Post-Game Talk: "Ouch" Sharks 5 Jets 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
As I see it, Ehlers threw everyone off when trying to be way too creative in that situation. Connor was also extremely slow to backcheck, and should have been able to keep up with the Sharts.
What i also saw was one of our defenceman {MYERS} thinking he was Buff and busting for the net with the forwards instead of playing fricken D and leaving the other d hanging out to dry . Choosing your time to go when you have back support instead of just going is a trait a lot of offensive D men don't have . Bone headed move on his behalf that most don't see and yes Ehlers throwing ill advised pass did not help either .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It is only a part of the deterioration. Since the season began until now, the analytics have indicated that this is a struggling team. Make no mistake about it, every area of our systems (except the PP) has not been operating effectively since the beginning of the season. Helle is only a part of a much larger issue that underpins our ineffective underlying metrics - coaching.

OK, adjusting for the increased scoring this year and for 69 games to date compared to 82 last year, I compared our goal differential this year and last. Last year we were +59 goals. This year we are +30 to date. At that rate we would be +35 in 82 games. A difference of 24. Adjusting Helle's sv% last year to .919 from .924 to account for the league wide change he is .01 down from last year. That accounts for 17 of those 24 goals. So, you are correct that it is not all Helle. It is 71% Helle.

That is a little superficial. To do it properly I would need to allocate goals to all the goalies, for 1 thing. This was quick and dirty, but good enough for me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Control should have been established within the first 20 games of the season when the underlying metrics were indicating that this was a middling team that was “out-talenting” teams for wins. If he hasn’t established clarity and accountability by now, I doubt he will in the future. He is a vet and player friendly coach.

I'm curious as to how much reigning in he's tried to date. Once a person in a position of authority gives up some power the chances of getting it back are slim. People aren't going to want to give up some otlf their autonomy in the room.

Might be why Hendricks was targeted, to put an agent in the inside as it were.

Still leads me to the same conclusion, if Maurice doesn't have full control of the team and he is by and large letting the players dictate things then what purpose is he serving this season. Especially in light of this teams drop off in performance and perceived by in.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I don't mind emotion, far from it, but I really got a bad vibe from Wheeler last game. Pretty much anytime he was shown on the bench, he seemed to be angry, but not in the fire-up-your-troops kinda way, but turned inwards, sulking, "honey, is everything alright? you wanna talk about it?" kinda way... yeah it might be I'm reading too much into it, but I don't think I saw good leadership in that game. My guess would be he tries to carry too much and takes on too much responsibility and it backfires, not that I know anything.

So where was Laine when Wheeler needed him for support? :sarcasm:

blake-wheeler-and-patrik-laine.png

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
This place is really a cesspool after the harder losses. These are usually the kind of moments that teach players and teams lessons.

All anyone ever seems to do is use our mistakes as a way to rail on the players or coach that they already dont like.

Playoffs cant get here soon enough.

Yeah, this place won't be a cesspool after playoff losses. :laugh:

Reactions: Jack722 and Jet

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
OK, adjusting for the increased scoring this year and for 69 games to date compared to 82 last year, I compared our goal differential this year and last. Last year we were +59 goals. This year we are +30 to date. At that rate we would be +35 in 82 games. A difference of 24. Adjusting Helle's sv% last year to .919 from .924 to account for the league wide change he is .01 down from last year. That accounts for 17 of those 24 goals. So, you are correct that it is not all Helle. It is 71% Helle.

That is a little superficial. To do it properly I would need to allocate goals to all the goalies, for 1 thing. This was quick and dirty, but good enough for me.

Of course! It's the 71% dissolution! Elementary! :thumbu:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
These last couple of losses are giving me flashbacks to that last year in the Southleast Div when we appeared to have a shot at winning the Div until that b2b loss to Caps. That was very disappointing but in the end I realized that we really didn't deserve to win it and they did.

The Jets just aren't as good as I thought.
Actually I think this team is a lot better then most people around here think. Everyone is piling on now but there is a s*** load of talent that has struggled after their first real taste of success last season. Worse teams have had worse seasons and have gone on cup runs. I'll be watching to see how things evolve once some urgency gets added to the mix.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm curious as to how much reigning in he's tried to date. Once a person in a position of authority gives up some power the chances of getting it back are slim. People aren't going to want to give up some otlf their autonomy in the room.

Might be why Hendricks was targeted, to put an agent in the inside as it were.

Still leads me to the same conclusion, if Maurice doesn't have full control of the team and he is by and large letting the players dictate things then what purpose is he serving this season. Especially in light of this teams drop off in performance and perceived by in.
This take is as hot as they come.

Reactions: Ducky10

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Chiarot shows up and plays decent and is rarely injured while making 1.4 million.
He is not expected to be an all star.

Guys like Tyler Myers make colossal brain dead mistakes which cost us games while making 5.5 million.
Myers makes 3 millions. 5.5 is the cap hit. Jets love him as he is cheap.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Actually I think this team is a lot better then most people around here think. Everyone is piling on now but there is a s*** load of talent that has struggled after their first real taste of success last season. Worse teams have had worse seasons and have gone on cup runs. I'll be watching to see how things evolve once some urgency gets added to the mix.
Thank God for you KingBogo

Reactions: KingBogo

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Jets 5v5 xGA/60, as pointed out by Maukkis in the Hellebuyck thread, is the worst it's ever been since the Jets arrived in Winnipeg.

xGA/60 (Rank)
2011-12 2.43 (25)
2012-13 2.45 (26)
2013-14 2.21 (24)
2014-15 2.21 (13)
2015-16 2.35 (18)
2016-17 2.24 (11)
2017-18 2.19 (4)
2018-19 2.61 (24)

Also the worst xG differential in Jets 2.0 franchise history. In underlying play this is one of the worst Jets team this 2.0 franchise has put on ice. Certainly, if you only look at the stretch starting Jan 1- their xGoal differential is in the same ballpark as the Tavares draft Islanders, the Doughty draft Kings, the Draisaitl draft Oilers.

If the 2011-2012 Antti Miettnen Jets faced off against the 2019 Jets in a playoff series and had a league average goalie instead of Pavs I am not sure which team would win.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Control should have been established within the first 20 games of the season when the underlying metrics were indicating that this was a middling team that was “out-talenting” teams for wins. If he hasn’t established clarity and accountability by now, I doubt he will in the future. He is a vet and player friendly coach.

This assumes they use analytics that aren't garbage. Likely as not their analytics are painting a rosier picture than what reality is. Despite whatever analytics buzzwords Maurice might mention in pressers, I don't think those guys could analyze their way out of a wet paper bag.

Reactions: Mbraunm

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Last I heard is you are not allowed 27 players in the regular season.
My point is they aren't opposed to paying money as needed, and having a 27 player roster is case in point. Why be worried about saving a couple million over the course of a season if you are more than willing to blow past that at the TD.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This take is as hot as they come.

Im just spitballing, no one really knows what goes on in that room. My comment was in response to Maurice saying he leaves certain things up to his vet leaders.

Answer honestlt, does this look like a team that has fully bought into the coaches playbook? The system is the same yet the adherence to it and performance is so much worse and now the loses are starting to mount as variances start to even out. Does this look like coach that has a handle on his team and the issues plaguing it or any ideas how to right the ship?

I will also be cheering for them to go all the way but this is a sizable step back for the team in terms of performance. The good news is that they have the talent to pull it together but they are running out of runway.

In the end if all involved grow from this rocky year then all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad