Speculation: Ottawa’s 1st RP

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I don’t see teams moving up to the top 4 this year. Too much uncertainty among top prospects. Also, Ottawa has a million quality prospects but need a few more blue chip types so I don’t see how this works for them either unless they are moving the pick for an NHL ready prospect.

Reactions: banks and NyQuil

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If I may a different question. Why would OTT trade its pick? They are rebuilding and should be looking for as much young talent as they should get. If a team just missed the playoff and you think the one now player makes a them a playoff winning team, ok I can go there. But one or two vet players doesn't make OTT a contender.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Van wins pick #2 in lotto. Sens get pick #4.
Canucks offer pick 2 for Ottawa’s picks 4 and 37

Reactions: DarthProbert

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
IMO, whoever wins 1st overall should trade back a few spots. Historically, in years where there isn't a strong concensus for #1 or #2, or a defenseman is the consensus #1, trading back is the correct option.

I would look to trading it back to Seattle if I were the team that won, they'd be happier than a pig in shit to make a big splash.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthProbert

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If I may a different question. Why would OTT trade its pick? They are rebuilding and should be looking for as much young talent as they should get. If a team just missed the playoff and you think the one now player makes a them a playoff winning team, ok I can go there. But one or two vet players doesn't make OTT a contender.

That’s an excellent question.

It’s at least one season too soon.

Given that we had the good fortune to draft first overall when Chris Phillips was available, I’m fairly certain we will this year too.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It would help to know Ottawa’s needs. :thumbu:

First pairing or first line guys lol.

We have enough guys that can fill out the rest of the roster with guys like tkachuk, batherson, Norris, stutzle, pinto, formenton, white, Paul, brown... And Chabot, brannstrom, zub, JBD, Sanderson coming...

2nd line or 2nd pairing D will not be a need going forward though we could maybe use a veteran #2-#3 stopgap defenseman until our guys need a raise.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I think there will be at least a few teams at various points of the top 16 looking to get out, either to upgrade the big club or add picks in 2022.

I know that doesn't answer the question, just thought it was relevant.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It would help to know Ottawa’s needs. :thumbu:

A very high 1st round pick.

Oh wow, look at that! We already have one :D

EDIT: on a more serious note we need a legit Dman who could play with Chabot (we might already have him in JBD) or a top 6 C (we might already have him in Pinto).

Ottawa has needs but we have some solid prospects that should be filtering through to address those needs. Considering our owner, small market, smaller budget and fickle fanbase, giving up that 1st makes no sense.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Depending on how the lottery ends up, if Buffalo gets #1 and Ottawa gets #2, I can see a swap happening. On the condition that Ottawa is not picking Beniers, of course.

#1 for #2 + (if Ottawa has one or more, a later 2nd. If the Sens only have 1, a 3rd) + the promise that Ottawa is not picking the guy the Sabres want

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Matt Tkachuk for a top 3 pick + Nick Paul

Beniers
Guenther
Power

any of those three would be huge adds for the Flames if we do go for a quick rebuild. That said I’d prefer to go after Bowen Byram for Tkachuk as I think the Avs have the depth on the blue line to make that trade.

Reactions: Sicko

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Why would they trade their 1st? Seems like the top 5 is D heavy and the Sens look like they could still benefit from adding another stud D.

But to play along, what about this idea...

To OTT: Laine, TOR 1st, TB 1st

To CBJ: OTT 1st

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why would they trade their 1st? Seems like the top 5 is D heavy and the Sens look like they could still benefit from adding another stud D.

But to play along, what about this idea...

To OTT: Laine, TOR 1st, TB 1st

To CBJ: OTT 1st
So to move up like 5 spots, the Blue Jackets pay another 1st rounder + Laine? Get out of here with that crap.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
If Beniers is also Otawa's guy, however, I don't see a 2nd being enough incentive for them to make the trade.

Depending on how the lottery ends up, if Buffalo gets #1 and Ottawa gets #2, I can see a swap happening. On the condition that Ottawa is not picking Beniers, of course.

#1 for #2 + (if Ottawa has one or more, a later 2nd. If the Sens only have 1, a 3rd) + the promise that Ottawa is not picking the guy the Sabres want

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad