OT: Ottawa food thread!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I used to go to Art Is In for pastries during the small period where Beyond The Pale had moved just beside AND were still the best brewery in the area AND there was absolutely nothing like Saison Tropicale. But then other brewries were established. And then I learned of some stuff. And then some really good pastry shops opened in my area. And then a Quebec brewery (not from the area) started shelving a beer that has all I liked from Saison Tropicale, but was also a bit funkier and slightly less bitter. Which meant I'm never going there again.

RealSpartan

Nov 2, 2016
Actually crispy timbits*
They’re called “Loukoumades”. A Greek dessert.

Mr. Puffs is from Mtl. They have all sorts of crazy flavours but the classic Greek loukoumades are honey drizzled and often sprinkled with crushed walnuts.

Mr. Puffs is alright but the best regularly available loukoumades in the city, apart from my mom’s house, are at Nutty Greek. Made to order, made by Greeks who know what they’re doing. If you don’t want the honey drizzled then get sugar and spice. Fantastic.

Greekfest also makes fantastic loukoumades. That’s because they made by volunteer Greek ladies who know what they’re doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: StoicSensFan

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Holey Confections is a pretty amazing take on a donut. Very different, and very big, a 5$ donut, but well worth the experience

Reactions: Bileur

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
I'm sure it's been mentioned already but DreamLand Cafe has all kinds of delicious pasta. Bonus: it's one of the most unique looking restaurants in the city.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Also have to give props to Chips and Dairy on Bank street. Not exactly somewhere I'd bring a date but it's the only place where you can find Chinese food (pretty cheap too) , classic American fast food, poutine and ice cream in the same place.

Would definitely give it a shot if you're a fan of Chinese food but don't want to drop 80$ to feed two people.

Very Very unique and there's a sizeable seating area inside too.

Reactions: coladin

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ever tried OCCO Kitchen?
yes. It was just okay. I appreciate it's made from scratch but i didn't find it above other pub type grub. I haven't been there in a few years (covid) but it's menu items don't really inspire frequent return visits. Nothing wrong with the food though and I would say it's one of the better restaurants in Orleans for the type of food they serve..

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Also have to give props to Chips and Dairy on Bank street. Not exactly somewhere I'd bring a date but it's the only place where you can find Chinese food (pretty cheap too) , classic American fast food, poutine and ice cream in the same place.

Would definitely give it a shot if you're a fan of Chinese food but don't want to drop 80$ to feed two people.

I was just about to post about Chips and Dairy just recently discovered it and it now my goto place for Chinese food, as you say not that expensive and you get big helpings, enough for at least 2 meals. Also they are very fast with their orders, when i phone in they say ready in 10 minutes, as i live in Greely i have to say cany you make it 15.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
yes. It was just okay. I appreciate it's made from scratch but i didn't find it above other pub type grub. I haven't been there in a few years (covid) but it's menu items don't really inspire frequent return visits. Nothing wrong with the food though and I would say it's one of the better restaurants in Orleans for the type of food they serve..
Damn I looked at their menu today and it's definitely changed since I've gone. They had a street corn app which was really good, not there anymore

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I was just about to post about Chips and Dairy just recently discovered it and it now my goto place for Chinese food, as you say not that expensive and you get big helpings, enough for at least 2 meals. Also they are very fast with their orders, when i phone in they say ready in 10 minutes, as i live in Greely i have to say cany you make it 15.
If you're ever looking to try something different, Sing Hing is another great Chinese place that delivers to Greely.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Fritomania definitely has one of the best poutines in Ottawa. They cook their fries in peanut oil, use St. Alberts cheese curds and use a rich brown gravy. The gravy is the most important part. Went to Smoke's Poutinerie last week and it is straight garbage. Curds where trash and the gravy is trash. Waste of 10 dollars.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
One time I had the best poutine ever at Elgin Street Diner, then the cook came over and apologized that they got the ingredients wrong for the gravy. :confused:

Gotta try Fritomania

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Used to live in that neck of the woods. Very underrated and agree on all counts. The only thing is after kids soccer you better eat and run because for whatever reason, the mosquitoes are always atroicous there!

Reactions: SquidNasty

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'm gonna throw out some recommendations, in no particular order or theme (but not including ones that have been named already):

Edgar
Supply and Demand
Farinella's
Poissonerie Rayan
Pho Hoan
Shawarma Palace
Soif (not so much for the food, although pretty good, but for the wine)
Trattoria Caffe Italia (their wine list pricing and selection of back vintages is arguably the hidden gem of Ontario - food is ok)
BITE burgers

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Fritomania definitely has one of the best poutines in Ottawa. They cook their fries in peanut oil, use St. Alberts cheese curds and use a rich brown gravy. The gravy is the most important part. Went to Smoke's Poutinerie last week and it is straight garbage. Curds where trash and the gravy is trash. Waste of 10 dollars.
Smokes poutine was never good and is the most overhyped food chain ever.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

yusefstiles

Oct 9, 2007
Ottawa
There's a great founder's story about Chips & Dairy.

The owner originally owned a chip-wagon on the other side of Bank street called Dairy King.

After he sold the business he opened Chips & Dairy across the street and put the Dairy King out of business because his fries were so much better.

Reactions: SquidNasty

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There's a great founder's story about Chips & Dairy.

The owner originally owned a chip-wagon on the other side of Bank street called Dairy King.

After he sold the business he opened Chips & Dairy across the street and put the Dairy King out of business because his fries were so much better.
That doesn't seem like a great story.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So I tried the Halifax donair from Centretown pizza based on the recommendations in here, and can confirm it's great! Mind you I'd never had Halifax donair before, so I don't have a reference point.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
So I tried the Halifax donair from Centretown pizza based on the recommendations in here, and can confirm it's great! Mind you I'd never had Halifax donair before, so I don't have a reference point.
Yes I meant to ask before...what makes a Halifax donair a Halifax donair?

I commented on having Romeo's donairs for years about 35 years ago and they were awesome but haven't had many since - what is unique about Halifax style?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yes I meant to ask before...what makes a Halifax donair a Halifax donair?

I commented on having Romeo's donairs for years about 35 years ago and they were awesome but haven't had many since - what is unique about Halifax style?
Based on my single experience having one, the main difference is the sauce, which is sweet. On the pita, other than the meat, you have some onions and tomatoes. The sauce takes the sting out of the onions nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad