Post-Game Talk: "Ouch" Sharks 5 Jets 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
yea i get where Ehlers is coming from as well. Connor also seemed a bit slow/hesitant to react when the play was going the other way - it seemed like he was in a better position than Pavelski to start the rush. Pavelski shouldn't beat KC down ice :laugh:

Myers actually started the sequence with a good one-on-one defensive play but i don't get him going to the corner? Ehlers does hesitate and makes a loop prior to entering the zone and that could have thrown everyone off perhaps.
As I see it, Ehlers threw everyone off when trying to be way too creative in that situation. Connor was also extremely slow to backcheck, and should have been able to keep up with the Sharts.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess not.

Also, the last two games teams have really crashed down hard on Wheeler on the half wall, often causing him to curl back towards the blue line and leaving dicey cross zone passes, or hoping he can funnel it back into the corner. However , the board side winger is blocking the funnel, and the other forward is putting pressure high slot out leaving him with very little.

We need to mix it up

I haven't played hockey in a long long time, but if you put me out PKing against our PP1, I would know to be all over Wheeler. I imagine that actual hockey players and coaches have figured this out.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd take Chia or Trouba over Niku but he's done well considering his size and strength.
I don't like his gap much - he's allowing way to much room on the rush - he's even backing off the ozone blue line too early -
I'd assume it's a confidence thing - and I'm being picky - I would by no means criticize this kid this early.

What I do like is his skating and how that get's him out of trouble - using his best asset every chance he gets.

Setting him up on the PP is a no brainer to me - love to have his mobility out there.
I can also see him taking a lot of heat off Wheeler with his possession / skating.

I like his game and look forward to watching him improve.

His quick crisp passes would match Laine's on the PP as well. Everyone else on that PP holds the puck and looks around for options.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
This place is really a cesspool after the harder losses. These are usually the kind of moments that teach players and teams lessons.

All anyone ever seems to do is use our mistakes as a way to rail on the players or coach that they already dont like.

Playoffs cant get here soon enough.
This has been said all through out the season. We've been getting plenty of lessons, but doesn't seem like we've learned much from them

Reactions: Robinson2187

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hellebuyck now .909. That is league avg this year. Not starter avg though. All goalies avg.

He is 29th in the league among goalies who have played 22+ games, 32nd if we take those who have played 16+ games.

I believe that he is the difference between last year's Jets and this year's.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Hellebuyck now .909. That is league avg this year. Not starter avg though. All goalies avg.

He is 29th in the league among goalies who have played 22+ games, 32nd if we take those who have played 16+ games.

He has been a significant part of it but you can't put it all on him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He has been a significant part of it but you can't put it all on him.

No, it isn't all on him - but he equals the difference. It isn't all on Myers either. :laugh: But you'd never know that from reading some of the posts here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Same goes for Hutch, look where he is now.

Thinking another goalie will make the team win more all of a sudden is a lazy cop out

Of course it can be wrong - but that is no excuse for not trying it to find out, it could work.

We've got nothing to lose.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Considering some of those rosters that’s not a bad accomplishment. Or were those teams expected to be contenders?
I believe Carolina was a good team. Got them to 91 points then the very next season they crashed to 64 points. They fire him and brought in I believe Laviolette who won a cup 2 years later.

Reactions: sipowicz

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
What I find interesting is Maurice`s statements to the effect that he has such great respect for the player leadership ,he seldom if ever even ventures into the "Room" himself, either before or immediately after each game. He defaults totally to the veteran leadership to get the team motivated for each game, and to deal with any needed player issues/controversies that might arise.
Who was the last so called players coach to win a cup?

Reactions: Mbraunm

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
No, it isn't all on him - but he equals the difference. It isn't all on Myers either. :laugh: But you'd never know that from reading some of the posts here.
The Jets 5v5 xGA/60, as pointed out by Maukkis in the Hellebuyck thread, is the worst it's ever been since the Jets arrived in Winnipeg.

2017-18: We allowed 2.19 xG per game at even strength, score- and venue-adjusted.

2018-19: 2.61.

The problem isn't just Hellebuyck seemingly struggling to adjust to the new goalie equipment rules. The Jets have /never/ allowed this much xG against.

It isn't just Hellebuyck. The whole team has plummeted.

xGA/60 (Rank)
2011-12 2.43 (25)
2012-13 2.45 (26)
2013-14 2.21 (24)
2014-15 2.21 (13)
2015-16 2.35 (18)
2016-17 2.24 (11)
2017-18 2.19 (4)
2018-19 2.61 (24)

Reactions: Mbraunm and DRW204

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I haven't played hockey in a long long time, but if you put me out PKing against our PP1, I would know to be all over Wheeler. I imagine that actual hockey players and coaches have figured this out.

The Sharks were really all over Wheeler on the PP yesterday.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Myers really should take a lot of blame for that loss. What the hell was he doing pinching with less than five seconds left? Secure the f***ing point.

I’m really irritated right now. Next game can’t come soon enough. I think I said the same thing after the Lightning loss so it’s becoming a theme. Thanks Jets.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
What site you get the xG rankings from?

The Jets 5v5 xGA/60, as pointed out by Maukkis in the Hellebuyck thread, is the worst it's ever been since the Jets arrived in Winnipeg.

xGA/60 (Rank)
2011-12 2.43 (25)
2012-13 2.45 (26)
2013-14 2.21 (24)
2014-15 2.21 (13)
2015-16 2.35 (18)
2016-17 2.24 (11)
2017-18 2.19 (4)
2018-19 2.61 (24)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

xGA/60 (Rank)
2011-12 2.43 (25)
2012-13 2.45 (26)
2013-14 2.21 (24)
2014-15 2.21 (13)
2015-16 2.35 (18)
2016-17 2.24 (11)
2017-18 2.19 (4)
2018-19 2.61 (24)

Goals are up league wide so the raw number isn't as significant as the league standing. We were worse in the first few years. But how do you separate the effect of goaltending out of that number?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Myers really should take a lot of blame for that loss. What the hell was he doing pinching with less than five seconds left? Secure the ****ing point.

I’m really irritated right now. Next game can’t come soon enough. I think I said the same thing after the Lightning loss so it’s becoming a theme. Thanks Jets.

I was talking about the season, not one game.

Right now, I'm not looking forward to the games. I may not even watch the next one. Well, I don't feel like watching but I will, just in case they play well and win. :laugh: Wouldn't want to miss it.

All in all, they weren't that bad. A couple of bonehead plays and Helle fighting the puck all night = bad result. But they might have beaten a weaker opponent. But still, SJS on the back of a b2b, missing EK & EK and down to 5 D. Their goalie was just as bad as Helle. How could we not win that one? :huh: :shakehead In our own barn yet?

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016

It is only a part of the deterioration. Since the season began until now, the analytics have indicated that this is a struggling team. Make no mistake about it, every area of our systems (except the PP) has not been operating effectively since the beginning of the season. Helle is only a part of a much larger issue that underpins our ineffective underlying metrics - coaching.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
These last couple of losses are giving me flashbacks to that last year in the Southleast Div when we appeared to have a shot at winning the Div until that b2b loss to Caps. That was very disappointing but in the end I realized that we really didn't deserve to win it and they did.

The Jets just aren't as good as I thought.

Reactions: sipowicz

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Who was the last so called players coach to win a cup?

Exactly, this approach of over deference and reliance on the vets is not a strategy for long term success. We will continue to see this team steuggle as long as Maurice remains the head coach...unless he decides to take leadership and establish accountability for all members of the team.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Agreed, I think he's given the room too much autonomy and now he probably has a hard time regaining some control back.

Control should have been established within the first 20 games of the season when the underlying metrics were indicating that this was a middling team that was “out-talenting” teams for wins. If he hasn’t established clarity and accountability by now, I doubt he will in the future. He is a vet and player friendly coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad