-Andre Fleury
Eric Staal
Rick Nash
Kari Lehtonen
Ilya Kovalchuk
Jason Spezza

Malkin is a strong number two choice, and I can't think of why he would be any worse that most of the players listed here... and all the players here >> Semin

So your sole basis for saying Malkin is better is he was picked top2? Do the names Daigle and Wickenheiser mean anything to you? This is not rumour this is fact. They suck. So does the theory that somone is better solely because they were picked earlier.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
borro said:
Looking at how some guys, like say Zherdev have turned out, it is a VERY reasonable thing to point out that performance may not be what some fans exxagerate it to be, and his performance may degrade some against better talent. It is practically a given. It's amazing that people cannot even QUESTION Malkin without fans acting like their apple cart has been turned over. I'll stick with AO & Semin. If you had to have a shootout goal, AO & Semin would be picked before Crosby and Malkin. If you needed a big hit, Crosby's name would never come up. If you needed someone to backcheck, Crosby's name would never come up. AO's game is clearly more complete.
:clap: :propeller :clap:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Slitty said:
I think proving a point by asking a question is a little too complex for the creator of this thread. :shakehead

This has any meaning in a society that threatens players if they come to North America. Very simplistic evaluation. Semin has been called by some the best player there. This was not by Caps fans mind you. Semin easily makes any national team if he allowed to play.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
borro said:
I dont think AO and Crosby's style of play has much to do with it here, clearly the weakest player in thread is semin ... JV no more jokes http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/winky.gif.
You make it sound like Crosby is awful anyway, the way i see it is :
AO = Crosby (Similiar in upsides, id probably take AO at the moment, but its pretty close)
Malkin > Semin (Malkin has more upsides, sure he hasnt played in the nhl but id still take him over Semin quite easily).

Your also Forgetting Semin and his stance right now, there are issues there which alone may make someone take Malkin over Semin and thats not taking into aco**** how good Malkin is.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
borro said:
Malkin may have more upside but he has yet to show it against NHL quality players. Though you may disagree with the "kids" terminology, it is clear Semin has shown the capacity to play and not be out of place with Top line NHL talent. Until Malkin surpasses that Semin>Malkin. It's AO and Semin for me. I'm not saying potential is not there. We just don't know if his play translates as well as AO & Semin. It's quite a reach in my mind.

Semin hasn't proven himself in the NHL any more than someone like Tomas Surovy. Yeah, he showed some flashy moves and spurts of elite ability, but 22 points in 52 games hardly makes him an established player.

I'd definitely put my money on Malkin ending up the better player.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
pittengineer said:
Malkin and Crosby

AO=Crosby (so close right now, its a wash)
Malkin>>Semin

Malkin is putting up better numbers than AO did at the same age in the RSL (not saying who is better out of the two, just the stats behind it). No evidence to suggest that Malkin will not continue to improve.

No,
AO>Crosby
Semin=>Malkin

Malkin can close the gap by playing well against NHL'ers. He has not done so to date.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
borro said:
So your sole basis for saying Malkin is better is he was picked top2? Do the names Daigle and Wickenheiser mean anything to you? This is not rumour this is fact. They suck. So does the theory that somone is better solely because they were picked earlier.

I'm saying Malkin probably will be good. Sure you picked two players who bombed, and Malkin could bomb too... but probably not. He's played fantastically since being drafted, so if anything his stock has gone up.

If I could have either Malkin or Semin on the OIlers it wouldn't even be a consideration who I would take.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
tom_servo said:
Semin hasn't proven himself in the NHL any more than someone like Tomas Surovy. Yeah, he showed some flashy moves and spurts of elite ability, but 22 points in 52 games hardly makes him an established player.

I'd definitely put my money on Malkin ending up the better player.

And I would put any amount that Semin>>>>>Surovy. That is a useless attempt to pimp Surovy as an earlier poster claimed with Semin. Malkin could be better. it is by no means a given. The names Daigle and Wickenheiser mean ANYTHING to you?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
borro said:
If the goal of this thread was....

"Hey look at the two prospects on my team...aren't they better than the guys on the other team?" and you are going to tear into and argue with anyone who says Crosby/Malkin.....then I should just close the thread now. If you want other people's opinon, you should just read and not post. You aren't going to convince anyone that Semin and AO are better than Crosby Malkin if they don't already believe.

So cool your jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad