Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I don’t see how that makes sense for Ottawa. If Callens were 19 instead of 20 then maybe. I think the idea is if we are moving donoso, we move him to open an OA spot. Unless Kingston is the only team in the market for an OA goalie, I think there may be a better combination out there.

You expect the top team int he division and top team in the Conference to give up its best player at the deadline (Stonehouse). What is the difference? Oshawa is younger and still building. Or, you expect the 67’s to remain status quo and do basically nothing and finish the season as absolutely nothing.
As I stated

There are only 2 trades that this team should make.

Donoso to Kingston for Downey and picks.
Picks late round or 2027 picks for an OA center.

Callens and a 15th pick for Donoso makes some sense for Kingston. There will be several goalie options to explore leading up to the dead line
Donoso to Kingston for Downey and picks. Callens and what you do with him is your problem. Put him in a package deal for a different player or just release him lol

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As I stated

Donoso to Kingston for Downey and picks. Callens and what you do with him is your problem. Put him in a package deal for a different player or just release him lol
Who is Downey?

Reactions: Section5Petes

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Who is Downey?
Downey is the goalie they traded for and then sent to Stouffville so that Salajko could sit on the bench. He was even loaned to the Platers.

He is a backup with OHL experience. What we will need if we trade Donoso.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Downey is the goalie they traded for and then sent to Stouffville so that Salajko could sit on the bench. He was even loaned to the Platers.

He is a backup with OHL expansion.

Why would we want or need a 19 year old goalie not in the league with basically zero OHL experience? I know you mentioned picks but basically that is jsut a picks deal which is fine but I think we are in a position now where Donoso cannot be reasonably traded for nothing in return.

I want him to find a place to play full time as a starter but if there is a team willing to have him as a starter, they need to at least provide a fair return. No team is going to do it out of charity meaning there isn’t a team out there that are fine for goaltending and are not in a need and decide to add donoso because they feel bad for him. The team that takes him would feel he is an upgrade on what they currently have otherwise they wouldn’t’ trade for him. In that situation, the 67’s need to get a fair return. I think the 3rd and 5th is a viable return for a capable top 10 starter as an OA. Downey is worth nothing, not even a 15th round pick.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Good point. I think we now see a separation even though we don’t see it in the points.

I think the bottom four are:
Niagara
Peterborough
Barrie
Kingston

I think Niagara and Kingston are the playoff teams. Barrie and Peterborough will be the lottery teams. I don‘t want to say that is set in stone but that is my read right now. Kingston could do something outrageous and make some buyer moves but I really don’t feel their back end and overall team structure allows them to do anything major. Their newly acquired staff is more likely to do a rebuild and bring all their own players in over the course of the next year as oposed to building on the players they inherited.

The other top 6 are the ones to look at.

Missy is too young. You can see it in their game. They lack experience, not skill/talent. They will remain patient this year.

North Bay should sell. They don’t have the assets to buy and they will get many conditional picks returned to them at the end of the season. If they strategically sell, their draft pick cabinet will look mighty fine going forward.

Oshawa is also too young. They have made some additions because it is time they built a culture. I am not sure they can afford to lose Kumpulainen for nothing. HE is really risky to return. IF they choose to stay status quo or maybe even add a small piece, they are likely in the 4-5 spot. I’m not sure how that changes anything for them next year though.

Sudbury is a team that will buy, as they should. They are the competition. But, if we acquire Mayer, they don’t. Win-Win.

Brantford is doing it with smoke and mirrors. I can’t remember ever seeing a team 6 games above .500 while sitting with a negative 6 goal differential. Crazy. Sudbury is a point behind with a +22 goal differential By comparison.

So, even though there is now a top 6, there really are only two team poised to make a run, Ottawa and Sudbury. IF Ottawa bails, Sudbury gets it by default.

That is how I see the conference. If Ottawa chooses to remain pretty much status quo, they end up in a three team race in the East Division with Oshawa and Brantford.

I continue to think that three or four additions can solidify the 67s position in the top-2 in the eastern conference. Whether Boyd goes out and does that, and makes some difficulty decisions in the process, is a different story and I don't think he is in an enviable position having to execute on that, and committing to a rebuild next season.

The current team, with the "bare minimum" addition of an OA centre, would be the 4th to 6th best team in the conference. Is that good enough? What are we building towards next season, and the season after? I question whether this group truly deserves Boyd going out and making strong additions to the roster, but on the other hand it would be a shame to waste a season in which we have such elite goal suppression.

Where I land is, the status quo (ie, only adding an OA centre) isn't really acceptable. Some selling this year (Stonehouse, Donoso, maybe another piece like Smyth or Sirman, while getting some picks and bodies back in return to complete a lineup) would be acceptable to me, OR pushing in lots of chips would be acceptable to me. The latter comes with some execution risk, but the fact is even if we load up this year, the team would be still be good next season and would most likely accumulate enough points to make the playoffs while still selling off at the deadline.

The fans would get to watch a contender this season, a playoff-calibre team next season, and a rebuilding team in 2025-26 that is led by Dave Cameron and would still have Mews, Marrelli, Whitehead, etc.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Good point. I think we now see a separation even though we don’t see it in the points.

I think the bottom four are:
Niagara
Peterborough
Barrie
Kingston

I think Niagara and Kingston are the playoff teams. Barrie and Peterborough will be the lottery teams. I don‘t want to say that is set in stone but that is my read right now. Kingston could do something outrageous and make some buyer moves but I really don’t feel their back end and overall team structure allows them to do anything major. Their newly acquired staff is more likely to do a rebuild and bring all their own players in over the course of the next year as oposed to building on the players they inherited.

The other top 6 are the ones to look at.

Missy is too young. You can see it in their game. They lack experience, not skill/talent. They will remain patient this year.

North Bay should sell. They don’t have the assets to buy and they will get many conditional picks returned to them at the end of the season. If they strategically sell, their draft pick cabinet will look mighty fine going forward.

Oshawa is also too young. They have made some additions because it is time they built a culture. I am not sure they can afford to lose Kumpulainen for nothing. HE is really risky to return. IF they choose to stay status quo or maybe even add a small piece, they are likely in the 4-5 spot. I’m not sure how that changes anything for them next year though.

Sudbury is a team that will buy, as they should. They are the competition. But, if we acquire Mayer, they don’t. Win-Win.

Brantford is doing it with smoke and mirrors. I can’t remember ever seeing a team 6 games above .500 while sitting with a negative 6 goal differential. Crazy. Sudbury is a point behind with a +22 goal differential By comparison.

So, even though there is now a top 6, there really are only two team poised to make a run, Ottawa and Sudbury. IF Ottawa bails, Sudbury gets it by default.

That is how I see the conference. If Ottawa chooses to remain pretty much status quo, they end up in a three team race in the East Division with Oshawa and Brantford.
I don't disagree with your assessment of the conference or Ottawa's position at the top and the inevitability that Sudbury is going to buy and be better for it. For Sudbury sorting out there character issues will be the key to them competing or just being a Windsor from last year.

Don't overlook Missy and Brantford, both have been on a roller coaster but are well coached teams; with very skilled young players, you just never know when things are going to click. Both have assets to sneak in a on a deal if the costs stay too cheap and they want to add some leadership.

For Ottawa, it comes down to addressing four principle areas: veteran leadership, physicality, 1C and a top 4 RD. If they don't address all of those things it will be tough for them to get out of the 2nd round. The idea of being backed into a corner and having to sell Pinelli, Gardiner and Foster would be difficult to swallow.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Why would we want or need a 19 year old goalie not in the league with basically zero OHL experience? I know you mentioned picks but basically that is jsut a picks deal which is fine but I think we are in a position now where Donoso cannot be reasonably traded for nothing in return.

I want him to find a place to play full time as a starter but if there is a team willing to have him as a starter, they need to at least provide a fair return. No team is going to do it out of charity meaning there isn’t a team out there that are fine for goaltending and are not in a need and decide to add donoso because they feel bad for him. The team that takes him would feel he is an upgrade on what they currently have otherwise they wouldn’t’ trade for him. In that situation, the 67’s need to get a fair return. I think the 3rd and 5th is a viable return for a capable top 10 starter as an OA. Downey is worth nothing, not even a 15th round pick.
Maillet and Michelone in Windsor + 2025 3rd for Donoso & Kitch 3rd this year?

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I continue to think that three or four additions can solidify the 67s position in the top-2 in the eastern conference. Whether Boyd goes out and does that, and makes some difficulty decisions in the process, is a different story and I don't think he is in an enviable position having to execute on that, and committing to a rebuild next season.

The current team, with the "bare minimum" addition of an OA centre, would be the 4th to 6th best team in the conference. Is that good enough? What are we building towards next season, and the season after? I question whether this group truly deserves Boyd going out and making strong additions to the roster, but on the other hand it would be a shame to waste a season in which we have such elite goal suppression.

Where I land is, the status quo (ie, only adding an OA centre) isn't really acceptable. Some selling this year (Stonehouse, Donoso, maybe another piece like Smyth or Sirman, while getting some picks and bodies back in return to complete a lineup) would be acceptable to me, OR pushing in lots of chips would be acceptable to me. The latter comes with some execution risk, but the fact is even if we load up this year, the team would be still be good next season and would most likely accumulate enough points to make the playoffs while still selling off at the deadline.

The fans would get to watch a contender this season, a playoff-calibre team next season, and a rebuilding team in 2025-26 that is led by Dave Cameron and would still have Mews, Marrelli, Whitehead, etc.
The team only has 2 19yo F and is effectively being led by the five 05's on forward and two 17 yo on defense + Mayich. For them to be tied for first place at the break is quality production; if ever there was a group that deserved a few extra pieces added this is it.

The question becomes do they do it this year when the conference is weak or take a run next year when the competition is projected to be much more difficult but the above core will be a year older.

Case can be made for both to work, they would have assets to recover next year if they choose this year. Next year they will have two -1st rounders to use in transaction if they chose to go after it. On paper the team is stronger next year. Both teams will need to add a 1C, Physicality and a RD to contend. The import situation isn't likely any better next year unless they can find the next Marco in the import draft.

Both years it will be difficult to make it out of the 2nd round if they don't add something. The dilemma's of an OHL GM... LOL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't disagree with your assessment of the conference or Ottawa's position at the top and the inevitability that Sudbury is going to buy and be better for it. For Sudbury sorting out there character issues will be the key to them competing or just being a Windsor from last year.

Don't overlook Missy and Brantford, both have been on a roller coaster but are well coached teams; with very skilled young players, you just never know when things are going to click. Both have assets to sneak in a on a deal if the costs stay too cheap and they want to add some leadership.

For Ottawa, it comes down to addressing four principle areas: veteran leadership, physicality, 1C and a top 4 RD. If they don't address all of those things it will be tough for them to get out of the 2nd round. The idea of being backed into a corner and having to sell Pinelli, Gardiner and Foster would be difficult to swallow.

Sudbury doesn’t really scare me if Ottawa loads up responsibly. If we snag Mayer, that pull shim off Sudbury. Sudbury would be looking to add Beck I think. The cost of that would deplete a lot of assets which would make it more difficult for them to do much more than that.

I think adding Dubois, Mayer and a 1C is where we need to be. In addition, either a kid like Melee or the return of Boucher. If the 1C is an Import, we’d likely save a lot of assets. They are typically a lot cheaper. We actually dont’ even need a 1C. We could make do with a 2C since the wingers put beside him would be capable.

When we look at the types of players we really need to add, the costs aren’t all that much because most is OA and none of them are elite.

Mayer = 2nd, 3rd and Brady
Dubois = 3rd, 5th, and Kelly
Melee = 3rd and 5th plus conditional 4th (OA season)
Import Centre = 2nd & 5th plus an Import player

The total of that is less than what we gave up last year for Mintyukov. I really think that is enough for this team to be a contender in this league this season. As Nords says, this team has elite goal suppression. It would be a waste to waste it.

I am also fine with a selloff. But it needs to be a real selloff. There is no sense in status quo and a first round exit. That would be meaningless. Donoso, Stonehouse and at least two D-Men have to go. The affiliate players (Yanni, Houben, Dietsch, and Nelson) need to come up and play the second half. There is significant value practicing with the 67’s and getting sheltered minutes. There are enough trash teams on the schedule to shelter Nelson as well.

They need to pick a course and folLow it. Tinkering never works.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The team only has 2 19yo F and is effectively being led by the five 05's on forward and two 17 yo on defense + Mayich. For them to be tied for first place at the break is quality production; if ever there was a group that deserved a few extra pieces added this is it.

The question becomes do they do it this year when the conference is weak or take a run next year when the competition is projected to be much more difficult but the above core will be a year older.

Case can be made for both to work, they would have assets to recover next year if they choose this year. Next year they will have two -1st rounders to use in transaction if they chose to go after it. On paper the team is stronger next year. Both teams will need to add a 1C, Physicality and a RD to contend. The import situation isn't likely any better next year unless they can find the next Marco in the import draft.

Both years it will be difficult to make it out of the 2nd round if they don't add something. The dilemma's of an OHL GM... LOL
Next year for me man! Gotta admit though it's kinda fun to see what they're gonna do. Not obvious this year like it is most years is it?

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Sudbury doesn’t really scare me if Ottawa loads up responsibly. If we snag Mayer, that pull shim off Sudbury. Sudbury would be looking to add Beck I think. The cost of that would deplete a lot of assets which would make it more difficult for them to do much more than that.

I think adding Dubois, Mayer and a 1C is where we need to be. In addition, either a kid like Melee or the return of Boucher. If the 1C is an Import, we’d likely save a lot of assets. They are typically a lot cheaper. We actually dont’ even need a 1C. We could make do with a 2C since the wingers put beside him would be capable.

When we look at the types of players we really need to add, the costs aren’t all that much because most is OA and none of them are elite.

Mayer = 2nd, 3rd and Brady
Dubois = 3rd, 5th, and Kelly
Melee = 3rd and 5th plus conditional 4th (OA season)
Import Centre = 2nd & 5th plus an Import player

The total of that is less than what we gave up last year for Mintyukov. I really think that is enough for this team to be a contender in this league this season. As Nords says, this team has elite goal suppression. It would be a waste to waste it.

I am also fine with a selloff. But it needs to be a real selloff. There is no sense in status quo and a first round exit. That would be meaningless. Donoso, Stonehouse and at least two D-Men have to go. The affiliate players (Yanni, Houben, Dietsch, and Nelson) need to come up and play the second half. There is significant value practicing with the 67’s and getting sheltered minutes. There are enough trash teams on the schedule to shelter Nelson as well.

They need to pick a course and folLow it. Tinkering never works.
I see your angle and the players you are suggesting add the physicality Ottawa needs but my concern is they don't move the bar from a talent/skill perspective. I also suspect that the Petes will package players in twos and try to get better returns similar to what the Bulldogs and Missy did last year. I don't think Saginaw or Sudbury has an issue with parting with Young or Taylor, and the Petes will have no reservations about juggling which players are involved as long as they get what they need.

I suspect the course was picked a long time ago, and we won't see the type of transactions we are looking for.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

My comment on whether this group "deserves" it is a commentary on their overall play this year, as the 67s are heavily reliant on strong goaltending + goal suppression to win tight games. They have won a lot of games where they have been outshot and significantly outplayed physically, but came out on the winning end because Donoso or MacKenzie have stood on their head. Goal scoring and size/physicality are significant concerns. This is not a team that is going to blow teams away. The effort is usually there as one would expect from a Cameron-coached team, but this is a young team that makes mistakes and would certainly benefit from a year of seasoning before making a push.

I agree with you on the competitive landscape this year and next, and my bias would be towards bolstering the roster this season and doing what it takes to make a strong push. I'd like the 67s to take advantage of their elite goaltending (assuming Donoso is dealt, this would be Mackenzie).

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
My comment on whether this group "deserves" it is a commentary on their overall play this year, as the 67s are heavily reliant on strong goaltending + goal suppression to win tight games. They have won a lot of games where they have been outshot and significantly outplayed physically, but came out on the winning end because Donoso or MacKenzie have stood on their head. Goal scoring and size/physicality are significant concerns. This is not a team that is going to blow teams away. The effort is usually there as one would expect from a Cameron-coached team, but this is a young team that makes mistakes and would certainly benefit from a year of seasoning before making a push.

I agree with you on the competitive landscape this year and next, and my bias would be towards bolstering the roster this season and doing what it takes to make a strong push. I'd like the 67s to take advantage of their elite goaltending (assuming Donoso is dealt, this would be Mackenzie).
No disputing any of those points, 18 yo rarely to never dominate things physically in the OHL. Ottawa isn't a team built for that anyways, which was the issue last year and will be one in the foreseeable future looking at the players they have drafted and are in the system.

I think the idea of going for it this year makes sense as well, the downside is no one, especially Boyd, likes the idea of being sellers next year. Last year they made an aggressive push but protected the roster players for that very reason. It will be very tough to completely contradict that philosophy this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think we should look at it from the perspective of this year or next year. You can really only look at it from the perspective of this year. What do we do this year? Next year shouldn’t be a significant part of the discussion. If next year is a significant part of the discussion then you also need to assess the landscape next year and the landscape next year does not look good for Ottawa. There are at least 2-3 teams that look poised to be rather good to dominant. Missy is going to be crazy good And hold a ton of draft picks.

The only question that truly matters is whether this team has the foundation from which to build a contender this year. If so, what type of assets need to be sacrificed to bolster that foundation? That is all that matters.

I think everyone is mostly on the fence because they don’t feel the team is a traditional contender BUT the Conference doesn't have one single team that would fit the criteria of being a traditional contender. That leaves the door open for a non-traditional contender to be a contender. How often does that happen? I can’t remember that ever being the case.

Most consider this team a 4-6 sort of team. But, all of the top 6 are 4-6 type teams. There isn‘t a team considered a 1-3 type team Right now. That concept is lost on many viewing this conference.

We can either let the chips fall where they may and finish 4th to 6th by doing nothing and conserving assets, or we can take control of our own destiny and make a grasp for the brass ring. It really is that simple.

If this were a traditional season where there are two, maybe three, good teams that are clearly the top of the conference then I would simply suggest selling. To be honest, I thought Sudbury would be a lot more formidable this year. I thought Kingston would be a lot more formidable as well. Sudbury lacks structure and drive. Kingston lacks a complete back end. By default, Ottawa and Missy are the best two teams right now.

There has also been a lot of discussion about Oshawa or North Bay etc only being a few points behind. That is fine and a valid point but those teams are not positioned to add to their foundation and make a run.

Brantford has a lot of picks. They could make a run but they are very young and their window opens next year for the next two years. Same with Oshawa. North Bay doesn’t have the picks to be a major player at the deadline. Missy is set up to be a major force next year. That is four of the top 6 where it makes no sense for them to be major players as buyers at the deadline. That leaves Ottawa and Sudbury.

Does Ottawa just simply sit back and let Sudbury take it uncontested? How will you feel next year after watching Sudbury in the Memorial Cup after losing in 5 games to Saginaw in the Final and all they did was add Mayer and a forward? How will it feel next year when we are 14 points behind Missy at the deadline realizing we squandered our opportunity this year?

That is the only thing that bothers me. We have a foundation suitable enough to do damage by adding pieces that don‘t need to be elite. Two 2nds, two 3rds, two 5ths, Kelly, Brady, Lawrence, Donoso and Korbler may be enough to make a run. That is a small price to pay.

We’d acquire a #1 D-Man in Mayer, a solid two way centre in Dubois, hopefully get Boucher back or add Melee, plus an Import Centre that can skate beside Pinelli. Small price to pay for the return.

Don’t look at it as whether the group deserves it. Look at it as whether the franchise deserves it. If you look at it from the perspective of whether this group deserves it, no group in the Eastern Conference deserves it. Someone is going to step up and take it even if they don‘t deserve it. May as well be Ottawa.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t see how that makes sense for Ottawa. If Callens were 19 instead of 20 then maybe. I think the idea is if we are moving donoso, we move him to open an OA spot. Unless Kingston is the only team in the market for an OA goalie, I think there may be a better combination out there.

You expect the top team int he division and top team in the Conference to give up its best player at the deadline (Stonehouse). What is the difference? Oshawa is younger and still building. Or, you expect the 67’s to remain status quo and do basically nothing and finish the season as absolutely nothing.
it really wasn't supposed to make sense for the '67s. In one sentence Beast says Vicaari is not the answer this season or next, then suggested a '67s OA G should be acquired

As I stated

counter with Downey, Callens, '27-14th for Donoso; the '67s can eat cards and waive the players

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
it really wasn't supposed to make sense for the '67s. In one sentence Beast says Vicaari is not the answer this season or next, then suggested a '67s OA G should be acquired

LOL. Understood.

I try to be as clear as I can on the issue. As a team, buy efficiently to position ourselves as a contender or sell heavily and push assets forward. Nothing in between. For Donoso, find him a spot to be an undisputed starter. If a team feels he should be their starter then they should/would be willing to pay a reasonable return. It woudl be no different than a kid like Mayer going to the Petes and demanding a trade to Ottawa and Ottawa says, “ok, we will give you Lawrence and a 14th round pick.” No. Either they want the player and pay a reasonable return or they don’t want the player. As part of the Donoso deal, we don’t need to bring back a goalie in that deal. There are loads of teams with three goalies. If we don’t feel Nelson is ready or it isn’t’ right for his development, the 67’s can make a modest deal for a backup. Those deals are usually for 8th through 15th round picks anyway. There is no reason why it needs to be goalie for goalie.

It should really be that easy. Trade Donoso for picks. It is an easy commodity to acquire. Confusing it by adding bodies etc is not needed when we are talking about these types of players. Prospects are not needed To be included so bodies aren’t needed to be included. I think sometimes people try to make it more complicated than it needs to be. If adding an OA requires that team to offload an OA and the trading team doesn’t need that player then that team can go trade that player to some other team that wants him or they release him. It should be incumbent on that team to deal with their roster issues, not the team that is providing the desired player in the deal.

Reactions: dirty12

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
LOL. Understood.

I try to be as clear as I can on the issue. As a team, buy efficiently to position ourselves as a contender or sell heavily and push assets forward. Nothing in between. For Donoso, find him a spot to be an undisputed starter. If a team feels he should be their starter then they should/would be willing to pay a reasonable return. It woudl be no different than a kid like Mayer going to the Petes and demanding a trade to Ottawa and Ottawa says, “ok, we will give you Lawrence and a 14th round pick.” No. Either they want the player and pay a reasonable return or they don’t want the player. As part of the Donoso deal, we don’t need to bring back a goalie in that deal. There are loads of teams with three goalies. If we don’t feel Nelson is ready or it isn’t’ right for his development, the 67’s can make a modest deal for a backup. Those deals are usually for 8th through 15th round picks anyway. There is no reason why it needs to be goalie for goalie.

It should really be that easy. Trade Donoso for picks. It is an easy commodity to acquire. Confusing it by adding bodies etc is not needed when we are talking about these types of players. Prospects are not needed To be included so bodies aren’t needed to be included. I think sometimes people try to make it more complicated than it needs to be. If adding an OA requires that team to offload an OA and the trading team doesn’t need that player then that team can go trade that player to some other team that wants him or they release him. It should be incumbent on that team to deal with their roster issues, not the team that is providing the desired player in the deal.
Donoso isn't going anywhere, he'll provide a nice plan B should he be required.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Donoso isn't going anywhere, he'll provide a nice plan B should he be required.

Very possible but if he stays, he is the starter. The only way he isn’t the starter is if he falls flat on his face. He will get the benefit of the doubt and will get first opportunity under most circumstances. If he plays well, he will get 2 starts per week. It won’t matter if MacK is the better of the two goalies.

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
Boyd is loyal to the players he's selected and his purported philosophy is: "be competitve every year". This year, we are competitve through our mature goal-tending and team defence. I don't see Boyd selling anyone important off (certainly not Brady, he looks pretty good for a rookie). What he will do I think is to add a couple of cheap role players to support the current cast. Some more Lawrence-type players. What about that Zito guy; maybe he'd rather play hockey than sit at home? With the competition so weak this year we just need to add a few minor but key pieces to give us a chance in the playoffs this year. And then we wait for next year when our core group is more mature.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I don’t think we should look at it from the perspective of this year or next year. You can really only look at it from the perspective of this year. What do we do this year? Next year shouldn’t be a significant part of the discussion. If next year is a significant part of the discussion then you also need to assess the landscape next year and the landscape next year does not look good for Ottawa. There are at least 2-3 teams that look poised to be rather good to dominant. Missy is going to be crazy good And hold a ton of draft picks.

The only question that truly matters is whether this team has the foundation from which to build a contender this year. If so, what type of assets need to be sacrificed to bolster that foundation? That is all that matters.

I think everyone is mostly on the fence because they don’t feel the team is a traditional contender BUT the Conference doesn't have one single team that would fit the criteria of being a traditional contender. That leaves the door open for a non-traditional contender to be a contender. How often does that happen? I can’t remember that ever being the case.

Most consider this team a 4-6 sort of team. But, all of the top 6 are 4-6 type teams. There isn‘t a team considered a 1-3 type team Right now. That concept is lost on many viewing this conference.

We can either let the chips fall where they may and finish 4th to 6th by doing nothing and conserving assets, or we can take control of our own destiny and make a grasp for the brass ring. It really is that simple.

If this were a traditional season where there are two, maybe three, good teams that are clearly the top of the conference then I would simply suggest selling. To be honest, I thought Sudbury would be a lot more formidable this year. I thought Kingston would be a lot more formidable as well. Sudbury lacks structure and drive. Kingston lacks a complete back end. By default, Ottawa and Missy are the best two teams right now.

There has also been a lot of discussion about Oshawa or North Bay etc only being a few points behind. That is fine and a valid point but those teams are not positioned to add to their foundation and make a run.

Brantford has a lot of picks. They could make a run but they are very young and their window opens next year for the next two years. Same with Oshawa. North Bay doesn’t have the picks to be a major player at the deadline. Missy is set up to be a major force next year. That is four of the top 6 where it makes no sense for them to be major players as buyers at the deadline. That leaves Ottawa and Sudbury.

Does Ottawa just simply sit back and let Sudbury take it uncontested? How will you feel next year after watching Sudbury in the Memorial Cup after losing in 5 games to Saginaw in the Final and all they did was add Mayer and a forward? How will it feel next year when we are 14 points behind Missy at the deadline realizing we squandered our opportunity this year?

That is the only thing that bothers me. We have a foundation suitable enough to do damage by adding pieces that don‘t need to be elite. Two 2nds, two 3rds, two 5ths, Kelly, Brady, Lawrence, Donoso and Korbler may be enough to make a run. That is a small price to pay.

We’d acquire a #1 D-Man in Mayer, a solid two way centre in Dubois, hopefully get Boucher back or add Melee, plus an Import Centre that can skate beside Pinelli. Small price to pay for the return.

Don’t look at it as whether the group deserves it. Look at it as whether the franchise deserves it. If you look at it from the perspective of whether this group deserves it, no group in the Eastern Conference deserves it. Someone is going to step up and take it even if they don‘t deserve it. May as well be Ottawa.
I get writers cramp just reading this lol 😊

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Boyd is loyal to the players he's selected and his purported philosophy is: "be competitve every year". This year, we are competitve through our mature goal-tending and team defence. I don't see Boyd selling anyone important off (certainly not Brady, he looks pretty good for a rookie). What he will do I think is to add a couple of cheap role players to support the current cast. Some more Lawrence-type players. What about that Zito guy; maybe he'd rather play hockey than sit at home? With the competition so weak this year we just need to add a few minor but key pieces to give us a chance in the playoffs this year. And then we wait for next year when our core group is more mature.
zito could play anytime he wants, he doesnt want to right now.

Reactions: OMG67

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Very possible but if he stays, he is the starter. The only way he isn’t the starter is if he falls flat on his face. He will get the benefit of the doubt and will get first opportunity under most circumstances. If he plays well, he will get 2 starts per week. It won’t matter if MacK is the better of the two goalies.
There is no guarantee who the starter will be. The Coach is paid to win hockey games, he will play the goalie who gives them the best chance to win hockey games. You can bet good dollars that if Mackenzie isn't starting this year he wont be here next year.

zito could play anytime he wants, he doesnt want to right now.
Not true, NB owns his rights and if he plays an OHL hockey game this year it will cost the team a 3rd and 5th. If a team wants to give them those picks they can have Zito.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There is no guarantee who the starter will be. The Coach is paid to win hockey games, he will play the goalie who gives them the best chance to win hockey games. You can bet good dollars that if Mackenzie isn't starting this year he wont be here next year.

Not true, NB owns his rights and if he plays an OHL hockey game this year it will cost the team a 3rd and 5th. If a team wants to give them those picks they can have Zito.
north bay would cut another overage to get him back today, if you dont know the background of why he is home right now its best not to comment. he was invited to nhl camps but turned them down.

Reactions: OMG67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA