Confirmed with Link: Ottawa "fans" believe the hype and go over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If I were Dorion, I would throw out a 2 or 3year extension at max dollars and buy some time.

Karlsson and his agent would look at each other, briefly, then burst into laughter, get up and walk out of the negotiations.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Reminds me of that time a guy owned 1.5 billion in a companies stock that he founded, waited until the stock was worth a few hundred million, sold, and then watched the stock value climb back to 1.5 billion.

Oh wait, I even found a quote for why the guy had to leave the company to begin with:

"repeatedly overstated earnings and hid losses in order to deceive investors and create the appearance of achieving earnings goals. When it ultimately became impossible to continue concealing the company's inability to meet its own earnings guidance, Biovail actively misled investors and analysts about the reasons for the company's poor performance"

Okay sure, maybe he would lie to securities commissions that could actually lead to jail time, but the fans, no, never......this is a guy we can trust.

And yet people lose their minds when we suggest that Mr. Melnyk can't be trusted to paint an accurate picture of the team and arena's financial situation.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don’t think they made up any thing but I do believe they were intentional misleading.

Reactions: coladin

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
There are two sides to this.

Those who think it was made up by media and others.

Those who believe what insiders have been saying.

He's the former.

I just can't throw aside decades of integrity and insight because it involves a negative outcome for us. That's just complete ignorance.

You can believe both, as I do.

It was exaggerated, there was maybe a 5% chance he was going to be traded and I'm sure they knew that. They will throw out 50/50 because it sounds better, but it's essentially the same thing.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I agree with basically all of this except those last 2 lines.

Karlsson will get a max deal. He may if he chooses, to help the Sens a bit, but it won't be in term, it will be in how the salary is structured.

This is Karlsson's only shot at that massive 8 year deal, that won't be there for him when he is 30+

I think long term his dollar value would be lower than a shorter term, higher annual salary. It gives both sides some breathing room while Erik gets paid, and Melnyk and Co. feels he is going to return to form. I personally am more worried about how Karlsson is playing right now and whether he can be the player he used to be last year.

If he doesn't take the 8, does it not go down to a 7?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Can you explain your reasoning re: the bolded statement?

His rebuttal last night on the pre-game show, calling people stupid and IQ of less than 35 if you didn't believe the hype, and so on. He was basically calling out people in Ottawa who felt this was clickbait for the TDL show. As angry a statement I have heard from him. Which is why the Shakespearean quote from Hamlet fits in well.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
There are two sides to this.

Those who think it was made up by media and others.

Those who believe what insiders have been saying.

He's the former.

I just can't throw aside decades of integrity and insight because it involves a negative outcome for us. That's just complete ignorance.

It's not a question, to me, of "making up". I don't think that, but always felt that they exaggerated the actuality of this happening, to their benefit.

I don't think anyone who feeds off "sources" , usually anonymous, are not exposed to the questioning of their integrity. We see that in real journalism as well, and again, there are many journalists who have integrity, but you can go to CNN and FOX and find those that clearly lack it. And for Bob, I lost a little bit of respect for him.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Dorion saying “if he’s still here July 1st, we will make him an offer” all but confirms that they’re shopping him and plan to deal him.

You don’t talk about an elite star like that if he’s in your plans long-term.

I think we always need to remember that Pierre Dorion is an absolute moron in terms of PR and media relations. The guy is the king of saying everything 92% correctly but leaving just a crack for the media and fans to pounce on.

If he switched "if" to "when" then there's no conversation to be had. He's just too stupid to realize this. For all we know, he may not have meant anything by the word "if".

Owner is stupid with the media.
GM is stupid with the media.

No wonder rumours swirl like a hurricane around this team.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I also think there was more than one pundit that put the "Odds" for a Karlsson trade at 50/50, which I did not think was the case, but it sure helped fill programing for the sports networks and sport radio stations.

Also there is no play, by Shakespeare, that has the line "thou doth protest too much methinks" in it.... the line, that is commonly misquoted is actually "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Don't really care! You got my drift but thanks for the Shakespearean correction!:laugh:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Dorion saying “if he’s still here July 1st, we will make him an offer” all but confirms that they’re shopping him and plan to deal him.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not doubting that they are planning on dealing him. I had my doubts about it happening at the deadline. There’s a reason no one mentioned that this could be setting up the framework of a potential off season deal until after the deadline.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

He also did say he wants him to be a Senator for life. I am also annoyed at the use of the word "if", and only Dorion knows why that carefully placed statement was put out there. That was no mistake on his wording. He knows what he is doing.

I actually believe he is going to use Karlsson's wife as leverage because he will use his comfort of being where his wife is from, with a baby on the way, as leverage for a long term deal. Whether it works or not, we shall see. I don't think that Dorion is happy with Karlsson's play and he is questioning if Karlsson is indeed a franchise player moving forward. He has known Karlsson, as he stated when was a 159lb kid, so their relationship may be more frank than many of us may think.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
He also did say he wants him to be a Senator for life. I am also annoyed at the use of the word "if", and only Dorion knows why that carefully placed statement was put out there. That was no mistake on his wording. He knows what he is doing.

I actually believe he is going to use Karlsson's wife as leverage because he will use his comfort of being where his wife is from, with a baby on the way, as leverage for a long term deal. Whether it works or not, we shall see. I don't think that Dorion is happy with Karlsson's play and he is questioning if Karlsson is indeed a franchise player moving forward. He has known Karlsson, as he stated when was a 159lb kid, so their relationship may be more frank than many of us may think.
I agree. Dorion is no idiot and he knows exactly what he is saying and doing. Is it the right thing? Time will tell but I don't have a good gut feeling about this...

At this point, there 2 options for a "success". Either Karlsson stays or the Sens hit an absolute homerun in a trade. There is nothing in between.

To your last pont, he said it a couple times that he hopes this was a wakeup call for all the players but I'm sure he had a few in particular in mind. How did the Sens play last? I didn't get a chance to watch the game.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
His rebuttal last night on the pre-game show, calling people stupid and IQ of less than 35 if you didn't believe the hype, and so on. He was basically calling out people in Ottawa who felt this was clickbait for the TDL show. As angry a statement I have heard from him. Which is why the Shakespearean quote from Hamlet fits in well.

That... doesn't really explain anything.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

tenor.gif

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
I agree. Dorion is no idiot and he knows exactly what he is saying and doing. Is it the right thing? Time will tell but I don't have a good gut feeling about this...

At this point, there 2 options for a "success". Either Karlsson stays or the Sens hit an absolute homerun in a trade. There is nothing in between.

To your last pont, he said it a couple times that he hopes this was a wakeup call for all the players but I'm sure he had a few in particular in mind. How did the Sens play last? I didn't get a chance to watch the game.

Then we had better pray he stays cause Dorion’s gonna get fleeced.

Reactions: billpo

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I see this thread is back to full speculation on what was said by the MLSE media. If you interpret everything with a positive mindset, everything is great. If you think the sky is falling...

Rumors_Extra-Gossip.jpg

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I see this thread is back to full speculation on what was said by the MLSE media. If you interpret everything with a positive mindset, everything is great. If you think the sky is falling...

Rumors_Extra-Gossip.jpg
Who would have thought? Everything is fine is you have a positive mindset, everything isn't fine when you don't. News at 11.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Rumors_Extra-Gossip.jpg

Ohhh, ok. Now I get it.

This thread is just about discussing SOME news, and only if it supports one side of a story.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm sure he doesn't have very strong feelings about one of staying or leaving. It would be good to move to a contender. It would be good to stay in Ottawa and build a family with his wife who is from Ottawa(?).

It's not like there are only negative things about playing for the Senators and staying in Ottawa. Most superstar players get re-signed by their teams.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You can believe both, as I do.

It was exaggerated, there was maybe a 5% chance he was going to be traded and I'm sure they knew that. They will throw out 50/50 because it sounds better, but it's essentially the same thing.

Dreger said it was 49/51 in the trade deadline preview show. ;)

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Here’s my two cents from down the 401... the “fan” base that is putting together all the negativity is making the entire fan base look like a bunch of whiny babies who don’t buy tickets to playoff games.

Focus on the positive! Use creativity to get your change... or continue with the negative mud slinging

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Here’s my two cents from down the 401... the “fan” base that is putting together all the negativity is making the entire fan base look like a bunch of whiny babies who don’t buy tickets to playoff games.

Focus on the positive! Use creativity to get your change... or continue with the negative mud slinging
Can you explain to me what this means, and how it pertains to this hockey clubs outlook? :laugh:

Love the "fans" shtick as well, really makes the message sing

Reactions: Deku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad