Ottawa and LA, only 2 teams remaining without a regulation loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Boy, you can come up with all kinds of statistical gymnastics to try and fit your narrative.

Yes, I am assuming that closer refers to the fact that the series was decided in a single, final game, and not only that, but in double overtime.

Closer in that the differential in games won was 1 game, as opposed to 2 games.

Closer in that, even had Toronto won one more of those overtime games, they still would have had to win another game to win the series.

A game in which could have very well resulted in a blowout, one way or another, but we'll never know because the series never got to that point because it wasn't close enough.

Riiiigggghhhtttt.....it was a whole lot of gymnastics stating a series in which 100% of the games were decided by one goal and 83% were settled in overtime was "close".

Good Lord.

"Oh but the imaginary game might have been a blowout so let's throw the actual results out the window!! Like for reals! It totally would have happened. AINEC!!!"

If the queen had nuts she'd be king. Sadly for her......

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Riiiigggghhhtttt.....it was a whole lot of gymnastics stating a series in which 100% of the games were decided by one goal and 83% were settled in overtime was "close".

Right, the Sens lost 3 out of 4 games in the Stanley Cup finals by one goal scored in the third period and no one here is calling it close.

I agree that the Leafs/Washington series is about as close as it gets for a six game series.

That doesn't make it closer than a seven game series.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Right, the Sens lost 3 out of 4 games in the Stanley Cup finals by one goal scored in the third period and no one here is calling it close.

I agree that the Leafs/Washington series is about as close as it gets for a six game series.

That doesn't make it closer than a seven game series.

Sure thing. Love those 4 goal blowouts. Real tight affair.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Are Leafs fans really in a thread, that is not about the Leafs, trying to argue that a 6-game ousting in the first round is somehow better than losing in a game 7 2OT conference final?

Go back to reading SportsFoxNewsNet, if you need your daily propaganda dose. There's too much reality here.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I do think Ottawa is under rated. I have a friend that moved to Ottawa about 6 years ago and while he is not a huge hockey fan, he does pay attention. Even last year he was of the mind that Karlsson was not really a super star, just a star. He has, even now a pretty mediocre impression of the Sens. My guess is that he gets his impression from TSN and Sportsnet rather than watching them on TV.

I think that the media overlooks the team due to the regional coverage. They simply get buried by TO and Montreal. Last year`s run was also considered fluky due to poor advanced stats, an old goaltender and people like to find a dropper, a team that will return to the norm (based on the advanced stats), so Ottawa became the consensus dropper pick.

I certainly thought they were better than expectations and I picked Montreal as my "dropper".

Ottawa's vulnerability is their lack of depth at forward. Lose a couple of guys and it could be problematic.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
My issue is users like Kamiccolo coming here contributing nothing but arguments.

Like, why are you even commenting here? No one cares that you think the Sens fans are acting like "we've just won a cup", when I can't find a single post that does. It is an accomplishment if of itself to be one of two teams to not lose in regulation. That's 29 teams who are not in that position if you have difficulty with math.

General consensus is that the Sens are "lucky", when it can be argued that we are actually a very solid team, capable of contending even (since we did last year if you need help remembering).

We also aren't in the same situation as the Leafs. We have been in the playoffs 3 times in the last 5 years. That suggests consistency that doesn't require the same "patience" that it takes to label where the current team places league wide that it would take for the Leafs. I don't know what team you represent, I am just assuming the Leafs because you have been commenting about them in this thread, but you need to look at the facts objectively here.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Are Leafs fans really in a thread, that is not about the Leafs, trying to argue that a 6-game ousting in the first round is somehow better than losing in a game 7 2OT conference final?

Go back to reading SportsFoxNewsNet, if you need your daily propaganda dose. There's too much reality here.

No actually if you put your reading cap on you'll decipher what was actually said.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Imagine how close it would have been if the Leafs had won more than 2 games.

Would have liked to see that Game 7.

As it is, the Leafs were never on the verge of eliminating the Capitals.

Yet the series itself was quite arguably closer. I suppose managing to surrender 35+ shots four games in a row and 45% more shots against over that span is pretty tight though. Not that shots are the be all but like the scores, a lot more of a gap in one series than the other.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yet the series itself was quite arguably closer. I suppose managing to surrender 35+ shots four games in a row and 45% more shots against over that span is pretty tight though. Not that shots are the be all but like the scores, a lot more of a gap in one series than the other.

If shot differential was the mechanism by which teams advanced through the playoffs, you'd have an excellent point.

As it is, it's the number of wins.

Maybe Anderson vs. Andersen was the difference.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
The jinx is real!

4BfTiHR.gif

Reactions: Legionnaire

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Despite the fact that Senators lost tonight but they were not bad, so far they have played pretty well in this early season

It's a long season and it's impossible for any team to be unreal - good run any ways, no matter how you look at it

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think that the fact that you and several other fans took such offense that you had to lash out at me supports my point. After all, being critiqued on what you believe is not nearly as infuriating as being critiqued on what you want to believe. I didn't mean any offense, but a suggestion that confirmation bias is going on is a relatively benign critique that shouldn't be taken so offensively unless there's something to it, IMO. Regardless, it wasn't so much a criticism as an observation. I don't think that the good start is as much because of Stevens as many want to believe. You're welcome to disagree, but I think that how you disagree reveals how relevant the observation is.
No one is offended, you are just talking absolute nonsense. Whether or not it makes a difference in the standings at the end of the year there is little resemblance between this years Kings and last years Kings. Others have already pointed out the system differences and the general improvement in the players body language. Your observation skills are somewhat deficient if you ask me as it comes across as if you haven't watched so much as a single highlight of our games let alone an entire match.

Granted it's your opinion but you seem to think constantly pontificating about things like 'confirmation bias' gives it credibility, but nothing is further from the truth. Sorry to say but, as opinions go, it is borderline embarrassing.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Price with the 80 save 1-0 win.

Somewhere between "grande" and "gordo".
i think this is the first true test if the curse has been broken

2nd game of a back to back, we should get the backup, if montoya posts a shutout we may as well pack our bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->