Post-Game Talk: "Ouch" Sharks 5 Jets 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
What I find interesting is Maurice`s statements to the effect that he has such great respect for the player leadership ,he seldom if ever even ventures into the "Room" himself, either before or immediately after each game. He defaults totally to the veteran leadership to get the team motivated for each game, and to deal with any needed player issues/controversies that might arise.

That's one way to do it and could be great leadership on his part. If it was like that last season, clearly it seemed to work. If it's like that this season, clearly he needs to get into that room ASAP...

He's the coach for crying out loud. IF the team is doing well and everything is working like a well-oiled machine, then it's fine you let the guys do their thing, but they have been more or less struggling for the past 30 games, then maybe it's time to step in and be a coach for a change.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just look at Maurice's track record. Every team he has ever coached has done the same thing. Performed at a super high level one season then crashes hard the next. Seems he can only get them to buy in for so long every where he goes.

This is why im very curious to see how he does from here on out. It's one thing to reach excellence, it's quite another to maintain it. We are in uncharted waters with both this team and head coach not having any experience with sustained excellence at the NHL level.

I think we are seeing a number of growing pains among both the players and coach on how to manage the expectations, performance etc.

The players probably bought onto their hype a bit too much and the early success reinforced bad habits. I think they are finding out that it's not so easy to flip a switch and break out of them.

I think Maurice didn't push the team hard enough and let things get too loose and unravel. He wasn't quick to notice or a dress problem areas instead hoping the players would eventually sort things out on't heir own.

If all parties learn form it then it will be another stepping stone.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Well part of those issues is Scheif hasn’t been open, nor has he tried to get open, this calendar year. He can’t get open and they’re not trying to get him open. Which is another problem all together. :help:

Pre-Christmas both of those plays were deadly, high percentage plays. Now to me it seems we've been scouted. Wheeler is being pressured. Scheifele doesn't have the gap anymore. And the goaltender is expecting Laine's shot and comes across very quickly.

From my understanding the 1-3-1 is the most effective PP in hockey, and it's why so many teams use it. I'm hoping the Connor goal is an indication that we're going to throw in some variations and wrinkles into it.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Any player can play big minutes. But playing them with a bare minimum level of quality is an important distinction. He also plays PK because he gets sent out on the PK. Stuart played PK up until the end of his career as well. Neither were statistically good PKers.

Won’t disagree with that

Reactions: AKAChip

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Pre-Christmas both of those plays were deadly, high percentage plays. Now to me it seems we've been scouted. Wheeler is being pressured. Scheifele doesn't have the gap anymore. And the goaltender is expecting Laine's shot and comes across very quickly.

From my understanding the 1-3-1 is the most effective PP in hockey, and it's why so many teams use it. I'm hoping the Connor goal is an indication that we're going to throw in some variations and wrinkles into it.
THe problem on the powerplay is Trouba takes 13 seconds to make a decision with the puck, Scheifele just stands there and Connor's only play seems to be to get it back to wheeler. IMO, the biggest issues are Trouba and Connor.

Reactions: Robinson2187

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Also, on a final note I have no problems with Wheeler showing some emotion out there. All he did was slam his stick.

I don't mind emotion, far from it, but I really got a bad vibe from Wheeler last game. Pretty much anytime he was shown on the bench, he seemed to be angry, but not in the fire-up-your-troops kinda way, but turned inwards, sulking, "honey, is everything alright? you wanna talk about it?" kinda way... yeah it might be I'm reading too much into it, but I don't think I saw good leadership in that game. My guess would be he tries to carry too much and takes on too much responsibility and it backfires, not that I know anything.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
THe problem on the powerplay is Trouba takes 13 seconds to make a decision with the puck, Scheifele just stands there and Connor's only play seems to be to get it back to wheeler. IMO, the biggest issues are Trouba and Connor.

Connor is so underutilized. It's as you said, his only job is literally just to bank the puck to Wheeler.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Hopefully we don't end up tripping face first into the playoffs.

It's about time the lapdog media that covers the Jets starts to talk about this. And for the record, it's 18 Wins and 18 Losses in the last 36 games. 36 consecutive games is a big sample.

I have been pointing out this W-L concern for a while now. Don't believe me? Ducky10 is my witness.

Reactions: Channelcat

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
I don't mind emotion, far from it, but I really got a bad vibe from Wheeler last game. Pretty much anytime he was shown on the bench, he seemed to be angry, but not in the fire-up-your-troops kinda way, but turned inwards, sulking, "honey, is everything alright? you wanna talk about it?" kinda way... yeah it might be I'm reading too much into it, but I don't think I saw good leadership in that game. My guess would be he tries to carry too much and takes on too much responsibility and it backfires, not that I know anything.

He’s definitely a sulker

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This place is really a cesspool after the harder losses. These are usually the kind of moments that teach players and teams lessons.

All anyone ever seems to do is use our mistakes as a way to rail on the players or coach that they already dont like.

Playoffs cant get here soon enough.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What I find interesting is Maurice`s statements to the effect that he has such great respect for the player leadership ,he seldom if ever even ventures into the "Room" himself, either before or immediately after each game. He defaults totally to the veteran leadership to get the team motivated for each game, and to deal with any needed player issues/controversies that might arise.

Agreed, I think he's given the room too much autonomy and now he probably has a hard time regaining some control back.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I think it's a too-much-by-the-books 1-3-1. The Connor goal was unusual and you wouldn't normally see him go to that side. But it worked because it was a change. No one here knows if that was actually planned or just Connor and Laine being dynamic.

Hayes is a left hand shot but I don't know if he is a good QB. If he is, then it would be interesting to see him in Wheelers' spot because it theoretically a left-handed shot would be an additional threat to score from that position.

Again though, 1) I don't know if he is a good QB and 2) That's something they'd need to practice and work on and I don't know if we have the time.

We used to score buckets by going Right-Wall (Wheeler) to Left-Wall (Laine). Then we added the right-wall (Wheeler) to net-man (Connor) to slot-man (Scheifele). But neither seem to be working right now. And the bomb from the mid-point man is just kind of a hail mary . So...I dunno. :help:

Ya - for whatever it`s worth I really don`t see our PP as a classic 1-3-1. The key factor being the manner in which Buff positions himself. You`ll notice he`s always very close to the boards and just inside the blueline, as opposed to being in the classic 1 position such as we saw with Tampa`s PP a few games ago. I can only guess that Wheeler and Buff are more comfortable with this more typical look and the coach`s have built that into the formation. Clearly designed to allow Wheeler to dump back to Buff using the boards whenever he gets pressured.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

They’ve done this at least two other times this year and then back to a slumping PP and either not utilizing Connor or he simply just defers back to Wheeler.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Ya - for whatever it`s worth I really don`t see our PP as a classic 1-3-1. The key factor being the manner in which Buff positions himself. You`ll notice he`s always very close to the boards and just inside the blueline, as opposed to being in the classic 1 position such as we saw with Tampa`s PP a few games ago. I can only guess that Wheeler and Buff are more comfortable with this more typical look and the coach`s have built that into the formation. Clearly designed to allow Wheeler to dump back to Buff using the boards whenever he gets pressured.

Well Tampa also has the benefit of a former 60 goal scorer on one side and probably the best left handed one timer on the other. But your point still stands obviously.

Reactions: ecolad

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It's about time the lapdog media that covers the Jets starts to talk about this. And for the record, it's 18 Wins and 18 Losses in the last 36 games. 36 consecutive games is a big sample.

I have been pointing out this W-L concern for a while now. Don't believe me? Ducky10 is my witness.

Trust us, we know! :laugh:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It's a 1-3-1. 3 layers. 1 low, 3 across the circles, 1 at the blue line.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think Maurice didn't push the team hard enough and let things get too loose and unravel. He wasn't quick to notice or a dress problem areas instead hoping the players would eventually sort things out on't heir own.

If all parties learn form it then it will be another stepping stone.
I heard former players say Maurice runs short but very intense practices.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
This place is really a cesspool after the harder losses. These are usually the kind of moments that teach players and teams lessons.

All anyone ever seems to do is use our mistakes as a way to rail on the players or coach that they already dont like.

Playoffs cant get here soon enough.
Totally agree.
Other sports networks said it was a great game and mentioned Ehlers gambled for the win and he lost. They also talked about how great of a play Pavelski made on the goal ... no mention on how terrible the Jets were as per the HF.
I would rather have Ehlers and Myers make this mistake and learn from it now then in the playoffs.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't mean physically push them in practice. I mean push them to play the right way, to stay engages and focused.
That's the problem stay focused ... something the Jets are not doing every game but they did against the Preds so something tells me once the playoff comes we will see the true Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad