Confirmed Trade: [OTT/VAN] Alex Burrows for Jonathan Dahlen; Burrows re-signs 2 years/2.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I dont know much about Sweden's leagues but Zetterberg played for the same team in 2000
Dahlen = Zetterberg :laugh:

Timrå plays in Allsvenskan, which is Swedens tier two. As the name hints, its a national leauge (one of two in Sweden). At Zetterbergs time it was only the playoffs that was ..'Allsvensk/All Swedish'. So technically he did too play second tier, but only regional for the regular season. Swedish Div 1(which is 3rd tier) is divided into four regional leauges, and as you can imagen the talent there is very varied, from amateur no ambition teams, to some teams with a bit more serious ambition to get promotion to Allsvenskan and perhaps get some kind of pro organisation. Nowdays its not uncommon for good juniors to play in Allsvenskan, as they can mature as players there more quickly compared to junior leauges, and at the same time get playing time. Much more difficult to get playing time as a junior at the SHL level.

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Dahlén is not close to being the prospected Filip Forsberg was but this trade seems to set up for the possibility of it turning into something along those lines.

LtnCastillo

Registered Driver
Oct 13, 2006
Helsinski
LOL at the Forsberg talk. I'll be fine if he becomes a William Karlsson.

Burrows is becoming a shell of himself. Glad someone took him.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Zippgunn makes a lot of good points. I don't frequent the Canucks page enough to recognize the name, but a lot of us old farts have the same mindset he does.

Winning with class still means something to many folks. :)

Well, for a poster who claims to be somewhat aged, he sure isn't living up to his own criteria of behaving like a classy adult. Good points? I've got a huge preference for the kind of players you both claim to admire, but Burrows is known and respected for a lot of very good reasons, and it takes a serious amount of myopia to be unable to see that. I'm not arguing that Burrows was some kind of angel, but come on, the guy at his worst was a yappy irritant who embellished to draw penalties. Bure ended a players career with a viscous elbow and fans still actually applaud that. Seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance to me.

Winning with class ... shouldn't be vilifying your opponents and ignoring the trespasses from the players that play for the club one supports.

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Yeah, never argued against that. Just arguing against calling it a fleecing before Burrows plays even 1 minute for Ottawa. But that's HF for you.

Burrows is 35. Expecting anything other than what he's been the past year or two is foolish.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
This trade make sense for vancouver at least. Ottawa could probably have got something better at the free agents market before the season for that salary. I said then that they should have gone for Radulov, little higher salary but a much better player.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Burrows is 35. Expecting anything other than what he's been the past year or two is foolish.

eric staal 32 yes, but he took a step up when he moved to minnesota. Sometimes a change of scenery could be good even for a old player. But sure you can not expect it.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Well, for a poster who claims to be somewhat aged, he sure isn't living up to his own criteria of behaving like a classy adult. Good points? I've got a huge preference for the kind of players you both claim to admire, but Burrows is known and respected for a lot of very good reasons, and it takes a serious amount of myopia to be unable to see that. I'm not arguing that Burrows was some kind of angel, but come on, the guy at his worst was a yappy irritant who embellished to draw penalties. Bure ended a players career with a viscous elbow and fans still actually applaud that. Seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance to me.

Winning with class ... shouldn't be vilifying your opponents and ignoring the trespasses from the players that play for the club one supports.

I highly doubt many people respect Burrows outside Vancouver. Also Bure didn't end anybody's career with an elbow, certainly not Shane Churla who went on to play two more seasons after Bure elbowed him.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
You wont find someone with more loyalty and heart than Burrows.

Knows his role within team; can play up and down in lineup.
Persistent and relentness effort into danger areas to win battles.
Falls down to block shot in PK regardless of 100km+ point shots.
Scoring clutch playoff goals.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
eric staal 32 yes, but he took a step up when he moved to minnesota. Sometimes a change of scenery could be good even for a old player. But sure you can not expect it.

Eric Staal went from being a #1 C in Carolina to having lots of scoring help around him in Minny.

Ottawa just paid a 1st round draft pick value, for a 3rd line 25-30 point winger. In no way should you be defending this deal.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Cannot remember a trade I hated more initially then this one, I literally cannot find any upside from an Ottawa point of view, Burrows is a guy I will never cheer for and I am extremely disappointed, don't like the guy as a player nor a person from the laundry list of clown things he has done and said on the ice, I could let it go once or twice but the guy has a lengthy disturbing history.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought these 3 quotes were interesting

Dorion:

“We’re elated,†Dorion said Monday night. “The best sign for me is when I have five key veterans in our locker room come up (to me) and I think one wanted to hug me and the other (one) shook my hand and thought this was a great move for our organization,†Dorion told reporters Monday night.
“He refused trades, to the best of my knowledge, in our division. For him to come to Ottawa, (it) shows he has faith our team. I think he just didn’t want to be a rental for a few months and that’s what we’ve talked to him about,†Dorion said.
“We want Alex to be part of this organization. He’s only been part of one organization so far in his career. For us to bring a character guy like that, I’m happy if we can have a guy like that around guys like Colin White, Thomas Chabot and Logan Brown. When you put all the intangibles together, to me it was a no-brainer to do this deal.â€

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/02/27/senators-closing-in-on-deal-for-canucks-burrows

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Don't like with the 2 years honestly. Should of just brought someone up from the Ahl to play 3rd and 4th line duties until players recover as I can't see burrows bringing too much to the team jmo.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Don't like with the 2 years honestly. Should of just brought someone up from the Ahl to play 3rd and 4th line duties until players recover as I can't see burrows bringing too much to the team jmo.

Well he is a veteran player, you will not get that from AHL - not with Burrows experience at least. With that said, Vancouver won this one.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

This is the issue, none of the callups (Minus Maybe Varone) has shown they can compete at this level

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Established vet that is now signed to a very modest 2 years for 5M. To add veteran leadership for the remainder of the season and playoffs and perhaps more importantly mentorship of Brown, Chabot, and White.

I really like this deal for Ottawa. They could not wait till the offseason and take a chance of signing a UFA. Sends a clear message to the other players on the team too. Bolstering the line up with character players.

Dorion with a good move. He used a good young player who is not a 'A' prospect but solid 'B' prospect that the Sens can recoup if they draft well. Vancouver is rebuilding, they add more potential to the cupboards. No losers here.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Established vet that is now signed to a very modest 2 years for 5M. To add veteran leadership for the remainder of the season and playoffs and perhaps more importantly mentorship of Brown, Chabot, and White.

I really like this deal for Ottawa. They could not wait till the offseason and take a chance of signing a UFA. Sends a clear message to the other players on the team too.

Dorion with a good move. He used a good young player who is not a 'A' prospect but solid 'B' prospect that the Sens can recoup if they draft well. Vancouver is rebuilding, they add more potential to the cupboards. No losers here.
Dont bring your solid reasoning here :laugh:Add in the addition of Wingles for free and Condon for a 5th rounder and he did a pretty solid job :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad