Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The Sens have enough goal scorers. I think yo will find that they are hoping the 67's can teach Boucher how to be a like Marchand but also be a player that comes back and plays the whole rink.

That is what the experts on TV are saying Ottawa is missing. They draft guys that can score and think that that is all there is.
Now they have to learn that they have to play defence.

If you look at the history of this team players have been drafted high not because they can score it is because they can lay 2 way hockey.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Sens have enough goal scorers. I think yo will find that they are hoping the 67's can teach Boucher how to be a like Marchand but also be a player that comes back and plays the whole rink.

That is what the experts on TV are saying Ottawa is missing. They draft guys that can score and think that that is all there is.
Now they have to learn that they have to play defence.

If you look at the history of this team players have been drafted high not because they can score it is because they can lay 2 way hockey.

Marchand is a rat. I don’t see Boucher in that role. That role is reserved for a kid like Brady Stonehouse. I think more of a Keith Tkachuk type is where Boucher’s ceiling could be. A player with the ability to score goals but play a heavy game and maybe drop the gloves here and there when necessary. Play on a top line and contribute in more ways than as a goal scorer.

The challenge for Boucher is being able to develop both sides of that game while growing into the role. Most players of that ilk need time to gain the confidence to be able to take that role from day one. Boucher needs to be able to play a heavy game and stay out of the League office. IMO, Dirty hit the nail on the head with respect to Boucher. He needs to be able to pick his spots and not take so many dangerous chances. If he is unable to position himself to make proper hits then he needs to make less fo a commitment to the hits.

I really like Boucher but my concern from day one was whether he could stay in the lineup. his reputation as a heavy hitter flies in direct conflict with the way the league is officiated. It is unfortunate but I think we need less of the heavy play of Boucher and more of the skating and scoring. Pick spots better.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Marchand is a rat. I don’t see Boucher in that role. That role is reserved for a kid like Brady Stonehouse. I think more of a Keith Tkachuk type is where Boucher’s ceiling could be. A player with the ability to score goals but play a heavy game and maybe drop the gloves here and there when necessary. Play on a top line and contribute in more ways than as a goal scorer.

The challenge for Boucher is being able to develop both sides of that game while growing into the role. Most players of that ilk need time to gain the confidence to be able to take that role from day one. Boucher needs to be able to play a heavy game and stay out of the League office. IMO, Dirty hit the nail on the head with respect to Boucher. He needs to be able to pick his spots and not take so many dangerous chances. If he is unable to position himself to make proper hits then he needs to make less fo a commitment to the hits.

I really like Boucher but my concern from day one was whether he could stay in the lineup. his reputation as a heavy hitter flies in direct conflict with the way the league is officiated. It is unfortunate but I think we need less of the heavy play of Boucher and more of the skating and scoring. Pick spots better.
I agree that for the 67's Boucher scoring is a good thing but I am not sure that is what the Sens want. Looking at the sens and listening to the "experts" Ottawa needs players that can play both ends of the ice. That is not something that is taught to goal scorers. It was however one of the things that was always stressed here in Ottawa. look at the players that made the NHL from here and the fact that most of them are not top scorers in the league but all of them are/were leaders on their teams

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree that for the 67's Boucher scoring is a good thing but I am not sure that is what the Sens want. Looking at the sens and listening to the "experts" Ottawa needs players that can play both ends of the ice. That is not something that is taught to goal scorers. It was however one of the things that was always stressed here in Ottawa. look at the players that made the NHL from here and the fact that most of them are not top scorers in the league but all of them are/were leaders on their teams

You don’t turn players into something they are not. You draft a player at #10 overall because he hits hard and scores goals. First make sure he can hit hard and score goals at the NHL Level. Then, once his core competency is viable at the NHL level, fill in whatever gaps necessary to round out his game.

Just becuase he can hit hard and score goals at the NHL level doesn’t mean he is an NHL player Though. If the other areas of his game outweigh the positives, then he needs to do it at the AHL level. That is likley what will happen next year and maybe the year following.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the reason the senators signed and sent Boucher to the ‘67s is they believe Cameron is the coach to best develop him. The Sens made a huge investment with the 10th pick on a raw player they don’t expect to ever be on the top line/PP, they need Boucher to make it as the ultimate checker.
The WJC team Cameron selected to represent Canada shows he has an affinity for players with Boucher’s potential, and maybe his special project. God knows Cameron crushed on Marcus Foligno. Boucher has nowhere near the instincts of Marcus Foligno, but is a better skater and has a higher ceiling as a pro.
A poster on the wolves board thought Boucher was the dominant player in the game Sunday, so he might be headed in the right direction. We will see how things go, but an OA season under Cameron to become a good hitter at this level and hit the 90 pt mark just might be the best thing for Boucher and the Sens; and ‘67s obviously.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think the reason the senators signed and sent Boucher to the ‘67s is they believe Cameron is the coach to best develop him. The Sens made a huge investment with the 10th pick on a raw player they don’t expect to ever be on the top line/PP, they need Boucher to make it as the ultimate checker.
The WJC team Cameron selected to represent Canada shows he has an affinity for players with Boucher’s potential, and maybe his special project. God knows Cameron crushed on Marcus Foligno. Boucher has nowhere near the instincts of Marcus Foligno, but is a better skater and has a higher ceiling as a pro.
A poster on the wolves board thought Boucher was the dominant player in the game Sunday, so he might be headed in the right direction. We will see how things go, but an OA season under Cameron to become a good hitter at this level and hit the 90 pt mark just might be the best thing for Boucher and the Sens; and ‘67s obviously.
I agree the Sens have enough goal scorers.with Stutzle and debrinkcat they are good. What they are lacking as you said are the hitters and the players that realize there is more to the rink than the offensive zone.

Boucher at the NHL level could definitely be a Marchand type player that gets under your skin, is not afraid of going into the corner and making the hits as well as scoring and assisting.

OMG Marchand may be as you say a rat but name me a team that if he went on waivers or the trade market would not give their proverbial left testicle to get him. Another parallel might be Kadri in Calgary.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree the Sens have enough goal scorers.with Stutzle and debrinkcat they are good. What they are lacking as you said are the hitters and the players that realize there is more to the rink than the offensive zone.

Boucher at the NHL level could definitely be a Marchand type player that gets under your skin, is not afraid of going into the corner and making the hits as well as scoring and assisting.

OMG Marchand may be as you say a rat but name me a team that if he went on waivers or the trade market would not give their proverbial left testicle to get him. Another parallel might be Kadri in Calgary.
Boucher doesn’t have the temperament to be a rat. Stonehouse does. Boucher will never be a “Marchand type.”

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Boucher was very visible during the Sudbury game, that game was the most dominant I've seen him in a 67s uniform. If I were a Sens fan (I'm not), I'd like to see a lot more production out of him as a 10th overall pick though. Under a PPG as a 19-year old (almost 20-year old) power-forward with good offensive tools, on a good team with great linemates and lots of opportunity is disappointing. Sticking up for teammates is something that's part of his game, but he needs to be much better at picking his spots.

So now we're at home for a big weekend against a good team in Flint and our major rival this season in Peterborough, without our top RW (again) and presumably our top LW in Beck. Rohrer should be back; I heard he was quite ill with whatever respiratory virus is circulating right now.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Boucher was very visible during the Sudbury game, that game was the most dominant I've seen him in a 67s uniform. If I were a Sens fan (I'm not), I'd like to see a lot more production out of him as a 10th overall pick though. Under a PPG as a 19-year old (almost 20-year old) power-forward with good offensive tools, on a good team with great linemates and lots of opportunity is disappointing. Sticking up for teammates is something that's part of his game, but he needs to be much better at picking his spots.

So now we're at home for a big weekend against a good team in Flint and our major rival this season in Peterborough, without our top RW (again) and presumably our top LW in Beck. Rohrer should be back; I heard he was quite ill with whatever respiratory virus is circulating right now.

AND I have to admit when watching the home games hearing about Boucher’s “Pro Shot” about 15 times per game is getting rather annoying. If he had such a pro shot, he’d have double the goals.

Kid has a heavy shot but he doesn’t get it off in the same way as the elite scorers. Takes too much time and seems to always want to Brett Hull it on the power play. I’d like to see him start to snap it with a quicker release and beat the goalie more based on quickness than winding up and trying to beat them with power so much.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
AND I have to admit when watching the home games hearing about Boucher’s “Pro Shot” about 15 times per game is getting rather annoying. If he had such a pro shot, he’d have double the goals.

Kid has a heavy shot but he doesn’t get it off in the same way as the elite scorers. Takes too much time and seems to always want to Brett Hull it on the power play. I’d like to see him start to snap it with a quicker release and beat the goalie more based on quickness than winding up and trying to beat them with power so much.

For sure, I find that by the time he releases the puck one of the defenders is able to get a stick on it or block it. Or he shoots it wide...Boucher must lead the OHL in shots hitting the glass behind the net.

Remember Dylan Strome? He piled up a ton of points in the OHL (more than his teammate McDavid iirc). He had a lethal shot...in the OHL. With much less time and space in the big leagues, his big wind-up on his wrist shot just doesn't work and he seemingly hasn't been able to shorten his release in the pros (though he's a serviceable player...just not worth a 3rd overall pick in a very good draft).

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Nordiques fan...hum. Sorry but I don't think we can coexist on this thread😉. Lifelong Hab fan here and I hated the Nordiques. Dale Hunter to this day makes me cringe when I see him behind the London Bench after all these years. I hated the Nords so much....but I miss them..lol.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Nordiques fan...hum. Sorry but I don't think we can coexist on this thread😉. Lifelong Hab fan here and I hated the Nordiques. Dale Hunter to this day makes me cringe when I see him behind the London Bench after all these years. I hated the Nords so much....but I miss them..lol.

Yeah I grew up in Fredericton, NB with the Express (the Nordiques' farm team at the time), then moved to Quebec City with my family for a few of my formative hockey years during the dark days for the Nordiques franchise. My dad and I watched many games at Le Colisee...saw Sakic (during his first two years in the league), Lafleur and Stastny. I had a grudging respect for Montreal though and liked the way they played the game in the mid/late-80s and early 90s. I wouldn't have told anyone this but I secretly cheered for them against Boston during the old Adams division playoff games!

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Yeah I grew up in Fredericton, NB with the Express (the Nordiques' farm team at the time), then moved to Quebec City with my family for a few of my formative hockey years during the dark days for the Nordiques franchise. My dad and I watched many games at Le Colisee...saw Sakic (during his first two years in the league), Lafleur and Stastny. I had a grudging respect for Montreal though and liked the way they played the game in the mid/late-80s and early 90s. I wouldn't have told anyone this but I secretly cheered for them against Boston during the old Adams division playoff games!
Cheer against the Bruins Now I am truly upset. Used to love visiting family in Ottawa and going to 67 games with my black and yellow jacket. Same with visiting my cousin in Montreal. Man the fights we used to have.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Was pondering our 2021 draft as a large part of our success is due to our 05's. I think Jan Egert and our scouts deserve a big thanks! Keep in mind it was a hard draft as most of these kids barely played the year before making it even more difficult for the scouts. Our current players from that draft are
Barlas
Pinelli
Foster
Gardiner
Dever
Quick
Ewles
That's seven players 4 of which are playing major roles already! I would concede that despite his good play in the past month that Barlas as a 12th pick has been slightly underwhelming but I do think he will be a solid player for us the next 2-3 years although not a star. However Pinelli, Gardiner an d Foster all project as impact 18/19 y.o. Dever imo has shown this year at least a floor as a solid bottom 6 contributor. Ewles will be a solid D the next few years with more icetime. Quick is hard to judge due to limited viewing but has shown glimpses imo recently. I know ranking players is an inexact science but Hockey Prospects had Pinelli/Foster ranked lower than where they were picked (34/48). Barlas about where he was projected and Dever also. However Gardiner, Ewles, Quick were not in the top 150. So somebody did their homework and that draft sets us up for a few years. Great job scouting team!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Was pondering our 2021 draft as a large part of our success is due to our 05's. I think Jan Egert and our scouts deserve a big thanks! Keep in mind it was a hard draft as most of these kids barely played the year before making it even more difficult for the scouts. Our current players from that draft are
Barlas
Pinelli
Foster
Gardiner
Dever
Quick
Ewles
That's seven players 4 of which are playing major roles already! I would concede that despite his good play in the past month that Barlas as a 12th pick has been slightly underwhelming but I do think he will be a solid player for us the next 2-3 years although not a star. However Pinelli, Gardiner an d Foster all project as impact 18/19 y.o. Dever imo has shown this year at least a floor as a solid bottom 6 contributor. Ewles will be a solid D the next few years with more icetime. Quick is hard to judge due to limited viewing but has shown glimpses imo recently. I know ranking players is an inexact science but Hockey Prospects had Pinelli/Foster ranked lower than where they were picked (34/48). Barlas about where he was projected and Dever also. However Gardiner, Ewles, Quick were not in the top 150. So somebody did their homework and that draft sets us up for a few years. Great job scouting team!

From a League perspective, the 2021 draft wasn’t very strong.

Reactions: OHL4Life

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
pretty big no for the best player in the league lol

We’d then need to go acquire a 1st line winger/leading scorer to replace Pinelli.

Keep it simple and just go with Clarke.

Mews and picks is the reasonable ask. I think Ottawa would push for Marrelli and picks if there was a possibility.

The reality is Ottawa’s biggest need is at centre. Clarke is a D-Man. I don’t see a fit.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
We’d then need to go acquire a 1st line winger/leading scorer to replace Pinelli.

Keep it simple and just go with Clarke.

Mews and picks is the reasonable ask. I think Ottawa would push for Marrelli and picks if there was a possibility.

The reality is Ottawa’s biggest need is at centre. Clarke is a D-Man. I don’t see a fit.
What would be your offer for Clarke & Cardwell? I believe Cardwell leads the whole CHL in pts/game

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
What would be your offer for Clarke & Cardwell? I believe Cardwell leads the whole CHL in pts/game
I'll let OMG determine the value of that. I'd be more interested in getting either Cardwell or Vierling if we can't get Morrison from Hammy. We need a center.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think you might be jumping the gun a bit. The colts are 0.575 with an under performing goalie and missing ‘the best player in the league’.
Are the colts turning their attention to 2025-26?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino