OT: Ottawa food thread!

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I like a place in Hull called Hull Pizza.
The place does not look that good from the outside, but I like the pizza there.
I have only eaten poutine once in my life. It was pretty good at this place in Hull called La Pataterie Hulloise.
I like eating at Madison's in Ottawa.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
For all of those who recommended Light of India: what do you usually order there? I like their tandoori chicken, and I've had a couple of curries, but haven't ventured into other things much.

The « usual » in our house is
- Butter chicken
- lamb Rogan Josh (used to be vindaloo but my digestive tract can’t take that much heat anymore)
- begun bhaji (eggplant curry, quite nice)
- beef or shrimp bhoona depending on what we’re feeling
- three orders of samosas
- naan
- rice

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pizza: Heartbreakers and OG Colonnade on Metcalfe/Gilmour (heard it's gone downhill though)
Indian: Light of India (I order 75% of my takeout from here) and East India Company
Tacos: El Camino and OCCO (Orleans location, not downtown, makes all the difference)
Shawarma: Palace (on Rideau, the other locations are trash by comparison) and Maroush (Gatineau)

Not sure where to categorize it, but The Belmont was probably the most surprising meal I've had in Ottawa. Went with an array of stuff and it was all amazing. The trini doubles were one of the best things thing I've ever eaten. Haven't had anything comparable before or since.

EDIT: Best fries/poutine is Fritomania and I will absolutely die on this hill.
I’ll try Fritomania poutine but you need to try La Pataterie Hullouse.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
What about wierd spots or places you wouldn't go to or go again? Lol.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Bistro Mexicana 129 in Aylmer is just terrible. Which is a shame because I love mexican food and it has live music in the summer.

St. Louis on Elgin gave the worst service in my life so I won't go back again. Food isn't great either so it's not a loss. :)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Malone's at Dows was a hole, but it's understandably no longer there.

Bistro Mexicana 129 in Aylmer is just terrible. Which is a shame because I love mexican food and it has live music in the summer.

I'll just jump in and say that most Mexican food in Ottawa ranges from terrible to mediocre at best. If an authentic and delicious taco truck showed up in Ottawa I'd likely be able to fund them for a few months on my own.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I'll just jump in and say that most Mexican food in Ottawa ranges from terrible to mediocre at best. If an authentic and delicious taco truck showed up in Ottawa I'd likely be able to fund them for a few months on my own.
You should try Aztec Tacos on Montreal road, I apologize to your bank account in advance.

Reactions: stempniaksen

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Anyone looking for a fantastic halifax donair - Centretown pizza on Bronson. Every time I cross the bridge into Ottawa I make a stop there and get a couple to go.

Reactions: DrEasy

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Have you tried Mexigo Cabana on Walkley? Only had from there a few times but they’ve constantly over delivered IMO. Way better grub than you’d expect from such a non-descript little food truck.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Try Casa Mexico on Merivale. Hole in the wall and I haven’t been in about 2 years but it was really good.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
The donairs at Romeo's on Merivale are sliced fresh off the big spit. However, I am eager to try the donairs at Centretown pizza.
I looked up the images on the internet and they are enticing me!

Reactions: boourns and DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The donairs at Romeo's on Merivale are sliced fresh off the big spit. However, I am eager to try the donairs at Centretown pizza.
I looked up the images on the internet and they are enticing me!
Yup, Centretown Pizza is my next destination as well, had no idea they had Halifax donair!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Buddy, you have to try taco bell box meals! Lmao

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Where do you go for a good steak in Ottawa or Gatineau?
No where is consistently good. Having said that, I was at the Stittsville Keg location a couple weeks ago and had one of the best steaks I’ve ever had which completely shocked me, since it’s usually meh.

I recommend you just get a great cut and cook the steak sous vide at home and do a quick sear in a cast iron pan. Perfect steak every time. It takes patience but it’s worth it. I’ve included a great link to guide you.

Sous Vide Steak Guide | The Food Lab

A great Steakhouse is made by the sides provided I’m partial to a creamed spinach, loaded baked potato and maple bacon broiled Brussel sprouts.

Now I’m hungry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad