Ottawa Senators : Darkest Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
No I'm saying that everyone has a limit.
But is it Dorion who isn't treating them well or is it Melnyk?

If you immediate Superior call for a meeting and you're not happy about how you are being threat by THE BIG BOSS, you are not going to disrespect you're immediate boss. You're going to talk trash about the big boss and give the message to your immediate Superior so that he can give the message about how we feel.

That meeting, was it not during the big losing streak? If it was, shame on the player who have put the music up... But we don't know who, we don't know if it really happen, right?

So it seems to be speculation..

But i would agree that Melnyk is not a very good owner.. He don't know hwo to speak to his guy or media.. Pathetic..

Reactions: pepty

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Another thing they were talking about on Montreal's radio yesterday and I actually thought it was not a crazy idea.... What if... wait for it... what if :

Erik Karlsson for PK Subban? Straight up

Not sure what to think but if EK is pissed off at Melnyk and wants to move, then PK is a good solution and is already signed. Would Nashville do this? Would Sens fans like it?

Did he get into specifics?

No but he did say that Mike had issues in junior and that it "followed" him... He said that he would be fine in a "strong" locker room. Nothing much more

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Melnyk has always been a pretty bad owner. Yes, he rescued the team, but it's hard to think of many public statements he's made in the last decade that didn't make you roll your eyes. Pure speculation on my part, but I do wonder the impact of Bryan Murray's illness and later death had on things. I wonder whether Murray was able to push back more, or, at the very least, keep Melnyk's nonsense away from the day-to-day lives of the players.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
What will Melnyk apologists’ excuse be when speculation from evil Toronto media (which Uncle Eugene loves to go on) proves to be correct?

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Canada’s Richest People: The Complete Top 100 Ranking

Melnyk still has a networth of 1.15 billion and is 92th on that list among rich canadians

I thought it went under 1 billion after the recent problems he had (divorce, etc)

So his finances have picked up, no? What is he doing then? Is he penny-pinching the Senators just to make a few more millions per year? That's the goal?

Well, there's a few possibilities. One being that the list is wrong and he's not worth that much. Another could be that he's got a lot of debt.

Personally, I think he's just not cut from the right cloth to own a professional sports franchise. Do note, however, that such a thing doesn't preclude other options from also being true. He could be a bad owner AND a cheap f***, or a bad owner AND in massive debt.

Tough to say, unless you happen to be his accountant.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Well, there's a few possibilities. One being that the list is wrong and he's not worth that much. Another could be that he's got a lot of debt.

Personally, I think he's just not cut from the right cloth to own a professional sports franchise. Do note, however, that such a thing doesn't preclude other options from also being true. He could be a bad owner AND a cheap ****, or a bad owner AND in massive debt.

Tough to say, unless you happen to be his accountant.
Only job worse than being Dorion or a member of the Ottawa senators

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
We seem to run across a lot of billionaires that dont seem as great as they seem to think they are due to all their wealth

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Paraphrasing, but supposedly Dorion was having a meeting with the team in the dressing room and felt disrespected by a certain group of players. Talk of said players turning up the volume of the music while he speaking.

I guess the contention is that Karlsson had become openly insubordinate.
Funny that story being leaked now.

Reactions: NyQuil

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Man if we move Karlsson and others next season is going to really suck not having our first.

Getting that high pick is the reward for sucking all year long.

Next year is going to be awful

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Man if we move Karlsson and others next season is going to really suck not having our first.

Getting that high pick is the reward for sucking all year long.

Next year is going to be awful
Lots of time to get another first for next season, Karlsson will probably return one.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes but that first isn't going to be in tje top ten.

Or worse first overall
Geez ... it's better than nothing & if they are able to get two first rd picks they could put them together to move up. Lots of options, people don't have to be so negative, add a player/prospect with a first to move up. Or maybe they hit a home run with a player who goes later, tons of examples of that. It doesn't have to be all gloom & doom.

The team is terrible this yr with Karlsson on it, what makes people think it would be any better with him in the lineup next season? He may never be the player he was again & Ottawa will probably suck for a few yrs. Especially if they are moving a lot of players around him, why not trade him & get as much as possible back & go with the youth?

Reactions: lancepitlick

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Geez ... it's better than nothing & if they are able to get two first rd picks they could put them together to move up. Lots of options, people don't have to be so negative, add a player/prospect with a first to move up. Or maybe they hit a home run with a player who goes later, tons of examples of that. It doesn't have to be all gloom & doom.

The team is terrible this yr with Karlsson on it, what makes people think it would be any better with him in the lineup next season? He may never be the player he was again & Ottawa will probably suck for a few yrs. Especially if they are moving a lot of players around him, why not trade him & get as much as possible back & go with the youth?

I’m fine with optimism, but it’s going to take some time for me to be able to look on the bright side of this one.

We’re in a bad situation. There may not be another team in the NHL in a worse situation, as it stands.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
With Karlsson on his way out and Duchene not signing (why would he lol) and traded next February we'd be losing three top-2 line centers and one elite D in one year. Incredible. :laugh:

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
lol the drama of this board is quite amusing to be honest

All that happened yet is :

- cup-of-coffee player Gabriel Dumont picked up off waivers, acquired off waivers in the first place

- 28 y/o Chris Didomenico who played in Europe mostly has been traded for 23 y/o Ville Pokka, D-man with good potential not long ago

- Dion Phaneuf heavy contract dumped for a cheaper contract, and a swap of 4th line centers, acquiring Nick Shore, younger, cheaper and better at this point

- Derrick Brassard, 31 y/o next training camp, traded for a goalie with star potential, a late 1st and a solid #5 D-man on a Cup champion team (who will then be flipped for a decent asset or 2)

Nothing dramatic happened outside of the fact that Ottawa is a very weak hockey market. That’s what Sens fans should be worried about. The only thing that is going to save this team from another relocation is the arena downtown. Well hopefully, because would it be enough if the Sens were to suck for years like the Leafs or Oilers did/do for example?

You can blame the GM all you want, but the GM is executing orders, which is saving money all the time. I am really not a Dorion fan but he has a tougher job that most other GMs with a lower budget and salary restrictions when trading. Of course, the trades would look better on paper if he was the one burning money in the process

You can blame the owner all you want, but a business has to be profitable after all. Didn’t he save the franchise from Bankrupt in the first place? I really don’t think he’s likeable as a person but as a businessman I really don’t see why he should sacrifice his own wealth for the good of people insulting him left and right?

When you can’t fill up a Canadian arena in the playoffs, that’s what is really dramatic here and to the owner, it had to be very alarming considering how good that season was for the lower budget small market Sens

I think his plan is to sell once the new arena is underway (or almost done) and cash in on the initial investment. Hopefully it’s a wealthier group acquiring the team (and will support the team financially in tough years) but don’t be surprised if they eventually threaten for relocation if the business is not more profitable, particularly after a heavy investment with an arena downtown

Now I think some people should really take a break from this, and come back a bit more relaxed. The insults left and right are hilariously ridiculous

You just won the internet!
*Slow Claps*
This is 100% truth.
I was going to write a long winded post of affirmation, but you don’t need it.

Reactions: Xspyrit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad