Outside of your favorite team - do you root for other teams or players more?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
My favorite team is the habs. If we were in the playoffs - i'm sure i'd be rooting for us to win series/cup.

I find that after my team - i only ever care about players.

Pittsburgh. They're my #2. But it's all about me liking Crosby, and wanting to see him win a smythe. If Crosby gets injured and misses playoffs? I'll go onto the next team. Even moreso - if Crosby has a really really bad playoffs and isn't in the running for smythe - i'll again be disinterested and may go onto the next team.

I love PK Subban. I'd love to see him win a cup. Even moreso the smythe. If he were traded, or if were injured and missed the playoffs - I could care less about Nashville.

I even like MacKinnon and therefore if Colorado did well i'd be happy.

And so on.

But it's never about rooting for another team. It's always about players and rooting for their individual success (and as a result - also team success).

I feel like most fans root for teams vs players, from what i've noticed.

Which category do you fall under? Who do you root for (team or players) outside of your favorite team, and what's most important?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
1. My team
2. Any potential Canadian team left
3. Favourite players

So, if the Leafs are eliminated, i'll be cheering for Winnipeg. If Winnipeg is eliminated (highly unlikely) then i'll be cheering on my favourite player Sid.

Reactions: jetsforever

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
1. my team
2. teams i like their playing style (Vegas,Winnipeg)
3. teams with players i like ( PK, Eller)

Apr 9, 2009
USA
After the Pens..

I own a home just outside Columbus, OH. I support local hockey. The Jackets probably get more of my money than the Penguins. Despite the rivalry, I will continue to support the Jackets because I love Columbus and its residents. As long as they aren't playing the Penguins.

After that, I usually latch on to a team out west so I have a team to follow on late nights. It was Edmonton or Calgary, but it turned into Vegas this season because of all the old Penguins.

I don't typically root for players unless they're ex-Penguins or Blue Jackets. Jordan Staal and Rick Nash are still favorite players of mine.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Well I cheer for the Flames up until the playoffs when our season usually ends. Then i'll cheer for Winnipeg/Ottawa if they made it. After that, i'll cheer for Pitt because of Crosby/Malkin. After that, i'll cheer for the remaining team with the longest cup drought.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
I'd say the teams more. Typically I root for the teams that have struggled in the playoffs to get over the hump (Caps, Sharks, Blues, etc.)....if they win, then it's a feel good story

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I'm a Pens Fan

I cheer for Hurricanes unless they're in competition directly or for a playoff spot (I live here)
I cheer for various players for different reasons

I cheer for the underdog in any series where I don't have a dog in the fight

I cheer against Ovechkin and against the Flyers

Reactions: Riptide

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
If Pens are out I'll cheer for former Pens players of significance. Mostly Fleury and Staal.

As a kid I loved the Avs and Forsberg but I no longer have any allegiance to them.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
Grew up a Rangers fan, but I'm learning more and more that I simply like NHL hockey and watch a ton of other games/teams/players not on the Rangers.
Current fav teams after the Rangers - Jets, Vegas, TOR, NSH (call me a bandwagoner and that'd probably be accurate, cause this list will likely change as players move around, and other teams step into the limelight.)

I can't bring myself to ever root for Ovi or Crosby, but if/when they face each other, PIT all the way, cause f*** Ovi.

Reactions: Riptide

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I really like WPG right now. My favorite "other" team changes. As a Blues fan Ill root for anyone playing CHI or NAS all the time, every time and I love WPG right now because of Stastny and man they are just so fun to watch. Easily the most fun team with some incredible fans that are probably the loudest and its not even close. No dumb chants where every one has the word "suck" in it like some immature hillbilly drunkard who doesn't have a larger vocabulary. Just fun, great hockey. Loving WPG right now!

Reactions: Spazkat and DRW204

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Sharks and then i lose interest if they get eliminated until the finals. Then i pick a team i like or hope both teams vanish off the face of the planet if i hate both teams.

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
Teams i follow the most are Nashville, Minnesota, Florida, Carolina and Jets, mainly because tehere are plenty finnish players in those teams, or if not plenty, some of my favorite players atleast.

i hope all these teams does well, im not sure who i want to most win the cup, Mostly Nashville because of Pekka and Saros :)
i hope Florida makes it to playoffs next season!

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
1. My team (Winnipeg)
2. My favorite player or player who I think deserve the cup (that would be Nashville because of Rinne this season)
3. Team that's playing against the team I don't want to win the cup :laugh:

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Similarly to you, I'm a Habs fan that generally cheers for players when the Canadiens are no longer in contention.

I'll be cheering for Wheeler, Ovi, Subban, and Jumbo this year.

After that I'm cheering for the underdog in most cases. (With the exception being a few teams I'd never want to win, ever)

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I cheer for the team rather than a player.

But I wonder would OP still cheer for Crosby (from his example) if Crosby was traded to lets say Bruins, the arch-rival of OP's favorite team...

I can appreciate a given player's talent and good plays, but for me it's more than one individual, it's about the group.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Pittsburgh, because of Crosby and Murray.
Washington, because of Ovechkin.
Minnesota, because of Dubnyk.
Toronto, because of Marner, Matthews, and Nylander.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Always a team, never the players. There might be guys I like, but that never translates into wanting to root for their team because of them.
As for secondary teams I root for, it's usually perennial underdogs or a team I think is due.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad