Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree with the point Beast but Costantini ain't going nowhere.
LOL he is probably the most available of the players that we have and would do the least damage to this team is all I was saying. I really would prefer not to trade any assets that will help Kingston next year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OK looking at the OHL standings tonight

sellers

Oshawa Niagara Sudbury

Kitchener The soo and Guelph

Possible sellers

Kingston Barrie (what happens to Clarke) Hamilton (are they going to go into a rebuild or are they going to see how far they can get in the playoffs)

buyer or seller

Mississauga are they going to go for it this year or are they going to start the rebuild early a lot of talent to offer but a lot not coming back next year

.Erie Sarnia and Flint mid pack but the west is so tight a race it is hard to say

Buyers

Ottawa, North Bay and Peterborough

A lot is going to depend on what Ottawa does or Peterborough can make a deal. North Bay is not known for a lot of trades but they are so close that I think they will have to make one or at least be in on the discussions.

Saginaw OS if for no other reason than to keep up with the East

Interesting

Windsor has an older team and depending on where they see the team going I can see them being either if the deal is right

London

The knights are a young team with a lot coming back next year. That being said the brothers have never turned down a chance to improve their team going down the road. While I think they will be neutral I can see them selling a piece if it brings them something for next year. Although with London being in the hockey Canada news I think hosting anything right now is out of the question.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think that Pinelli would be a cheaper get than Morrison and this is going to be his last year in the OHL. Kitchener is not going anywhere this year they need to rebuild.

Could we get Morrison and Pinelli probably but I like your other idea better.

The only part I am not sold on is trading with Kingston. I think that next year this team is going to compete for the championship. We are still going to have a good team and as we have seen our young guys are really developing.
I would hate to give Kingston the parts to make them better next year. Draft picks are not an issue and maybe throw in Constantini.

It is really tough to say what the values are right now for those particular players. I like Pinelli but Morrison brings so much more to the team than Pinelli. He is a proven performer when the game is on the line in the pressure situations. If he can perform at that high of a level in an OHL Championship as a 19 year old, he should be able to duplicate it and maybe even increase it as a 20 year old.

The thing that does worry me about Pinelli is Kitchener is horrible right now. Kitchener was predicted by many to hold home ice advantage in round one and maybe even challenge for the Western Conference. I am ok with adding a player from a poor team at the deadline, I mean, that is how it works. But, adding a player from a poor team that was supposed to be really good concerns me a bit. It does give a pause for thought.

Regarding value of the two players, I was not thinking that Pinelli would be cheaper. I figured the only way we would get Pinelli cheaper is through some sort of trade demand to Ottawa to play with his little brother. But, his stats aren’t jumping off the page. I think the Pastujov deal is the honest value but I cannot see Ottawa pay that level of compensation. He’s not playing consistent enough to command that.

Morrison is playing very well. He’s second in League scoring. But he is an OA. I can’t see the deal being more than two 2nds and three 3rds. The pool of teams looking to add an impact OA is short because most teams already have settled in with their current OA’s and if they add an OA, they have to delete one. So any deal they make for an OA would cost them the one they have. Imagine if dealing for Morrison cost us Costantini to make room? Would we be as willing to trade two 2nds and three 3rds for Morrison if it also meant we need to move Costantini at a serious discount at the OA deadline? That is what many other teams would be facing. So, the market is much shorter. Plus there are a handful of great OA’s available so there are choices for many teams. If the bidding gets too high on Morrison, then maybe they move to White or Hayes, both on Hamilton. Oshawa has Moore, Butler and Gagnier. Sudbury has Degrazia. Sault has Duart and Watson. Niagara has Keene and Jesus. Kitchener has Sherpa and Valade. I mean, there are loads of potential OA’s out there for teams to shift to if the prices get silly high. And a lot of the teams out there looking at OAs don’t have the type of trade assets at their disposal to overpay for an OA.

I am more intrigued by Harrison on Oshawa than Pinelli. I think he brings a lot more to the team than Pinelli does. I think he is a better fit. He can play the wing and sub in at centre if necessary. He isn’t a bruiser but he plays a more physical game leaning on guys to make plays. He’s good with the puck. He can dish and shoot.

But, if Franky Pinelli can wiggle his way into an Ottawa uniform with some sort of powerplay move like Lou Dickinson did a couple decades ago, then maybe we could see that happen.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
LOL he is probably the most available of the players that we have and would do the least damage to this team is all I was saying. I really would prefer not to trade any assets that will help Kingston next year.

Costantini is our #2 D-Man right now and he is a righty. He’s on pace to tally upwards of 60 points from the back end. I’m going to have to cry bullshit on him being the most available of all players. You are going to have to qualify that with some logic that I am not seeing right now.

b/ecause both Ewles and Marrelli have shown the ability to step in during injuries and play well enough to get by, I think adding a d-Man at this point is probably 3rd on my list of adds. So, unless we can somehow get a bonafide stud D-Man and I mean STUD, I see no reason to add a d-Man. That player added would need to be a bonafide backup for MAtier as the #1 if Matier were to be injured. If we were to add a guy that would fill in at the #3 or #4 spot to simply add depth, I don’t think we need it. I think it would be redundant. We already have enough depth on defence if we ar looking for risk mitigation filler.

Reactions: BarberPole9

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Costantini is our #2 D-Man right now and he is a righty. He’s on pace to tally upwards of 60 points from the back end. I’m going to have to cry bullshit on him being the most available of all players. You are going to have to qualify that with some logic that I am not seeing right now.

b/ecause both Ewles and Marrelli have shown the ability to step in during injuries and play well enough to get by, I think adding a d-Man at this point is probably 3rd on my list of adds. So, unless we can somehow get a bonafide stud D-Man and I mean STUD, I see no reason to add a d-Man. That player added would need to be a bonafide backup for MAtier as the #1 if Matier were to be injured. If we were to add a guy that would fill in at the #3 or #4 spot to simply add depth, I don’t think we need it. I think it would be redundant. We already have enough depth on defence if we ar looking for risk mitigation filler.
I said Constantini in a trade with Kingston. I would not want to give up any of our young guns to make Kingston better next year for Arcuri. My riley sense is telling me that the young guns are going to come back playing big OHL games. I understand that he is one of our leaders but if we had to give up a player I am thinking he might be that player.

I also like Morrison and if you check I think I was the first person to bring him up in the off season.
The problem with Morrison is that the way Hamilton is playing this year they may decide that they want to go for it again and be a buyer. I think he has the parts considering that not only did LA draft him but they have signed him.
Playing on a better team may be what he needs and the ranger fans are going to be screaming for something to look forward to.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Frankie Marrelli
Gavin Ewles
Ethan Quick

Two 2nd’s, Two 3rd’s, One 4th

Coming back

Roman Schmidt
Francesco Pinelli

Who says no?

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Brady Stonehouse- Cameron Tolnai- Jack Beck
Cooper Foster- Vinzenz Rohrer- Luca Pinelli
Chris Barlas- Francesco Pinelli- Tyler Boucher
Will Gerrior- Brad Gardiner Jack Dever

Derek Smyth - Jack Matier
Thomas Sirman - Roman Schmidt
Matthew Mayich - Henry Mews

Anthony Costantini
Caden Kelly

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
Brady Stonehouse- Cameron Tolnai- Jack Beck
Cooper Foster- Vinzenz Rohrer- Luca Pinelli
Chris Barlas- Francesco Pinelli- Tyler Boucher
Will Gerrior- Brad Gardiner Jack Dever

Derek Smyth - Jack Matier
Thomas Sirman - Roman Schmidt
Matthew Mayich - Henry Mews

Anthony Costantini
Caden Kelly
These would be some nice targets. Ottawa right side is solid. Bring on one of these lefties

DelMastro, Grushnikov, Mintyukov, Sova

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I said Constantini in a trade with Kingston. I would not want to give up any of our young guns to make Kingston better next year for Arcuri. My riley sense is telling me that the young guns are going to come back playing big OHL games. I understand that he is one of our leaders but if we had to give up a player I am thinking he might be that player.

I also like Morrison and if you check I think I was the first person to bring him up in the off season.
The problem with Morrison is that the way Hamilton is playing this year they may decide that they want to go for it again and be a buyer. I think he has the parts considering that not only did LA draft him but they have signed him.
Playing on a better team may be what he needs and the ranger fans are going to be screaming for something to look forward to.

First, Costantini is worth at least two 2nds and two 3rds by himself as an OA D-Man. Second, Kingston wouldn’t apply that trade value to him because they are building for a Memorial Cup Host spot next year. Third, the Ottawa 67’s are concerned about THEIR situation, not Kingston’s. They will do what is best for their team now because their primary focus is on winning this year.

Hamilton has no picks because they blew them all last year. They are not in a position to compete which is evidenced by the current standings. They have three OA’s of value to trade and they will likely do so Or at least make a valiant attempt.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Frankie Marrelli
Gavin Ewles
Ethan Quick

Two 2nd’s, Two 3rd’s, One 4th

Coming back

Roman Schmidt
Francesco Pinelli

Who says no?

Why would Ottawa trade for an underachieving player like Pinelli and give assets as if he were MacT? With the way Pinelli has performed this year combined with the players that are currently on the market or likely to be on the market, Kitchener would have to bend over backwards to get what Guelph got for Pastujov.

If Ottawa were to look seriously at Pinelli, it would be Ewles, two 2nds and two 3rds at the very most. No team is going to trade much more than that considering his performance which has been very disappointing. He’s showing to be the same player as a 19 year old as he was as an 18 year old which suggests he reached his ceiling last season. Not a good look for him and one of the reasons why Kitchener is in the situation they are in right now.

He is also signed with the Kings so the likelihood of him returning as an OA and reaping extra benefit is pretty much zero.

I really liked the possibility of uniting the two brothers coming into the season but I am not too sure that is a good move for Ottawa at this point. I’d rather have Zhilkin. He’s better in the faceoff dot and he is unsigned with Winnipeg. He may return as an OA. Same with Harrison out of Oshawa. Ottawa has an OA spot open so we are likely to target Morrison out of Hamilton.

All these better or at least similar players that will cost not nearly what your re suggesting for Pinelli. And before you say, “What about Schmidt?” let me say that he is unlikely to fit into the current Ottawa lineup. He is slow and doesn’t move the puck well enough. He‘d likely take Mews spot on the right side of the 3rd pairing. We need Mews puck movement more than the slower tower of Schmidt. Kitchener would do much better trading him separately than tossing him into an Ottawa trade.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Let’s just say you don’t know these players very well then lol, Roman is quite possibly top 5 shut down D man in the OHL, 2 round pick to the rangers the kid is as good as it gets when it comes to locking it down in the D zone. Big, tough, physical, great first pass out of the zone. & man can he hit. As for older Pin umm have you ever thought that he is under achieving because the entire team is.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
OK looking at the OHL standings tonight

sellers

Oshawa Niagara Sudbury

Kitchener The soo and Guelph

Possible sellers

Kingston Barrie (what happens to Clarke) Hamilton (are they going to go into a rebuild or are they going to see how far they can get in the playoffs)

buyer or seller

Mississauga are they going to go for it this year or are they going to start the rebuild early a lot of talent to offer but a lot not coming back next year

.Erie Sarnia and Flint mid pack but the west is so tight a race it is hard to say

Buyers

Ottawa, North Bay and Peterborough

A lot is going to depend on what Ottawa does or Peterborough can make a deal. North Bay is not known for a lot of trades but they are so close that I think they will have to make one or at least be in on the discussions.

Saginaw OS if for no other reason than to keep up with the East

Interesting

Windsor has an older team and depending on where they see the team going I can see them being either if the deal is right

London

The knights are a young team with a lot coming back next year. That being said the brothers have never turned down a chance to improve their team going down the road. While I think they will be neutral I can see them selling a piece if it brings them something for next year. Although with London being in the hockey Canada news I think hosting anything right now is out of the question.
Doubt Niagara is selling much

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Let’s just say you don’t know these players very well then lol, Roman is quite possibly top 5 shut down D man in the OHL, 2 round pick to the rangers the kid is as good as it gets when it comes to locking it down in the D zone. Big, tough, physical, great first pass out of the zone. & man can he hit. As for older Pin umm have you ever thought that he is under achieving because the entire team is.

So, you have a top 5 shut down D-Man and an Elite Centre…..and you are in last place. Kitchener was supposed to be challenging for the Conference. They are not. They have underachieved but you want other teams to pay prices as if those players have achieved? Not going to happen.

Doubt Niagara is selling much

It’s because there isn’t anyone worth while to buy!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Great win Ottawa. Flint had been on a roll. You guys are peaking and Flint’s goaltending situation is not god.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Great win Ottawa. Flint had been on a roll. You guys are peaking and Flint’s goaltending situation is not god.

In fairness, Flint played the better game but the difference was goaltending for sure.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
In fairness, Flint played the better game but the difference was goaltending for sure.
I do agree the final score did not reflect the game but I wouldn't go as far as saying Flint played the better game. I thought we generally carried the play at 5 on 5 but penalties (generally deserved) sapped our momentum for the first 35 min. Flint played a good road game and did capitalize on their few good chances. That second lucky goal opened the floodgates and we were our usual dominant self in the third. Flint is a good team but I thought overall we had a slight edge in carrying the play.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So, you have a top 5 shut down D-Man and an Elite Centre…..and you are in last place. Kitchener was supposed to be challenging for the Conference. They are not. They have underachieved but you want other teams to pay prices as if those players have achieved? Not going to happen.
But you’re good with Harrison & Moore?!
See cost of Sawyer & Hislop, add 3,4 for Schmidt.
It’s because there isn’t anyone worth while to buy!
Sometimes you are just ignorant

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
But you’re good with Harrison & Moore?!
See cost of Sawyer & Hislop, add 3,4 for Schmidt.

Sometimes you are just ignorant
Oshawa wasn’t expected to lead the Conference. The perspective is different. Harrison and Moore are doing what was expected of them this season. Neither Schmidt nor Pinelli have. So, there is a tremendous difference. I’d be more comfortable trading for players that have performed up to expectations as opposed to players that have performed below expectations.

With respect to Niagara, I believe my statement is true. The 19 year olds on Niagara that have substantial enough value to bother trading are all strong candidates to return as Overagers. So, why would Niagara trade them? Their current OA’s have some value but none of them would be considered primary acquisitions as OA’s when you consider the pool of OA’s that seem to be available. So, if Niagara doesn’t make their high value 19 year olds available and their current crop of OA’s are all secondary players ont he OA market, how do you suggest my assertion of Niagara not having anyone worth while to buy is inaccurate?

If you were to suggest that Niagara is willing to part with players like Fimis, Sirizzotti, Dann and Zito for example, then of course they’d have worth while players to buy. But, you and I can agree that none of those players are likely to be available. That means the two highest value players they may make available are Keene and Jesus. Please tell me that either of those players would be on any wish list. At best they are both fall back type players if other teams either dI’d not get their primary players and/or don’t have the required assets to acquire more capable players.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Oshawa wasn’t expected to lead the Conference. The perspective is different. Harrison and Moore are doing what was expected of them this season. Neither Schmidt nor Pinelli have. So, there is a tremendous difference. I’d be more comfortable trading for players that have performed up to expectations as opposed to players that have performed below expectations.

With respect to Niagara, I believe my statement is true. The 19 year olds on Niagara that have substantial enough value to bother trading are all strong candidates to return as Overagers. So, why would Niagara trade them? Their current OA’s have some value but none of them would be considered primary acquisitions as OA’s when you consider the pool of OA’s that seem to be available. So, if Niagara doesn’t make their high value 19 year olds available and their current crop of OA’s are all secondary players ont he OA market, how do you suggest my assertion of Niagara not having anyone worth while to buy is inaccurate?

If you were to suggest that Niagara is willing to part with players like Fimis, Sirizzotti, Dann and Zito for example, then of course they’d have worth while players to buy. But, you and I can agree that none of those players are likely to be available. That means the two highest value players they may make available are Keene and Jesus. Please tell me that either of those players would be on any wish list. At best they are both fall back type players if other teams either dI’d not get their primary players and/or don’t have the required assets to acquire more capable players.
I can’t imagine Fimis being available.
I think Dann should be though. He does not mesh with the players he was supposed to elevate. I’ll guess he is best when finishing the playmaker’s work. Fimis & Castle don’t really need that.
If the OAs are Michaud, two of Sirrizotti or Agonestelli, and Cato or Zito); then Niagara should be at least entertaining offers for 3-‘03 born and the 3-OAs.

Expectations were certainly different, but I’m not sure Harrison & Moore are doing more to help their team win than Pinelli & Schmidt. The Gens record has been better without Harrison so far?

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can’t imagine Fimis being available.
I think Dann should be though. He does not mesh with the players he was supposed elevate. I’ll guess he just finishes the playmaker’s work. Fimis & Castle don’t really need that.
If the OAs are Michaud, two of Sirrizotti or Agonestelli, and Cato or Zito); then Niagara should be at least entertaining offers for 3-‘03 born and the 3-OAs.

Ok. Then I would agree with Dann. I’m not sure about the value of the rest of the ‘03s. I think they are filler on Championship calibre teams. Players like Jesus and Keene would likely be hard pressed to be thrust into top 4 defence roles on Championship calibre teams Unless they specifically fill a role where a team has a specific gap. Neither of those players would get the same opportunity on teams already lined up with talent.

I really like Jesus. I think he was Niagara’s best acquisition of the offseason hands down. A 3rd and a 5th SHOCKED me. I think he’d be worth more than that now. To me, he is their highest value player potentially available. I just don’t think he moves the needle enough by himself from a recoup of assets perspective. Look at the Belanger deal last season as the comp for Jesus this deadline. I don’t think they’d recoup what they paid for Keane. I don’t think they’d recoup what they paid for Dann but I could see a team like Saginaw bite on him. He’d return next season as an OA and make a decent contribution this year.

But, again, I don’t see Niagara holding any premium assets from a deadline trade perspective. I think there are likley so many other players of higher value out there it may make it difficult for Niagara to move more than two players.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ok. Then I would agree with Dann. I’m not sure about the value of the rest of the ‘03s. I think they are filler on Championship calibre teams. Players like Jesus and Keene would likely be hard pressed to be thrust into top 4 defence roles on Championship calibre teams Unless they specifically fill a role where a team has a specific gap. Neither of those players would get the same opportunity on teams already lined up with talent.

I really like Jesus. I think he was Niagara’s best acquisition of the offseason hands down. A 3rd and a 5th SHOCKED me. I think he’d be worth more than that now. To me, he is their highest value player potentially available. I just don’t think he moves the needle enough by himself from a recoup of assets perspective. Look at the Belanger deal last season as the comp for Jesus this deadline. I don’t think they’d recoup what they paid for Keane. I don’t think they’d recoup what they paid for Dann but I could see a team like Saginaw bite on him. He’d return next season as an OA and make a decent contribution this year.

But, again, I don’t see Niagara holding any premium assets from a deadline trade perspective. I think there are likley so many other players of higher value out there it may make it difficult for Niagara to move more than two players.
I think this is where we really disagree. I’d say Jesus is the third best OA on that team; and Michaud & Zito would be good 2 & 3 centres for any team other than Flint and Missassauga

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think this is where we really disagree. I’d say Jesus is the third best OA on that team; and Michaud & Zito would be good 2 & 3 centres for any team other than Flint and Missassauga

Possible for Zito. Not sure about Michaud. I think Jesus will have more value. But, I could see Zito as well. Agreed.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Possible for Zito. Not sure about Michaud. I think Jesus will have more value. But, I could see Zito as well. Agreed.
I did not see much more than a potentially good physical PK & checking line centre for Michaud until firing of coach. Michaud has been really, really good for 2-:3 weeks imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad