Ottawa and LA, only 2 teams remaining without a regulation loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Weird, then if you go to points percentage on NHL page, they are ranked second in the league behind LA, which makes more sense.

Tied for 2nd with 5 other teams, 3 of which are those 3 teams "ahead" of them in the atlantic. If the NHL page ranked teams by point % they would still list the Sens 4th because of a 4 way tie for 1st broken by ROW.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
LA beat the Flyers who were playing their second game in 2 nights, San Jose & Buffalo who are bad and they lost to calgary in OT.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I was saying for a long time how Sutter ran his course in LA after 2015. Great coach, but he's got a shelf-life, probably cost LA a playoff spot last year. They look much better this year.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The point of this thread is to point out 2 teams who people thought were going to be awful are still undefeated. I know it is early in the season but you cannot deny Ottawa and LA are off to a good start.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You remind me of Leaf fans circa 2013. Good times.

And yet they said the same thing last year about the Sens, and yet they went to 2OT with the Pens in ECF...

Corsi is honestly the worst stat out there imo, if only because it's trumpeted the loudest.

Look at the shots that Edmonton and Calgary got on Ottawa the last two nights. A very small percentage of them were high quality. The rest were complete fluff.

I was there at both games, I know this for sure.

And lastly, no one needed advanced stats to tell you that the Leafs sucked that year and were very lucky early on.

They were never playing a dominant defensively structured game like the Sens have been since mid way through last season.

The Sens are doing this all without a 30 min top 3 player/ #1D, as a small footnote to this all.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Their shot attempts against are dead last.

Yeah...That guy named Karlsomething likes to shoot the puck, from what they say. Possible correlation to him being out? Guess we'll see.

Edit: also just read that he generates a lot of offense in general. Neat.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
And yet they said the same thing last year about the Sens, and yet they went to 2OT with the Pens in ECF...

Corsi is honestly the worst stat out there imo, if only because it's trumpeted the loudest.

Look at the shots that Edmonton and Calgary got on Ottawa the last two nights. A very small percentage of them were high quality. The rest were complete fluff.

And lastly, no one needed advanced stats to tell you that the Leafs sucked that year and were very lucky early on.

They were never playing a dominant defensively structured game like the Sens have been since mid way through last season.

The Sens are doing this all without a 30 min top 3 player/ #1D, as a small footnote to this all.

Fine you want to factor in shot quality? xG does that quite nicely. Sens were 19th in 5 on 5 xGF% last year and in a very small sample they've also 19th this year too. It's 20th(last year) and 15th(this year) when you factor in all situations. It's not as bad as their Corsi stats, but it's outside the playoff range.

They're not a terrible team, but they're one that the numbers suggest might make the playoffs, and they might not. Lucky plays a pretty big role in hockey, especially in a small sample like 4 to 7 games. Anyone who makes the playoffs could win it, all you have to do is get in.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

This isn't true at all. Edmonton had 15 high danger scoring chances and ottawa had 4

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Fine you want to factor in shot quality? xG does that quite nicely. Sens were 19th in 5 on 5 xGF% last year and in a very small sample they've also 19th this year too. It's 20th(last year) and 15th(this year) when you factor in all situations. It's not as bad as their Corsi stats, but it's outside the playoff range.

They're not a terrible team, but they're one that the numbers suggest might make the playoffs, and they might not. Lucky plays a pretty big role in hockey, especially in a small sample like 4 to 7 games. Anyone who makes the playoffs could win it, all you have to do is get in.

No. I don't want to factor any of what your saying in.

I want to factor in missing our best player and #1D man and offensive threat.

And then I want to factor in results. Sens have been winning since last season and playoffs. Whatever your poor reasons are for it happening, I don't personally care.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No. I don't want to factor any of what your saying in.

I want to factor in missing our best player and #1D man and offensive threat.

And then I want to factor in results. Sens have been winning since last season and playoffs. Whatever your poor reasons are for it happening, I don't personally care.
Sounds like you don't watch the games. You just check the box scores

Reactions: Arizonan God

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I didn't realize Ottawa was missing your best player and #1D man and offensive threat the entire year last year. My bad. Can't wait to see who this player that is better than Erik Karlsson is. Carry on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I didn't realize Ottawa was missing your best player and #1D man and offensive threat the entire year last year. My bad. Can't wait to see who this player that is better than Erik Karlsson is. Carry on.

Thread title --> Ottawa and LA, only 2 teams remaining without a regulation loss

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Sounds like you don't watch the games. You just check the box scores

I was at ice level at the Calgary game, and Row 12 in Edmonton. I saw the games very clearly.

So did their fans at the game. Their teams got trounced, and they had no life (but were great sports about it all - class acts both them). Ottawa played the perfect road game both nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinC22

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sens are not a fun team to play against. And when they have some hot hands going offensively, they're really tough to beat for anyone. Looks like the team even has more confidence in the system this year. With EK this is a 100 point team for sure. I think the top 3 in the Atlantic is already shaping up, Tampa Toronto and Ottawa all have something the rest don't.

LA seems to have found some new offense and key guys like Kopitar and Brown look better than last year + Quick is back. I personally still don't think they're more than a bubble team. For me they're basically replacing the Sharks as that potential WC team from the pacific. Kings are interesting team because they're only a couple pieces away from being back to contending status. Top 6 winger being on the top of that list. And with 4-5M in cap space, you never know if they make a deal with Vegas or something at the TDL, which, they're probably going to look to do to make up for last year and try to have some success to keep Doughty happy.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Lol dude. We made the ECF and went to game 7 20T with that Dman, who had a shattered heal. And it was year #1 with a new coach, which can be painful right???

Carry on...

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
To all the analytics being brought up in this thread.. They COULD be a potential indicator for future troubles but as of right now, the stats and results that are actually happening are just fine for anyone who roots for the Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad