Speculation: Ottawa’s 1st RP

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
As others have said, Ottawa has or should soon have plenty of prospect depth. They need high-end players. They’re keeping this pick.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I'd be looking to move it if Melnyk was willing to open his wallet. If we could move it to get Eichel without touching the roster much, then sign Hamilton, we'd be in business. If Melnyk isn't willing to spend for that, then hold onto the pick and keep building.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I'd be looking to move it if Melnyk was willing to open his wallet. If we could move it to get Eichel without touching the roster much, then sign Hamilton, we'd be in business. If Melnyk isn't willing to spend for that, then hold onto the pick and keep building.

I don’t know if you want to be a team coming off a last place finish and running into cap issues already

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Depending on how the lottery ends up, if Buffalo gets #1 and Ottawa gets #2, I can see a swap happening. On the condition that Ottawa is not picking Beniers, of course.

#1 for #2 + (if Ottawa has one or more, a later 2nd. If the Sens only have 1, a 3rd) + the promise that Ottawa is not picking the guy the Sabres want
if there's a promise not to pick the guy buffalo wants, why make the trade?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I would consider trading the pick if we can get a good young top pairing RD to play with Chabot. Someone younger than 26 who is either signed to term (4+ years) or has some rfa control.

If not then Ottawa should keep the pick

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Matt Tkachuk for a top 3 pick + Nick Paul

Beniers
Guenther
Power

any of those three would be huge adds for the Flames if we do go for a quick rebuild. That said I’d prefer to go after Bowen Byram for Tkachuk as I think the Avs have the depth on the blue line to make that trade.

I think this is a very fair offer, value wise. I know Matt Tkachuk doesn’t scream superstar but he is a very good winger with a high level of compete and is not “magic beans”.

Just wondering if it works positionally? I know all of Tkachuk, Tkachuk and Stutzle are all listed as LW but can play other positions.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I would consider trading the pick if we can get a good young top pairing RD to play with Chabot. Someone younger than 26 who is either signed to term (4+ years) or has some rfa control.

If not then Ottawa should keep the pick

I don’t see another team giving that up what you are asking for, for a draft pick... that’s what you “hope and pray” for that pick to turn into. I will put a condition on that... unless this were the 2015 draft and you had one of the top 2 picks.

As an example, would you trade a Chabot for next years first overall where it is believed there will be much better high level talent available.... Wright, Lambert, Savoie?

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I don’t see another team giving that up what you are asking for, for a draft pick... that’s what you “hope and pray” for that pick to turn into. I will put a condition on that... unless this were the 2015 draft and you had one of the top 2 picks.

Oh for sure, I don't see it either and if someone was on the table of that caliber Ottawa would need to add. That is pretty much the main position I would deal the pick for. Of course if an elite player becomes available that changes things

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
As others have said, Ottawa has or should soon have plenty of prospect depth. They need high-end players. They’re keeping this pick.

Well, you're right, Ottawa does need high-end players, which is why they should consider trading this pick for a high end player.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
I hope as a sens fan we do not trade this pick. I am much more confident in the future success of this team then most. This is the last piece we need to hit a blue chipper to boost the team to the next level of compete.

Fortunately I'm pretty sure the organizations plan is to keep the pick as well.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa has a glut of high end defense and forward prospects already. We also have 3 x 2nd rd picks this year so another one just adds to the logjam that is the sens pipeline.

Would only trade for another blue chip #1C, #1RW or #1RD prospect from a recent draft.

Edit: mistake sens have 2 x 2nd rd picks in 2021. 2 x 2nds and 2 x 3rds in 2022

Last edited:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I hope as a sens fan we do not trade this pick. I am much more confident in the future success of this team then most. This is the last piece we need to hit a blue chipper to boost the team to the next level of compete.

Fortunately I'm pretty sure the organizations plan is to keep the pick as well.

A team in the position the Sens are in (young and looking good) with an owner like Melnyk (cheap) will never trade that pick.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Depending on how the lottery ends up, if Buffalo gets #1 and Ottawa gets #2, I can see a swap happening. On the condition that Ottawa is not picking Beniers, of course.

#1 for #2 + (if Ottawa has one or more, a later 2nd. If the Sens only have 1, a 3rd) + the promise that Ottawa is not picking the guy the Sabres want

That doesn’t make sense. If they were 1 and 2 and Buffalo wanted Beniers and they traded Ottawa with the condition they wouldn’t pick him what would be the point of the trade? Ottawa could pick the same player hypothetically a 1 or 2 with that condition.

Reactions: Barnaby

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Couple things to consider here:

1. Ottawa would rightly demand a lot for a top 4-5 pick. The pick is more valuable to them unless you blow them away with an offer containing blue chip prospects/young impact players.
2. This is not the draft where teams are going to pay a premium for the pick with less hockey being played in NA and the top end of the draft being so volatile. I would not be surprised if every team in the league has a different top 5.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I don’t know if you want to be a team coming off a last place finish and running into cap issues already

The discussion of our cap in this situation isn't something I'm going to get into in this thread as it's more of a Sens board post, but I've been running numbers and putting together projected rosters for the next few years and it's very doable. Only one really tight year out of the next 4. My numbers could be off, but I feel like I was pretty fair. Again, I'd only look to move it if Melnyk is committed to spending to the cap. Some savvy moves would need to get done, but this roster looks pretty good:

Stützle - Eichel - Dadonov
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Paul - Tierney - Brown
Formenton - Amadio - Watson
Bishop

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamilton
Mete - Zaitzev
Brown

UFA goalie
Daccord

I would have playoff expectations for that roster. Competitive top six, very sound bottom six, and an extremely mobile and pace pushing defense. Lots of UFA goalies that would come in cheaper than Murray and would provide better goaltending than he has given us this year.

I'd move the first if we could make this happen.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
The discussion of our cap in this situation isn't something I'm going to get into in this thread as it's more of a Sens board post, but I've been running numbers and putting together projected rosters for the next few years and it's very doable. Only one really tight year out of the next 4. My numbers could be off, but I feel like I was pretty fair. Again, I'd only look to move it if Melnyk is committed to spending to the cap. Some savvy moves would need to get done, but this roster looks pretty good:

Stützle - Eichel - Dadonov
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Paul - Tierney - Brown
Formenton - Amadio - Watson
Bishop

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamilton
Mete - Zaitzev
Brown

UFA goalie
Daccord

I would have playoff expectations for that roster. Competitive top six, very sound bottom six, and an extremely mobile and pace pushing defense. Lots of UFA goalies that would come in cheaper than Murray and would provide better goaltending than he has given us this year.

I'd move the first if we could make this happen.

how are you getting Eichel ?

edit: I mistakenly thought you were adding M Tkachuk as well as Eichel

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
So...

Not touching the core
Not touching the roster

What else are you adding to that 1st to get Eichel, if guys like Stultze Tkatchuk etc. arent part of the deal

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
So...

Not touching the core
Not touching the roster

What else are you adding to that 1st to get Eichel, if guys like Stultze Tkatchuk etc. arent part of the deal

Senator's unprotected 2021 1st
Colin White
Shane Pinto
Ridly Greig
Jacob Bernard-Docker

One top 5 pick, three first round talents + good middle six center for Eichel.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Senator's unprotected 2021 1st
Colin White
Shane Pinto
Ridly Greig
Jacob Bernard-Docker

One top 5 pick, three first round talents + good middle six center for Eichel.
Greig and JBD ars far from 1st rd talent. And Colin white was a 1st rounder, that's not what he's worth anymore. The only valuable pieces you are sending are Pinto and a 1st in a terrible draft.

Think more like

1st 2021
Sanderson
Pinto
Another 1st rd pick talent wise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad