Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
Was told at the last playoff game ottawa will not have training camp at lansdowne park and wont have preseason games at home . Good way to promote the team .

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The problem I see with the 67's is this. They have always been a tenant and except for making payroll and paying bills, the numbers did not matter Now they are the owners of the land and the area and not sure how to deal with the change.

Now everything they have needs to either make money or have the ability to make money. Not only that but now they have to take the consideration of the other business that probably pay most of the bills in mind.

Lrt's face it HUNT, Howard and Earl did not really give a crap about how the other businesses on the street did. Now, however, OSEG has to take that into account. To me, the big issue is that you can not please everyone.

Just like the EX had to move I think that it is unfortunately inevitable that the 67's may have to move. One of the things I have always found interesting about airports, sports arenas and bars is that many have been there a long time with no worries or complaints. Then some developer makes a killing selling housing around it and the new people although they got a deal on the price because of the noise complaints that the airport noise rock concerts and sports games interfere with their daily lives and ability to make money. OSEG would have been better served by not selling or renting to restaurant but making it a business hub for businesses that are 9-5 Mon to Friday. That would mean that they would not be affected by the other goings on at the facility.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
It's too bad that the team isn't showing off the Landsdowne area to potential new players.

The Ottawa 67’s sit alone at the top of the league with 10 prospects named to the OHL Gold Cup - Ottawa 67s

According to the article, Dylan Peterson is slated to play for HEO and Colby Ambrosio for HNO, but on the offical OHL Gold Cup page, they don't list Peterson on the HEO roster but Ambrosio is listed for HNO. I'd love to see the team flip Ambrosio, as I saw a list where he was the third ranked Minor Midget player playing in the US this past year.

Home | OHL Gold Cup

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The problem I see with the 67's is this. They have always been a tenant and except for making payroll and paying bills, the numbers did not matter Now they are the owners of the land and the area and not sure how to deal with the change.

Now everything they have needs to either make money or have the ability to make money. Not only that but now they have to take the consideration of the other business that probably pay most of the bills in mind.

Lrt's face it HUNT, Howard and Earl did not really give a crap about how the other businesses on the street did. Now, however, OSEG has to take that into account. To me, the big issue is that you can not please everyone.

Just like the EX had to move I think that it is unfortunately inevitable that the 67's may have to move. One of the things I have always found interesting about airports, sports arenas and bars is that many have been there a long time with no worries or complaints. Then some developer makes a killing selling housing around it and the new people although they got a deal on the price because of the noise complaints that the airport noise rock concerts and sports games interfere with their daily lives and ability to make money. OSEG would have been better served by not selling or renting to restaurant but making it a business hub for businesses that are 9-5 Mon to Friday. That would mean that they would not be affected by the other goings on at the facility.

We can’t play the “Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda” game. It was not up to OSEG to determine what needed to be done with that space. That decision was the City of Ottawa as they own (still own) the property. It was their decision as to what kind of development was to be placed there. They did open it to bid proposals but the reality is it was always planned to be mix use with residential, retail-restaurant, and business office space. That is what it is.

That said, you are correct. There is a challenging dichotomy there that places the 67’s down the totem pole for priority. Unfortunately, the 67’s fans are the ones directly to blame for that team being down the totem pole. The problem is the 67s fans, in general, come to the game and leave. They do not patronize the retail-restaurant outlets. The Red Blacks fans as well as one night event fans (concerts etc) patronize the retail-restaurant utlets. Therefore, because the 67’s games actually generate negative business for those outlets, accomodations are made to lessen the negative impact on those businesses during 67’s games. That kills the 67’s fans and perpetuates the downward spiral of the attendance. So, they cannot have 67’s games on Friday nights because 67’s fans don’t eat there before or after the game. They take up available parking making it more difficult for non-hockey patrons to patronize the restaurants.

This is why I have said since day one that the 67’s need to line themselves up with the restaurants. They need to target the EXACT SAME PEOPLE THE RESTAURANTS ARE TARGETTING!!!!

Unfortunately, the 67’s organization has not realized this and are still targetting young families who don’t have the time or the money to patronize the restaurants. So, the restaurants will always moan and groan about the 67’s and will continually put pressure on OSEG to put 67s games at off peak times.

I had a lengthy conversation about this with OSEG but they don’t get it. They don’t have people within their organization that understand hospitality. They need a Director of Synergy for Lansdowne Park to ensure their is synergy between all the outlets. But, alas, they refuse to wake the hell up.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's too bad that the team isn't showing off the Landsdowne area to potential new players.

The Ottawa 67’s sit alone at the top of the league with 10 prospects named to the OHL Gold Cup - Ottawa 67s

According to the article, Dylan Peterson is slated to play for HEO and Colby Ambrosio for HNO, but on the offical OHL Gold Cup page, they don't list Peterson on the HEO roster but Ambrosio is listed for HNO. I'd love to see the team flip Ambrosio, as I saw a list where he was the third ranked Minor Midget player playing in the US this past year.

Home | OHL Gold Cup

I imagine because of the cost of maintaining an ice surface, the reason why the 67’s aren’t doing their off season work there is because they have already removed the ice and will install the ice just before the regular seasons starts wihich is usually upwards of a month after training camp.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Maybe someone can confirm this but it is my understanding that players that want to go NCAA only get a certain number of training camp days? Something like 48 hours? I am not sure if that is total or whether it is per session.

So, each of the three NCAA commits are not attending the rookie camp. That suggests that maybe there are some restrictions. All three were named to OHL Cup rosters so it is not like they are off the radar of the kids in their age group.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Maybe someone can confirm this but it is my understanding that players that want to go NCAA only get a certain number of training camp days? Something like 48 hours? I am not sure if that is total or whether it is per session.

So, each of the three NCAA commits are not attending the rookie camp. That suggests that maybe there are some restrictions. All three were named to OHL Cup rosters so it is not like they are off the radar of the kids in their age group.

Unless it changed, it was 48hours. I stand to be corrected but you may be able to stay longer, but you have to pay your way after that.

the dog

May 16, 2014
thats right..also you may participatein an intra squad scrimmage ie blue vs white...may not particpate in any scrimmages or exhibition games against outside teams..

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Unless it changed, it was 48hours. I stand to be corrected but you may be able to stay longer, but you have to pay your way after that.

To maintain a player's NCAA eligibility, he may participate in an OHL camp (rookie or main) for 48 hours and then, if he wishes to stay beyond the 48 hours, must prove he is paying his own hotel/meal bills by keeping receipts.

He may participate in any intra-squad scrimmages but once his name appears on a gamesheet for an exhibition game (vs. another OHL team), he loses his NCAA eligibility.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG Thank you

It makes sense from that standpoint that they are hurting. The issue is that the red black and the soccer team are in the same financial zone as the Sens. They are pro teams. The 67's are not the only team with this issue. Kingston's new rink was built around the idea that the fans would use the downtown eateries. Does not happen. No matter what you try the OHL is a family game and not the same as a Pro team. Let's face it there has only been one or 2 restaurants that benefitted from sports at Lansdowne and as I understand it one is gone the other is too far away. Personally I, unfortunately, do not see the 67's making big strides. There are ways to do it it is just a matter of deciding if it is financially viable.

Giving out discount coupons for the restaurants. giving them tickets to sell at a discount on game night, Free parking if you eat at X, but like I said there are not many ways to do it. Offering a rebate at the door if you show a dinner receipt from the restaurant.

Like I said it is difficult especially in this day and age where it is so friggin expensive to go to games and the talent is not great.

The 67's did ok when they were the only game in town during the winter. Now there is too much going on in the city and the prices are too high.
If the legue has to pay minimum wage and such for players I think the OHL will die, unfortunately.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Can anyone tell me if a player playing in the USHL is restricted from the NCAA or is their system different? Just wondering as I can not see Petersen playing 2 years in the Jr Sens system.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Can anyone tell me if a player playing in the USHL is restricted from the NCAA or is their system different? Just wondering as I can not see Petersen playing 2 years in the Jr Sens system.

USHL players, like OHL players, have every conceivable expense paid however, USHL players receive no pay, per diem, stipend or any other remuneration (directly). Therefore USHL players remain eligible for NCAA scholarships.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG Thank you

It makes sense from that standpoint that they are hurting. The issue is that the red black and the soccer team are in the same financial zone as the Sens. They are pro teams. The 67's are not the only team with this issue. Kingston's new rink was built around the idea that the fans would use the downtown eateries. Does not happen. No matter what you try the OHL is a family game and not the same as a Pro team. Let's face it there has only been one or 2 restaurants that benefitted from sports at Lansdowne and as I understand it one is gone the other is too far away. Personally I, unfortunately, do not see the 67's making big strides. There are ways to do it it is just a matter of deciding if it is financially viable.

Giving out discount coupons for the restaurants. giving them tickets to sell at a discount on game night, Free parking if you eat at X, but like I said there are not many ways to do it. Offering a rebate at the door if you show a dinner receipt from the restaurant.

Like I said it is difficult especially in this day and age where it is so friggin expensive to go to games and the talent is not great.

The 67's did ok when they were the only game in town during the winter. Now there is too much going on in the city and the prices are too high.
If the legue has to pay minimum wage and such for players I think the OHL will die, unfortunately.

That is why I say they need to change their target market. It is one thing to look at the Professional side of sports; however, how many people go out to dinner before a movie or for snacks after the movie? MANY.

I remember Jeff saying that the NHL wasn’t competition for the 67’s when he bought the team. He said that because of the pricing. A 67’s ticket was similarly priced to a movie ticket. Even though that has changed, it doesn’t mean it still can’t apply. So, if you look at the target market for Cineplex (and there is a Cineplex theatre in Lansdowne Park), that is the target they need to start to identify with.

Lansdowne Park is now a one stop shop for entertainment. All other outlets and activities encircle that philosophy OTHER THAN the 67’s. OSEG is Choosing to push a square peg through a round hole. They need to find their round peg. Targeting Minor Hockey kids is not a round peg. Minor hockey kids are fine as a secondary audience. Their audience needs to go back to being middle income adults with kids that have moved on and seniors...people with disposable income that don’t want to pay $60+ for an NHL ticket in the 300’s level. They need to bridge the gap with residents in the Glebe so they have walking traffic. Work with the restaurants to offer Dinner and a Game packages with set menu’s and guaranteed service times. They have the outdoor market on Sunday’s that can somehow be incorporated like buying the food outside and bring it in. Loyalty programs for 67’s fans in the restaurants for repeat patronage. Discounted wings and nachos after the games when you present your ticket. Extended shuttle bus service to the external lots so those that park at Carleton, for example, can hang out for a couple hours after the game to enjoy the other outlets and not worry about getting back to their cars.

There are a lot of things that can be done if they find a way to engage both sides. But they don’t.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
To maintain a player's NCAA eligibility, he may participate in an OHL camp (rookie or main) for 48 hours and then, if he wishes to stay beyond the 48 hours, must prove he is paying his own hotel/meal bills by keeping receipts.

He may participate in any intra-squad scrimmages but once his name appears on a gamesheet for an exhibition game (vs. another OHL team), he loses his NCAA eligibility.

So, this sounds like it can be multiple events per year provided each event is less than 48 hours. So, there would be no valid excuse not to attend if yo are NCAA bound other than you have no intention of entertaining offers.

That said, if they do attend, it may weaken their negotiating position. As it stands now, the 67’s would probably pony up 1st round pick compensation to all three of them regardless of their participation. If they show up they could hurt their stock with poor play and also by showing up it shows they are interested which means they may take a lessor offer to sign.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
As it stands now, the 67’s would probably pony up 1st round pick compensation to all three of them regardless of their participation.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe there is a limit to the number of "gold packages" (first 2 round's picks) any team can offer under the CHL Education Package system.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe there is a limit to the number of "gold packages" (first 2 round's picks) any team can offer under the CHL Education Package system.

There are a certain number of packages. But, I am sure there are ways around it that aren’t circumventing the rules.

Every player gets one year per year played. Then, on top of that, they can negotiate additional inclusions. As far as I am aware, the Gold Package includes accommodation-meals and books. The thing I don’t know is if the teams can give a player everything including say a reimbursment of 50% of the cost of books and it simply not count as a gold package. If that is the case, they could give a gold package minus a total of $1200 for half the cost of books. That wouldn’t be much of a difference between the gold package which could be $70,000 for tuition, residence and meals for four years.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If anybody is going to the scrimmage this am comments/observations would be appreciated as I can't attend.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
4on4 format today-I’m assuming because of the short benches. Would of been nice if there were a few more bodies to play the real version but whatever. Quinn was -as expected- dominant and he and Tolnai played whole scrimmage together and hooked up on more than a few nice plays. Maggio (5th rounder) looked good too

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
4on4 format today-I’m assuming because of the short benches. Would of been nice if there were a few more bodies to play the real version but whatever. Quinn was -as expected- dominant and he and Tolnai played whole scrimmage together and hooked up on more than a few nice plays. Maggio (5th rounder) looked good too

Going in, if you were to pre-pick three forwards to watch, those would be the three I would think. Maggie will be a good one. I know we hear it all the time but that one is one I was VERY surprised to see slip to us in the 5th round. Depth will probably keep him in JrA this season but I can see him in the same situation as Quinn next season, a late callup after the JrA season is over with a guaranteed spot the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad