Ottawa/Detroit/New Jersey/Buffalo: Which team will breakout first?

what do you think?

• Total voters

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I’m easily taking the devils not because I think they have better prospects or core than the other 3, but because they aren’t in the blood bath that’s the Atlantic. I like Buffalo and my team in Detroit’s core long term over Ottawa’s. But I think ottawa definitely breaks out before us. The wings might tear down some of our team next year with potential trades in bertuzzi and others so look out.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
a massively declining devils team had a surprise appearance in the sc finals in 2012. they missed the po the next 5 seasons without adding any top tier talents (thanks lou and david) for ages. the 2018 po appearance in hischier's rookie season was again surprising and no break out.

you can easily say the devils are a lottery team for the last 10 seasons. but they added real talent rather late. the larsson pick was basically deferred by 9 seasons and turned then into mercer, bahl and hamburglar. the hischier pick 5 years ago is kind of the kick start for the devils rebuild. if they can't resolve the issues between in the net, this might drag along for much longer than intended.

I just think the difference is, the Devils have never really felt like they're trying to "tank". They've just had a bunch of years where they're very earnestly bad. I think that counts for something, in terms of team culture.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I just think the difference is, the Devils have never really felt like they're trying to "tank". They've just had a bunch of years where they're very earnestly bad. I think that counts for something, in terms of team culture.

Not sure it really matters for team cilture if a team tanked 5 or 10 years back.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I still think long term seider is the best player out of these 4 teams with Jack hughes being second, so I think the devils and wings have the highest potential based off of them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A portion of this debate will be settle once and for all tonight.

goodfellas-wiseguys.gif

Reactions: Bileur

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
No chance. Seider is dominant both ways.
Dahlin has been put in a toxic environment and thrived. The Wings are bad but the Sabres have been a different level of incompetence in the last 10 years.

Remember, there’s only one year age difference between them. Dahlin has had an amazing start to his career. Sky’s the limit. Nothing against Seider, of course, but Dahlin is on another level.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Plenty going around about how all Detroit, Buffalo and New Jersey needs is goaltending, and how Ottawa is clearly regressing with Detroit headed upward.

Buffoonery is not restricted to one fanbase.
I hesitate to make absolute statements, because there’s always one idiot…

But I seriously doubt there was a single Detroit fan that said all they need is goaltending.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Ottawa ends the season with a 8-1-0 record against these 3 other teams, and now currently have the most wins as well. Ottawa is currently the furthest along out of these 4 teams.

Reactions: Sting

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ottawa ends the season with a 8-1-0 record against these 3 other teams, and now currently have the most wins as well. Ottawa is currently the furthest along out of these 4 teams.
At the risk of repeating something that’s already been stated ad nauseam, exclusive record between these teams really doesn’t mean jack shit.

Detroit was undefeated against Montreal in their historically bad season. Montreal made up nearly 25% of their wins…

Montreal was in the Finals the very next year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Dahlin has been put in a toxic environment and thrived. The Wings are bad but the Sabres have been a different level of incompetence in the last 10 years.
In one post you talk about how terrible the Wings are and will be for years to come.
In the next you use Buffalo being bad as an excuse for Dahlin and reason to hold him over Seider.

Reactions: Crunchy

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
In one post you talk about how terrible the Wings are and will be for years to come.
In the next you use Buffalo being bad as an excuse for Dahlin and reason to hold him over Seider.
Buffalo has been a new level of bad/toxic development for over a decade. They seem to finally be out of it this season and hopefully into next season, too.

Detroit has been really bad since their out of character hot streak to begin the season into December, but they’re not on Buffalo’s level they were on for a 12 year stretch.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I still think long term seider is the best player out of these 4 teams with Jack hughes being second, so I think the devils and wings have the highest potential based off of them.
Stutzle will be better than Jack Hughes. I agree Seider likely ends up being the best.

-84 yikes a long way to go.

Reactions: Sting

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Detroit has blue chip prospects at every position, and they did so without scorching their entire core. Edvinsson, Seider, Raymond, Cossa are great building blocks, and the “b-level” prospects such as Wallinder, Sebrango, Berggren are great too. Pretty crazy to believe they amassed all these assets without trading away the likes of Larkin, Bertuzzi, Vrana/Mantha. It’s still early days for them, and I expect them to add more blue chip prospects and with the guidance from Yzerman be able to insulate them and put the pieces together to contend.

New Jersey really reminds me of basement dwelling NYR before they became competitive out of nowhere. They have a set of established players that are elite, and a great set of high end forwards. I really do think they will turn it around the fastest if they do it the right way. The pieces are there, and they have the advantage of not being in the Atlantic.
Hughes/Hischier is a great 1/2, Mercer is awesome, and that’s adding to Hamilton, Bratt, etc.

Ottawa basically are at the point where our core is essentially built. It’s going to be a prove it or move it phase soon. Pinto, Sanderson, Greig, Soogard, Sokolov, etc are reinforcements that are coming as soon as next year. And the emergence of Kastelic, Kelly on the fourth line are great. I really do think we have a good chance with turnover to really be a bubble team.

Buffalo, there really isn’t much to say here. Blue chip prospects everywhere and running Dahlin/Power on the backend for the next decade with Cozens/Thompson/Krebs down the middle is pretty scary to be completely honest. Still hate them for taking Peterka when that should’ve been the slam dunk pick for Senators though.

In terms of quickness:

1. Devils
Established pros, the most polished team, advantage of not being in the Atlantic and it’s hard to go against Hughes/Hischier down the middle

2. Senators
We’re going to be adding a lot of players into the mix next year, and our players are going to take the next step next year. A full year of Stützle at his current play is franchise changing.

3. Buffalo
Too many prospects and high end talent, especially from the back end to not succeed. Unfortunately they just don’t have the pro personnel that the other teams have to bolster them.

4. Red Wings
It feels absolutely criminal to have them last, they have my favourite crop of prospects. I think them being behind in terms of length of rebuild hurts them here. Seider/Stützle are probably going to be the most effective players out of the teams.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Remember, there’s only one year age difference between them. Dahlin has had an amazing start to his career. Sky’s the limit. Nothing against Seider, of course, but Dahlin is on another level.
Dahlin would be the best defenseman of all time if he was “on another level.” Calm down. There is nobody in the NHL who’s potential is “on another level” from Seider right now.
Dahlin is better offensively but Seider is much more physical and better defensively. They will duke it out through their careers

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Buffalo has been a new level of bad/toxic development for over a decade. They seem to finally be out of it this season and hopefully into next season, too.

Detroit has been really bad since their out of character hot streak to begin the season into December, but they’re not on Buffalo’s level they were on for a 12 year stretch.
What does it matter how bad they were in the past?
Since 2015, Detroit has 3 points more than Buffalo.
Since 2016, Detroit has been worse.

Dahlin definitely hasn't been put in the easiest situation to succeed, but neither has Seider.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Why? People love to use Kruger as the reason for Buffalos players not developing properly. Well guess who has the worst coach in the league now ? The Wings. Thankfully that’s about to change

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Stutzle will be better than Jack Hughes. I agree Seider likely ends up being the best.

-84 yikes a long way to go.
Doubt it. Stutzle scores half his points on the PP - as that unit improves in NJ Hughes will pad his stats even more. Stutzle had a better sophomore year than Hughes, but I don't think he puts up Hughes numbers next season that Hughes did this one. Five on five impact isn't even close, and that was true even last season when Hughes didn't have the production to show for it.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Detroit, they have Larkin, Raymond, Sieder, Vrana they are building a good young team although I do wonder if Ned is the guy in net.

Ottawa's Ownership is to murky to have a shot at this

NJ is just plain bad

Buffalpo has to show some level or progress before they can considered for this.

It's Detroit easily.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Doubt it. Stutzle scores half his points on the PP - as that unit improves in NJ Hughes will pad his stats even more. Stutzle had a better sophomore year than Hughes, but I don't think he puts up Hughes numbers next season that Hughes did this one. Five on five impact isn't even close, and that was true even last season when Hughes didn't have the production to show for it.
Hughes can't stay healthy, Stutzle is way more physical, has a higher compete level and is outproducing Hughes at the same age both as a rookie and as a sophmore. This is the devils fans other excuse other than goaltending I see. Now it's blame the pp coach.

I wouldn't trade Stutzle for Hughes under any circumstances. Hughes has better linemates too. Hilarious concept that players points are worth less because they are on the pp. I am also skeptical to see if Hughes can produce in the playoffs he doesn't take the puck to the net like Stutzle either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad