Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Claude Giroux signs with the Senators (3 years, $6.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I like this signing so much as G ...Is kinda what we want Stu to become....Even though he plays center now,he can also easily switch back to LW say if Pinto develops...He is going to just bring much more than just solid production to the team here

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
As a general rule, I don't think it's a good idea for a GM of a young team to declare "the rebuild is over" and start committing significant cap space to players on the wrong side of their prime before the team has proven on the ice that they're a veteran player like that away from being a legit contender. I mentioned the Marleau signing in Toronto, which was obviously an extreme example, but less extreme examples would be Detroit's signing of Chiarot, and New Jersey's signing of Palat

I'm not saying Giroux isn't worth 6.5 million per for 3 years, and if he'd signed that deal in Calgary, I wouldn't have batted an eye, I'm just saying I don't think he's worth that to Ottawa

That's my perspective on the matter, and I'm not saying I'm right, and that differing points of view are wrong, I'm just sharing my thoughts on it

I think you are forgetting Ottawa has a good portion of their young core singed to long term contracts already. They have a pretty good idea of their cap management for the next three seasons. There's a very reasonable path to Ottawa maintain their core while making DeBrincat and Stutzle the highest paid players, with new contracts for players like Formenton, Pinto, Zub and Sanderson while staying below a cap of 83,500,00 for 23/24 and 84,500,000 for 24/25. They could even trade for Chychrun and it wouldn't be problem for the next three seasons. I'm sure there will be some turnover but that's your entire top 9 forwards and top 4 defensemen.

The only way the Giroux contract becomes an issue is if Pinto becomes a star by the end of the upcoming seasons, Sanderson does within the next two years or Forsberg completely falters.

Last edited:
Reactions: olli

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Giroux wasn’t going to play for a discount when he’s going to a team that has been in the lottery for years and more than likely will miss again this year.

Instead of chasing Cups, he’s going to try to build a contender at home and hopefully get one good run in before the contract is done.

He said as much in his press conference.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
I think you are forgetting Ottawa has a good portion of their young core singed to long term contracts already. They have a pretty good idea of their cap management for the next three seasons. There's a very reasonable path to Ottawa maintain their core while making DeBrincat and Stutzle the highest paid players, with new contracts for players like Formenton, Pinto, Zub and Sanderson while staying below a cap of 83,500,00 for 23/24 and 84,500,000 for 24/25. They could even trade for Chychrun and it wouldn't be problem for the next three seasons. I'm sure there will be some turnover but that's your entire top 9 forwards and top 4 defensemen.

The only way the Giroux contract becomes an issue is if Pinto becomes a star by the end of the upcoming seasons, Sanderson does within the next two years or Forsberg completely falters.
Formenton will be traded, possibly others to make room for cheaper contracts within 1-2 years.
Sens have a plethora of prospects who are playing well enough to potentially fill some bottom 6F/5-6D positions soon:
F: Greig, Jarventi, Sokolov, Crookshanks, Ostapchuk, Lodin, Boucher.
D: Thompson, Bernard-Docker, Klevin

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Formenton will be traded, possibly others to make room for cheaper contracts within 1-2 years.
Sens have a plethora of prospects who are playing well enough to potentially fill some bottom 6F/5-6D positions soon:
F: Greig, Jarventi, Sokolov, Crookshanks, Ostapchuk, Lodin, Boucher.
D: Thompson, Bernard-Docker, Klevin

I agree that's likely, a player like Greig will eventually force his way onto roster. Just saying Giroux's contract doesn't cause any cap issues for the team over the next three seasons.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Giroux is going to energized to play in Ottawa. Why?

1. He's from Ottawa. His parents, wife's parents, cousins and most of his friends live in the city
2. He just bought a new home 15 mins from the rink and joked about how much he loves the commute
3. He played junior in Ottawa, spends his offseason in the city and generally loves the city.
4. Pressure is considerably less in Ottawa than Florida to win now. He joins a team that is on the rise and gets to be a leader in the locker room
Definitely not less pressure. But he is motivated to play in Ottawa.

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Literally: ‘if G wanted to come home to Ottawa to mentor this group it should’ve been something like $9m/3 years’.

But feel free to enlighten me. If you don’t believe Giroux would or should accept that why concoct some fantasy situation around it?
The poster clearly has absolutely no clue. Look at what every other ufa has signed for. 4th liners sign for 3 million per. He's clueless no idea why anyone is bothering to respond. Tavares makes 4.5 million more a season and is a worse skater at this point on his favorite team. He is clearly projecting.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I remember before the start of the season there was a GM that commented something along the lines of "Bringing in Claude Giroux's character is the worst thing for the sens locker room."

I feel bad for whoever's GM that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad