Out of Town - Who's your team during these Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He's headed there no matter what. He should be nearing 1000 points by the the time he retires and he'll go down as the best defensive player of his era. He's a shoe-in for tor the HOF I think.
Will be hard for him to get to 1,000 points. He's 265 points away. So he needs 2 more 60 point seasons and then 2 50 point seasons and a 45 point season. He'll be 33 next year. It's doable but will depend on how good he'll be at 35+

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yup. You know little about hockey.
John Tavares won’t sign in Montreal because Paul Byron a 20 goal , 3rd line winger is making 3million. Lol lol. Obviously you don’t know much how hockey teams are assembled. You need 4 lines
Paul Byron is useful player. Has 13 less goals than Galchenyuk over the last 3 years playing THIRD line and little PP.
man get a clue. You’re embarrassing yourself
counting goals only to make Byron look better than he really is, or Galchenyuk worse... that's cute.

reality is, Byron had 35 less points than Galchenyuk last 3 seasons... coincidence! that's just a little below Byron's average... meaning he'd need a 4th season to match Galchenyuk last 3...

I get you though, he seems to works f***ing hard while being less productive, never give up.

Does not matter if he is less productive, nope, he works harder therefore he's more important to the team than guys like Galchenyuk or Drouin... that's what hockey knowledge just told me!

Galchenyuk TOI/GP : 16:14
BYron TOI/GP : 16:08

Reactions: ArtPeur and LaP

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
To be honest, Subban already did all of that. :laugh:
And does that, in any way, prove someone is a "knob?" All 3 of them are fierce competitors who battle it out on the ice and at times, that competitiveness and hunger for victory mixed with anger gets the better of em.

Did Subban get suspended before? I don't recall, but I could be wrong.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And does that, in any way, prove someone is a "knob?" All 3 of them are fierce competitors who battle it out on the ice and at times, that competitiveness and hunger for victory mixed with anger gets the better of em.

Did Subban get suspended before? I don't recall, but I could be wrong.

Didnt he get two games for one of his dozen of slewfoots?

Lets get real, Subban toes the line a lot more than most.

Wed have to define what a knob is but id say some of the hate is warranted. Mostly because he always acts like he hasnt done anything :laugh:

Reactions: ArtPeur

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
counting goals only to make Byron look better than he really is, or Galchenyuk worse... that's cute.

reality is, Byron had 35 less points than Galchenyuk last 3 seasons... coincidence! that's just a little below Byron's average... meaning he'd need a 4th season to match Galchenyuk last 3...

I get you though, he seems to works ****ing hard while being less productive, never give up.

Does not matter if he is less productive, nope, he works harder therefore he's more important to the team than guys like Galchenyuk or Drouin... that's what hockey knowledge just told me!

Galchenyuk TOI/GP : 16:14
BYron TOI/GP : 16:08
Byron 1.1 million
Galchenyuk 5 million
Wonder who’s gives you more bang for your buck? Lol
Again Byron playing on the 3rd line next year making 1.1 million is gonna prevent Tavares or any skilled player from coming to Montreal
Cool. Good chat

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
when it's the Doughty or Burns they're funny, entertaining and whatnot, when it's Subban he's a knob...

Doughty is an arrogant dbag, burns and his beard are cringy and lame.

I am a huge fan of karlsson though. Seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Agree on Burns and Doughty. Burns strikes me as just as much a self-promoter as Subban is accused of being. The hair, beard, clothes etc. all seem like a very conscious and cultivated look.

I like Karlsson as well. Interestingly, and I’m not accusing you of this, he can smile and joke on the bench or in warmup and nobody cares. PK does and Mike Milbury loses his mind. It’s an exclusive scrutiny from some.

One thing I’ve learned from playing, coaching and watching far too many sports is that every one is wired differently. At this level, the very best of the very best, they know how to be focussed and prepared. Some guys need to joke around in the dressing room, some are stone faced. No need in trying to make them all the same. The stone faced guy doesn’t necessarily care more than the guy who is loose and smiling.

In a Super Bowl against the Bengals, the Niners were down and in a two minute drill to win. Joe Montana thought the huddle was too tense so he said “hey look, John Candy is on the sidelines”. If anybody besides Tom Brady did that today the hot takes would melt the polar ice caps.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not directed At you, but generally, nobody wants to admit to having cultural biases. An outsider will always be treated with suspicion and be held to a higher standard.

Imagine if Subban did ****ty things off the ice...

Man, could you just imagine if P.K. drove his car into a Tim Hortons and fled the scene?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No not true. He is also often brought up by the media and the NHL and other fans. Because he's a goddamn superstar.

I was referring to this board. Can't speak for everyone of course but i liked pk a lot. He was basically my favorite player since the 90ies. Yet I rarely if ever talk about him anymore unless this is to reply to a ridiculous comment like the one Grant made yesterday.

Grant looks bad today. PK had a decent season according to Grant yet he is nominated for the Norris. It's debatable if pk should have been nominated or not Klingberg had a great season too but pk is without any doubt top 5 this season. Decent? Ridiculous.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

Wed have to define what a knob is but id say some of the hate is warranted. Mostly because he always acts like he hasnt done anything :laugh:
All I could find is a fine for a slewfoot.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

Of course, but he gets booed EVERYWHERE. That never happened to Matt Cooke or Sean Avery or Brad Marchand.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Byron 1.1 million
Galchenyuk 5 million
Again Byron playing on the 3rd line next year making 1.1 million is gonna prevent Tavares or any skilled player from coming to Montreal
Cool. Good chat

Bang for the buck doesn't win cup when you're missing top 6 players.

If you choose Byron over AG to build a team then you deserve to be bottom 5. AG is disappointing for a 3rd overall pick. He needs to improve his play in the defensive zone by a good margin. But the lack of respect for a guy who did 50 points playing like a 3rd of the year with Jacob De La m***** f***** Rose is incredible. BTW AG is 4.9 millions not 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Come on... that's just because you're emotionally invested in this... Karlsson gets that hate, Weber gets that hate, Crosby gets that hate, Ovechkin gets that hate, Burns gets that hate... It is obviously more because he was a Hab, thats for sure, the same way Carey Price needs to prove to everyone he's a starter after a bad year behind this team, or the same way he "never won anything" so he's not good.

It's not something exclusive to Subban, every star player goes through it, except the universally loved ones like Malkin, Bergeron, Kopitar, etc...
You nail it .

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Bang for the buck doesn't win cup when you're missing top 6 players.

If you choose Byron over AG to build a team then you deserve to be bottom 5. AG is disappointing for a 3rd overall pick. He needs to improve his play in the defensive zone by a good margin. But the lack of respect for a guy who did 50 points playing like a 3rd of the year with Jacob De La m***** f***** Rose is incredible. BTW AG is 4.9 millions not 5.
I never said use Byron in the top 6 once. I said Byron is a terrific depth player and 3rd liner.
He and Gallagher form a terrific 3rd line.
Even though Gallagher should be used better
Byron is not the reason we suck
We suck cuz we literally have zero first line players

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
Not sure if everyone saw this, but they were talking Subban/Norris on TSN690 and the whole Grant M stat thing came up. This article was referenced...

From: NHL Department of Player Safety must stay consistent

Greg Wyshynski- ESPN-
”P.K. Subban's nomination for the Norris Trophy is an important one, at least for me as a Professional Hockey Writers Association voter, because it appears that my peers have done some heavy lifting to get there rather than relying on the lazy metrics.
He was eighth in points. He was 21st in time on ice, playing less than Roman Josi for the Nashville Predators. And Josi, frankly, was the glamor pick for best defenseman on the team for most of the season. To arrive at Subban as a Norris Trophy possibility is to dig deeper in the context of his season. Like seeing his 33 even-strength points within the context of having only 42.5 percent of his shifts starting in the offensive zone. Like understanding his impact as a shutdown defender. Like watching the sparks come off the ice as he drags around Alexei Emelin like the anchor that he was.
So this is refreshing.”

Subban played basically the first half of the season with Emelin...

But what about Man Mountain??

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I never said use Byron in the top 6 once. I said Byron is a terrific depth player and 3rd liner.
He and Gallagher form a terrific 3rd line.
Even though Gallagher should be used better
Byron is not the reason we suck
We suck cuz we literally have zero first line players

Of course he's not the reason we suck. We suck because we use 3rd liners in our top 6 and AHL dmen in our top 4. My post was not one to diminish Byron. He is a terrific 3rd line player. But there's no comparison to be made between him and AG. AG is the better player and when both will have retired AG will be the one with the most productive career.

One day we will have to accept AG is a winger and need a center and stop criticizing him for not being one. If he's not a center then you can't ask him to produce 60 points with the likes of DLR, Danault and end of career Plekasex. And don't get me wrong i like DLR and Danault. Perfect 3rd line center and 4th line center. Two guys who work hard and play a good 200 foots game. But those are not centers who will help a winger to generate offense. There's not even 10 wingers in this league able to generate offense by themselves. There's Kane, Ovy, Kucherov, Hall, maybe Gaudreau, Pasternak, Panarin. The others are mostly all debatable.

47 wingers did 50+ points this seasons. So AG is already in the top 50 when it comes to wingers. And most of them played with far better centers than Danault and DLR. Just look at the difference in production between Radulov this season and last. He did 56 points playing with Danault and he did 72 playing with Seguin. That's 28% more points than last year. That's a huge difference.

BTW we do have first liner players. We just don't have first line centers to play with our first line wingers. Now do any of our first line wingers is elite? The answer is no. But they are first liner wingers providing they play with a first line center.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not sure if everyone saw this, but they were talking Subban/Norris on TSN690 and the whole Grant M stat thing came up. This article was referenced...

From: NHL Department of Player Safety must stay consistent

Greg Wyshynski- ESPN-
”P.K. Subban's nomination for the Norris Trophy is an important one, at least for me as a Professional Hockey Writers Association voter, because it appears that my peers have done some heavy lifting to get there rather than relying on the lazy metrics.
He was eighth in points. He was 21st in time on ice, playing less than Roman Josi for the Nashville Predators. And Josi, frankly, was the glamor pick for best defenseman on the team for most of the season. To arrive at Subban as a Norris Trophy possibility is to dig deeper in the context of his season. Like seeing his 33 even-strength points within the context of having only 42.5 percent of his shifts starting in the offensive zone. Like understanding his impact as a shutdown defender. Like watching the sparks come off the ice as he drags around Alexei Emelin like the anchor that he was.
So this is refreshing.”

Subban played basically the first half of the season with Emelin...

But what about Man Mountain??

How to take a great post and lose credibility in a matter of 25 characters. Man Mountain was injured, kinda like how Subban was injured last season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It couldn't possibly be both? Some may dislike him primarily because he's black and others might primarily dislike him because he's a knob?

Could be...

Except that far worse knobish behaviour by far less accomplished players & community contributors simply does not attract the same degree of vitriol.

Pretending that colour isn't a major component of how PK is perceived is to ignore the systemic and pervasive colour bias that is deeply ingrained in our society.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Byron 1.1 million
Galchenyuk 5 million
Cool. Good chat
who said that ??? who ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad