OT: Other Sports 82

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It is not a shocker that the best ownership in Chicago has the keys to the most successful team. Wirtz family ownership clearly the best in town, after that its Ricketts. Not shocking the Cubs and Blackhawks have probably been the most consistent two teams in the last 10 years. Its all about ownership down.

its pretty sad when that lousy f***ing scumbag Ricketts is the 2nd best owner in a massive sports town.

That is a depressingly accurate way of putting it.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Resized_1000001962.jpeg

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The classic tale of Chicago sports is for a team to find a meaningful era of relevence surrounded by long eras of irrelevance before and after. All that's open to change is if the window is wide and accomplished (Bulls of the 90s and Hawks of the 10s) or narrow (Bears, Sox, and Cubs solo championships apiece).

And there's really no business for it. Chicago is a mega market in divisions with significantly smaller moneymakers and less appealing cities for incredibly wealthy free agents. Every team, even the Sox who inanely limit their own market footprint voluntarily, should be habitual divisional champs assuming competent ownership and management.

Reactions: Sarava and TLEH

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've watched the bad Hawks hockey the last 5 years and will continue to watch the next (hopefully) few seasons of bad Hawks hockey going forward. Part of that is because I love hockey the most now out of all the other sports and part of it is that I trust Hawks ownership to steer things in the right direction.

We have a progressive ownership and Front Office combination now that so far has made way more good decisions than bad. We have a great prospect pool, a coach who apparently gets guys skating and working hard, and ownership who will spend money when necessary.

I understand not wanting to be a fair-weather fan but even growing up a die hard Sox fan as a kid and playing baseball through highschool I can't muster the energy to give a shit about the White Sox. It's probably ownership. They seem to routinely be making poor decisions and have priorities in place that haven't resulted in contending for Championships. We're talking incompetency spanning almost 2 decades now. Same with the Bears, these ownership groups are really the only common denominator here and they routinely can't find a way to win. Failure after failure after failure.

Being a Sox or Bears fan seems futile. Maybe everything comes together for a single season and they have a great team but that's so often not happening I don't know how you guys continue to watch. I'd rather do other things with my time than sit down and watch a Sox game when I know the organization has such a toxic M.O.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The classic tale of Chicago sports is for a team to find a meaningful era of relevence surrounded by long eras of irrelevance before and after. All that's open to change is if the window is wide and accomplished (Bulls of the 90s and Hawks of the 10s) or narrow (Bears, Sox, and Cubs solo championships apiece).

And there's really no business for it. Chicago is a mega market in divisions with significantly smaller moneymakers and less appealing cities for incredibly wealthy free agents. Every team, even the Sox who inanely limit their own market footprint voluntarily, should be habitual divisional champs assuming competent ownership and management.
Never even really thought about it like that in terms of the markets in their divisions. Embarrassing.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I’m not sure that spending money to put a political ad for an Indianapolis mayoral candidate on Marquee Sports is the best use of campaign funds…

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
The Sox took two special arms in Kopech and Crochet and completely ruined them.
Nice Job, dolts.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I hate Notre Dame way more than I hate Ohio State, so that was a net positive.

In much more significant news, Illinois won yesterday.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Sox took two special arms in Kopech and Crochet and completely ruined them.
Nice Job, dolts.

Kopech was far from special and already had red flags when Sox traded for him

As for Crochett arm concerns were there since he was drafted due to his pitching style and toll it physically takes on arm.

Neither were "Ruined" by White Sox

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Kopech was far from special and already had red flags when Sox traded for him

As for Crochett arm concerns were there since he was drafted due to his pitching style and toll it physically takes on arm.

Neither were "Ruined" by White Sox

They rushed Crochet to the big leagues when they thought they were going to "compete" ala Sale/Rodon and he had FAR less innings pitched than both of those guys coming out, who ironically had those same "arm concerns" due to their deliveries. They didn't give the kid a chance to develop at all in the minors and didn't give him a chance to build up his arm to start games not to mention he lost a full year of development due to covid coming out. He never had any chance to work on his secondary pitches and was basically a 2 pitch, really a 1 pitch pitcher (fastball) because of it. They 100% ruined Crochet.

Now Kopech on the other hand I can't really argue. The dude is a mental headcase. Million dollar arm, 10 cent head. From him punching a teammate in the minors due to his hot headedness then dating IG celebrities and actresses then not wanting to be a reliever and work on his weaknesses. His development got pushed back due to TJS then he decided not to pitch after covid because of mental issues. Do I think he can pitch better away from this dumpster fire of an organization? Sure, but likely not the projected "top of the rotation" guy Hahn thought he was acquiring. Maybe if he can salvage his career under a new pitching coach and an organization who has a clue with analytics, he can still be a #3 in a rotation.

I'm not bullish on Kopech as I am with Crochet. Kopech ruined Kopech.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I'm probably one of the very few who watched the Soldheim Cup (women's golf) this morning but this morning's single matches were very competitive, back-n-forth, all day. Cup went down to the final two matches and wasn't decided until hole #17.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Cubs secured a winning record.

Not going to lie, that was unthinkable to me six months ago.
Which is why I don’t understand all the Ross hate from all the Earl Weavers here. Ross seems to get no credit for what works but is blamed for each move that doesn’t.
I think all 1st time managers have a lot to learn as they apply what they think they know to actual game situations.
Ross has been right more than not and a probable 72-77 win team will likely finish with around 85 wins.
I think he has a great mind for the game and the respect of the players.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I once again join to write that the baseball manager in 2023 is RARELY the problem. Analytics and FO people make most of the decisions. The manager is more like a chaperone at this point. Keep everyone in line and keep their spirits up. Talk to them when struggling. Cheer them on when playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad