OT: Other Sports 82

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Were the White Sox City Connect uniforms the best in 2023? I think so.

Ew, no. Those things looked like pajamas.

Off the top of my head, I'd go with either the blue Seattle jerseys (not counting the black pants) or the Diamondbacks serpientes jerseys.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

So a soon to be 30 yr old reliever with ERA near 4, A barely top 100 prospect with ok changeup and mediocre fastball + slider and a struggling pitching prospect in AA

Amazing work Getz, truly amazing

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

So Padres #5, #7 and #8 prospects and a journeyman reliever.

Pretty embarrassing to walk away with for Cease at this point

Padres didn't part with a single blue-chip top prospect

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
That is a real dogshit trade for a guy with Cy Young potential who makes next to no money with two years of control left

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Idk where I saw this, but Thorpe was throwing 88 mph in his last ST start supposedly.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

So Padres #5, #7 and #8 prospects and a journeyman reliever.

Pretty embarrassing to walk away with for Cease at this point

Padres didn't part with a single blue-chip top prospect

Not pretending I know (because I don’t) but a teams #5-7 & 8 ranked prospects seems like a pretty good return if your farm system sucks and you need to infuse some talent.
Is the Padres system that bad or were you expecting “starS” for your star?

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Not pretending I know (because I don’t) but a teams #5-7 & 8 ranked prospects seems like a pretty good return if your farm system sucks and you need to infuse some talent.
They weren't going to get megastars for Cease, not after a down year. Most analysts are grading the Sox return in the C+ to B range which isn't bad. I think we'd all have wanted more but it wasn't going to happen.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They weren't going to get megastars for Cease, not after a down year. Most analysts are grading the Sox return in the C+ to B range which isn't bad. I think we'd all have wanted more but it wasn't going to happen.
Right. He had an awful year on a bad team. It's not like they were trading prime Sale here.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Right. He had an awful year on a bad team. It's not like they were trading prime Sale here.

He really wasn't awful. Ks were down slightly, BBs were up slightly, homers up slightly, but the biggest difference was the spike in BABIP. The shitty defense made him look worse than he was.

Reactions: Pez68

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Padres had 5 guys in top 100

C Ethan Sales (8th)
SS/OF Jackson Merrill (12th)
LHP Robby Snelling (36th)
RHP Dylan Lesko (56th)
RHP Drew Thorpe (85th)

I would say its disappointing to not get any of the top prospects of Padres organization.

Thorpe himself was traded to Padres in December. It raises some red flags IMO for a top 100 prospect to be traded twice within a span of 3 months.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He really wasn't awful. Ks were down slightly, BBs were up slightly, homers up slightly, but the biggest difference was the spike in BABIP. The shitty defense made him look worse than he was.
And a 4.58 ERA. Pretty much every statistical category that matters was worse than just about every season he has pitched so far. By his standards, it was pretty much an awful season. Especially when you consider he was coming off a 2nd place CY finish, and top 25 MVP finish. It was pretty f***ing bad.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
And a 4.58 ERA. Pretty much every statistical category that matters was worse than just about every season he has pitched so far. By his standards, it was pretty much an awful season. Especially when you consider he was coming off a 2nd place CY finish, and top 25 MVP finish. It was pretty f***ing bad.
Yes, ERA was vastly inflated by bad defense. That's the whole point I'm making.

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad