Out of Town Scoreboard 2017-18 season III: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What did they give up for Plekanic?
Hopefully nothing more than a cheap sushi dinner and even that is overpayment.

He's cooked.

All I keep hearing is how good he's been for them. The analysts were hyping him more than most of the Leafs players this series. I know expectations and all and we expect more out of Matthews, Marner, etc than Plekanec, but all I saw was a very old player that's lost his hands, his feet and legs and just gets trapped in the D-zone. He's just another anchor along with the 435 pounds of deadweight on D that they got back there.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
When do Matthews, Nylander, Marner etc. ELC's end?
For all the gloating Leafs fans do about taking time with this build, and losing in the 1st round doesn't matter for now. It gets a lot harder to squeeze these guys, plus the Dmen they need under a cap.
Nylander is up this summer, Matthews and Marner the following summer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
golf_leafs_golf.jpg

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And this is exactly why advanced stats and things like corsi exist, but you really shouldn't need them as evidence that these guys are both poor defensemen. Shanny, Babcock and even Lou should know better.

Hainsey playing most of the minutes that Letang would have gotten if he weren't injured last year was a huge reason that Pittsburgh was getting outshot a lot more in the playoffs last year, than in 2016 when they were demolishing teams like the Lightning and Sharks in shots and possession most of the series.

Even Lou? These guys smack of Lou moves, just like getting a washed up Plekanec was. I would think Shanny and Dubas would know better. Babcock's an old-fashioned coach so he might not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Some of the Leafs fans were pretty cool to us this year, some of them said some nice things to us this year, but I still like seeing the Leafs lose.

I have a family friend, who is 69 years old and he's a Devils fan. He lives in Bradenton Beach and attends most Devils games in Tampa. We usually go during the regular season, but didn't get seats together this playoffs, but met up to eat after both games I attended (games 2 and 5).

And like I've said before, he hates the Leafs and one of his very famous lines is ''I was a virgin the last time the Leafs won a cup''. That was all he had after a couple of us younger dudes said ''None of us were born yet when the Leafs last won the cup!''. I just texted him his famous line. Haha he loved it, we're cool like that. He was watching this game.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Matthews had 2 points this series. 1 goal and a secondary assist I believe. Only reason it went 7 was because Andersen stole 2 games which Toronto had no business winning. Marner was also fantastic, half the Leafs offense

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Rychel, Valiev, 2018 2nd round pick.

Yep that was a classic Lou move. I don't get why they even needed Plekanec, they have Bozak who's a faceoff monster and Mathews is gonna take most of the other shifts. They essentially traded all that for a 4th-line center or what Zajac will be at the end of his contract.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even Lou? These guys smack of Lou moves. I would think Shanny and Dubas would know better. Babcock's an old-fashioned coach so he might not.
Well, Polak has been there since before Lou, so I figure he's not a Lou guy.

Lou has been there since they've kept bringing him back, but he was first there before Lou.

Hainsey smells like a Lou signing, so does Matt Martin, who I don't believe played this series.

Speaking of Lou, he was discussed as a lame duck GM with no contract past this year (they said the same thing about Fletcher, who was let go the other day), and that he probably won't be extended. At least not in a GM role. So I wonder if this was his last game as a GM? They obviously want Dubas to be the GM, after not allowing Colorado to interview him last offseason. I wonder if they keep Lou in an advisory role?

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Some of the Leafs fans were pretty cool to us this year, some of them said some nice things to us this year, but I still like seeing the Leafs lose.

I have a family friend, who is 69 years old and he's a Devils fan. He lives in Bradenton Beach and attends most Devils games in Tampa. We usually go during the regular season, but didn't get seats together this playoffs, but met up to eat after both games I attended (games 2 and 5).

And like I've said before, he hates the Leafs and one of his very famous lines is ''I was a virgin the last time the Leafs won a cup''. That was all he had after a couple of us younger dudes said ''None of us were born yet when the Leafs last won the cup!''. I just texted him his famous line. Haha he loved it, we're cool like that. He was watching this game.

I get to use that one on my peer Ranger fans all the time. Never gets old

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I get to use that one on my peer Ranger fans all the time. Never gets old
I'm a little too old to say that I wasn't alive for the last Rangers cup, but at least I can say that I was not yet born for the last Flyers cup!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well, Polak has been there since before Lou, so I figure he's not a Lou guy.

Lou has been there since they've kept bringing him back, but he was first there before Lou.

Hainsey smells like a Lou signing, so does Matt Martin, who I don't believe played this series.

Speaking of Lou, he was discussed as a lame duck GM with no contract past this year (they said the same thing about Fletcher, who was let go the other day), and that he probably won't be extended. At least not in a GM role. So I wonder if this was his last game as a GM? They obviously want Dubas to be the GM, after not allowing Colorado to interview him last offseason. I wonder if they keep Lou in an advisory role?

I don't think Lou's gonna want to go quietly into the night even if Toronto doesn't bring him back but at the same token I can't see him taking another job where he's subservient to or has to answer to ownership, I think he took the Toronto job cause of Shanny and he wanted to get out of here asap after we booted him upstairs but with other GM jobs open (hell Minnesota might try Lou hah) he could fish around more than he did last time when there was only the one GM job open.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Lou's gonna want to go quietly into the night even if Toronto doesn't bring him back but at the same token I can't see him taking another job where he's subservient to or has to answer to ownership, I think he took the Toronto job cause of Shanny and he wanted to get out of here asap after we booted him upstairs but with other GM jobs open (hell Minnesota might try Lou hah) he could fish around more than he did last time when there was only the one GM job open.
You know, I never thought of that. Now that you mention it, maybe he will be a candidate for the Minnesota job? I almost think Dean Lombardi is a Minnesota candidate, as they wanna win-now and win the cup now, which maybe he can help with, before really choking their cap like he did in LA.

Don't think he'd be a candidate for Carolina. I think he'd want more autonomy than the owner is (supposedly, as rumor would have it) willing to give. He only took the backseat or figurehead role in Toronto because of Shanny, like you said. What other team doesn't have a GM right now? I think just Minnesota, right? I guess they still brought back Bergevin in Montreal? Lou probably don't speak French!:P

We haven't heard that Garth is definitely coming back to the Islanders, but we haven't heard he probably isn't either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Could have sworn there was another GM opening besides those two but guess I was just thinking of the Leafs themselves :P Plus a couple other teams might boot their current GM to get Lou in there.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Kind of like 2013, just without the 3 goal lead blown.

3 unanswered goals in the 3rd period still.

a T.O. clown show

already felt the impending demise during the 2nd intermission

just knew there was no other way it would unfold

by the way …it was 4 goals in the 3rd

comical

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
a T.O. clown show

already felt the impending demise during the 2nd intermission

just knew there was no other way it would unfold

by the way …it was 4 goals in the 3rd

comical
Ah, 4 unaswered goals! That's right.

I had a little doubt, but I still thought Boston would win this game when it was 4-3 Leafs in the 2nd period.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Could have sworn there was another GM opening besides those two but guess I was just thinking of the Leafs themselves :P Plus a couple other teams might boot their current GM to get Lou in there.
I don't see many teams booting their GM for Lou, other than maybe the Islanders and possibly a team that's GM looks pretty safe right now, who we would have never guessed.

Edmonton might be a dark horse here.:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't see many teams booting their GM for Lou, other than maybe the Islanders and possibly a team that's GM looks pretty safe right now, who we would have never guessed.

Edmonton might be a dark horse here.:laugh:

Or your Sharks if they lose to Vegas :P Are they ever gonna fire Dougie?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like I haven't watched a West Coast game in like a year.

The Sharks already seem like they got eliminated from the playoffs and their season is over, with how long they've been idle and how quickly they disposed of the Ducks, as well as the Golden Knights disposing of the Kings.

Struggling on who to pick in the second round. Only got half of the winners right in the first round. Picked Winnipeg, Nashville, Boston, Pittsburgh. Struck out on us, the Blue Jackets, Kings and Ducks. Said the Sharks would win in 7 if Thornton played and lose in 7 if Thornton didn't play. It didn't take long for me to realize I was wildly overrating the Ducks.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Or your Sharks if they lose to Vegas :P Are they ever gonna fire Dougie?
I don't think they're gonna fire him. I swore he was getting fired at some point between 2012-2015, it never happened. I feel like he's been safe ever since. I think getting rid of Loser Todd (absolutely the right move) in 2015 and not in 2014 (probably the wrong move) after the reverse sweep playoff loss to the Kings, probably bought him a stay of execution and a lifeline. I think if he fired Todd after that series and they still missed the playoffs in 2015 like they did, Doug would have been canned in 2015. The fact that he kept Todd around a year, then used that playoff miss as grounds for the termination of him, it probably served as a lifeline. Then the SCF berth the next year probably bought him quite a few years.

I don't think they'd hire Lou there. The owner seems to love Doug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad