Post-Game Talk: "Ouch" Sharks 5 Jets 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But it's player execution not coaching or systems. The team performed very well under basically the same system/ coaching last year.

The players are not executing at the same level this year. It seems like they are playing more selfishly this season.

Agreed, but at the end of the day it still falls on the coach to hold them accountable and to get them back on track.

He's failed miserably at the accountability part by not holding any of the vets to a high enough standard for on ice play and adherence to the systems etc. As such a number of the younger players are also playing loose as they see the other more sebior players get away with lazy play.

I can't imagine it's easy to run an NHL room but if Maurice isn't able to get them back on track and playing as a unit then what other recourse do we have other then to look to a new leader to run the room.

Reactions: Jet

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Other than your go to reason that he’s cheap, kindly explain to me what makes Chiarot an NHL defenceman.

Just chiming in here, cheap and ability to play big minutes (not always great quality) is maybe the biggest factor? With Buff out he’s also the biggest, sometimes only physical threat on the Jets. Also plays PK minutes. He can also get shots through unlike Beaulieu, poolman etc

Reactions: Jet

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Just chiming in here, cheap and ability to play big minutes (not always great quality) is maybe the biggest factor? With Buff out he’s also the biggest, sometimes only physical threat on the Jets. Also plays PK minutes
Any player can play big minutes. But playing them with a bare minimum level of quality is an important distinction. He also plays PK because he gets sent out on the PK. Stuart played PK up until the end of his career as well. Neither were statistically good PKers.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You have to feel for Niku. Been arguably the Jets best defenceman during this stretch and gets treated like garbage by the coach.

I'd take Chia or Trouba over Niku but he's done well considering his size and strength.
I don't like his gap much - he's allowing way to much room on the rush - he's even backing off the ozone blue line too early -
I'd assume it's a confidence thing - and I'm being picky - I would by no means criticize this kid this early.

What I do like is his skating and how that get's him out of trouble - using his best asset every chance he gets.

Setting him up on the PP is a no brainer to me - love to have his mobility out there.
I can also see him taking a lot of heat off Wheeler with his possession / skating.

I like his game and look forward to watching him improve.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
You answered your own question ... the best 1.4 million D man in the NHL.:D
You really can’t be serious. I’ll play his minutes for a dollar. I’ll get wrecked every shift but hey, we’re saving 1.39999 million dollars. And we’re already wrecked when he’s on the ice.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Also, on a final note I have no problems with Wheeler showing some emotion out there. All he did was slam his stick.
Thing is, he's been doing it for awhile now. Slamming sticks and bench doors and throwing towels and generally being pouty...it's not a good look. Maybe he needs to fire a puck at big Ben again-get it all out of his system.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Thing is, he's been doing it for awhile now. Slamming sticks and bench doors and throwing towels and generally being pouty...it's not a good look. Maybe he needs to fire a puck at big Ben again-get it all out of his system.
Wheeler really rubs me the wrong way. I don't care as we don't have to hang out, but he seems like the kind of teammate I would sit on the other side of the locker room from. Takes himself way too seriously.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Chiarot has been very dependable all season.

He does his job and never complains.
I’d love to be paid what he gets paid for doing his job (poorly, I might add) and not complaining. Talk about bottom of the barrel praise.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
The team has felt very different compared to last year. Which is weird since the only major difference to our roster is Armia leaving. Feels like the level of hunger, fun and excitement has dropped quite significantly. We haven't been able to keep our head in the game for a longer stretch at any point of the season. Hopefully it's just a hangover from getting success last year and we can turn it up again once the playoffs start.

Maybe there's some of that to it, but I think it's a problem if you expect you can play with poor effort for 82 games and then somehow it will all come together when you increase the effort level in the playoffs. I don't think it works that way.

Last season they were a hungry team trying to get to the playoffs and prove something while they were at it. I understand after that kind of post-season, it can be hard to get into the grind of regular season the next year and I think getting better results than their play really warranted early on may have hurt the Jets. It kinda looks like maybe they did get into that mindset of cruising through the regular season. Now that I think they are trying to turn it up a notch, it's not really coming together consistently and some people are starting to look frustrated. Like they expected they can just flick the switch and it'll start happening, but they flicked it and found out that switch really didn't do much.

It's lucky for the Jets most teams in Central have been really inconsistent, so their bad stretch hasn't hurt them in the standings nearly as much as it could have.

Reactions: ovythegiraffe

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Agreed, but at the end of the day it still falls on the coach to hold them accountable and to get them back on track.

He's failed miserably at the accountability part by not holding any of the vets to a high enough standard for on ice play and adherence to the systems etc. As such a number of the younger players are also playing loose as they see the other more sebior players get away with lazy play.

I can't imagine it's easy to run an NHL room but if Maurice isn't able to get them back on track and playing as a unit then what other recourse do we have other then to look to a new leader to run the room.
Just look at Maurice's track record. Every team he has ever coached has done the same thing. Performed at a super high level one season then crashes hard the next. Seems he can only get them to buy in for so long every where he goes.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Just look at Maurice's track record. Every team he has ever coached has done the same thing. Performed at a super high level one season then crashes hard the next. Seems he can only get them to buy in for so long every where he goes.

Considering some of those rosters that’s not a bad accomplishment. Or were those teams expected to be contenders?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Agree with this for the most part. The real shortcoming with the PP is that it has been choreographed to the point where the players are all nearly standing still once they take up their positions. They have never really learned that their objective is to create pressure on the low strong side Defender first and foremost and cause the entire Defender box to adjust. .Wheeler needs to setup a 2 on 1 with Connor down low, or, even better 3 on 1 with Connor/Scheifele and himself. The pressure so created will literally force the other low Defender and/or the high Defender on the strong side to collapse in towards the net. This tightening of the box then creates all kinds of opportunities for Buff to move from the blueline to nearly the top of the circles, or, of course, open up the cross ice to Laine.

And when shots are directed towards the net, we need to have Scheifele or Connor position themselves somewhere near net front to take away the goalies vision; to redirect shots; and to seek rebounds when the goalie does not control the puck. We have to get some reasonable percentage of these types of goals if the PP is to be effective.

I think it's a too-much-by-the-books 1-3-1. The Connor goal was unusual and you wouldn't normally see him go to that side. But it worked because it was a change. No one here knows if that was actually planned or just Connor and Laine being dynamic.

Hayes is a left hand shot but I don't know if he is a good QB. If he is, then it would be interesting to see him in Wheelers' spot because it theoretically a left-handed shot would be an additional threat to score from that position.

Again though, 1) I don't know if he is a good QB and 2) That's something they'd need to practice and work on and I don't know if we have the time.

We used to score buckets by going Right-Wall (Wheeler) to Left-Wall (Laine). Then we added the right-wall (Wheeler) to net-man (Connor) to slot-man (Scheifele). But neither seem to be working right now. And the bomb from the mid-point man is just kind of a hail mary . So...I dunno. :help:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I’d love to be paid what he gets paid for doing his job (poorly, I might add) and not complaining. Talk about bottom of the barrel praise.

Chiarot shows up and plays decent and is rarely injured while making 1.4 million.
He is not expected to be an all star.

Guys like Tyler Myers make colossal brain dead mistakes which cost us games while making 5.5 million.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Pretty much what the morons on 1290 claimed today when a caller asked. His "lack of experience " was the reason stated.

I can't even begin to describe how much this reasoning makes my head hurt. What pray tell would Niku be faced with on the Jets PP that his "experience" would leave him baffled by? It's a PP, not curing cancer.

I have not been entirely happy with Niku's defensive game, but that is to expected and I think he's improving at a good pace. What I have been really impressed with is his ability and confidence to look up the ice with the puck and see where he wants to take the play and then execute. If he's not the best Jet D-man in that already, it sure looks like he'll probably be in a year or two. Now that offensive vision and confidence with the puck together with his passing skills... yeah it just might work when the Jets are on the powerplay.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Chiarot shows up and plays decent and is rarely injured while making 1.4 million.
He is not expected to be an all star.

Guys like Tyler Myers make colossal brain dead mistakes which cost us games while making 5.5 million.
I’ll meet you halfway. They’re both awful.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think it's a too-much-by-the-books 1-3-1. The Connor goal was unusual and you wouldn't normally see him go to that side. But it worked because it was a change. No one here knows if that was actually planned or just Connor and Laine being dynamic.

Hayes is a left hand shot but I don't know if he is a good QB. If he is, then it would be interesting to see him in Wheelers' spot because it theoretically a left-handed shot would be an additional threat to score from that position.

Again though, 1) I don't know if he is a good QB and 2) That's something they'd need to practice and work on and I don't know if we have the time.

We used to score buckets by going Right-Wall (Wheeler) to Left-Wall (Laine). Then we added the right-wall (Wheeler) to net-man (Connor) to slot-man (Scheifele). But neither seem to be working right now. And the bomb from the mid-point man is just kind of a hail mary . So...I dunno. :help:

Well part of those issues is Scheif hasn’t been open, nor has he tried to get open, this calendar year. He can’t get open and they’re not trying to get him open. Which is another problem all together. :help:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

What I find interesting is Maurice`s statements to the effect that he has such great respect for the player leadership ,he seldom if ever even ventures into the "Room" himself, either before or immediately after each game. He defaults totally to the veteran leadership to get the team motivated for each game, and to deal with any needed player issues/controversies that might arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad