Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beast….

Ottawa didn’t have a short bench to start the season. He had 22 guys plus Sirman. That is very normal. What is abnormal is the number of games lost to injury and sickness. It does happen annually though. he had the ability to pull guys up on affiliate cards. There are four players signed to affiliate cards that can come up a play a few games here and there. It is good for the players to get that chance and good for the team to see them in short windows.

You can’t have 25 guys on your roster. You need to use the affiliate players when injuries strike. It is just unfortunate that Sirman had a late start to the year and Uronen went down with a season ending injury.

Regarding Korbler, you can acquire a replacement that has more experience and is heavier and can do some of the little things much better for an 8th round pick. That is how ineffective Korbler is. If we could have unlimited Imports like we can have unlimited North Americans, then we could very well make an investment in him but we can’t. We will have a nicely positioned 1st round Import pick next year that we’d be stupid not to use. I will assume that since Uronen will have lost a full season, Vegas would prefer he plays a full season in Ottawa so it is likely he returns. You have your two Imports next year. Keeping Korbler this year isn’t for development reasons. It would strictly be because you need numbers. There are always depth veteran guys available cheap at the deadline. Maybe even an 18 year old that could return next year. Who knows but they are always available.

I agree about Kelly but he seems lost. He really needs to go to the CCHL for a month Where he can play on an offensive line. Maybe get some confidence. Something. The kid has a ton more to give. Either that or give him a new home. The kid needs something and I don’t think the 67’s can give it to him right now. Something tells me he’d flourish in a less defensive system where he can roam around on the wing more.

Reactions: Roadhog

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have a feeling that Mews will line up as a forward tonight. Sirman will start on defence. I’m not sure Sirman will stay there all night though.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
I have a feeling that Mews will line up as a forward tonight. Sirman will start on defence. I’m not sure Sirman will stay there all night though.

The starting lineup that was posted an hour ago has Sirman on D so that’s a pretty easy assumption

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Sorry. Bad choice of words…

Sirman “is starting” as opposed to “will start” on defence. That would be more clear as a statement as opposed to how you took it as more of a prediction.

The statement/prediction I am making is that I think Mews will line up as a forward. That is because Sirman is lining up on defence. The prediction is I don’t think he will stay there. I think he ends up moving to forward at some point.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
On the OHL scoresheet we have 8 defencemen listed including Mews

down 2-1

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Mack looks horrible & once again Hilton & Kelly look very out of place. Need more from Lawrence as an OA as well

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
It's 3-2 2nd period for Ottawa. Quick thoughts:

Defence pairings: Marelli-Brady: good. Sirman-Ewles: OK. Mayich-Horner: huh? And Mews as a forward: yuck, why?
Offence: Lawrence with Kelly and Hilton. It's not working. Perhaps the flu is on.

Still, we're up.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It's 3-2 2nd period for Ottawa. Quick thoughts:

Defence pairings: Marelli-Brady: good. Sirman-Ewles: OK. Mayich-Horner: huh? And Mews as a forward: yuck, why?
Offence: Lawrence with Kelly and Hilton. It's not working. Perhaps the flu is on.

Still, we're up.
I have a feeling that while this will benefit the team and add some strength to the line Mews as a forward is a chance for the team to help showcase his abilities for the draft. Remember, he is a top 15 player if he is able to play forward it would give another asset in his list of things that will make teams think about him.

Remember hilton was a round 14 draft pick so to expect too much from a rookie that was not held high I think is too much. He should be considered as a grinder and may become a good 3rd line player but gain he is a rookie.

Kelly got screwed on so many fronts. the challenge he has had is to get defined ice time and let to develop.

The other challenge is the one I keep harping on this team has no bench. Personally, I would like to see them, release Uronen if they can and using draft picks trade for 2 forwards that will give them some bench strength. It might also allow them to send kelly and Korbler down to the CCHL for a couple of games with Brockville.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Is Sirman the big physical shut down D we have all wanted all season.
It is why I was a little pissy last year when they didn’t thin out the blueline. he should never have been moved to forward. They could have swapped a D-Man for a forward but they square pegged a round hole.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
It is why I was a little pissy last year when they didn’t thin out the blueline. he should never have been moved to forward. They could have swapped a D-Man for a forward but they square pegged a round hole.
Can he fill the #4 spot on the back end is the question. I think he might be able to & we have 6 games before the deadline to make that decision I guess.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Horrid. Worst in the league. The commentators aren’t bad tho. It is the video That is trash.
It’s definitely improved, but not by much. It’s awful and the score box on the screen is terrible. In house had a lot of issues this weekend.

It’s crazy because our scoreboard is newer so you’d think they’d update the camera quality. Nope. Straight out of 2005.

Reactions: OMG67

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Pinelli/_____/Stonehouse
Foster/Gardiner/Gerrior
Barlas/Lawrence/Dever
Korbler/Whitehead/Kelly

Hilton

Mayich/Mews
Marelli/Sirman
Ewles/Smyth

Brady/Horner

I think we just move a guy like Horner for a late round pick & then move a few picks for a #1 or #2 centre & roll with it. Believe it or not in Boyd’s shoes I can almost guarantee he’s starting to think he owes it to these guys to try & do a little something to give this lineup a boost. First in the east at Christmas break it’s hard as a GM to look at your team & not be proud & go out and get them some extra push

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Pinelli/_____/Stonehouse
Foster/Gardiner/Gerrior
Barlas/Lawrence/Dever
Korbler/Whitehead/Kelly

Hilton

Mayich/Mews
Marelli/Sirman
Ewles/Smyth

Brady/Horner

I think we just move a guy like Horner for a late round pick & then move a few picks for a #1 or #2 centre & roll with it. Believe it or not in Boyd’s shoes I can almost guarantee he’s starting to think he owes it to these guys to try & do a little something to give this lineup a boost. First in the east at Christmas break it’s hard as a GM to look at your team & not be proud & go out and get them some extra push

I’m not 100% on Sirman holding down the 2nd pairing but they can keep the two of them together through New Years and see how it works out. Both Lefties. Not that is a big deal but not preferred. That all said, he was the 3rd rounder and Mayich the 4th rounder. I felt Sirman outplayed Mayich as a 17 year old. It was when Mayich paired with Matier that he got a leg up.

Dever likely won’t be back until at least mid-February so you would see Kelly in the 3RW spot at least until then.

Pinelli and Gardiner are minus players on this team. That is just silly. We shouldn’t have minus players on this team. I Iike the idea of fiddling with that top line adding an OA centre between Stonehouse and Pinelli. I also like reuniting the Gardiner, Foster, Gerrior line. I like Gardiner and Gerrior together. Foster riding shotgun on it is always fun.

I am fine with Smyth. I could be talked into Ewles if he is on the 3rd pairing. Shelter his minutes a little more but his mishandling of pucks in bad spots combined with bad decisions when under pressure comes no matter who he is playing agaisnt. He scares the crap out of me during pressure situations. I’d really rather see them take a 3rd and 5th and put it into a 3rd pairing D-Man that limits mistakes and can make a first pass. Defence first guy. Someone that hardly knows what the offensive side of the ice even looks like. The type of guy that when the play leaves his own zone, he goes back and chats with the goalie.

We need to add at least one depth forward. We could probably get a kid “like” Chase Lefebvre for a 5th. Slide that guy into the 4th line with Whitehead. Give him a solid 19 year old that knows how to play safe hockey and works the corners. Whitehead cannot be developed playing with spare parts. He needs someone to lean on for support.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I’m not 100% on Sirman holding down the 2nd pairing but they can keep the two of them together through New Years and see how it works out. Both Lefties. Not that is a big deal but not preferred. That all said, he was the 3rd rounder and Mayich the 4th rounder. I felt Sirman outplayed Mayich as a 17 year old. It was when Mayich paired with Matier that he got a leg up.

Dever likely won’t be back until at least mid-February so you would see Kelly in the 3RW spot at least until then.

Pinelli and Gardiner are minus players on this team. That is just silly. We shouldn’t have minus players on this team. I Iike the idea of fiddling with that top line adding an OA centre between Stonehouse and Pinelli. I also like reuniting the Gardiner, Foster, Gerrior line. I like Gardiner and Gerrior together. Foster riding shotgun on it is always fun.

I am fine with Smyth. I could be talked into Ewles if he is on the 3rd pairing. Shelter his minutes a little more but his mishandling of pucks in bad spots combined with bad decisions when under pressure comes no matter who he is playing agaisnt. He scares the crap out of me during pressure situations. I’d really rather see them take a 3rd and 5th and put it into a 3rd pairing D-Man that limits mistakes and can make a first pass. Defence first guy. Someone that hardly knows what the offensive side of the ice even looks like. The type of guy that when the play leaves his own zone, he goes back and chats with the goalie.

We need to add at least one depth forward. We could probably get a kid “like” Chase Lefebvre for a 5th. Slide that guy into the 4th line with Whitehead. Give him a solid 19 year old that knows how to play safe hockey and works the corners. Whitehead cannot be developed playing with spare parts. He needs someone to lean on for support.
The Petes are not likely trading Chase Lefebvre. They cannot trade everybody. They still have to ice a team and they will not be willing to trade their depth players for 5th or 6th round draft picks and then make trades for other teams spare parts. They really don’t need 5th or 6th round draft picks. They need to acquire draft picks in round 2 to 4. They will trade Owen Beck and likely Sam Mayer and maybe Konnor Smith. They will listen to offers for Donovan McCoy and Jonathan Melee but will only trade them if they get a good offer. They will be likely keeping Jax Dubois, Tommy Purdeller, Chase Lefebvre and Cam Gauvreau

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad