Ovechkin milestone thread - 850 and Beyond!

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Gotta love that Crabb-Beagle-Ovechkin 1st line with Ovi on RW. At least Ovi could make the all-star team on both RW and LW that season, on top of MVP honors.
I think those were different seasons, no?

MVP season was 2012-13 and the Beagle and Crabb year was 2011-12.

That reminds me, Hunter was the worst coach Ovie ever had, he just rode a hot Holtby in the playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

That reminds me, Hunter was the worst coach Ovie ever had, he just rode a hot Holtby in the playoffs.

After further research, it’s the other way around (MVP in 2012-13, Beagle and Crabb line in 2013-14). Thanks Adam Oates.

And yes, I was so glad Hunter left the team when he did. Holtby made him look 100x better than he was.

EDIT: Looks like I was correct initially.

Reactions: TJHKY and um

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

Remember that the Caps are hellbent on whatever it takes to give Ovechkin the record. Which would include reviving the career of the legendary Mr. +50 Jeff Schultz and the secret weapon, TFS himself!

Ovechkin voted All-Star twice will never get old though. Seems like a thing you couldn't make up if you tried lol.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
I was making fun of him at the start of the season, saying he would struggle to match Gretzky’s 9 goal season, but I also said he could heat up at any given time, which he did

There’s was never a doubt in my mind he would hit 30 this season, no surprise here.

I also wouldnt be surprise if he «bounce back » next season with 40 goals.

Anyway, it’s pretty much set in stone now that he breaks Gretzky’s record.

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021

Joel Ward eliminated Boston, but then let team down in G5 against Rangers. Brad Richards totally failed in NYR, but in that day played his best for blueshirts. Cringe memories

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
okay so Ovechkin has 65 games left to score 42 goals to match Gretzky in the same amount of gp.
does he make it? and if not how many more games do you think it will take to get these last 42?
I don't think he will but them again guys like Ovechkin and Howe primarily scored in eras that were harder to score in than compared to the 1980s.

Ovechkin won 4 Rockets when he was the lone 50 goal scorer during those seasons. He won a 5th when him and Draisaitl were the only 50 goal scorers during that season.

Reactions: User9992

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I don't think he will but them again guys like Ovechkin and Howe primarily scored in eras that were harder to score in than compared to the 1980s.

Ovechkin won 4 Rockets when he was the lone 50 goal scorer during those seasons. He won a 5th when him and Draisaitl were the only 50 goal scorers during that season.
well his younger seasons really has nothing to do with if hes able to put in 42 in 65. I really do think its possible though.
he likely takes over gretzky next season

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
okay so Ovechkin has 65 games left to score 42 goals to match Gretzky in the same amount of gp.
does he make it? and if not how many more games do you think it will take to get these last 42?
He did 22 in last 32,
if you double both numbers it will be 44 in 64 which will make if faster than Gretz.

It is certainly possible, but every player has hot and cold streaks, OV will have a cold one as well.
I do not think he will catch Gretz in fewer total games played, if I were to bet my house.
But I would not be shocked if he does.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
He did 22 in last 32,
if you double both numbers it will be 44 in 64 which will make if faster than Gretz.

It is certainly possible, but every player has hot and cold streaks, OV will have a cold one as well.
I do not think he will catch Gretz in fewer total games played, if I were to bet my house.
But I would not be shocked if he does.
thats what Im thinking too. I dont think he will get the 42 in 64 but I wouldn't bet money against him doing it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Joel Ward eliminated Boston, but then let team down in G5 against Rangers. Brad Richards totally failed in NYR, but in that day played his best for blueshirts. Cringe memories

Not sure Richards "totally failed in NYR". He had a very good season, an awful one, and a decent one if I remember correctly.

Reactions: DitchMarner

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I find this funny. we have been watching Sid and Ovi forever now and somehow through all the arguing on here, there seems to be a growing appreciation for both players by Caps and Pens fans.

Yeah, probably two primary reasons for that...

First, their teams aren't super competitive anymore and they're not counted on to be the top-scoring and most electric players in the league anymore, either. It takes some of the edge off the Sid/Ovi dynamic because now it's more nostalgic than anything else for both groups of fans, which brings us to the second reason...

We can all see the finish line from here for both of them. Everything from here on out is about legacy, and when you quantify the legacy for each guy, the other guy is a huge part of it. The way they pushed each other, played big versus each other... I think we all know (and they especially know) how important their rivalry was for them, for the fans, and for the sport.

hCKrQMxm.jpg
297hjTmm.jpg

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
70 goals in April in 108 games (regular season)
67 Selanne
50 Stamkos
49 Jagr
Where are the usual suspects in this list? I guess Howe not being there would make sense as the season was shorter then (though I don't know when the season would end back then). What about Gretzky, did he not finish strong?

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
I figure Ovi is pretty likely to break the record next season. The 56 goal pace in 32 games obviously isn't something that should be extrapolated over the whole season at his age but certainly 40+ should be possible rather easily if he trains well in the summer, has a good mindset and his linemates aren't all crap.

Now imagine if the stretches were reversed: 22 goals in 32 games and then plummeting to 8 in 43. He'd be written off by now.

I foresee exciting times for the league around a certain big number a year from now.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Career assist #697.
Passed Fedorov, moved into sole possession of #2 among Russian NHLers.
Tied Hunter for #62 all-time.

Reactions: Randyne

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I figure Ovi is pretty likely to break the record next season. The 56 goal pace in 32 games obviously isn't something that should be extrapolated over the whole season at his age but certainly 40+ should be possible rather easily if he trains well in the summer, has a good mindset and his linemates aren't all crap.

Now imagine if the stretches were reversed: 22 goals in 32 games and then plummeting to 8 in 43. He'd be written off by now.

I foresee exciting times for the league around a certain big number a year from now.
Bolded is going to be the real challenge. Cos they sure have been for the most part this season!

Linemates "not gonna be f***ing suck next season" :laugh:

Reactions: Calderon

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
Back to back seasons without goals against TBL it`s ******* unfair. Those 2 years TBL as team, not Kucherov, are cleary declining and we can`t say they are good defencesively. All the wost to Vasilevsky in postseason ha ha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad