Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There are other commitments that also keep players from participating in OHL camps and similar events. The 67s is a great OHL organization and it is not that these players don't appreciate being drafted. Just to be clear.

I am sure all players appreciate being drafted. They work damn hard and that hard work culminates into being recognized for their skill.

Ultimately, it is up to the families to determine the best route for development, both on and off ice. The 67’s drafted three players all with tremendous skill that could walk into their crowded lineup and contribute from day one. If those players choose an alternate route, then best of luck. They deserve the respect they have earned.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Sorry for the intrusion. I was hoping someone might have some information on Sean McGurn who played MM in Ottawa. Does that name mean anything? One of the more highly touted prospects from the capital region? Thanks.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Was just looking at stats on elite prospects. Austin Swankler our third rounder 2017 63 38 63 101pts. Don't know how strong his league is but pretty impressive stat line.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yes i knew he was commited but was impressed by his stats. Unlikely he plays here but you never know if he gets drafted in nhl.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
sirius

The problem is that as you hear in the playoffs a lot of players are going from the University to NHL. To be honest I think if I had a son that was a good player and got offered a 3-year full ride scholarship to Boston or a top-level University I would take it over the OHL.

The main reason is that he would get to do his high school without the OHL hassles.
The university, if it is a good one, will not only provide him with a hockey training but also a degree if for some reason he can no longer play.

If he is good it seems that the NHL scouts and hockey Canada find them no matter what league.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
sirius

The problem is that as you hear in the playoffs a lot of players are going from the University to NHL. To be honest I think if I had a son that was a good player and got offered a 3-year full ride scholarship to Boston or a top-level University I would take it over the OHL.

The main reason is that he would get to do his high school without the OHL hassles.
The university, if it is a good one, will not only provide him with a hockey training but also a degree if for some reason he can no longer play.

If he is good it seems that the NHL scouts and hockey Canada find them no matter what league.
I would agree with this but in most cases kids do not get offered a full rider- most kids get offered partial plans. Only the "top" kids get offered the full riders.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
sirius

Agreed but once drafted some nhl teams will prefer OHL to speed up development so they will suggest if not yet signed and decree if they are signed where they want them to play. It depends on player some will do better in chl some can use the longer development time of ncaa. I do agree though if a kid can get a full ride in ncaa...hard to pass on.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The problem with the NCAA is as Outsiders says. Not many offers are a full ride and even if it is a full ride, it is not always 100% guaranteed. There are conditions usually assigned to it. The biggest condition is they have to remain on the team.

IF you take a look, many of the top players from this draft that have commitments are to Michigan. That school will only be able to accept so many players. It works both ways. The school accepts a commitment and a player makes one but it doesn’t mean anything until the player actually attends the school and the school NEEDS the player. With so many commitments to Michigan, it is very possible that a player, like Swankler, doesn’t make the team and is on the outside looking in. If he has a guaranteed scholarship then he is fine but if he doesn’t, he is then looking for other opportunities. That could be a different school or the OHL for example.

The other NCAA risk is lack of grades. We have seen players pretty much booted out of programs because of low grades. Another is injury.

So, although, on the surface, the NCAA seems like a good option, it many not be as good as one thinks. It does carry some risk. If my son were a projected NHL player, I would go CHL. IF he wasn’t, I would go NCAA. I believe the CHL option is best for development because of the advanced competition at 16 and 17 years old. But, if he isn’t a projected NHLer then the development aspect is secondary. The focus would be on after hockey and I believe the NCAA option is much better. The kid stays home through high school and plays a much more local hockey with less travel. HE then plays a shorter schedule with more emphasis on education at the NCAA level. MAny of those schools have tremendous Alumni Associations that give the graduates a real leg up finding employment, especially for athletes.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Re: NCAA vs. CHL

1) Only 1-3 of 10 "commits" ever receive a scholarship and play DI hockey (obviously it's quite often used as a bargaining chip in negotiations with CHL teams).

2) Of those that do, only about half get a "full ride", although many partial athletic scholarships are "topped-up" with academic scholarships and/or financial aid.

3) ZERO NCAA scholarships are 100% guaranteed. As many posters have mentioned, you must make the team, stay on the team, keep up your grades, avoid significant injury, and, probably most importantly, behave in such a manner that fits with the school's code of conduct on the ice, on campus, on the road, and at home during the summer months and ALWAYS on any type of social media.

4) Unless you are a top-10 level CHL draft pick (and often even then) AND an A+ student, the DI school doesn't want you until you're 19-20. This means you have to have a 4-year Tier II career, at least 2 of which are after high school.

5) The DI game isn't for everyone. As a 20-year old rookie you may be a healthy scratch or a 4th liner. Depending how far your team goes, you only have 32-42 games (U Michigan played 42 including the frozen Four final), including exhibition, regular season, tournament and playoff games to try and move up the depth chart. Compare that to 68 + + in the CHL.

Bottom line: Every single case is different. There is no better way.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Kevin Bahl with 1 G 1 A in Canada's 6-4 win over the USA in the world U18 championship, i thought Graeme Clark was on this team as well or was he cut?

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Re: NCAA vs. CHL

1) Only 1-3 of 10 "commits" ever receive a scholarship and play DI hockey (obviously it's quite often used as a bargaining chip in negotiations with CHL teams).

2) Of those that do, only about half get a "full ride", although many partial athletic scholarships are "topped-up" with academic scholarships and/or financial aid.

3) ZERO NCAA scholarships are 100% guaranteed. As many posters have mentioned, you must make the team, stay on the team, keep up your grades, avoid significant injury, and, probably most importantly, behave in such a manner that fits with the school's code of conduct on the ice, on campus, on the road, and at home during the summer months and ALWAYS on any type of social media.

4) Unless you are a top-10 level CHL draft pick (and often even then) AND an A+ student, the DI school doesn't want you until you're 19-20. This means you have to have a 4-year Tier II career, at least 2 of which are after high school.

5) The DI game isn't for everyone. As a 20-year old rookie you may be a healthy scratch or a 4th liner. Depending how far your team goes, you only have 32-42 games (U Michigan played 42 including the frozen Four final), including exhibition, regular season, tournament and playoff games to try and move up the depth chart. Compare that to 68 + + in the CHL.

Bottom line: Every single case is different. There is no better way.
Agree with most of what you say but point 3 is way off. Once you sign with the school (not a verbal commitment), they are committing to you. There's no guarantee you will play but they will honor the scholarship regardless of on-ice play and/or injury. They can revoke a scholarship if you do something stupid (like accept money from someone like a booster, play for another team for money, break the code of conduct, etc.) but that is really really rare. You cannot be penalized for poor play or injury though.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Agree with most of what you say but point 3 is way off. Once you sign with the school (not a verbal commitment), they are committing to you. There's no guarantee you will play but they will honor the scholarship regardless of on-ice play and/or injury. They can revoke a scholarship if you do something stupid (like accept money from someone like a booster, play for another team for money, break the code of conduct, etc.) but that is really really rare. You cannot be penalized for poor play or injury though.

You are correct. My mistake. A signed scholarship can only be revoked if the athlete becomes ineligible (academically, or for accepting any kind of pay, prize, gift or unauthorized expense reimbursement), fraud, misconduct, or if he quits.

I'm sure the stories I've heard of players losing scholarships due to injury was before the scholarship was actually signed.

90% of the "commitments" you hear of from hockey players are verbal and a player commitment to the school, not from it.

Minor-Midgets, in grade 10, are not allowed to even be contacted by NCAA schools. The school is allowed to respond to your (or your agent's) contact, I believe a maximum of 6 times, before Christmas in your junior year (grade 11) in high school, and by that time you've been drafted into the OHL and are mid-way through your first season in junior.

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
You are correct. My mistake. A signed scholarship can only be revoked if the athlete becomes ineligible (academically, or for accepting any kind of pay, prize, gift or unauthorized expense reimbursement), fraud, misconduct, or if he quits.

I'm sure the stories I've heard of players losing scholarships due to injury was before the scholarship was actually signed.

90% of the "commitments" you hear of from hockey players are verbal and a player commitment to the school, not from it.

Minor-Midgets, in grade 10, are not allowed to even be contacted by NCAA schools. The school is allowed to respond to your (or your agent's) contact, I believe a maximum of 6 times, before Christmas in your junior year (grade 11) in high school, and by that time you've been drafted into the OHL and are mid-way through your first season in junior.
This is a great site for info on all of this. Frequently Asked Questions - College Hockey, Inc.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
If I were GM today, here are three moves that could really bolster the team for next year:

1) Swap one of the big 2000 born D for one of Saginaw's top 2000 born C. Damien Giroux from Hanmer could be a really good target- he had 43 points this year. Another C option that could be available is Brady Gilmour, a '99 birthday who had 25 pts in 41 games last year with lots of injuries. He was drafted by Detroit last year in the 7th round but could be a two year player for Ottawa.

2) Acquire a big, heavy OA forward to replace Travis Barron. The cost of these players is usually 2 x 2nd round picks and the team has plenty of those going forward.

3) Draft the best European Goalie available. If the European goalie ban isn't lifted, trade for the best two year option available (ideally a 19 year old who will return as an OA) so as not to go through this dilemma again next year.

In the draft:

Overpay and flip Oshawa's 3rd rounder, a 5th rounder with a 2nd rounder next year and move into the top part of the second round in a deal with Owen Sound, who needs picks and always finds value in the top part of the draft. This would give Ottawa the 24th overall pick.

1st round (6th overall)- Take the BPA. If it's a Centre like Tolnai or Vierling, all the better but if somehow Jamie Drysdale slides because of reporting issues I would take him and do everything possible to sign him. If he doesn't sign, take the Comp pick and likely six or seven picks to help bulk up at the trade deadline.

2nd round (24th overall)- Take the best forward available. If somehow, Barnes from Cornwall is available, pick him quickly!

2nd round (35th overall)- Take the best Goalie available and do everything possible to support him and coach him up. With what I've been reading about all of the Depth, there is a chance that there won't be a Goalie off the board at this point.

3rd round (44th overall)- Take the best Defenceman available- reports are that this year's Defense class is very deep. Maybe Donovan Sebrango who plays at CIH but who has committed to Boston University if he would report.

All rounds going forward- players with upside and another Goalie in the 5th or 6th to give the team another development option.

Your first option may be available as I hear Gilmour being a name that Saginaw may want to move. I don't think Girouix would ever be moved, but I can see Gilmour being traded. He did have an arm injury, but I think he has more potential that has been shown. I think he is from that area, so playing at home may be an attraction.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Have a great summer gang and hope that all your summer days are hot and beautiful like they are here all year round.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Been away a while. Does anybody know if they will allow drafting goalies at the import draft as rumored a while back?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Been away a while. Does anybody know if they will allow drafting goalies at the import draft as rumored a while back?

I sure hope so! No idea what they could do for Plan B and I'd rather the team use the stockpile of picks to add high scoring forwards

According to this article from London's Ryan Pyette (seems as tapped in as anybody in the league), teams are being told that they will be allowed to draft import goaltenders.

http://lfpress.com/sports/hockey/ju...hockey-future-will-likely-not-include-knights

Last edited:

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
I sure hope so! No idea what they could do for Plan B and I'd rather the team use the stockpile of picks to add high scoring forwards

According to this article from London's Ryan Pyette (seems as tapped in as anybody in the league), teams are being told that they will be allowed to draft import goaltenders.

http://lfpress.com/sports/hockey/ju...hockey-future-will-likely-not-include-knights

The latest "official word" was February 24th (David Branch says lifting European goalie ban would not be about CHL righting a wrong) but, like BarberPole9 suggests, quoting the Pyette article, it sounds like it may be imminent.

FWIW an NHL scout told me during the 67's/Bulldogs series it was a "done deal".

BTW I love how Branch says lifting the ban is "not about righting a wrong". Forget the spin; do what's best for the game.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sounds like Petes goalie Dylan Wells will be back for one more year of junior. I could see him moved before the start of the season... 67s would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad