Ovechkin/Semin or Crosby/Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Stop being such a homer Borro

Ovechkin and Crosby are pretty much even. With both players having different styles. Ovechkin the goal scorer and Crosby the playmaker.

Malkin walks all over Semin.

Semin is like Yashin, money hunger head case. The thing that makes me laugh is that I don't think you'll ever see Semin in a caps jersey again. :)

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
borro said:
So your sole basis for saying Malkin is better is he was picked top2? Do the names Daigle and Wickenheiser mean anything to you? This is not rumour this is fact. They suck. So does the theory that somone is better solely because they were picked earlier.

do the names lemieux, modano, sundin, lafleur, dionne, hawercuk, bellows, muller, turgeon, shanahan, linden, nolan, nedved, lindros, yashin, pronger, potvin, perrault, houle mean anything to you?

all top 2 picks that have gone on to have very succesful NHL careers. some, like lemieux, lafleur, dionne, perrault, potvin and hawerchuk, will go down as some of the best players to play the game.

just because he was picked early doesnt mean he cant/wont fullfil his potential. of course he may never even come to NA, and he may be a bust if he does, but any prospect could. just like any players career could end in one shift.

its all a risk, and the reward greatly outweighs the risk when it comes to top 2 picks in my books. i know im willing to risk having a HOF'er on my team.

malkin/crosby for me. and im a huge ovechkin fan.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Borro, am I to understand that you would've taken, say, Zherdev over Ovechkin prior to this season? Afterall, he is/was top-flight prospect and already proven in the NHL, while Ovechkin was playing against "boys" in the RSL.

X-SHARKIE

Crosby and Malkin easily, any day of the week, no question IMO.

Why some (you know who you are) Capital fans are so insecure with Ovechkin because of Crosby's prescence confuses me. He's an amazing player in his own right, absolutely electrifying and is the teams MVP already as a rookie, and looks to be a future hall of famer and is the best Russian born player i've seen at this age, it's obvious, so quit trying to convert the world into thinking he's the best one in the world though, just sit back and enjoy....seems to me the Penguins fans aren't goo goo ga ga over how others feal about there prized prospect Crosby.

Semin is a wack job on the other hand, it's been like that even before he was drafted. Capitals should've seen this coming.

Malkin is close to Ovechkin, not the scorer Ovechkin is or ever going to be as dominating physicaly and in terms of end to end ability, but will be dominating the NHL some day in his own right, and should be the rookie of the year next year, and a franchise #1 centerman.

The gap between Malkin and Ovechkin is just slightly greater then the gap between Crosby and Ovechkin, meaning all three are nearly interchangeable.

Ovechkin vs. Crosby, depends on who you ask and what style of player you want, but Semin vs. Malkin is such a land slide into Malkin's favor.....that it out weighs the Crosby vs. Ovechkin debate, where Pittsburgh wins easily.

And if you think Malkin is the next Daigle you're nuts.

Malkin is the real deal...as is Ovechkin and Sid.

Fleury ain't half bad either.

Master Shake*

borro said:
Malkin may have more upside but he has yet to show it against NHL quality players. Though you may disagree with the "kids" terminology, it is clear Semin has shown the capacity to play and not be out of place with Top line NHL talent. Until Malkin surpasses that Semin>Malkin. It's AO and Semin for me. I'm not saying potential is not there. We just don't know if his play translates as well as AO & Semin. It's quite a reach in my mind.

Malkin has played and is playing against many NHLers in the RSL. He has also been dominating while doing it. Ask Dave King what he thinks of Malkin.

Crosby is amazing. Ovechkin is amazing. Malkin might be better then both of them.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
i'm a die hard Caps fan. and i can't wait to have Ovechkin and Semin on the ice together.

but i think i would rather have Crosby and Malkin. Its very close but I think Malkin brings more to the table that Semin.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
I love how he said Crosby doesn't backcheck or use his body :biglaugh: ! Come on, quit reaching for things to rip him over and just appreciate the fact that these four kids are going to light it up (if Malkin and Semin ever come over). Seems like this thread wasn't a legit question rather than Borro trying pimp his pospects over the Penguins', unfortunately it backfired.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I think a fairer comparison would be:

Semin - Ovechkin - Fehr - Eminger - Green

vs

Crosby - Malkin - Stone - Welch - Whitney

But Pittsburgh still wins easily imo.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
borro said:
Malkin may have more upside but he has yet to show it against NHL quality players. Though you may disagree with the "kids" terminology, it is clear Semin has shown the capacity to play and not be out of place with Top line NHL talent. Until Malkin surpasses that Semin>Malkin. It's AO and Semin for me. I'm not saying potential is not there. We just don't know if his play translates as well as AO & Semin. It's quite a reach in my mind.

What exactly has Semin shown in the NHL? The ability to score 22 points in 52 games?

Semin is 21 years old this season and has put up 9 points in 16 games in the RSL.

Malkin is 19 years old this season and has put up 23 points in 23 games in the RSL.

Between Semin and Malkin, it isn't even close.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
borro said:
This has any meaning in a society that threatens players if they come to North America. Very simplistic evaluation. Semin has been called by some the best player there. This was not by Caps fans mind you. Semin easily makes any national team if he allowed to play.

PUH-LEASE!!!

Semin needs 2 years of military service, by law it is mandatory. It is HIS CHOICE to serve it by playing hockey rather than actually serving in the army like everyone else. Yes, if you disobey the law, there will be consequences such as arrests/fines/I dunno what is the case for evading military service.

Who was the dumbass that called Semin the best player "there"?! Malkin, Sushinsky, Morozov, Zvinojev, Korolyuk, Khartinov... hell even Mozyakin I will excpect. Semin is doing absolutely nothing in terms of putting up points in the RSL.

Seriously, at least check what Semin's production is like before making bogus assertions. Semin has pretty much no chance making it to the Olympics if that is what you mean by the national team... at least for Russia. If by "any national team" you mean Germany, Italy, Latvia... by all means you are right. However, he is certainly not good enough to play for Russia and will not do so.

Anyways, I think Malkin's expectations in the NHL cannot be compared to that of Zherdev, as Zherdev + Semin never dominated the RSL, while Malkin is currently doing so.

PS: The Caps are my co-favourite team.

KariyaIsGod*

borro said:
Looking at how some guys, like say Zherdev have turned out, it is a VERY reasonable thing to point out that performance may not be what some fans exxagerate it to be, and his performance may degrade some against better talent. It is practically a given. It's amazing that people cannot even QUESTION Malkin without fans acting like their apple cart has been turned over. I'll stick with AO & Semin. If you had to have a shootout goal, AO & Semin would be picked before Crosby and Malkin. If you needed a big hit, Crosby's name would never come up. If you needed someone to backcheck, Crosby's name would never come up. AO's game is clearly more complete.

Watch some Penguins games. Crosby plays a perfectly adequate defensive game. If you have to have a shootout goal? Again, Crosby has been superb in that area. Malkin should od well also.

You are either a homer or an idiot if you pick AO and Semin because this isn't even close to being at all close...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jovanovski = Norris said:

vs

You run into the same problem as the original comparison. Those four other parts going both ways are not far enough apart to be called anything other than fairly interchangable. Someone may like one package, someone the other, Crosby and AO clearly the crown jewels. In the end it is once more Malkin vs. Semin, and that is not even close. The rest remains window dressing that just confuses that real choice.

I still say that a more intriguing thought, though it will never happen, is AO for Crosby, to reuinite Malkin and AO in a Russian line. Will never happen for a number of reasons, but an intriguing idea none the less. There is no way a deal goes the other way sending Washington Malkin. Washington would not willingly part with what it would actually take to garner such a deal. But just for fun, try it out in your head, what would it really take from Washington to get a Malkin. Then you see how ridiculous this thread actually is.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Jaded-Fan said:
You run into the same problem as the original comparison. Those four other parts going both ways are not far enough apart to be called anything other than fairly interchangable. Someone may like one package, someone the other, Crosby and AO clearly the crown jewels. In the end it is once more Malkin vs. Semin, and that is not even close. The rest remains window dressing that just confuses that real choice.

I still say that a more intriguing thought, though it will never happen, is AO for Crosby, to reuinite Malkin and AO in a Russian line. Will never happen for a number of reasons, but an intriguing idea none the less. There is no way a deal goes the other way sending Washington Malkin. Washington would not willingly part with what it would actually take to garner such a deal. But just for fun, try it out in your head, what would it really take from Washington to get a Malkin. Then you see how ridiculous this thread actually is.

These questions are meant to be fun and only just that. This has no utility and we can not seriously expect to infer anything through these hypothetical comparisons. It proves nothing and really serves no purpose other than to entertain us.

But it will be a heck of a rivalry though. Old teammates sparring off. Stone vs Fehr. Ovechkin vs Malkin. Crosby vs Semin should easily tip the scales however.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
DrMoses said:
You are either a homer or an idiot if you pick AO and Semin because this isn't even close to being at all close...

Little bit of A, little bit of B...

Seriously, this isn't close in anyone's mind except the guy who started the thread. It's obvious he knows nothing about Malkin or Crosby (Malkin plays against boys and Crosby doesn't play physical or backcheck? Huh?) and just wants to get a reaction. Nobody who knows anything about hockey takes this seriously.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Master Shake said:
Malkin has played and is playing against many NHLers in the RSL. He has also been dominating while doing it. Ask Dave King what he thinks of Malkin.

Crosby is amazing. Ovechkin is amazing. Malkin might be better then both of them.

:clap:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Jovanovski = Norris said:

vs

Yes they would. And Stone isn't even one of our top 7 or 8 forward prospects.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Gretzky in his prime + Crosbyfan or
Crosby + Malkin or
Ovechkin + Semin ?

Please discuss (I pick me and Gretzky but really value your opinion)

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ovechkin=Crosby
Semin<Malkin

I would rather have Crosby and Malkin than that Ovechkin and a player that has no desire to play hockey in the NHL.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
borro said:
Looking at how some guys, like say Zherdev have turned out, it is a VERY reasonable thing to point out that performance may not be what some fans exxagerate it to be, and his performance may degrade some against better talent. It is practically a given. It's amazing that people cannot even QUESTION Malkin without fans acting like their apple cart has been turned over. I'll stick with AO & Semin. If you had to have a shootout goal, AO & Semin would be picked before Crosby and Malkin. If you needed a big hit, Crosby's name would never come up. If you needed someone to backcheck, Crosby's name would never come up. AO's game is clearly more complete.
Have you EVER even watched Crosby play?

Shootout goals? How about the clutch breakaway goal he scored in overtime.

Crosby is clutch. He willed us to win over the Flyers this week. After getting hit in the face with two cheap shots, he set up a goal, tapped another one in, and sealed the win in OT. What more could you ask?

Big hits? I'll have you know that there is a current thread where some flyers fans are *****ing that Crosby hit Rathje from behind. 6'5 and 250. Or how about when he absolutely stood up Hal Gill. This kid is the total package.

This kid does it all.

You are a moron if you say Crosby is a one dimensional player.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I find it sad how so many people believe Ovechkin is a better player than Crosby because he "may" be better this year.

First of all, Crosby is two years younger than Ovechkin.
Second of all, it is debatable as to whether Ovechkin is actually better.

Let's suppose the 20 year old Ovechkin is slightly better than the 18 year old Crosby this year. But imagine what a 20 year old Crosby can do. Compare that to Ovechkin's now.

Transported Upstater

Crosby/Ovechkin: You could go either way. I would personally take Crosby.

Semin/Malkin: I have not seen either one of them in person. I have seen them both on television in international tournaments.

I cannot possibly imagine anyone choosing Semin here.

Even if you view them equally talented (which I do not, although Semin is tremendous and that is not in any way meant as a slight to him), the difficulties in bringing Semin to North America make this whole thread a moot point.

I have no problem with Malkin playing this year in Russia. He's nearly a year younger than Ovechkin, and less mature physically. Malkin will get plenty of experience playing in the RSL and Olympics.

The bottom line: Pittsburgh has two of the three best young forward prospects in the world. Washington has one. Every other team is jealous. Or should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad