3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yes...just remembered there was some tool wearing an Austin Matthews Leafs jersey. And a dude 3 rows ahead of us in a Bernie Parent Flyers orange retro. He also drank about 12 beers. Had the giant cherry nose to go with it.
LOL...I got hammered one night drinking with Parent-Barber and that Hockey News writer from Philly Jay Greenberg when they were here on PEI for the Lindros training cap back in 92 ? It was my birthday....and I celebrated hard ! Had a great time....those guys can put them away ! I met up with Lindros the next morning at 7 AM and had him sign some items for me ...very obliging and we lined up a lobster fishing excursion with friends for him and a few others . My hang over did not allow me to go deep sea fishing.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Two last notes on Rempe.
1) Rangers would be wise to bring in a coach to help with his fighting techniques. I’ve only seen him use the over hand right. He needs to add an uppercut and body shots to his repertoire.
2) When the post game interview dropped last night I can only imagine every G.M. including ours got a little adrenaline rush (putting it politely) when Matt said “I love fighting “.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Two last notes on Rempe.
1) Rangers would be wise to bring in a coach to help with his fighting techniques. I’ve only seen him use the over hand right. He needs to add an uppercut and body shots to his repertoire.
2) When the post game interview dropped last night I can only imagine every G.M. including ours got a little adrenaline rush (putting it politely) when Matt said “I love fighting “.

He can have a long career as the 13th forward for us

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
IMG_5449.jpeg

Incredible game and atmosphere. Laviolette really bet on his guys in the end and they pulled through.

Edstrom is freakishly fast for someone his height. It’s scary to watch.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I don't think he really has an NHL future but I find it hard not to root for Rempe

This is a player that should've had no chance at the pros, let alone his first NHL game at age 21. Everytime I saw him including the AHL level he was always......fine. Like, a player. There was simply no way to reasonably expect that looking at his stat line from years past.

He comes up to the Rangers and, twice, picks out the toughest guy on the ice and punches him in the face, first Johnston then Martin. I find that very endearing ngl.

Hope he develops into a full time NHLer. He is not right now, to be clear, but it'd be really cool if he ever was.
I said the same thing on my Facebook page yesterday.....it has been a long time since we had a kid that was that eager to get into it and that shit eating grin after was perfect . I remember how excited Troy Mallette was back in the day .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I believe he’s answered a few of those questions at the AHL level.
He skates his lane.
Has played 2nd unit PK.
Does stand Net Front.
The quality that stands out most to me about Rempe’s game is his positioning away from the puck.
He doesn’t join a one-on-one puck battle instead choosing to position himself to angle off the puck from turning into an odd man rush against.
Was a little surprised that he chose to engage with Martin with his team up 1-0.
Rookie mistake and I imagine the coaches let him know that.
I do see a path where Matt becomes a regular NHL player. Time will tell.

I had no problem with the fight. It kind of put the Islanders on notice and the Cizikas, Martin, Clutterbuck line weren't banging bodies all that much the rest of the game. Also from the Rangers players perspective watching Martin on defense for pretty much the entirety of that fight was no doubt a good thing for us. What we would say about one of our guys in the past coming out of a fight with Martin that he didn't absolutely lose was he hung in there. It was Martin hanging in there last night. Martin didn't get killed but Rempe was definitely the aggressor.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Two last notes on Rempe.

Why would they bring in a coach to teach Rempe a skill that will result in exactl 0 more wins for the team?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't think he really has an NHL future but I find it hard not to root for Rempe

This is a player that should've had no chance at the pros, let alone his first NHL game at age 21. Everytime I saw him including the AHL level he was always......fine. Like, a player. There was simply no way to reasonably expect that looking at his stat line from years past.

He comes up to the Rangers and, twice, picks out the toughest guy on the ice and punches him in the face, first Johnston then Martin. I find that very endearing ngl.

Hope he develops into a full time NHLer. He is not right now, to be clear, but it'd be really cool if he ever was.
Not sure why you'd think that, guy was as good as any of the guys on the fourth line before the season. I wanted him over Pitlick and Bonino but i understand why they never kept him onboard.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Why would they bring in a coach to teach Rempe a skill that will result in exactl 0 more wins for the team?
To protect an asset. That asset being Matt Rempe. A veteran player who fights can exploit Rempe’s one move.
The main reason for Matt Rempe to fight is to spark his team. Won’t be much of a spark if he gets beaten badly and him losing would then in turn give the opposing team a boost.

He can have a long career as the 13th forward for us
True. Hoping for an every day role but just staying in the NHL even as a 13th forward would be a gift from a 6th round pick.

Reactions: leetch99

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
To protect an asset. That asset being Matt Rempe. A veteran player who fights can exploit Rempe’s one move.
The main reason for Matt Rempe to fight is to spark his team. Won’t be much of a spark if he gets beaten badly and him losing would then in turn give the opposing team a boost.

True. Hoping for an every day role but just staying in the NHL even as a 13th forward would be a gift from a 6th round pick.

This is age. Tanner Glass is still within the organization and while people shit on him, he had a TON of fights throughout his career.

Some of what you're talking about comes with age and experience and he will get tagged from time to time. The guys in the AHL, in general, are actually often times tougher than the guys in the NHL. McIlrath. Imama. Etc

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Two last notes on Rempe.
He used the body shots in his scrap with Matt Johnson .

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Interesting atmosphere at the game. Ranger fans can be asses with the best of them, and most of the game we pretty much were eating shit, but since like 50% of the groups at the stadium had both islanders and rangers fans in them, it wasn't a hostile place and the shit talking was to your buddy next to you. At least in the tailgates and areas i was around.

There was one dude in tie dye that clearly wasn't held enough as a baby and trolled ranger fans all day until he *surprise* disappeared, and one dude who announced over and over that we should have started quick. Maybe he was right, whose to say?
Yup, I saw some teary eyes. Itmust have beena long drive back to the Jungle room at the Commack Motor Inn.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Most of the tough guys take lessons or have had lessons from former boxers in their respective communities to improve on techniques and pugilistic skills . Take for example Langdon-Johnson and the Gallant brothers [ lightweights that fight heavyweights in the AHL] .....all have had lessons /sessions from a local boxer when they played in Summerside PEI as Tier 2 Junior players and in the following Summers after the hockey season had ended . Those guys work on that stuff year round . It's a hard way to make a living . One of the Gallant brothers just fought Donald Brashear the other night in the NAHL .....LOL....It can be Goggled.

Thanks, I missed that.
Johnson had such a hug on him he had not much choice LOL.....they must have stung though !

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Most of the tough guys take lessons or have had lessons from former boxers in their respective communities to improve on techniques and pugilistic skills . Take for example Langdon-Johnson and the Gallant brothers [ lightweights that fight heavyweights in the AHL] .....all have had lessons /sessions from a local boxer when they played in Summerside PEI as Tier 2 Junior players and in the following Summers after the hockey season had ended . Those guys work on that stuff year round . It's a hard way to make a living . One of the Gallant brothers just fought Donald Brashear the other night in the NAHL .....LOL....It can be Goggled.

Johnson had such a hug on him he had not much choice LOL.....they must have stung though !

But does that come from the team or the player practicing their one skill that makes them relevant on their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest