Confirmed with Link: Ottawa "fans" believe the hype and go over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Here’s my two cents from down the 401... the “fan” base that is putting together all the negativity is making the entire fan base look like a bunch of whiny babies who don’t buy tickets to playoff games.

Focus on the positive! Use creativity to get your change... or continue with the negative mud slinging
Tells people to be positive while gatekeeping and bashing people. Aha

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So let me get this straight now...

If you think Erik Karlsson is going to be traded ... as has been predicted by the media, and based on deducing what the parties involved have said .. that is negative.
and
If you think the Media is 100% full of it and that Erik loves it here and 100% unequivocally wants to stay, and that his GM and his owner both feel the same way and that any other option is virtually unthinkable .. that is positive.

Do I have this right?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
My feelings are that there were situations discussed, but nothing remotely close to what Dorion would need to make the trade. Not even close. I choose to believe that he wasn't actively shopping him and listening to offers, I can see Dorion saying, "don't even think about it unless we get....."

I don't think the hype was "fabricated" as McKenzie stated, but clearly exaggerated and exploited for their own personal reasons. The fact that he pushed back HARD on the pregame reminds me of Shakespeare's famous "thou doth protest too much methinks"

Go ahead and read/listen to those comments Mackenzie made today about people who refuse to believe what was happening. They were directed at you. I don't think anyone else on here can say it better and I for one am going to stop trying to argue with you posters who refuse to face reality.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Here’s my two cents from down the 401... the “fan” base that is putting together all the negativity is making the entire fan base look like a bunch of whiny babies who don’t buy tickets to playoff games.

Focus on the positive! Use creativity to get your change... or continue with the negative mud slinging

Keep you two cents on your side of the 401. No one thinks we're "whiny". They're finally starting to understand why fans in Ottawa are over this ownership and we're getting the sympathy we deserve for enduring this BS.

Reactions: Deku

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think Bobby Mac is a credible guy, but in this case I think he got caught up in the Karlsson hype, and also didn't want to appear out of the loop relative to his counterparts. Therefore, he hopped on the train with gusto.

My experience is that media types are REALLY sensitive to criticism. They all have pretty healthy egos, and get really huffy and ******** if anyone appears to be questioning their journalistic integrity. Bobby Mac's reaction is fairly typical of his profession...

No, Bob is just annoyed that people disregard reality and make up their own BS theories out of thin air.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
any reputable organization would have come out and put a stop to the rumors, and done some damage control, and not let it get to this point...what kind of organization wants to lose their fan base...this didn't happen...because it WAS true

Like Tampa did for Stamkos?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No, Bob is just annoyed that people disregard reality and make up their own BS theories out of thin air.

Bob himself said the Senators were not close to trading Karlsson.

So if they were never close to trading him yet the media discussed it ad nauseum then it's somewhat logical to conclude a fair bit of the discussion was media manufactured.

Clearly they were engaged in discussions but listening and being on the edge of pulling the trigger are different

I'v never seen the media having to defend the hype they create and EK's situation is unique enough that ultimately that's where they found themselves by Tuesday

Reactions: Variable26

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bob himself said the Senators were not close to trading Karlsson.

So if they were never close to trading him yet the media discussed it ad nauseum then it's somewhat logical to conclude a fair bit of the discussion was media manufactured.

Clearly they were engaged in discussions but listening and being on the edge of pulling the trigger are different

I'v never seen the media having to defend the hype they create and EK's situation is unique enough that ultimately that's where they found themselves by Tuesday

Vegas apparently thought they were close to landing Karlsson. They put off finalizing the deal for Tartar until pretty much 3:00 because it hinged on missing out on Karlsson. Don't think they'd do that if they didn't see a real potential for closing a deal for Karlsson.

When the Sens say they weren't close to a deal (and Bob repeats that message), it makes sense, because if they were close to a deal in the sens eyes, it probably would have happened. It also encourages those engaged in talks to step up their offers come this offseason if they still have interest.

It seems to me that in Bob's opinion, there were some very real and serious discussions wrt trading Karlsson. Ottawa had set a price, and either they weren't as flexible on that price as some analysts thought they'd be, or other teams didn't come as close to approaching that price as they thought they would. He also seems to think that some are suggesting none of this ever really happened, and it was all just fabrication by the media to drum up ratings. Basically, people are calling his integrity into question, which can have a tendency upsetting those whose career's hinge on their credibility.

Reactions: CanadianHockey

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
you sound like the guy who would buy the swamp land I'm selling in Florida....

You sound like the guy that originally bought the swamp land, and was fleeced, and is now trying to sell it.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Vegas apparently thought they were close to landing Karlsson. They put off finalizing the deal for Tartar until pretty much 3:00 because it hinged on missing out on Karlsson. Don't think they'd do that if they didn't see a real potential for closing a deal for Karlsson.

When the Sens say they weren't close to a deal (and Bob repeats that message), it makes sense, because if they were close to a deal in the sens eyes, it probably would have happened. It also encourages those engaged in talks to step up their offers come this offseason if they still have interest.

It seems to me that in Bob's opinion, there were some very real and serious discussions wrt trading Karlsson. Ottawa had set a price, and either they weren't as flexible on that price as some analysts thought they'd be, or other teams didn't come as close to approaching that price as they thought they would. He also seems to think that some are suggesting none of this ever really happened, and it was all just fabrication by the media to drum up ratings. Basically, people are calling his integrity into question, which can have a tendency upsetting those whose career's hinge on their credibility.

Agree. I think this whole "close", or "50/50", or "5%" or whatever is all semantics.

There are only three possible states:

- Not trading a player. Period (0%)
- Open to/negotiating trades on a player (1%-99%)
- Player is traded (100%)

So obviously we are in the middle. And that means they are legitimately open to a realistic trade. Because while any player in the first segment can be traded (ie: if Oilers called up any team in the league and offer McDavid+Draisaitl for one of their players the answer would be yes.) But there is no way PD is exposing Karlsson to the trade rumours ahead of trying to resign him if the only chance of a trade is an offer that has 0% chance of actually being offered.

So the sens are open to a realistic trade for Karlsson and fielded offers. How close were they?? Impossible to measure. If the deal needed one more 1st round pick, is that 95% close or 5% close. Who cares.

Again, all that really should matter is that the team is open to trading a generational/franchise player...and we really don't have any idea why.

To underscore this point, lets add a little context. Is Karlsson better than the following players at the end of his/their career?

- Miko Koivu/Marion Gaborik (Min)
- Shea Weber/PK Subban (Nash)
- Bure/Naslund/Sedins (Van)
- Jerome Iginla (Cal)
- Rick Nash (Clb)
- Bure (Fla)
- Shane Doan (Arz)

Debate some if you want but you will still be left with a handful of NHL teams that have NEVER in their history had a player as good as Karlsson. Yes we want to win a cup. But things can be worse. All these teams (Cal excl) have never won the cup AND have never had a generational talent like Karlsson. And yet Ottawa is willing to trade him away because either:

1) Team believe's it has better chance of winning spending the extra 4-5 mil in salary EK needs on other players.

2) Team believes EK wants to leave even though they haven't actually talked to him about it yet and despite his comments to the contrary.

That's it in my eyes. Maybe the team is right in both cases. But in the absence of clear communication from the team (long-term plan, stating publicly EKs demands) you can't blame fans and media from speculating both the best and the worst case scenarios.

Team could have put an end to it. They decided not to. The chaos that ensued is on them.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Go ahead and read/listen to those comments Mackenzie made today about people who refuse to believe what was happening. They were directed at you. I don't think anyone else on here can say it better and I for one am going to stop trying to argue with you posters who refuse to face reality.

OK?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It's obvious Erik was being shopped around. I don't see how anyone can deny it at this point.

I think they were listening to offers and other teams scrambling to find something that Dorion wanted. Shopping around to me is calling other GMs seeing if they want to make a trade for Karlsson, No one has said that. Not even the "Insiders". I do think that Dorion said any deal would have to include whatever he stated. Vegas offered all prospects, and I think personally that Dorion was yanking McPhee's chain having waste time on a deal to punish him for the Methot debacle.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There are two sides to this.

Those who think it was made up by media and others.

Those who believe what insiders have been saying.

He's the former.

I just can't throw aside decades of integrity and insight because it involves a negative outcome for us. That's just complete ignorance.

This thread really took it up a notch when this beauty slid by, immediately supported and run with by another poster.

You're either with us or against us! Us or the terrorists!

I know it's a crazy theory, and it definitely makes it more difficult to label and attack, but there may actually be more than two perspectives, and, wait for it..... NO SIDES!

I think that if we weren't talking about EK, and people didn't already feel the need to support their personal opinions to the dead, we would probably all be able to agree that respectable media generally takes a nugget of truth and packages it in a way that suits their purpose. Avoid lies, but control the delivery.

Bob was a part of the hoopla on TDL, and I think older folks expected a bit better from him given what his reputation was built on. However, Bob has had to adapt to keep up with the times, and offers his opinions on things as much, if not more, than facts that he has heard. He has a job to do/keep, and now everyone is doing it. You have to compete with every sports channel, every twitter twat, and every blogger and poster now for fan interest, something has to give.

Reactions: JD1

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
This thread really took it up a notch when this beauty slid by, immediately supported and run with by another poster.

You're either with us or against us! Us or the terrorists!

I know it's a crazy theory, and it definitely makes it more difficult to label and attack, but there may actually be more than two perspectives, and, wait for it..... NO SIDES!

I think that if we weren't talking about EK, and people didn't already feel the need to support their personal opinions to the dead, we would probably all be able to agree that respectable media generally takes a nugget of truth and packages it in a way that suits their purpose. Avoid lies, but control the delivery.

Bob was a part of the hoopla on TDL, and I think older folks expected a bit better from him given what his reputation was built on. However, Bob has had to adapt to keep up with the times, and offers his opinions on things as much, if not more, than facts that he has heard. He has a job to do/keep, and now everyone is doing it. You have to compete with every sports channel, every twitter ****, and every blogger and poster now for fan interest, something has to give.

Bob said consistently that he didn't think Karlsson would be traded by the deadline. That was the only opinion he really gave, the rest was reporting his sources' comments about interest and value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad