Ovechkin/Semin or Crosby/Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
borro said:
And I would put any amount that Semin>>>>>Surovy. That is a useless attempt to pimp Surovy as an earlier poster claimed with Semin. Malkin could be better. it is by no means a given. The names Daigle and Wickenheiser mean ANYTHING to you?

What's with this argument? Of course Malkin could turn into a bust, seeing as how Seming isn't even playing in the NHL, he might be a useless pick as well, but at this point, the upside of Malkin is considerably greater than whatever Semin has shown at the NHL level, and considering what Malkin has shown in the same league as Semin this year, there's no reason to believe any differently.

You really need to let this pathetic little vendetta against Malkin go.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
borro said:
No,
AO>Crosby
Semin=>Malkin

Malkin can close the gap by playing well against NHL'ers. He has not done so to date.
:confused: Malkin and Semin play in the same league right now the RSL !
Semin has 9pts in 16 games : http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00064573
Malkin 23 pts in 23 games : http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00077329
oh yeah .. also ! Malkin is 3 years younger!
and Semin has some issue with washington .. give me Malkin by FAAAAAR !

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
borro said:
No,
AO>Crosby
Semin=>Malkin

Malkin can close the gap by playing well against NHL'ers. He has not done so to date.
Well Semin has played 52 games, and got 22 points. He has hardly done anything spectacular, sure shown elite talent. Malkin if anything has done more. He has torn the RSL up, the second best league after the nhl and against many of whom could be nhl'ers. Malkin is outplaying semin right now isnt here?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Claypool said:
Has Semin played in the World Championships? Is he going to play in the Olympics?

Uh....yes. He scored 3 goals in 6 games......which by a strange coincidence is 3 more than Malkin scored in 9 games

not saying I take Semin over him.....but clearly you know little of Semin

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This really is fairly simple:

Most GM's would agree that Crosby and AO are fairly interchangable talent wise (Crosby brings more with ticket sales thus far, but move that aside for now). You may find one with a slight preference for one, another for a slight preference for the other, but overall it is close either way.

Name me a single person other than borro that would, if GM, trade Malkin straight up for Semin. Hell, the entire Caps staff would walk to Pittsburgh in a snow storm to make that deal. Does anyone really doubt this? It is almost the equivilent of a trade last year, when they were both still prospects, of Whitney for AO straight up. Don't get me wrong, Semin is a fine player, Whitney is too, but neither is seen in the same sphere of prospects as an AO or Malkin. Malkin this year is being talked of in at least spitting distance as a prospect as AO and Crosby were last year.

Russian journalist Sergei Balashov, for instance, who certainly knows both players:

Russian journalist Sergei Balashov, writing on the Russian Hockey Digest Web site, opined that Penguins prospect Evgeni Malkin "might be the best player [in the Russian Super League] and maybe the top young talent in the world right now." He added that Malkin "fully lives up to the expectations and even shows some progress" after a strong showing with Metallurg Magnitogorsk last season. ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05304/598043.stm

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
slats432 said:
If the goal of this thread was....

"Hey look at the two prospects on my team...aren't they better than the guys on the other team?" and you are going to tear into and argue with anyone who says Crosby/Malkin.....then I should just close the thread now. If you want other people's opinon, you should just read and not post. You aren't going to convince anyone that Semin and AO are better than Crosby Malkin if they don't already believe.

So cool your jets.

If offering evidence(fact that Daigle and Wickenheiser were top picks that did not fulfill potential) which counters the basic argument they give that top2 picks are the most talented simply proves they do not make a salient point. This is not "ripping" like some do to me with personal attacks. This is stating other possibilities.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
borro said:
If offering evidence(fact that Daigle and Wickenheiser were top picks that did not fulfill potential) which counters the basic argument they give that top2 picks are the most talented simply proves they do not make a salient point. This is not "ripping" like some do to me with personal attacks. This is stating other possibilities.

seriously...are you off your meds again? You make a comment in another thread about how Malkin has only played against boys when, hello....he has been playing in the RSL for 3 seasons and is tearing it up right now

Few like Semin as much as I do....but please stop this.....this is one of, if not the worst rant you have ever gone on

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
helicecopter said:
Malkin and Crosby in a heartbeat.

Agreed. While Ovechkin and Crosby are `about the same level(different specialties), I'd take Malkin over Semin.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
borro said:
And I would put any amount that Semin>>>>>Surovy. That is a useless attempt to pimp Surovy as an earlier poster claimed with Semin. Malkin could be better. it is by no means a given. The names Daigle and Wickenheiser mean ANYTHING to you?

If the only way Malkin can compare to Semin is by playing in the NHL, then why not save this thread until he's in the NHL?

And please, I'm not trying to pimp Surovy. I'm just trying to keep Semin's NHL production in perspective.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
tom_servo said:
If the only way Malkin can compare to Semin is by playing in the NHL, then why not save this thread until he's in the NHL?

And please, I'm not trying to pimp Surovy. I'm just trying to keep Semin's NHL production in perspective.

And I am not trying to pimp Semin. He has proven to be a better player than a #12 or #13 should be. Malkin may have the potential to outperform him. Players do not always live up to potential. Same thing applies to Semin. I'm not sure of his upside, but it is at least a #2 forward and maybe a #1 on some teams. Though most may pick Crosby/Malkin, I'll take my chances with Ovechkin/Semin.

In perspective, if Semin scored 100 points someone would say he hadn't proved anything.

Sammy*

borro said:
And I am not trying to pimp Semin. He has proven to be a better player than a #12 or #13 should be. Malkin may have the potential to outperform him. Players do not always live up to potential. Same thing applies to Semin. I'm not sure of his upside, but it is at least a #2 forward and maybe a #1 on some teams. Though most may pick Crosby/Malkin, I'll take my chances with Ovechkin/Semin.

In perspective, if Semin scored 100 points someone would say he hadn't proved anything.
Get it through yoour head there Bud. Semin has proven dick squat. He's played 52 games in the show & averaged less than 1/2 point a game. In any rationale persons head (not yours obviously), thats proving dick squat.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Mothra said:
Uh....yes. He scored 3 goals in 6 games......which by a strange coincidence is 3 more than Malkin scored in 9 games

not saying I take Semin over him.....but clearly you know little of Semin

You are not allowed to point out factual differences. Only rumours, opinions and potential. It is totally wrong to even hint someone might be overrated by an overanxious press or may have trouble with physical aspect of the game. It is also bad to indicate that there may be an adjustment period even when guys like Zherdev prove that it takes some talented guys longer and they don't reach the mecca they were supposed to reach.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Malkin is just so much better than Semin ! Saw another Metallurg game tonight. This kid is awesome just awesome !

Malkin/Crosby for me

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Right now,

i'd pick Crosby over Ovechkin on my team (and barring injuries... it wont change)
I'd also pick Malkin over Semin.

Crosby/Malkin > Ovechkin/Semin

Honestly for me, the choice is an easy one. To be honest, considering how exceptional young talent Ovechkin is, I'm amazed the choice was THAT easy... Pittsburgh got themselves an awesome duo there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad