Speculation: Ottawa’s 1st RP

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Greig and JBD ars far from 1st rd talent. And Colin white was a 1st rounder, that's not what he's worth anymore. The only valuable pieces you are sending are Pinto and a 1st in a terrible draft.

Think more like

1st 2021
Sanderson
Pinto
Another 1st rd pick talent wise

Greig and JBD are recent 1st rounders who have done nothing but improve their stock since being drafted, they are obviously "first round talent". I don't disagree that you don't get get Eichel without starting with Sanderson and a 1st, but you don't need to discredit two very good prospects in the process.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Depending on how the lottery ends up, if Buffalo gets #1 and Ottawa gets #2, I can see a swap happening. On the condition that Ottawa is not picking Beniers, of course.

#1 for #2 + (if Ottawa has one or more, a later 2nd. If the Sens only have 1, a 3rd) + the promise that Ottawa is not picking the guy the Sabres want
Yeah, I can totally see the sends moving a #2 overall pick with an add just to move up to #1 and not pick the guy Buffalo wants.... Wouldn't it just make more sense for Sens to not do the trade and just draft #2 after Buffalo chooses the guy the want?

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Your choice between K'Andre Miller and Nils Lundkvist, plus Pavel Buchnevich

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Greig and JBD ars far from 1st rd talent. And Colin white was a 1st rounder, that's not what he's worth anymore. The only valuable pieces you are sending are Pinto and a 1st in a terrible draft.

Think more like

1st 2021
Sanderson
Pinto

Respectfully disagree on the assessment of JBD, Greig, and the very top end of this draft. White wasn't meant as a first round talent/first round value.

Greig was a first round pick last draft that has performed very strongly this season and projects to make an impact in the WJC for Canada should the tournament happen. JBD had a very successful college career and was also a solid shut-down defenseman for a gold medal winning Canada and the WJC. They're both still first round talents. There are some very good players at the top of this draft. I think "weak draft" is fair, and also accentuated by the fact that is a mystery bag draft with many of the prospects not playing much. The Sens' pick won't be down in the muddy waters of the mid first round and beyond, it will be at the top end, where the quality players are.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you mentioned as the asking price, but I think it would be just that: the initial asking price. Something like 2021 1st, Sanderson, Pinto, and Norris would make sense as a starting ask for Buffalo. The starting point of the negotiations are always higher than where the final price ends up. At the end of the day, I could see Buffalo saying no to any trade. We'll never know whether Eichel wants out, or if he's completely content in Buffalo and wants to make things work there. This thread isn't about that though, nor was it the point of my initial comment. It was about the conditions under which moving our first makes sense - if Melnyk gives the green light to spend, and we use the pick to bring in a first line center or a top pair defense while shelling out the cash to sign the other top player in free agency. If any of those things aren't in play, we shouldn't move the pick.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Depending on how the lottery ends up, if Buffalo gets #1 and Ottawa gets #2, I can see a swap happening. On the condition that Ottawa is not picking Beniers, of course.

#1 for #2 + (if Ottawa has one or more, a later 2nd. If the Sens only have 1, a 3rd) + the promise that Ottawa is not picking the guy the Sabres want
Why would they give up the assets if buffalos not taking who they’d want at ?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Yeah, I can totally see the sends moving a #2 overall pick with an add just to move up to #1 and not pick the guy Buffalo wants.... Wouldn't it just make more sense for Sens to not do the trade and just draft #2 after Buffalo chooses the guy the want?
but then Buffalo doesn't get all the extra goodies...c'mon.. catch up

Reactions: TGWL

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
If I may a different question. Why would OTT trade its pick? They are rebuilding and should be looking for as much young talent as they should get. If a team just missed the playoff and you think the one now player makes a them a playoff winning team, ok I can go there. But one or two vet players doesn't make OTT a contender.

Expansion draft + flat cap may make a very good player available who otherwise may not have been.

Top 4 pick is "probably" something you hold on to, but it doesn't hurt to explore trade possibilities in this current climate.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

Think more like

1st 2021
Sanderson
Pinto
As a Senators fan, you'll likely be disappointed with the return if you trade away your franchise player.

More along the lines of:

This years first (top 5 pick)
Colin White (young Roster player&salary reasons)
Pick 2 of Pinto/Greig/Jarventie/Thomson/Brannstrom/Formenton
Pick one of Sokolov/Crookshank/Gustavsson/Sogaard
Then Multiple picks

Ottawa isn't the team you want to trade with if you're trading away Eichel, New York probably is since you'll likley be able to get Kakko in return.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
As a Senators fan, you'll likely be disappointed with the return if you trade away your franchise player.

More along the lines of:

This years first (top 5 pick)
Colin White (young Roster player&salary reasons)
Pick 2 of Pinto/Greig/Jarventie/Thomson/Brannstrom/Formenton
Pick one of Sokolov/Crookshank/Gustavsson/Sogaard
Then Multiple picks

Ottawa isn't the team you want to trade with if you're trading away Eichel, New York probably is since you'll likley be able to get Kakko in return.

Doubt it. LA seems the probable team to get him. Out of conference and can make just as good of an offer as NY. I don’t see Kakko in any offer so...

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Expansion draft + flat cap may make a very good player available who otherwise may not have been.

Top 4 pick is "probably" something you hold on to, but it doesn't hurt to explore trade possibilities in this current climate.
If you want to make the case OTT should trade a 2nd for a player someone could lose for free in ED I agree 100%. But pick 4 nah.
Same with flat cap. TBL has proven how to circumvent the cap. So no stars will be out there. Good players sure. But pick 4 players. Doubt it. And of course there is always trusting Smellyuck will spend money.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Matt Tkachuk for a top 3 pick + Nick Paul

Beniers
Guenther
Power

any of those three would be huge adds for the Flames if we do go for a quick rebuild. That said I’d prefer to go after Bowen Byram for Tkachuk as I think the Avs have the depth on the blue line to make that trade.
I'd do this...provided the brothers want to play together long term. Everyone always thinks that its some sort of dream to play with a sibling, but it would be up to BT and MT to let Ottawa know that no boundaries are being crossed.

Reactions: saskriders

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

Think more like

1st 2021
Sanderson
Pinto

Why bother having a discussion with someone who is making shit up as they go?

Better to have said nothing at all.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Why bother having a discussion with someone who is making shit up as they go?

Better to have said nothing at all.
Greig and JBD both were drafted late in the 1st rd, The difference between them and an early 2nd / mid 2nd rd pick is inexistant.

If the Sens are triyng to get Eichel out of Buffalo, it'll cost them a lot more than a couple of late 1st rnder / early 2nd rder and a top5 pick in a shit draft.

If theya ren't prepared to give out Sanderson + Pinto + their pick this year + Another good player (Batherson type i'd say), BUF GM hangs-up and looks somewhere else.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020

if Ottawa knows who Buffalo wants and doesnt want him why would they waste an asset?

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I'd give both Minnesota firsts and your choice of Dumba/Greenway as an opening offer.

I think the Sens would be in on this if we could make it a three-way trade to get a single player worth more than Dumba. Some teams may be more willing to move more for an established player, picks, and some Sens prospects rather than just the high first and Sens prospects. Dumba is a good player, but I think the point of moving the pick would be quantity for the best quality we could get.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Greig and JBD both were drafted late in the 1st rd, The difference between them and an early 2nd / mid 2nd rd pick is inexistant.

If the Sens are triyng to get Eichel out of Buffalo, it'll cost them a lot more than a couple of late 1st rnder / early 2nd rder and a top5 pick in a shit draft.

If theya ren't prepared to give out Sanderson + Pinto + their pick this year + Another good player (Batherson type i'd say), BUF GM hangs-up and looks somewhere else.

Draft position =/= talent

Batherson is worth more than JBD and Greig. Likely together. JBD is also already an NHLer.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Draft position =/= talent

Batherson is worth more than JBD and Greig. Likely together. JBD is also already an NHLer.
Doesn't change any of the things I've said.

BUF GM has said he'd be looking for 4 X 1st rd picks talent. With at least 2 top6 / top2 D guy in there.

White, a 1st in a bad draft and 2 bottom 6er doesn't cut it.

It Starts with Sanderson (top2 D) , 2021 1st, Pinto (potential top6 C, more lilly #3C), + Something else that'd be equal to a 1st rd pick w/ potential of top6 talent. Greig and JBD aren't that.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Doesn't change any of the things I've said.

BUF GM has said he'd be looking for 4 X 1st rd picks talent. With at least 2 top6 / top2 D guy in there.

White, a 1st in a bad draft and 2 bottom 6er doesn't cut it.

It Starts with Sanderson (top2 D) , 2021 1st, Pinto (potential top6 C, more lilly #3C), + Something else that'd be equal to a 1st rd pick w/ potential of top6 talent. Greig and JBD aren't that.

I'm not arguing against what you think Eichel is worth, I'm trying to help you understand that you are THOROUGHLY underevaluating Greig especially, as well as JBD.

Also Top2 D >>> Top6 F

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Here's the fun Devils Grab bag offer!

Nolan Foote, Mukhamadulin, Nicolas Daws, and NYI 2021 1st round pick

for

Ottawa's 1st round pick
:naughty:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Bad timing. You need to ask this question after the lottery drawing, when it’s known and it makes sense to discuss. It’s a time suck today. Too many wild@$$ assumptions.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
With their internal salary cap, I think the Sens should always keep their 1st picks and hope to have cheap young talent and maximize their ELC, until they are ready for a cup run, then and only then they should trade away a 1st.

Reactions: Boud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad