Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Claude Giroux signs with the Senators (3 years, $6.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You're straining yourself awfully hard to make any of this sound even remotely coherent.

First of all, playoff games this season is not the be all end all of this. I mean, if Giroux plays at a comparable level for the next two years and the Sens make a couple of promising playoff runs, that somehow doesn't matter?

I don't even know if playoff games is the ultimate measure of whether or not this was a good investment. If Giroux helps Stüztle & Tkachuk, etc. become better pros longterm, and if his signing helps establish Ottawa as a destination of choice for higher end free agents, all of which helps them win playoff games down the line, then it will have been a wise investment regardless of what they do during the contract. And Giroux might not be finished for a while yet, he could well be a useful player on a contender into his 40's, because his brains and hands (his two elite tools, along with competitiveness) aren't leaving him absent a major injury.

You're entitled to your perspective on this but you're just wrong, and I wish people in general were more ok with being wrong rather than needing to double and triple down to try to save some face.

No, you're wrong...

• Wow
Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No doubt he had a great year for his age. Unfortunately, it meant nothing for the Sens. He's 36 next year, if he declines before the Sens make the playoffs it's a bad contract.
I'm curious if you actually think signing a great leader to help mentor a group of young players - at under 20 million for 3 years - will actually ever be a bad contract, or if you're just looking for a reaction?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm curious if you actually think signing a great leader to help mentor a group of young players - at under 20 million for 3 years - will actually ever be a bad contract, or if you're just looking for a reaction?

Leading them to what exactly? A great leader who leads them from missing the playoffs to missing the playoffs?

I’m assuming you thought Marleau was a great contract with that definition also?

Reactions: DarrylshutzSydor

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Leading them to what exactly? A great leader who leads them from missing the playoffs to missing the playoffs?

I’m assuming you thought Marleau was a great contract with that definition also?
Marleau was a great, great guy to have around Marner and Matthews coming until the league, I think anyone would agree.

Marleau the player, at 8.33% of the cap, is definitely not a good contract. Was pretty moronic. Hence giving up the Seth Jarvis pick to move him.

Giroux is a great, great guy to have around the Sens young guys.

Giroux the player, at 7.88% of the cap, has been a great add for the Sens, regardless of where they finished. He’s got 5 less points than Marleau’s entire tenure in Toronto, and certainly won’t need to be moved with a 1st rounder after this coming season.

Would it have been better to just not spend 6.5 million this year? Or spend the 6.5 million on a guy like Palat or Copp in free agency?

Not to mention that by the time Giroux is done this contract, he’ll still be younger than Marleau was at the time of signing his contract.

Last edited:

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Anyone who thinks the Giroux signing by the Sens was a bad signing is a total moron.

It was all good, from his career high in goals, defensive play, leadership, teaching the young guys how to be a pro, I can't see a single negative.

To say it's a good signing if the Sens had snuck into the playoffs and lost in 4-5 games to the Bruins, vs. being in the race and falling short = bad trade is not very smart.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Marleau was a great, great guy to have around Marner and Matthews coming until the league, I think anyone would agree.

Marleau the player, at 8.33% of the cap, is definitely not a good contract. Was pretty moronic. Hence giving up the Seth Jarvis pick to move him.

Giroux the player, at 7.88% of the cap, has been a great add for the Sens, regardless of where they finished. He’s got 5 less points than Marleau’s entire tenure in Toronto, and certainly won’t need to be moved with a 1st rounder after this coming season.

Would it have been better to just not spend 6.5 million this year? Or spend the 6.5 million on a guy like Palat or Copp in free agency?

Not to mention that by the time Giroux is done this contract, he’ll still be younger than Marleau was at the time of signing his contract.

You’re under the assumption Giroux will never decline. The contract is okay today and can be an anchor as early as next season. He’s going to be 36, not 26.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You’re under the assumption Giroux will never decline. The contract is okay today and can be an anchor as early as next season. He’s going to be 36, not 26.
I'm not under that assumption whatsoever.

The contract isn't okay today, it's an absolute steal. A 6.5 million dollar contract is okay for a 45 point player.

Are the Sens going to need to get out of his 6.5 million dollar contract to fit their core in? Nope, Sanderson is the only real core member left unsigned.

Are the Sens going to need to move him if he becomes a 15g-20a 3rd liner in his upcoming 35 and 36 year old seasons? Nope. Does that look likely? Not this upcoming year for sure.

Does he look as though he has no gas left in the tank? Nope, looks incredibly spry.

This isn't the same as signing 38 year old Marleau to a bigger 3 year deal, while also needing to give gigantic contracts out to their core, and also giving out a gigantic contract out to another center. The Sens core, sans Sanderson (and DBC if you consider him a core member), is signed to long term deals.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

The contract isn't okay today, it's an absolute steal. A 6.5 million dollar contract is okay for a 45 point player.

Are the Sens going to need to get out of his 6.5 million dollar contract to fit their core in? Nope, Sanderson is the only real core member left unsigned.

Are the Sens going to need to move him if he becomes a 15g-20a 3rd liner in his upcoming 35 and 36 year old seasons? Nope. Does that look likely? Not this upcoming year for sure.

Does he look as though he has no gas left in the tank? Nope, looks incredibly spry.

This isn't the same as signing 38 year old Marleau to a bigger 3 year deal, while also needing to give gigantic contracts out to their core, and also giving out a gigantic contract out to another center. The Sens core, sans Sanderson (and DBC if you consider him a core member), is signed to long term deals.

The Sens core isn’t a playoff team, they were passed by Buffalo this season. They are now the 6th best team… in the Atlantic.

If the Sens don’t care about improving their team, then sure they don’t have to sign anyone. However this team isn’t anywhere close to the playoffs.

They’re not like the Leafs where their core was good enough to carry them to the playoffs on ELC’s and 10M+ contracts. The Sens got inferior players at inferior prices, but as a result they actually need to use the salary cap to make up the gap.

DeBrincat actually needs a 9M qualifying offer or he’s a UFA this summer. Unless you mean the Sens are getting him for 6M again.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Sens core isn’t a playoff team, they were passed by Buffalo this season. They are now the 6th best team… in the Atlantic.

If the Sens don’t care about improving their team, then sure they don’t have to sign anyone. However this team isn’t anywhere close to the playoffs.

They’re not like the Leafs where their core was good enough to carry them to the playoffs on ELC’s and 10M+ contracts. The Sens got inferior players at inferior prices, but as a result they actually need to use the salary cap to make up the gap.

DeBrincat actually needs a 9M qualifying offer or he’s a UFA this summer. Unless you mean the Sens are getting him for 6M again.
So you're of the opinion that spending 6.5 million on a 79 point player would be better used...how? What's going to help them more than a 1st line winger? 6.5 for a magical 1st pairing D? Sens just added one for 4.5 the next 2 seasons. And then with no 80 point 1st line winger you're talking about how the Sens aren't deep enough up front?

I fully understand what's going on and needed with DBC, and what room will be left if/when he is traded at the draft. Hence me not including him in their core. Norris will come in, as will whatever is added with DBC's ~8.5 million in cap space saved from moving him.

Reactions: Rebels57

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

What utter nonsense lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Yep, Giroux is in tremendous shape. I don't expect him to fall off considerably next season or probably even the one after that. He's never been overly reliant on his physical tools to produce anyway. I think you're getting at least 60 points out of him the next 2 seasons and I can see him hitting at least 1200 career points prior to hanging them up.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Leafs fan and I definitely don't agree. f*** Marleau, and I say that regardless of his contract.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Anyone who thinks the Giroux signing by the Sens was a bad signing is a total moron.

It was all good, from his career high in goals, defensive play, leadership, teaching the young guys how to be a pro, I can't see a single negative.

To say it's a good signing if the Sens had snuck into the playoffs and lost in 4-5 games to the Bruins, vs. being in the race and falling short = bad trade is not very smart.
I would argue it's also moronic to call it a good signing in year 1 of a 3 year deal on a player who is 35+.

He had a good year, unfortunately it was irrelevant.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Would take G back in a heartbeat, especially for that price.

But no, the hockey gods and the great Chuck have smiled upon us yet again with Kevin Hayes destined to be the new face of the franchise, at $7.142, and for 3 more years, hooray

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If they aren't in a Playoff spot next year, they could probably flip him as a 1.5 year rental that could fetch a nice return. It was a bit of a "win now" move but as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff or play out his entire contract on the Sens with no playoffs, it's likely OK.

Reactions: flyerslducks

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No doubt he had a great year for his age. Unfortunately, it meant nothing for the Sens. He's 36 next year, if he declines before the Sens make the playoffs it's a bad contract.
Even if the Sens continue to be a non-playoff team for two more seasons, they will be able to trade Giroux for a good return.

You'd think people would have learned from Pavelski not to automatically assume players who hit 35 will always fall off a cliff. Especially players who have been remarkably healthy and consistent their entire careers.

240 points in 287 games since turning 35.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Even if the Sens continue to be a non-playoff team for two more seasons, they will be able to trade Giroux for a good return.

You'd think people would have learned from Pavelski not to automatically assume players who hit 35 will always fall off a cliff. Especially players who have been remarkably healthy and consistent their entire careers.

I never thought the Sens would ever have another Alfie, but here we are.

Many similarities; defensive play, leadership, offense, probable hall-of-famer due to longevity, intangibles and being a 2-way player.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I never thought the Sens would ever have another Alfie, but here we are.

Many similarities; defensive play, leadership, offense, probable hall-of-famer due to longevity, intangibles and being a 2-way player.
I'd also never think about trading him at any point unless he asked. IMO, he's home now.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Great players are showing people, time and time again, that they can continue to provide even as they age. Guys like giroux, pavelski, etc are those types of players. Idk why age is being thrown out there so much when their skill hasn’t dropped at all, as evidenced by the season he just had. Until he actually has a bad season, your take is futile. Nice try tho

Best me to it haha, I thought of pavelski as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland