Ottawa Senators : Darkest Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Paraphrasing, but supposedly Dorion was having a meeting with the team in the dressing room and felt disrespected by a certain group of players. Talk of said players turning up the volume of the music while he speaking.

I guess the contention is that Karlsson had become openly insubordinate.
If that's the case and it was Karlsson then I am happy to get rid of him. If it was other guys then get rid of them. Entitled little brats.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Just a reminder, we do have our first round pick this year (if we want it). We simply do not have both this year's and next year's. We have one of them. It is our choice as to which one we give to COL so long as we are picking in the top 10 this year, which we will be.

The concern is next year IMO. This rebuild is not going to be good for next year's pick and it looks like that pick could be a lottery pick, if the rumours are true and we move Karlsson and go full rebuild.

I was talking about next year

CommonSens

May 14, 2017
So if this is about needing to ditch Karlsson for hockey/culture reasons, what’s with attaching Ryan’s contract? Wouldn’t that harm the return as well?

The team doesn’t care about the return.
Getting rid of Ryans contract isnt going to be pretty I'm guessing down right impossible given his recent history. Attaching it to Karlssons will make it easier to swallow.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This is why I find it so funny that 80% of the Sens forum is up in arms saying we never tried to build a winning team around EK. Such short memories...
I think fans are up in arms at the fact that what they tried didn't work and they didn't have a contingency plan. Some of the moves were questionable.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
If that's the case and it was Karlsson then I am happy to get rid of him. If it was other guys then get rid of them. Entitled little brats.
There has to be a trigger for employees of a company to be insubordinate. Given all accounts most of the guys in the locker room are standup guys without any attitude problems.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
@Variable26

I guess it depends on your definition if all in. In my opinion, it means mortgaging your future picks and increasing salary to substantially increase your roster. The Duchene trade would have been all in if they had kept Turris as well. It was more lateral, even though I would agree Duchene is the better player

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
There has to be a trigger for employees of a company to be insubordinate. Given all accounts most of the guys in the locker room are standup guys without any attitude problems.

Guess what? Some employees aren't good guys and takes very little to set them off. And as you said "most of the guys"; not all!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This is nothing new.
Hossa demanded (and got) market value. Traded.
Havlat asked for market value. Traded.
Chara asked for market value. Let walk as a FA.
Alfie.... stayed for years under market value. They never bothered to pay the man, so he left.

The only difference this time is everybody knows Karlsson is a sure-fire HOFer and if thats not enough to finally say "Ok fine. Market value is totally fair." then what is?
The cap was brought in when we had to sign Chara and redden it wasnt realistic to sign both at the time

Havlat wanted more than his value 6mill at that time for him was crazy and we dodged a bullet on that one

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
@Variable26

I guess it depends on your definition if all in. In my opinion, it means mortgaging your future picks and increasing salary to substantially increase your roster. The Duchene trade would have been all in if they had kept Turris as well. It was more lateral, even though I would agree Duchene is the better player
You have to give to get. Getting a top center like Duchene is so hard in this leaguel

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
@Variable26

OK so think this through. 1) How do they make a trade for Duchene by losing no one off their roster and 2) how do they fit his salary under the cap without losing a salary off their roster?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The thing that gets me, is we pretty much went "all in" to get Duchene. Why? We knew Brass was going to miss some time, and we knew it would be a long time for Erik to get back to 100% (if he does)....so why the urgency? If they really thought Turris was going to walk, they could still get a great package for him at the trade deadline. Why not wait for awhile to see how things shake out with the team?

And even now....moving Brass, and possibly moving other core players...why blow it up now? Why not see how well Duchene develops chemistry with Hoff, how White & Chabot develop, how Erik looks at the end of the year (or even in October), before making a big move? What if Andy figures things out by April? What if things start to come around by the end of the year?

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
OK so think this through. 1) How do they make a trade for Duchene by losing no one off their roster and 2) how do they fit his salary under the cap without losing a salary off their roster?

1) My first post: mortgaging the future. Picks/prospects. Did you read? Who did Nashville give away to get Turris that severely affected their team? Nobody.

2) Pittsburgh literally just traded for Brassard in a 3 team trade at 40 percent retention from a third party team to keep them under the cap and you're actually asking me this considering our own team was involved in it?

Look. All I'm saying is I don't feel it was an all-in trade. Feel free to disagree

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
It's seriously at the point where I need a different hobby or sport to keep me distracted from everything that is shit with this organization. I can't commit myself to care about another NHL team, so right now my hopes lie with the Raptors.

So far just because the inept of this ownership and management we have lost the following players

Alfie
Spezza
Alfie again
Methot
Turris
And now Karlsson.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad